Skinny Mexican Bean Salad with Corn
This Mexican bean salad is such a fast and easy recipe to make. Plus, it’s loaded with flavor and textures galore. Two kinds of beans, juicy corn and tomatoes, crisp peppers, and green onions are tossed in a lime-chili-cumin vinaigrette that’s perfectly light.
Healthy Corn and Bean Salad
This corn and bean salad is great for summertime potlucks and picnics, and it’s also great for lunch or as a meatless dinner. You don’t even need to turn on your oven. Love these types of recipes in the summer!
Mexican corn and bean salad is healthy, loaded with fiber and protein, naturally gluten-free and vegetarian. If you omit the cheese, it becomes accidentally vegan. I’m all for skinny, bikini-friendly salads especially this time of year. I couldn’t stop eating it.
How to Make Mexican Bean Salad with Corn
For this Mexican corn and bean salad, you’ll need two types of beans, corn, grape or cherry tomatoes, cilantro, bell pepper, and a soft, crumbly cheese. I had queso fresco cheese in my fridge, which is a classically Mexican, mild-flavored, cow’s milk cheese. I get it at my regular grocery store but you can add another favorite cheese if you can’t find it.
And for the Mexican salad dressing, you’ll need olive oil, lime juice, apple cider vinegar, honey, and some spices. So simple, right?
To make this Mexican bean salad, you’ll first need to prep the veggies (dice the bell pepper, halve the tomatoes, etc). Combine everything in a large bowl and set aside.
Then, make the dressing by whisking together all the ingredients. Give it a taste and add more salt and pepper to suit your tastes. Pour the dressing over the salad and toss to combine.
This corn and bean salad needs to chill in the fridge for a few hours to give the flavors time to come together. This is a crucial step, so don’t skip it!
How to Store Bean Salad
This salad will keep in the fridge for up to four days. You’ll need to store it covered, though.
The longer the salad sits in the fridge, the more liquid will collect at the bottom of the bowl. If that bothers you, either drain some of it off or give the salad a good stir to redistribute the dressing.
To liven up the leftover Mexican bean salad, sprinkle on some fresh cilantro or squeeze extra lime juice on top.
Tips for the Best Bean Salad
This Mexican corn and bean salad calls for canned corn, but you can substitute fresh or frozen corn instead. In general, any of these ingredients can be changed as you see fit (green bell pepper can be used in place of red, agave can be used in place of honey, etc).
And if you like spicy foods, you may want to add some finely diced jalapeño to this bean and corn salad. Remove the seeds first if you don’t want it to be too spicy!
More Healthy Salad Recipes:
- Chicken Avocado Black Bean Salad — A Mexican-inspired salad with tender chicken, black beans, creamy avocado, juicy tomatoes, cilantro, lime juice and more.
- Tomato, Mozzarella, and Basil Quinoa Salad — A simple, flavorful salad that’s perfect in the summertime.
- Creamy Mexican Grilled Corn Salad — Greek yogurt makes this salad super creamy while adding a healthy dose of protein!
- Mediterranean Cobb Salad — Classic Cobb salad got a makeover! Loaded with roasted red peppers, artichoke hearts, and more, you’ll love this salad.
- one 15.25-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed (I used no-salt added)
- one 15.25-ounce can dark kidney beans, drained and rinsed (I used 50% reduced sodium)
- one 15.25-ounce can corn, drained and rinsed (I used no-salt added; fresh or frozen corn may be substituted)
- 1 cup grape or cherry tomatoes, halved if desired
- 3/4 cup red bell peppers, diced small
- 3/4 cup queso fresco, diced small (another cheese may be substituted)
- 1/2 cup green onions, sliced into thin rounds
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro, finely minced, or to taste
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 to 2 tablespoon agave or honey
- 1 tablespoon chili powder, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon cumin, or to taste
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt, or to taste
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
- To a large bowl, add all ingredients and stir to combine; set aside.
- To a medium bowl, add all ingredients, whisk to combine, pour over salad, and toss to combine.
- Taste salad, check for seasoning balance, and make any necessary flavor adjustments, i.e. more salt, pepper, vinegar, honey, etc. and add as desired.
- Cover, refrigerate for at least 3 hours to allow flavors to marry, and serve chilled.
- Salad will keep airtight in the fridge for up to 4 days, noting more liquid will collect as time passes.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 460Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 15mgSodium: 1240mgCarbohydrates: 68gFiber: 14gSugar: 20gProtein: 20g
Even More Easy Mexican Recipes:
Avocado, Black Bean and Corn Salad with Lime-Cumin Vinaigrette – Everything tastes better with avocado! Easy, healthy and tons of flavor!
Loaded Beef Taco Salad with Creamy Lime Cilantro Dressing – Loaded with your favorite taco fixings, minus the shells, to keep things healthier without sacrificing any flavor! The dressing is easy, creamy and irresistible!
Loaded Chicken Taco Salad with Creamy Lime-Cilantro Dressing – Fast, easy, fresh and healthy! All your favorite taco flavors in one big kickin’ salad that everyone will love!
Mexican Wedge Salad with Creamy Avocado-Cilantro Dressing – A Mexican twist on the classic wedge salad with black beans, peppers, corn, crunchy tortilla strips, and more!! Easy, healthy, and the dressing is so flavorful!!
Blueberry Corn Salsa – Berries, corn, jalapeno, cilantro, and more in this easy and healthy salsa that’s ready in 5 minutes!! So good you can eat it on it’s own like a salad! The sweet fruit balances the heat and it’s a guaranteed hit!
Lime Cilantro Chicken with Mixed Rice and Black Beans – Easy, one skillet, 15-minute meal! Tons of textures and bold flavors in every bite! The lime makes this dish just pop!
Tropical Chickpea Salad – Pineapple, mango, pineapple salsa, and pico de gallo tossed with chickpeas for a salad that tastes like a tropical vacation! Easy, ready in 5 minutes, loaded with sweet-yet-savory flavor, and so healthy!