Cheesy Chicken Enchilada Quinoa
This post may contain affiliate links.
I love Mexican food and could eat it every day.
I also have a passion for cheese.
This easy, one-skillet recipe is ready in 30 minutes and has the flavor of chicken enchiladas complete with juicy shredded chicken, onions, red peppers, corn, black beans, and plenty of melted cheese.
Rather than spending time rolling up enchiladas, quinoa is used and it’s the perfect vehicle to marry all the flavors.
It’s such a timesaver not to have to roll enchiladas and quinoa is healthier than carb-heavy flour tortillas. A win-win.
Since the recipe makes a fair amount, lunch the next few days just became that much easier and more convenient with Reynolds™ Heat & Eat Containers. The disposable containers can easily go from freezer to fridge to microwave. Make sure to remove the lid before microwaving.
The dish is satisfying and packed with so much flavor. You won’t miss traditional enchiladas. We couldn’t get enough of it.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups sweet Vidalia or yellow onion, peeled and diced small (about 1 large onion)
- 1 red bell pepper, trimmed, seeded, and diced small; reserve a few pieces for garnishing
- 1 cup quinoa (I used white)
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 3 cups shredded chicken (use about half of one storebought rotisserie chicken to save time; or roast or cook your own chicken in a skillet)
- 1 cup red enchilada sauce
- 1 cup corn (fresh or frozen)
- 1 cup cooked black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika (regular paprika may be substituted)
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste (will vary based on how salty the brand of enchilada sauce used is, how salty the rotisserie chicken and cheese are, and personal preference)
- pinch cayenne pepper, optional and to taste
- 2 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend
- 1 ripe Hass avocado, peeled, seeded, and diced small, optional for garnishing
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves, finely minced, optional for garnishing
- To a large skillet or saucepan, add the olive oil, onions, and sauté over medium-high heat for about 7 minutes, or until onions begin to soften. Stir intermittently.
- Add the red pepper and sauté over medium-high heat for about 3 to 5 minutes, or until peppers begin to soften. Stir intermittently.
- Add the quinoa, stir it into the vegetables, and let it toast for about 30 seconds.
- Add the water, reduce the heat to low, cover pan, and cook for about 10 to 15 minutes, or until all liquid has been absorbed.
- Add the chicken, enchilada sauce, corn, black beans, cumin, smoked paprika, pepper, salt, optional cayenne, and stir to combine. Cook uncovered over medium heat until all ingredients are warmed through, about 3 to 5 minutes. Stir intermittently. Taste and check for seasoning balance. Add more salt, pepper, or spices if desired.
- Reduce heat to low, evenly sprinkle the cheese, cover pan, and cook until cheese has melted, about 2 to 4 minutes.
- Optionally, evenly sprinkle with avocado, cilantro, reserved red pepper for garnishing, and serve immediately. Recipe is best fresh but will keep airtight in the fridge in Reynolds™ Heat & Eat Containers for up to 5 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months. Reheat gently as desired.
Check out all my Quinoa Recipes Here
Easy Chicken Enchilada Bake – All the flavors of your favorite enchiladas, minus the work! Easy, ready in 30 minutes, and you can prep it in advance to save time on busy weeknights or before a big event!
Sweet Potato, Corn, and Black Bean Enchiladas (vegetarian) – Healthier comfort food that everyone will love! Fast, easy, and tastes amazing!
Lime Cilantro Chicken with Mixed Rice and Black Beans – Easy, one skillet, 15-minute meal! Tons of textures and bold flavors in every bite! The lime makes this dish just pop!
Easy 30-Minute Chicken Fajitas – Make restaurant-style fajitas at home in just 30 minutes! Juicy chicken, caramelized onions, and bell peppers pack so much flavor! This easy recipe will go into your regular rotation!
Avocado, Black Bean and Corn Salad with Lime-Cumin Vinaigrette – Everything tastes better with avocado! Easy, healthy and tons of flavor!
Chicken Tortilla Lettuce Wraps – Filled with Mexican flavors, there’s taco-seasoned chicken, tomatoes, corn, peppers, cilantro, and cheese! Easy, healthy, ready in 10 minutes, and a family favorite!
Cheese, Black Beans, and Corn-Stuffed Sweet Potatoes with Avocado Crema (vegan, GF) – A healthy meal or hearty side that’s easy, ready in 15 minutes, satisfying, and doesn’t taste like health food!
Lightened Up Corn and Bean Quesadillas with Avocado-Mango-Chipotle Salsa (vegetarian/vegan option) – You don’t have to derail your diet to enjoy hearty and satisfying comfort food! This version is only about 300 calories and ready in 15 minutes!
Easy 30-Minute Homemade Chicken Tortilla Soup – Chicken, tomatoes, corn, black beans, avocado, cheese, and addictively crunchy tortilla strips! Fast, easy weeknight meal, and better than from a restaurant!
Easy Six-Layer Baked Taco Cups – Fast, easy, and accidentally healthy! Your favorite taco fixings in individually-portioned cups!
Loaded Chicken Taco Salad with Creamy Lime-Cilantro Dressing – Fast, easy, fresh and healthy! All your favorite taco flavors in one big kickin’ salad that everyone will love!!
Do-It-Yourself Guacamole Bar – Make your own guacamole bar and have fun taste-testing the options! Great party idea that everyone loves!
Easy Restaurant-Style Blender Salsa – Make your own salsa in minutes! Fast, easy, goofproof and tastes 1000x better than anything you’d buy!
Post is brought to you by Reynolds™ and I received Reynolds™ Heat & Eat Containers. The recipe, images, text, and opinions expressed are my own.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.