Corn Avocado Black Bean Salad — A FRESH, easy, and HEARTY mixture of corn, black beans, and avocado is tossed with a tangy cumin lime vinaigrette. It’s incredibly filling thanks to the beans and avocado, and can easily be meal prepped!
Table of Contents
- Hearty Salad with Black Beans, Corn & Avocado
- Black Bean Corn Avocado Salad Ingredients
- How to Make Corn Avocado Black Bean Salad
- Tips for the Best Black Bean and Corn Salad
- Frequently Asked Questions
- What to Serve with Corn Avocado Black Bean Salad
- More Black Bean Salad Recipes:
- Black Bean Corn Avocado Salad with Cumin Lime Vinaigrette Recipe
Hearty Salad with Black Beans, Corn & Avocado
This black bean avocado corn salad has similar flavors to my Six-Layer Baked Taco Cups, but it’s even healthier. Plus, it’s naturally vegan and gluten-free!
This salad features hearty beans, juicy corn and tomatoes, and creamy avocado. There has to be some fat in a salad for me to feel full, and the avocado does the trick.
The cumin lime vinaigrette is zippy, tangy-yet-sweet, and like all homemade dressings, you’ll need to experiment and tweak it based on your palate and preferences.
It’s the perfect meal prep lunch or side salad to any Mexican-inspired feast!
Black Bean Corn Avocado Salad Ingredients
This is a super simple salad that really packs in Mexican-inspired flavors with minimal ingredients. Gather the following items:
- Canned black beans
- Frozen corn
Cumin lime vinaigrette
- Lime juice
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
Want to Make This Vegan?
To make this salad vegan, use agave or a little maple syrup in place of the honey. Start with two tablespoons of sweetener in the dressing and add more as desired after tasting the cumin lime dressing.
How to Make Corn Avocado Black Bean Salad
This black bean avocado corn salad couldn’t be simpler to prepare! Here are the basic recipe steps:
- Prep all the salad ingredients and add to a large bowl.
- In a liquid measuring cup, combine the lime vinaigrette ingredients and stir to combine. Taste the dressing and add more salt and pepper as desired.
- Slowly drizzle about half of the vinaigrette over salad and toss gently to combine.
Want to Add Protein?
If you want a heartier salad, you can add grilled chicken to this black bean corn avocado salad. Shrimp would also taste delicious here!
Tips for the Best Black Bean and Corn Salad
Avocado: Make sure you’re using a ripe avocado in this salad. The avocado is the star of this salad, but you won’t want to eat it if it’s still hard!
Corn: I used frozen corn for this black bean avocado salad and added it straight to the salad. I didn’t cook it first or anything since I knew the salad would be sitting in the fridge for a few hours before I ate it.
Spice it up! If you like a little heat in your black bean salad, add some finely diced jalapeño to this recipe. Keep the seeds out if you don’t want too much heat, though!
Leftover dressing? You may not use all the vinaigrette, it just depends on your personal preference. If you have leftover dressing, store it in the fridge and use on other salads throughout the week.
Frequently Asked Questions
Making this corn avocado black bean salad 4 to 8 hours in advance and allowing it to remain covered in the fridge really helps the flavors marry beautifully. The avocado may oxidize slightly — although the lime in the vinaigrette helps prevent it — but I’m willing to sacrifice a slight color change for enhanced flavor.
Sure, use up whatever you have on hand!
Of course! You can toss whatever extra veggies you want into the salad. The cumin lime vinaigrette pairs well with just about anything.
Be my guest! Meal prepped or leftover chicken can be thrown in, as can grilled or sautéed shrimp.
What to Serve with Corn Avocado Black Bean Salad
This chunky salad is just begging to be scooped up with homemade tortilla chips! Or, pair the salad with one or more of the following:
- Salsa Verde Pepper Jack Chicken
- Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas
- Pulled Pork Tacos
- Grilled Lime Cilantro Chicken
- Cheesy Beef Taquitos
- Loaded Vegetarian Burritos
- Ground Beef Taco Salad Bowls
Pin This Recipe
- one 15-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 medium ripe tomato, diced (Roma or vine-ripened)
- 1 medium ripe avocado, peeled and diced for garnishing
- 3/4 cup frozen corn (I rinse it straight from the freezer and add it; I don’t cook it)
Cumin Lime Vinaigrette
- 3 to 4 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 to 3 tablespoons honey (agave or maple syrup may be substituted and should to keep salad vegan)
- 2 to 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, or to taste
Make the salad
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl; set aside while you make the vinaigrette
Make the Vinaigrette
- Combine all ingredients in a small jar with a lid and shake vigorously (or in a small bowl and whisk together). Taste dressing and make tweaks as necessary according to taste preferences.
Assemble the Salad
- Slowly drizzle about half of the vinaigrette over salad and toss gently to combine. You may not use all the vinaigrette depending on preference; extra vinaigrette will keep airtight for many days in the fridge.
Salad may be served immediately or up to 1 to 2 days later, noting that avocado will likely oxidize as time passes, even if salad is kept covered and airtight in the fridge so it may not be as visually appealing. However, I find the flavors marry beautifully after about 4 to 8 hours covered in the fridge, and am willing to compromise the slight color change of the avocado for the enhanced flavor
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 394Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 638mgCarbohydrates: 56gFiber: 13gSugar: 19gProtein: 12g
More Black Bean Salad Recipes:
Skinny Mexican Bean and Corn Salad — Two kinds of beans, juicy corn and tomatoes, crisp peppers, and green onions are tossed in a lime-chili-cumin vinaigrette that’s perfectly light.
Chicken Avocado Black Bean Salad — A Mexican-inspired salad with tender chicken, black beans, creamy avocado, juicy tomatoes, cilantro, lime juice and more! EASY, ready in 20 minutes, HEALTHY, and packed with fiesta FLAVORS galore!
Avocado Black Bean Mexican Salad — EASY, ready in 10 minutes, and there’s so much FLAVOR from the lime-cumin-chili vinaigrette!
Mexican Corn and Black Bean Salad — An EASY corn salad with black beans, zucchini, red onions, cilantro, lime juice, and more!! So much Mexican-inspired FLAVOR in every bite of this family favorite recipe that’s sure to be a hit!!
Vegetarian Burrito Bowl Salad — Your favorite burrito ingredients minus the meat and extra carbs to keep things HEALTHIER!! Ready in 10 minutes and keeps you satisfied but not stuffed! Great EASY lunch, dinner, or meal prep recipe!!
Originally published January 12, 2015 and republished June 4, 2021 with updated text.