Easy Six-Layer Baked Taco Cups
This post may contain affiliate links.
Everything just tastes better when it’s baked in individual portions.
The cute factor makes it hard to resist devouring the whole batch.
Whip up the taco cups for a fast and easy dinner option on busy weeknights. Extras can be easily tossed into lunches for the next day.
Or they’re perfect as an easy party appetizer that tastes more complicated than it really is. They’re also accidentally healthy and vegetarian. Consider it a New Year’s resolution recipe.
The taco cups are ready in 30 minutes with ingredients you likely already have on hand: taco shells, canned black beans, tomatoes, cheese, sour cream, salsa, avocado. You can bump it up to eight layers if you want to throw in some canned black olives or canned jalepeno peppers.
February is National Canned Food Month. A well-stocked cantry helps you make nutritious and flavorful meals you can feel good about serving, and cans help you save prep time and get a healthy meal on the table more often.
You can keep them vegan by using vegan cheese and vegan sour cream. Or if you have leftover chicken or beef, use that instead of, or in addition to the beans.
The cumin-dusted beans, the gooey cheese, the juicy tomatoes, and the slight heat from the salsa with the cooling sour cream and creamy avocado made these an automatic hit with my family.
I just loved them because they literally have all my favorite savory ingredients in every bite.
I could never get sick of these.
- six 5-inch tortillas (I used white corn tortillas)
- one 15-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- one 3.8-ounce can sliced black olives, optional
- one 4-ounce can sliced jalepeno peppers, optional
- cumin, for sprinkling
- 1 medium ripe tomato, diced (Roma or vine-ripened)
- about 1 cup shredded cheese (Mexican blend, Monterrey Jack, Pepper Jack, queso fresco, etc.)
- salsa, for garnishing
- sour cream, for garnishing
- 1 medium ripe avocado, peeled and diced for garnishing
- Preheat oven to 350F. Spray a Non-Stick 12-Cup Regular Muffin Pan with cooking spray or grease the pan; set aside. Tip – Recipe as written yields 6 cups rather than 12 so I stagger the cups in the pan to allow each to have a bit more overhang room.
- Add 6 tortillas to prepared pan, pressing them down lightly. The edges will naturally fold in.
- Add about 2 tablespoons beans to each cup. (You’ll have a small amount of beans left over; save for a future use).
- Optionally, add a few olives and jalepeno peppers to each cup, to taste.
- Sprinkle each cup with a generous pinch of cumin.
- Add about 2 tablespoons tomatoes to each cup.
- Add about 3 tablespoons cheese to each cup.
- Bake for about 25 minutes, or until cheese has melted and tortilla shells are lightly golden browned around the edges. Allow cups to cool in pan for about 5 minutes before removing; this helps them set up so they’re less prone to tearing or breaking. Important tip – When removing cups, even though you can lift them up and out with your fingers, use a spoon to lift them out because it gives support to the base so the bottoms don’t give way and break.
- Garnish each cup with salsa, sour cream, and avocado as desired. Serve immediately. Cups are best fresh but will keep airtight in the fridge for up to 3 days (don’t garnish them if you plan to save as leftovers) and can be lightly reheated in the micro and garnished before serving.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 418Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 20mgSodium: 809mgCarbohydrates: 50gFiber: 11gSugar: 1gProtein: 16g
Healthy Beefy Tacos (vegan) – Just like the real thing but a million times healthier! So good, hearty and taste JUST like the real deal!
Do-It-Yourself Guacamole Bar – Make your own guacamole bar and have fun taste-testing the options! Great party idea that everyone loves!
Cheese, Black Beans, and Corn-Stuffed Sweet Potatoes with Avocado Crema (vegan, GF) – A healthy meal that’s easy, ready in 15 minutes, satisfying & doesn’t taste like health food!
Loaded BBQ Chicken Nugget Nachos (with vegan/GF option) – Chicken nuggets coated in BBQ sauce with loads of cheese! Perfect and easy party food!
Loaded Guacamole Nachos – Fresh, easy homemade guac on top of cheesy chips is totally irresistible!
Easy Restaurant-Style Blender Salsa – Make your own salsa in minutes! Fast, easy, goofproof and tastes 1000x better than anything you’d buy!
SCROLL DOWN for the comment box you’re used to seeing.
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Albertsons. The opinions and text are all mine.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.