Layered Beef Taco Dip — A FAST and EASY layered dip with taco-seasoned cream cheese, sour cream, ground beef, black beans, cheese, tomatoes, and more!! Perfect for your next FIESTA and a guaranteed WINNER with everyone!!
Table of Contents
The BEST Taco Dip with Ground Beef
If you’re in need of an easy Cinco de Mayo party recipe that’s ready in 15 minutes, this layered taco dip with meat has got you covered. I guarantee it will be a hit with your family and friends.
Keep it in your repertoire for all of the summer holidays coming up, including Memorial Day, Fourth of July, and Labor Day. This taco dip has summer picnic, party, and potluck written all over it.
Because of the layers in this ground beef dip, you’re getting the best of all worlds. The cool cream cheese and creamy sour cream spiked with taco seasoning is a perfect contrast to the warm beef and tender black beans.
The bits of onions and green chiles add extra flavor and texture. Even though the chiles are fire-roasted, we didn’t find the dip spicy. Super flavorful indeed but not spicy.
The shredded cheese, juicy tomatoes, and cilantro are welcome bursts of freshness in contrast to the salty tortilla chips. They’re the perfect scoopers to help you savor this satisfying, filling, and comfort food dip.
I can assure you that if I ran into this layered taco dip at a Cinco de Mayo party, I would babysit it all night long and not leave its side.
Ingredients in Layered Taco Dip with Ground Beef
To make this layered taco dip recipe with ground beef, you’ll need:
- Sour cream
- Cream cheese
- Ortega Taco Seasoning Mix
- Lean ground beef
- Vidalia onion
- Olive oil
- Ortega Fire-Roasted Green Chiles
- Ortega Black Beans
- Shredded Mexican cheese
- Roma tomato
- Fresh cilantro
- Medium Taco Sauce
- Tortilla chips
The Ortega products help make my favorite Mexican recipes extra delicious. Ortega’s complete range of innovative shells, premier taco sauces, seasonings, peppers, and skillet sauces enhance any Mexican meal occasion.
Ortega Mexican Seasonings are made with the highest quality ingredients. Each seasoning uses a unique blend of spices to provide an authentic Mexican eating experience. With a wide variety of flavors, Ortega Seasonings are sure to please your family and friends.
For more than 100 years, Ortega has been committed to family mealtime by providing a wide range of authentic, high-quality products to make Mexican meals at home. Everything from Taco Shells and Kits, to Salsas, Dips and Refried Beans.
Not to mention America’s #1 Taco Sauce and Diced Green Chiles. You can buy Ortega products at Walmart and at other retailers nationwide.
How to Make Ground Beef Taco Dip
It doesn’t get easier than this ground beef taco dip! Here’s an overview of the recipe:
- First, combine cream cheese with sour cream and stir in a packet of Ortega Taco Seasoning Mix before adding it to a casserole dish for your first layer of the dip.
- Next, brown ground beef with an onion before adding Ortega® Fire-Roasted Green Chiles, Ortega® Taco Seasoning Mix, and Ortega® Black Beans. Add this juicy beef and bean mixture over the cream cheese and sour cream.
- Top with shredded cheese, tomatoes, cilantro, and Ortega® Medium Taco Sauce to really bring out the Mexican-inspired flavors in this easy layered dip.
Want it Spicier?
For a spicier dip, use a spicy taco seasoning or add a pinch of cayenne to the ground beef as it’s browning.
I garnished this layered taco dip with tomatoes, cilantro, and taco sauce, but you can get super creative here. Try:
- Green onions
- Bell peppers
- Chiles of any kind
- Shredded lettuce
- Black olives
- Red onions
If you’re vegetarian, I bet you could sub an extra can of beans for the ground beef. Be sure to season the beans with the taco seasoning so you still pack in all that delicious taco flavor.
If you don’t mind making the taco dip with meat, you could also sub ground chicken or turkey. Note that both are far leaner than ground beef, so you’ll need to add more oil to the pan to prevent the meat from drying out.
I recommend eating this taco dip with beef the day it’s made. Leftovers will keep up to 3 days in the fridge, but the veggies will become soggy over time.
Yes, but make sure to use brick-style cream cheese and not the whipped kind that comes in a tub.
What to Serve with Ground Beef Taco Dip
Pair the layered ground beef dip with one or more of the following:
- Baked tortilla chips
- Pretzels or pretzel thins
- Ritz crackers
- Celery sticks
- Potato chips
Pin This Recipe
Layered Taco Dip with Ground Beef
- 16 ounces sour cream
- 8 ounces brick-style cream cheese, softened
- two 1.25-ounce packets Ortega Taco Seasoning Mix
- 1 pound lean ground beef, I used 85% lean
- 1 small/medium sweet Vidalia onion, diced small
- 1 to 2 tablespoons olive oil, if necessary
- one 4-ounce can Ortega Fire-Roasted Green Chiles
- one 15-ounce can Ortega Black Beans
- 1 cup shredded Mexican cheese blend
- 1 Roma tomato, diced small
- fresh cilantro, for garnishing
- Ortega Medium Taco Sauce, as desired for serving
- corn tortilla chips, for serving
- Spray a 3-quart baking dish (or high-sided 9×9-inch pan) with cooking spray; set aside.
- To a medium mixing bowl, add the sour cream, cream cheese, and beat on high-speed with a handheld electric mixer.
- Add 1 packet taco seasoning and beat to incorporate.
- Turn mixture out into prepared pan; place pan in the fridge.
- To a large skillet, add the beef, onion, oil if necessary, and cook for about 5 minutes over medium-high heat, or until beef is cooked through and onion is soft and translucent. Crumble beef while it cooks to ensure even cooking.
- Add the green chiles, remaining 1 packet taco seasoning, and stir to combine.
- Add the black beans and stir to combine.
- Turn mixture out over sour cream-cream cheese layer.
- Evenly top with the cheese, tomato, cilantro, taco sauce, and serve immediately with tortilla chips.
- Dip will keep airtight in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.
©averiecooks.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
More Mexican Appetizers:
Baked Cheese and Beef Taquitos — Craving Mexican food? Make these EASY taquitos made with seasoned ground beef, melted cheese, cream cheese, sour cream, salsa, and baked to crispy perfection!
Cheesy Beef Taco Dip – EASY, ready in 15 minutes, and tastes like an awesome beef taco that’s extra CHEESY in dip form and so good!! The Bakeable Tortilla Bowls are so fun! PERFECT for game day parties and get-togethers!!
Beef Tater Tot-Chos – Crispy tater tots topped with taco-seasoned ground beef and melted cheese is a DELICIOUS and fun twist on nachos!! EASY, ready in no time, and perfect for PARTIES!!
Spicy Chorizo Queso – No processed cheese in this EASY cheese dip that’s ready in 20 minutes!! Wonderfully spicy thanks to the chorizo! Great appetizer for holiday entertaining, parties, and game days!!
Loaded Beef Skillet Nachos – EASY, ready in 15 minutes, and LOADED with taco-seasoned ground beef, black beans, corn, cilantro, and lots of CHEESE!! Great for parties, game days, after school snacks, or a cheat night dinner!!
Beef Queso Dip – Caramelized onions, ground beef, taco seasoning, and CHEESE in this FAST and EASY dip everyone loves!! Great for game days, PARTIES, holidays, and events!!
Bacon Jalapeño Popper Dip – Same great flavor as bacon-wrapped jalapeño poppers, minus the work!! Creamy, CHEESY, loaded with bacon, and topped with CRISPY jalapeños! Fast, EASY, perfect for parties!!
Restaurant-Style Salsa — This easy salsa recipe is a blessing and a curse. Because chips and salsa. The more you have, the more you want!
Cheesy Baked Mexican Corn Dip — A hot corn dip reminiscent of Mexican street corn!! Creamy, cheesy, spiked with lime juice, chili powder, and a serrano chile or jalapeno for a touch of heat!
Post is brought to you by Ortega. The recipe, images, text, and opinions expressed are my own.