Loaded Chicken Taco Salad with Creamy Lime-Cilantro Dressing
Loaded Chicken Taco Salad — Fast, easy, fresh and healthy!! All your favorite taco flavors in one big kickin’ salad that everyone will love!!
Loaded Chicken & Doritos Taco Salad
I have fond memories of my mom making tacos a few times a month when I was growing up. The smell of taco seasoning wafting through the air signaled I was in for a feast.
I’ve also been to plenty of potlucks and parties where ‘taco salad’ is served but there’s an absence of any lettuce other than a few shreds of iceberg. In place of the lettuce, there are thick layers of sour cream, cream cheese, cheese, guacamole, and refried beans topped with tortilla chips. Not exactly a skinny ‘salad’.
For this chicken taco salad recipe, I brought the lettuce back into salad and loaded it with all my favorite taco fixings. There’s juicy chicken cooked with the comforting flavors of taco seasoning, tomatoes, and corn, protein-packed chewy black beans, creamy avocado, salty cheese, and crunchy tortilla chips. So much texture and flavor in every bite!
I used canned corn and canned black beans from my local VONS store. A well-stocked cantry helps you save time and make nutritious, flavorful, healthy meals you can feel good about serving.
The 30-second whisk-together taco salad dressing can be made as mild, spicy, and tart as desired. I love limes and am a huge cilantro fan and add plenty but adjust to taste. Extra works beautifully as a veggie dip.
This easy chicken taco salad salad is ready in 15 minutes, great for easy lunches, or as a healthier dinner the whole family will love.
What’s in Loaded Chicken Taco Salad?
To make the loaded chicken and Doritos taco salad, you’ll need:
- Olive oil
- Chicken breasts
- Taco seasoning
- Romaine lettuce
- Canned corn
- Canned black beans
- Shredded cheese
- Seasoned tortilla chips
And to make the creamy cilantro lime dressing, you’ll need:
- Sour cream
- Lime juice
- Fresh cilantro
- Granulated sugar
How to Make Chicken Taco Salad
Season the diced chicken with taco seasoning, then cook in an oiled skillet until no longer pink on the inside. Set aside while assembling the rest of the loaded taco salad.
Add the lettuce to a large platter, then evenly sprinkle with the diced tomatoes, corn, black beans, avocado, cheese, Doritos, and chicken.
Lastly, whisk together the cilantro lime taco salad dressing and drizzle evenly over the salad. Dig in!
Can I Add Other Toppings?
If you have other vegetables like bell peppers, red onions, or black olives that you want to toss in, go for it. If you don’t have something on hand or don’t like it, omit. It’s a flexible recipe.
Can I Prep Chicken Taco Salad in Advance?
If desired, you can cook the chicken and whisk together the dressing ahead of time. Once assembled, this Doritos taco salad is best enjoyed right away since the lettuce starts wilting after it touches the dressing and tomatoes.
Tips for Making the Best Taco Salad
I like to control the amount of salt that goes into my food, so I used reduced sodium black beans and taco seasoning. If you use products that contain the normal amount of sodium, you may not need to add any extra salt to this dish.
For a spicier chicken taco salad, use a spicier taco seasoning or add a pinch of cayenne pepper to the chicken.
To make the taco salad dressing a little healthier, use lite mayo and lite sour cream. Or, substitute Greek yogurt for the sour cream.
Chicken Taco Salad
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/4 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1.25-ounce packet taco seasoning, divided (I use reduced sodium, medium heat)
- 4 cups romaine lettuce
- 1 or 2 medium tomatoes, diced (I use vine-ripened; Roma or cherry tomatoes may be substituted)
- 1/2 cup canned corn, drained (fresh or frozen may be substituted)
- 1/2 cup canned black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 medium Hass avocado, peeled and diced
- 1 cup shredded cheese (I use a monterey Jack and cheddar blend)
- 1 cup seasoned tortilla chips, crushed (I crush Doritos in my palm)
Taco Salad Dressing
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise (lite okay)
- 1/4 cup sour cream (lite okay, plain Greek yogurt may be substituted)
- 3 to 4 tablespoons lime juice, or as necessary for flavor and consistency
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar, optional and to taste
- To a large skillet, add the olive oil, chicken, evenly sprinkle with 1 heaping tablespoon taco seasoning, and cook over medium-high heat for about 5 minutes, flipping intermittently so all sides cook evenly. Cooking time will vary based on thickness of chicken breasts and sizes of pieces. Allow chicken to rest in pan off the heat while you assemble the salad.
- To a large platter, add the lettuce, and evenly sprinkle with the tomatoes, corn, black beans, avocado, cheese, tortilla chips, and chicken; set aside.
- To a small bowl, add the mayo, sour cream, lime juice, 1 heaping tablespoon taco seasoning, and whisk to combine.
- Add the cilantro and stir to incorporate. Add additional lime juice to thin out dressing if desired.
- Taste dressing and depending on how much lime juice was used, add sugar to taste. Evenly drizzle dressing over salad.
- Extra dressing will keep airtight for up to 5 days in the fridge and makes a great veggie dip.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 836Total Fat: 52gSaturated Fat: 13gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 35gCholesterol: 168mgSodium: 1768mgCarbohydrates: 33gFiber: 9gSugar: 7gProtein: 57g
More Mexican Dinner Recipes:
Loaded Beef Taco Salad with Creamy Lime Cilantro Dressing — This beef taco salad is loaded with crisp romaine lettuce, sweet corn, juicy tomatoes, and more! It comes together in just 20 minutes and is topped with the most incredible cilantro lime dressing.
Taco Pasta Salad — EASY, ready in 20 minutes, and loaded with great Mexican-inspired ingredients including corn, black beans, tomatoes, cilantro, avocado, and more!!
Avocado, Black Bean and Corn Salad with Lime-Cumin Vinaigrette — Everything tastes better with avocado! Easy, healthy and tons of flavor! Pair with diced chicken for a full meal.
Black Bean Burrito Bowl Salad – Your favorite burrito ingredients minus the meat and extra carbs to keep things HEALTHIER!! Ready in 10 minutes and keeps you satisfied but not stuffed!
Chicken Avocado Black Bean Salad — A Mexican-inspired salad with tender chicken, black beans, creamy avocado, juicy tomatoes, cilantro, lime juice and more! EASY, ready in 20 minutes, HEALTHY, and packed with fiesta FLAVORS galore!
Taco-Stuffed Avocados — Like avocados? Then you are going to LOVE these taco STUFFED avocados with ground beef, CHEESE, and more!! EASY, ready in 15 minutes, a family favorite, and perfect for busy weeknights!!
Very Veggie Rice and Beans — EASY, ready in 15 minutes, and amps up rice and beans with an abundance of vegetables!! Healthy, Mexican-inspired food that tastes like comfort food and keeps you satisfied for hours!!
Post is brought to you by Albertson’s and Safeway. Cans Get You Cooking. The recipe, images, text, and opinions expressed are my own. #recipe #dinner #hungry
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Albertsons & Safeway. The opinions and text are all mine.