Mexican Wedge Salad with Creamy Avocado-Cilantro Dressing
One of the things I like to do after I dine a restaurant is see if I can recreate what I ate. And then tweak it to taste exactly how I want it, aka make it better.
This easy and healthy salad was inspired by a similar salad I ate at a restaurant but has more veggies for added texture and the dressing has amazing flavor.
It’s an easy blender dressing that comes together in one minute flat and it’s packed with flavor from avocado, cilantro, Greek yogurt, lime juice, green onions, garlic, and a pinch of cayenne. It’s thick, creamy, and reminds me of this Creamy Lime-Cilantro Dressing but with avocado.
You’ll have extra dressing which keeps for 1 week in the fridge. It’s easy to eat healthy when you have homemade salad dressing ready and waiting.
I topped the salad with cheese and baked tortilla strips. The slight saltiness of the cheese and the crunch of the tortilla strips takes the salad from good to great.
The salad is naturally vegetarian (vegan if you use vegan cheese or omit it) and gluten-free. Perfect for bikini season coming up.
Mexican Wedge Salad with Creamy Avocado-Cilantro Dressing
This is easy and healthy salad has lots of veggies for added texture and the dressing is loaded with flavor. It’s an easy blender dressing that comes together in one minute flat and it’s packed with flavor from avocado, cilantro, Greek yogurt, lime juice, green onions, garlic, and a pinch of cayenne. It’s thick, creamy, and extra dressing keeps for 1 week in the fridge. I topped the salad with cheese and baked tortilla strips. The slight saltiness of the cheese and the crunch of the tortilla strips takes the salad from good to great.
- 8 small (4-inch) corn tortillas, cut into 1/4-inch wide strips
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, or to taste
- 1 head iceberg lettuce, cored and quartered into wedges
- 1/2 cup corn (I used frozen)
- 1/2 cup red bell peppers, diced small
- 1/2 cup cooked black beans
- 1/2 cup red onion, finely minced
- 1 medium ripe Hass avocado, peeled and pitted
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups cilantro leaves from about 1 medium bunch cilantro (stems discarded), loosely packed in measuring cup
- 6 ounces Greek yogurt (I used 0% fat; sour cream may be substituted)
- 3 to 4 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 green onion, trimmed and sliced into about 6 segments
- 1 to 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, or to taste
- pinch cayenne pepper, optional and to taste
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon granulated sugar, optional and to taste
- 1 to 2 tablespoons water, optional and as necessary for consistency
- 1 cup grated queso fresco (a shredded Mexican cheese blend may be substituted)
- Preheat oven to 375F, line a baking sheet with a Silpat or foil to save cleanup time, loosely scatter the tortilla strips, evenly drizzle with olive oil, evenly sprinkle with kosher salt, toss with hands to coat evenly, and bake for about 15 to 18 minutes, or until crisp and lightly golden brown; set aside. While strips bake, assemble the salad.
- Place each wedge of lettuce on a separate plate and evenly sprinkle each wedge with corn, red peppers, black beans, and red onion; set aside.
- To the canister of a blender, add the avocado, cilantro, Greek yogurt, lime juice, green onions, garlic, salt, pepper, optional cayenne pepper, sugar, and blend on high speed until smooth and well combined. If necessary for consistency, add the water. Taste dressing to check for seasoning balance and make any necessary adjustments, i.e. more salt, pepper, sugar, lime juice, etc.
- Drizzle desired amount of dressing over each salad, evenly sprinkle with cheese, tortilla strips, and serve immediately. You will have extra dressing which will keep airtight in the fridge for up to 1 week. Extra tortilla strips will keep airtight at room temp for up to 5 days.
All images and content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or simply link back to this post for the recipe. Thank you.
Loaded Chicken Taco Salad with Creamy Lime-Cilantro Dressing – Fast, easy, fresh and healthy! All your favorite taco flavors in one big kickin’ salad that everyone will love!
Easy 30-Minute Homemade Chicken Tortilla Soup – Chicken, tomatoes, corn, black beans, avocado, cheese, and addictively crunchy tortilla strips! Fast, easy weeknight meal, and better than from a restaurant!
Chicken Tortilla Lettuce Wraps – Filled with Mexican flavors, there’s taco-seasoned chicken, tomatoes, corn, peppers, cilantro, and cheese! Easy, healthy, ready in 10 minutes, and a family favorite!
Lime Cilantro Chicken with Mixed Rice and Black Beans – Easy, one skillet, 15-minute meal! Tons of textures and bold flavors in every bite! The lime makes this dish just pop!
Avocado, Black Bean and Corn Salad with Lime-Cumin Vinaigrette – Everything tastes better with avocado! Easy, healthy and tons of flavor!
Easy Six-Layer Baked Taco Cups – Fast, easy, and accidentally healthy! Your favorite taco fixings in individually-portioned cups!
Do-It-Yourself Guacamole Bar – Make your own guacamole bar and have fun taste-testing the options! Great party idea that everyone loves!
Easy Restaurant-Style Blender Salsa – Make your own salsa in minutes! Fast, easy, goofproof and tastes 1000x better than anything you’d buy!
Cheesy Chicken Enchilada Quinoa – All the flavor of chicken enchiladas, minus the work of rolling them!! Juicy chicken, corn, black beans, peppers, and loads of melted cheese! Easy, one-skillet, and ready in 30 minutes!!
Sweet Potato, Corn, and Black Bean Enchiladas (vegetarian) – Healthier comfort food that everyone will love! Fast, easy, and tastes amazing!
Easy 30-Minute Chicken Fajitas – Make restaurant-style fajitas at home in just 30 minutes! Juicy chicken, caramelized onions, and bell peppers pack so much flavor! This easy recipe will go into your regular rotation!
Cheese, Black Beans, and Corn-Stuffed Sweet Potatoes with Avocado Crema (vegan, GF) – A healthy meal or hearty side that’s easy, ready in 15 minutes, satisfying, and doesn’t taste like health food!
Lightened Up Corn and Bean Quesadillas with Avocado-Mango-Chipotle Salsa (vegetarian/vegan option) – You don’t have to derail your diet to enjoy hearty and satisfying comfort food! This version is only about 300 calories and ready in 15 minutes!