Spicy Chorizo Queso — No processed cheese in this EASY queso dip that’s ready in 20 minutes!! Wonderfully spicy thanks to the chorizo! Great appetizer for holiday entertaining, parties, and game days!!
Easy Homemade Queso Dip
I am a huge cheese fan. I consider it a food group and I can make a meal out of it. I love cheese even more when it’s warm and melted like in this spicy chorizo queso dip. I could eat the whole bowl.
I live in San Diego and being that I am only about 15 miles from the Mexican border, I hop over the border for dinner quite often because I love Mexican food and then I hop on back.
The San Diego food scene is richly influenced by our proximity to the border and that means that there’s no shortage of spicy food here. This spicy chorizo queso is a prime example of that.
Between the fire-roasted chiles, the chorizo, and the (optional) jalapeño garnish, the dip is wonderfully spicy. It has the kind of heat that keeps you going back for more.
I washed down my (many) mouthfuls of spicy queso on salty tortilla chips with Sutter Home White Zinfandel. This medium sweet, chilled wine is a perfect pairing for this easy, spicy, party appetizer that’s ready in 20 minutes. #SweetOnSpice is where it’s at and Sutter Home White Zinfandel is a must have for holiday entertaining.
This refreshing American original wine has a medium sweet flavor profile and delivers delicious notes of strawberry and melon.
You may recall I had another #SweetOnSpice pairing with this Sweet Chili Grilled Chicken.
Not only is this queso dip a great holiday entertaining appetizer, but save the recipe for game days and Super Bowl parties.
What’s in Chorizo Queso Dip?
To make this homemade queso with chorizo, you’ll need:
- Queso quesadilla
- Evaporated milk
- Fire-roasted green chiles
- Sutter Home White Zinfandel, for serving
How to Make Chorizo Queso
For this easy queso dip, you first need to cook the chorizo and garlic in a large skillet. I prefer to let the chorizo get pretty dark so there are some very crispy bits; cook until as done as desired.
Then, add about 6 ounces of evaporated milk and the grated cheese to a high sided pot. Heat until the cheese is melted and the mixture can be stirred.
To the melted cheese, add fire-roasted green chiles and cooked chorizo. I used pork chorizo, but beef is fine. The chorizo turns your milky white cheese into a pale shade of orange since chorizo is quite red.
Pour the spicy queso into a serving bowl and garnish with reserved chorizo, jalapeño rounds, and fresh cilantro.
What’s the Best Cheese for Queso Dip?
There are no highly processed blocks of cheese in this totally from-scratch queso. To achieve a lovely smooth melted cheese texture, I used hand-grated queso quesadilla that I find in my regular grocery store in the cheese section. It should say something like ‘Mexican melting cheese’ on the package.
Other cheeses in that section may include cotija (crumbly) and panela (slicing cheese) and while both are delish, stick with queso quesadilla for this recipe. Grate it by hand so that it melts evenly and smoothly.
If you absolutely can’t find it, Monterey Jack or American white cheese from the deli counter should work.
Tips for Making Queso with Chorizo
For the best queso dip, it’s very important that you grate whatever cheese you’re using by hand or in a food processor. Don’t use bags of pre-shredded cheese because it’s resistant to melting.
Do not drain the can of fire-roasted green chiles. The liquid the chiles are packed in contains so much flavor!
I used pork chorizo, but you may use beef. Just be sure to remove the casings so you can crumble the chorizo in the skillet.
Pin This Recipe
Spicy Chorizo Queso
No processed cheese in this EASY queso dip that's ready in 20 minutes!! Wonderfully spicy thanks to the chorizo! Great appetizer for holiday entertaining, parties, and game days!!
- one 9-ounce package chorizo, casings removed (I used pork; beef may be substituted)
- 3 to 4 cloves garlic, finely minced or pressed
- one 10-ounce package queso quesadilla, grated (Monterey Jack or American white cheese may be substituted)
- one 12-ounce can full-fat evaporated milk (you likely won't use all of it)
- one 4-ounce can fire-roasted green chiles, do not drain
- fresh cilantro, for garnishing
- 1 jalapeño, sliced into thin rounds; optional for garnishing
- tortilla chips, for serving
- Sutter Home White Zinfandel, wine pairing for serving
- To a large skillet, add the chorizo and cook over medium-high heat until cooked through. Crumble as it cooks and stir frequently to ensure even cooking. Note - The chorizo I used had plenty of fat and there was quite a bit of grease splatter; use caution when cooking if yours is similar.
- In the last 1 to 2 minutes of cooking, add the garlic, and stir to combine. I prefer to let the chorizo get pretty dark so there are some very crispy bits; cook until as done as desired. Remove cooked chorizo from the skillet, set on a paper towel on a plate; set aside.
- To a medium high sided pot, add about 6 ounces milk, the grated queso quesadilla, and heat over medium heat until cheese is melted and mixture can be stirred smooth.
- Add the green chiles, about 3/4 of the chorizo (reserve remaining 1/4 for garnishing), and stir to combine. If desired and as necessary, add additional milk to achieve desired consistency, and stir to combine. (I added about 3 ounces used about 9 out of 12 total ounces.)
- Pour queso into serving bowl, top with the reserved chorizo, cilantro, optional jalapeños, and serve immediately. Queso is best warm and fresh.
- Serve with Sutter Home White Zinfandel.
Cheese: It's very important that you grate whatever cheese you're using by hand or in a food processor and don't use bags of pre-shredded cheese because it's resistant to melting.
Serving tip: To keep the queso from setting up as fast, use a serving bowl that's oven-safe that you gently heat in a low oven for about 10 minutes prior to service.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 517Total Fat: 35gSaturated Fat: 17gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 96mgSodium: 1330mgCarbohydrates: 21gFiber: 1gSugar: 10gProtein: 25g
More Cheesy Dip Recipes:
Beef Queso Dip — Caramelized onions, ground beef, taco seasoning, and cheese in this fast and easy dip everyone loves! Great for game days, parties, holidays, and events!
Easy Cheesy Chili Dip – Just a few ingredients and 5 mins is all you need for this super easy dip packed with flavor! And cheese!
Loaded Baked Tater Tot Dip – Favorite baked potato fixings baked together in an easy dip that everyone loves!
Baked Triple Cheese and Salsa Tortilla Chip Dip – Loaded with 3 kinds of cheese and baked to browned, bubbly, golden perfection!
Hot Cheesy Corn Dip – Two kinds of cheese, corn and green chiles make for an irresistible dip! Easy comfort food that’ll be devoured!
Baked Spinach, Artichoke, and Mozzarella Dip – The classic dip, topped with cheese!
Post is brought to you by Sutter Home. The recipe, images, text, and opinions expressed are my own. #SweetonSpice #SutterHome #SutterHomeWine #Wine #Cocktail #WineCocktail #WhiteZinfandel #Moscato
I can almost taste (and smell) this through the screen. I want it!! And that wine is so good.
It was PERFECT with that spicy chorizo and the salty cheese…so good.
This looks absolutely amazing! I actually felt my mouth watering a bit. Lucky to get to go to Mexico on a regular basis, the food is just so delicious.
It IS jus so delicious, you are right!
Who even needs chip with this perfection? I wish I was being dramatic when I say I could eat this with a spoon- MUST try!
I did just eat it with a spoon…it was perfect :)
I love the Sutter Home White Zin and with this dip, OMG. I want to face plant in it!
I love it too! And it was totally perfect with the spicy dip!
Queso from scratch is so easy and so delicious! I am loving this spicy version. My Hubby will go crazy for it!
The spicy factor is great! Loved it!
This would go over well at our next office carry in–everyone I work with loves Mexican! Chorizo is Jon’s favorite sausage and I think we could go to town on some of this as well–it looks delicious!
This is the type of thing that I think would be great at an office party. Who can resist a cheesy dip after all!