Chicken Enchilada Sliders — Juicy shredded chicken is tossed in spicy enchilada sauce and is layered in soft Hawaiian rolls along with plenty of melted cheese! Brush them with a melted garlic butter and oregano mixture and garnish with cilantro and avocado! PERFECT for entertaining, game days, Superbowl, or a FAST and EASY weeknight dinner that’s ready in 30 minutes!
Chicken Enchilada Sliders Recipe
Everyone loves sliders! But these Mexican-inspired pulled chicken sliders are extra fabulous!
There’s juicy shredded chicken that’s tossed with spicy enchilada sauce, gooey melted cheese, and it’s sandwiched in between soft Hawaiian rolls.
Before baking, I brush the Hawaiian bread with a melted garlic butter and Mexican oregano mixture.
Whether you want to serve these as a New Year’s Eve party snack, a game day or Superbowl party, or as a quick and easy weeknight dinner, you’ll be ready to dive into these little sandwiches in no time.
I like to use rotisserie chicken to save time and energy which helps to make sure the sliders are ready from start to finish in just 30 minutes.
Ingredients in Chicken Enchilada Sliders
For these Mexican shredded chicken sliders on Hawaiian rolls, you’ll need the following common and easy to find fridge and pantry ingredients including the following:
- Hawaiian sweet rolls
- Olive oil
- White or yellow onion
- Enchilada sauce – store bought or homemade
- Shredded Mexican cheese blend
- Unsalted butter
- Mexican oregano (or regular oregano)
- Cilantro, optional
- Avocado, optional
Note: Scroll down to the recipe card section of the post for the ingredients with amounts included and for more complete directions.
How to Make Chicken Enchilada Slider Sandwiches
To make chicken enchilada sliders on Hawaiian rolls, follow these very easy and straightforward steps and you’ll be digging in within 30 minutes!
Step 1: Preheat the oven and spray a 9 x 13-inch pan or casserole dish with cooking spray. If you’re using a metal pan, I always line my pan with nonstick foil for easier cleanup but it’s optional.
Step 2: Using a large serrated knife, slice the rolls, place the bottom half or “slab” of rolls into the baking pan, and set aside.
Step 3: To a large skillet, add the olive oil, onions, and saute momentarily before adding some of the garlic and sautéing another minute.
Step 4: Add the previously cooked and shredded chicken, enchilada sauce, and cook for 2 minutes.
Step 5: Evenly spread the chicken and onion mixture over the bottom half of the rolls in the pan.
Step 6: Sprinkle with shredded cheese.
Step 7: Top with the top “slab”of the rolls and set aside.
Step 8: Melt the butter, remaining garlic, Mexican oregano, and then brush this buttery mixture over the tops of the rolls.
Step 9: Cover with foil, and bake covered for about 13 to 15 minutes.
Step 10: Remove the pan from the oven, remove the foil, and bake again for 3 to 5 minutes or until lightly golden browned.
Step 11: Optionally garnish with cilantro, avocado, and serve immediately.
What Kind of Chicken is Best for Chicken Sliders?
I use rotisserie chicken that I shred and simmer with onions and enchilada sauce.
Another good option is my homemade Poached Chicken recipe. Make as directed, shred it, and incorporate it into the sliders recipe.
Hawaiian Rolls Are the Best Choice for Sliders
Perhaps you could use small slider rolls or other small hamburger buns to make this easy chicken enchilada sliders recipe, I highly recommend using sweet Hawaiian rolls.
Specially, I only buy the King’s Hawaiian Original Hawaiian Sweet Rolls.
Hawaiian rolls are soft, buttery, and slightly sweet.
They pair perfectly with the shredded chicken coated with enchilada sauce and the savory melted cheese.
Slicing Options for the Hawaiian Rolls
You have two ways to go when slicing the Hawaiian rolls for your easy chicken enchilada sliders:
- Slice the rolls in half horizontally so you have a ‘slab’ of tops and a ‘slab’ of bottoms. This is the way that I usually make them because I think it’s easier and what I recommend for this recipe. This is what is shown in the photos.
- However, you can also slice each roll in half individually and place the 12 halved and separated Hawaiian rolls into your baking dish. When you do add the chicken and cheese, you need to be more precise about placing it on each individual sandwich. The benefit is that the baked sliders are easier to grab without much slicing or cutting after you bake them. I used this technique with my Hawaiian Roll Turkey and Cheese Sliders because they were extra cheesy and this made serving them a bit easier.
Can This Sliders Recipe Be Prepared in Advance?
Yes, up to a point. You can cut the rolls into “slabs,” then add the chicken enchilada filling.
Cover the pan tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate until you’re ready to add the butter mixture and bake.
Can Chicken Enchilada Sliders Be Frozen?
Technically yes, but with sliders recipes like this Mexican-inspired version, I recommend enjoying them fresh and hot from the oven.
However, if your options are to throw away leftover sliders or try freezing them, I say freeze them. Thaw them and reheat them in your microwave or an oven, as you wish.
You may wish to brush a little more of the butter mixture on top if they start to look at all dry.
What to Serve with Chicken Enchilada Sliders
Hawaiian roll enchilada sliders are so versatile! You can make them not only for game days and parties, but also for a quick and easy lunch or dinner.
If you’re serving the sliders with other appetizers and snack recipes here are some of my favorites that will pair great:
- Baked Cheesy Beef Taquitos
- Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken Meatballs
- Air Fryer Chicken Taquitos
- Mexican Shrimp Cocktail
- Mexican Baked Cheesy Street Corn Dip
If the enchilada chicken Hawaiian roll sliders are going to be the main dish, then I recommend sides and salads such as:
- Instant Pot Black Beans
- Instant Pot Refried Beans
- Black Bean Corn Avocado Salad
- Mexican Rice, Beans, Quinoa Medley
- Skillet Zucchini, Corn, Peppers
Need More Enchilada Recipe Inspiration?
- Chicken Mole Enchiladas
- Salsa Verde Chicken Enchiladas
- Sweet Potato Black Bean Enchiladas
- 30-Minute Chicken Enchilada Soup
- Chicken Enchilada Stuffed Zucchini Boats
- Cheesy Chicken Enchilada Quinoa
- Loaded Chicken Enchilada Nachos
Tips For The Best Chicken Enchilada Sliders
These sliders are simple, quick, easy recipe, but here are some of my tips and tricks so that you have the best chicken enchilada sliders!
Hawaiian Rolls – When making baked chicken enchilada sliders, you need to use Hawaiian rolls. They’re slightly sweet, which pairs perfectly with the savory turkey and cheese.
I am a big fan of King’s Hawaiian Original Sweet Rolls. In my opinion, there’s really no substitutions for that brand. I’ve never tried a generic or store brand.
Keep Them Covered – You’ll bake the sliders for about 20 minutes total. However, the first 15 minutes or so, the baking pan needs to be covered with foil.
The primary reason is to protect the tops of the Hawaiian rolls because they’re prone to burning. Secondarily, keeping them covered, helps the cheese melt easier.
Don’t Overbake – As I’ve mentioned, Hawaiian bread is a tender delicate bread, and it is prone to burning, so keep an eye on your sliders, and make sure not to over bake nor burn them!
Extra Cheesy – I adore cheese and tend to use more than indicated in most recipes. If you’re a cheese fanatic, you can add an extra handful without thinking twice.
Extra Buttery – If you’re a person that likes super buttery and juicy sliders you can increase double or triple the butter.
Mexican Oregano – Being that these are Mexican-inspired chicken enchilada sliders, I think that Mexican oregano is only fitting. It has lemon and citrus notes which are great for these sliders. However, if all you have is regular dried oregano on hand, it’ll be fine.
Garnishes – There’s nothing like fresh cilantro for both a pop of color and fresh flavor so I always sprinkle some on, but it’s optional as are all the garnishes.
I also add a nice chunk or slice of avocado. Or you can dollop on some guacamole.
Other ideas include sliced jalapenos (fresh, canned, pickled), pico de gallo, tomatoes, tomatillo avocado salsa, or pineapple chipotle salsa.
Pin This Recipe
Chicken Enchilada Sliders
Chicken Enchilada Sliders - Juicy shredded chicken is tossed in spicy enchilada sauce and is layered in soft Hawaiian rolls along with plenty of melted cheese! Brush them with a melted garlic butter and oregano mixture and garnish with cilantro and avocado! PERFECT for entertaining, game days, Superbowl, or a FAST and EASY weeknight dinner that's ready in 30 minutes!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup white or yellow onion, diced small
- 3 teaspoons minced garlic, divided
- 4 cups cooked and shredded chicken (rotisserie or homemade such as poached)
- 2 cups enchilada sauce (store bought or homemade)
- 12 count package King's Hawaiian Original Sweet Rolls
- 2 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend, or your favorite shredded cheese
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, or more if desired
- 1 teaspoon dried Mexican oregano (regular oregano may be substituted)
- Finely chopped cilantro, optional for garnishing to taste
- Avocado slices, optional for garnishing to taste
- Preheat oven to 350F and spray a 9 x 13" baking dish or metal baking pan with cooking spray. Tip - If you're using a metal baking pan, I like to line my pan with nonstick foil for easier cleanup; set aside.
- Either slice the Hawaiian rolls in half horizontally so you will have a bottom "slab" and then a top "slab" OR separate the rolls and slice each one and a half horizontally. Note - I find the first "slab" method easier because you don't have to be as precise about the placement of the remaining ingredients. However, slicing the final baked sliders is a bit easier with the second method.
- Place the bottom half of all the rolls in your baking pan; set aside.
- To a large skillet, add the olive oil, onions, and saute over medium-high heat for about 3 to 4 minutes, stirring nearly constantly.
- Add 2 teaspoons garlic and cook for 1 minute, or until fragrant, stirring constantly.
- Add the chicken, enchilada sauce, stir to combine, and cook for 2 minutes.
- Evenly spread the chicken and onion mixture over the bottom slab of rolls in the pan.
- Evenly sprinkle the cheese over the top.
- Place the top slab of the rolls over; set aside.
- To a small skillet, add the butter, garlic, Mexican oregano, and heat over low to just melt the butter; stir nearly constantly. Tip - If you want your sliders more buttery, feel free to double the amount of butter (use 4 tablespoons rather than 2 tablespoons).
- Evenly brush this mixture over the top of the rolls.
- Tent (loosely cover or drape) a sheet of foil over the top of the baking pan, and bake for about 13 to 15 minutes.
- Remove pan from the oven, remove the foil, and bake for an additional 3 to 5 minutes, or until the tops of the rolls are as lightly golden browned and toasted as desired.
- Before serving, optionally garnish with fresh cilantro as desired, and/or avocado slices or chunks. Sliders are best warm and fresh. Extra sliders will keep airtight in the fridge for up to 3 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months, noting the texture of the bread will change dramatically. Reheat gently as desired in the microwave or low oven.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 233Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 59mgSodium: 473mgCarbohydrates: 8gFiber: 2gSugar: 4gProtein: 18g
More Easy Party Sliders Recipes:
Ham and Cheese Sliders — Baked juicy ham and Swiss nestled in soft Hawaiian rolls and brushed with a buttery Dijon, onion, and poppy seed topping!! Fast, EASY, and a party FAVORITE!!
Hawaiian Ham and Cheese Sliders – Grilled pineapple slices brushed with a soy and ginger marinade add a Hawaiian-inspired twist to these irresistible sandwiches!
Big Mac Sliders — For anyone who likes the restaurant version, you’re going to LOVE this copycat Big Mac recipe in handheld slider form! Complete with a COPYCAT Big Mac special sauce, melted cheese, pickles, and tender beef all nestled between soft buttery buns. These EASY sandwiches are a family favorite FAST dinner recipe or make them for events, holidays, or game day parties!
Pepperoni Pizza Sliders — Pizza by way of supremely cheesy sliders!! EASY, ready in 15 minutes, and perfect for parties because everyone LOVES them! Totally IRRESISTIBLE!!
Hawaiian Roll Turkey and Cheese Sliders — Juicy turkey, Swiss cheese, and cranberry sauce all nestled in soft Hawaiian rolls that are brushed with butter and topped with poppy seeds for the BEST turkey sliders! FAST, EASY, and takes advantage of leftover turkey! Deli turkey also works.
Beer and Bourbon BBQ Chicken Sliders — Chicken is cooked with beer and bourbon before being soaked in bbq sauce! So juicy, flavorful, easy, and ready in 25 minutes!
Caramelized Onion and Portobello Mushroom Sliders with Fry Sauce – Meatless comfort food at its finest! Hearty, satisfying and so good!
Ranch Chicken and Swiss Sliders — Tender chicken is coasted in tangy ranch dressing and topped with Swiss cheese. It’s all nestled in soft, sweet Hawaiian rolls with a buttery Dijon, onion, and poppy seed topping.
Slow Cooker Hawaiian Pulled Pork — Pork is slow cooked to perfection and has Hawaiian-inspired flavors from pineapple and teriyaki sauce! Sweet, tangy, tender, and juicy! It makes the best pulled pork sandwiches that everyone loves!