Beef Queso Dip — Caramelized onions, ground beef, taco seasoning, and CHEESE in this EASY queso dip everyone loves!! Great for game days, PARTIES, holidays, and events!!
Velveeta Queso Dip with Ground Beef
Just in time for football season and what I like to call the beginning of comfort food eating season, which I loosely define as fall, football season, Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year’s Eve, and holiday parties, this beef queso dip is perfect. It’s a crowd favorite and my family raves about it. Stock up on chips and watch this queso dip disappear at your next party.
I used Velveeta and while I don’t think I’ve had any since my mom used to use it to make grilled cheese sandwiches with when I was a kid, it’s absolutely perfect for the queso. It’s velvety smooth (hence the name), melts beautifully, and stays silky and smooth for a long time and doesn’t harden up like other cheeses do. It has a perfect fondue-like quality.
What’s in Beef Queso Dip?
To make this Velveeta queso dip with ground beef, you’ll need:
- Ground beef
- Yellow onion
- Taco seasoning
- Ro-Tel diced tomatoes and green chiles
- Velveeta Original Cheese Loaf
- Fresh cilantro
- Tortilla chips
How to Make Beef Queso Dip
Brown the ground beef and onion until cooked through, then add the taco seasoning and water. Add the Ro-Tel and Velveeta and stir to combine.
Pop a lid onto the pot to encourage the cheese to melt, then garnish with fresh cilantro just before serving.
Is There a Velveeta Substitute I Can Use?
There are many queso recipes that don’t use Velveeta, but I haven’t tried them and can’t offer any substitutions that will guarantee the perfect meltiness that Velveeta lends. If you want to make a cheese dip without Velveeta, try any of the dozens of cheesy dip recipes here.
Can I Make Queso Dip in a Slow Cooker?
I haven’t tried it, but I think you could successfully make this easy queso dip in a slow cooker by first browning the beef and onions, adding the taco seasoning and water, and then transferring to the slow cooker before adding the remaining ingredients.
It would be a nice way to keep it warm for hours at a party. If you try it this way, let me know.
Tips for Making the Best Queso Dip
The Ro-Tel adds texture and some heat, but you can use the mild version if preferred. But I like the slight kick it adds to the queso dip.
I used regular spiced but reduced-sodium taco seasoning. You can use mild or hot depending on your preference for heat.
You can dip pretty much anything into this Velveeta queso dip with ground beef, but my family loves tortilla chips the best. Other dipping options include: pretzel thins, toasted bread slices, and Fritos.
Pin This Recipe
- 1 pound ground beef (I used 93% lean)
- 1 medium sweet Vidalia or yellow onion, diced small
- one 1.25-ounce packet taco seasoning (I used reduced sodium)
- 1/2 cup water
- two 10-ounce cans Ro-Tel diced tomatoes and green chiles
- 32 ounces Velveeta Original Cheese Loaf, diced into 1-inch cubes
- 3 to 4 tablespoons fresh cilantro leaves, for garnishing
- tortilla chips, for serving
- To a large Dutch oven, add the ground beef, onion, and cook over medium-high heat for about 7 minutes, or until beef is cooked through and onions are lightly caramelized. Break up the ground beef as it cooks and stir the onions frequently. If your beef is fattier than mine or there’s excess oil/water, drain it before proceeding; I didn’t need to.
- Add the taco seasoning, water (note this is less water than the packet calls for), and stir to combine.
- Add the Ro-Tel and stir to combine.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low, add the Velveeta, and cover to encourage cheese to melt. Stir every minute or so until cheese has melted.
- Garnish with cilantro before serving with chips.
- Queso is best warm and fresh but will keep airtight in the fridge for up to 4 days. Reheat gently as necessary.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 369Total Fat: 24gSaturated Fat: 14gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 96mgSodium: 1608mgCarbohydrates: 13gFiber: 2gSugar: 8gProtein: 24g
More Easy Dips:
16 Cheesy Dips To Make Now – Fast, EASY, foolproof, and nothing compares to gooey, heavenly, melted CHEESE!! Perfect for holiday parties, game day parties, or your next cozy night on the couch!!
Creamy Baked Double Cheese and Onion Dip – One of my favorite dips of all time! Stir it together in one bowl in minutes and bake for cheesy, perfect comfort food!
Loaded Baked Tater Tot Dip – Favorite baked potato fixings baked together in an easy dip that everyone loves!
Easy Pizza Dip — Cheese lovers and pizza fans will love this fast and easy dip!! Perfect party food that’s a guaranteed hit!
Baked Triple Cheese and Salsa Tortilla Chip Dip – Loaded with 3 kinds of cheese and baked to browned, bubbly, golden perfection!
Hot Cheesy Corn Dip – Two kinds of cheese, corn and green chiles make for an irresistible dip! Easy comfort food that’ll be devoured!
Baked Spinach, Artichoke, and Mozzarella Dip – The classic dip, topped with cheese!
5-Minute Chili Cheese Dip — EASY, ready in 5 minutes, just 3 main ingredients, and made in the microwave!! The CHEESE is irresistible! The perfect game day or easy party appetizer that everyone LOVES!!