Avocado Black Bean Mexican Salad – EASY, ready in 10 minutes, and there’s so much FLAVOR from the lime-cumin-chili vinaigrette!! Great for lunch or a meatless Monday dinner! Accidentally vegan, gluten-free, HEALTHY, and DELISH!!
Light and easy salads that you don’t have to turn on your oven for is what August heat means for me.
This one is fast, easy, ready in 10 minutes, and full of Mexican-inspired flavors from the lime-cumin-chili vinaigrette.
The vinaigrette perfectly coats tender chunks of avocado, hearty black beans, and juicy tomatoes, cucumbers, and green onions. If you have tomatoes and cucumbers in your garden, this is a great way to showcase them. If you happen to have corn, bell peppers, or queso fresco on hand, they’re great additions.
The vinaigrette is zippy, tangy-yet-sweet, and like all homemade dressings, experiment with it and tweak it based on your palette and preferences.
The salad is a marriage of these two salads: Avocado, Black Bean and Corn Salad with Lime-Cumin Vinaigrette and Skinny Mexican Bean and Corn Salad and is perfect for a no-fuss lunch. Or make it as a side dish for dinner served with your other Mexican favorites. From Labor Day to Cinco de Mayo parties, it’s perfect.
I like to make the salad 4 to 8 hours in advance and allow it to remain covered in the fridge to help the flavors marry. The avocado may oxidize slightly, although the lime in the vinaigrette helps prevent it, but I’m willing to sacrifice a slight color change for enhanced flavor.
Pin This Recipe
Avocado Black Bean Mexican Salad
The salad is fast, easy, ready in 10 minutes, great for lunch or as a dinner side, and full of flavor from the lime-cumin-chili vinaigrette. It’s tangy-yet-sweet and perfectly coats tender chunks of avocado, hearty black beans, and juicy tomatoes, cucumbers, and green onions. Add corn, bell peppers, or queso fresco if desired.
- 1 or 2 medium ripe avocados, peeled and diced
- one 15-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed (I use no-salt added
- 2 cups cherry or grape tomatoes, halved if desired
- 2 cups English cucumber (about half of one large cucumber), diced into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup green onions, trimmed and sliced into thin rounds
- 2 to 4 tablespoons fresh cilantro, optional
- 2 to 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 to 3 tablespoons honey or agave (use the later to keep vegan)
- 2 to 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt, or to taste
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
- pinch cayenne pepper, optional and to taste
- Salad – Combine all ingredients in a large bowl; set aside while you make the vinaigrette.
- Vinaigrette – Combine all ingredients in a small jar with a lid and shake vigorously or in a small bowl and whisk together. Taste dressing and make tweaks if necessary according to taste preferences, i.e. more salt, more honey, more chili powder, etc.
- Slowly drizzle about half of the vinaigrette over salad and toss gently to combine. You may not use all the vinaigrette depending on preference; extra vinaigrette will keep airtight for many days in the fridge.
- Salad may be served immediately or up to 1 to 2 days later, noting that avocado will likely oxidize as time passes. I find the flavors marry beautifully after about 4 to 8 hours covered in the fridge, and am willing to compromise the slight color change of the avocado for the enhanced flavor. May be served chilled or at room temp.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 255Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 465mgCarbohydrates: 32gFiber: 9gSugar: 13gProtein: 7g
Avocado, Black Bean and Corn Salad with Lime-Cumin Vinaigrette – Everything tastes better with avocado! Easy, healthy and tons of flavor!
Skinny Mexican Bean and Corn Salad – Two kinds of beans, juicy corn, tomatoes, peppers, and more tossed in a light chili-lime-cumin vinaigrette! Healthy, easy, ready in 5 minutes, and loaded with flavor!!
Loaded Beef Taco Salad with Creamy Lime Cilantro Dressing – Loaded with your favorite taco fixings, minus the shells, to keep things healthier without sacrificing any flavor! The dressing is easy, creamy and irresistible!
Loaded Chicken Taco Salad with Creamy Lime-Cilantro Dressing – Fast, easy, fresh and healthy! All your favorite taco flavors in one big kickin’ salad that everyone will love!
Mexican Wedge Salad with Creamy Avocado-Cilantro Dressing – A Mexican twist on the classic wedge salad with black beans, peppers, corn, crunchy tortilla strips, and more!! Easy, healthy, and the dressing is so flavorful!!
Blueberry Corn Salsa – Berries, corn, jalapeno, cilantro, and more in this easy and healthy salsa that’s ready in 5 minutes!! So good you can eat it on it’s own like a salad! The sweet fruit balances the heat and it’s a guaranteed hit!
Lime Cilantro Chicken with Mixed Rice and Black Beans – Easy, one skillet, 15-minute meal! Tons of textures and bold flavors in every bite! The lime makes this dish just pop!
Tropical Chickpea Salad – Pineapple, mango, pineapple salsa, and pico de gallo tossed with chickpeas for a salad that tastes like a tropical vacation! Easy, ready in 5 minutes, loaded with sweet-yet-savory flavor, and so healthy!
hey girl- this salad looks so yummy!
Thank you! Have a great week!
I could eat this salad every day! Just pass me the chips and I can eat the whole bowl! I know my Hubby will agree! :D Pinned!
I could eat this salad every day too! It’s perfect when it’s sweltering hot like it is in San Diego right now too!
This salad looks delicious! Its so nice to see a Mexican recipe without corn in it!
I cant wait to try this one! And bravo for including the nutritional analysis as a member of my family cannot tolerate many carbs.
Thank you, Francine
You’re welcome, enjoy!
What do I do if I hate lime flavor? ??♀️
Use lemon, try to see what happens if you omit it, make a different recipe, start to enjoy lime flavor….would be my top suggestions.
This looks great – fantastic idea for a work lunch.
Thanks – perfect work lunch indeed!
I remember both of the salads you married for this one! Jon loves black beans and avocado together so he’ll appreciate this over the weekend. I already know I’m making extra vinaigrette!!
Yes you’ll love it – both the vinaigrette and the salads since you’ve already made both of them :)