15-Minute Salsa Verde Chicken with Avocado
This post may contain affiliate links.
15-Minute Salsa Verde Chicken with Avocado – Fast, EASY, one skillet recipe!! Juicy chicken with salsa verde, lime juice, cilantro, and creamy avocado has so much Mexican-inspired FLAVOR the whole family will LOVE!! Perfect for busy weeknights and meal prepping!!
Salsa Verde Chicken With Avocado In A Skillet
There’s nothing better than an authentic-tasting Mexican meal made in one skillet that’s ready in 15 minutes. Hello busy weeknights, here’s looking at you. It’s also a fairly healthy recipe you can feel good about enjoying and serving.
The salsa verde is so fresh tasting along with fresh lime juice and cilantro to really give this recipe the finishing pop of bold flavor that will keep you going back for more.
The creaminess of the avocado just melts in your mouth and was the ultimate finishing touch.
We were literally dunking tortilla chips into the skillet, scooping up all the flavors in every bite onto the chips – salsa verde, chicken, cilantro, and avocado. Delish.
If this recipe sounds good to you, be sure to check out this recipe for 15-Minute Salsa Verde Chicken, Rice, and Beans. Lots of similarities, plus rice and beans mixed in.
Ingredients in the 15-Minute Salsa Verde Chicken Skillet
For this fast and easy recipe with just a handful of ingredients, all you need is:
- Olive oil
- Boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Salt and pepper
- Salsa verde
- Lime Juice
- Crushed red pepper flakes, optional
Time Saving Salsa Verde Shortcut
If you want to make your own salsa verde, I would use the blender portion of my Vegan Pozole Verde. It includes tomatillos, poblanos, jalapenos, and white onion. Add a splash of vegetable or chicken stock to thin it out to salsa consistency.
In this recipe we’re using jarred salsa verde thanks to Trader Joe’s, or Herdez is also a winner, in order to save lots of time. No shame is saving time, especially when you just want to get dinner on the table.
How To Make The Salsa Verde Chicken
Simply sauté chicken in olive oil and when it’s done, add salsa verde. I used a generous cup of Trader Joe’s salsa verde but you can use your favorite.
I don’t find the Trader Joe’s salsa verde I used to be spicy so the dish doesn’t read spicy at all, but it’s packed with flavor galore.
Garnish with cilantro, chunks of buttery avocado, and a spritz of lime juice.
If you want more heat and a spicier dish, add jalapeno – keep the seeds if you want even more heat – or go nuts with the crushed red pepper flakes that I also tossed on for both flavor and a pop of red color.
What Else Can I Add To The Salsa Verde Chicken?
This is a very flexible recipe and in keeping with the Mexican-themed flavor profile, I suggest using:
- Boneless skinless chicken thighs instead of breasts
- Adding green onions into the skillet or garnishing with them
- Sautéing a white onion or green bell peppers with the chicken
- To sneak in extra veggies add jicama or zucchini
- If they’re available in your area sauteed chayote (squash) or nopales (cactus leaves) add wonderful texture and crunch
This is a great recipe for meal prepping because it makes six hearty portions that keep well in the fridge or freezer. Dinner or lunch is as easy as reheating in the microwave.
It’s always nice to have a stockpile of containers in my fridge and freezer for those days when cooking something for my ‘starving’ teenager at the drop of a hat isn’t always possible.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast, diced into bite-sized pieces
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
- 1 cup salsa verde*, or as desired
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup fresh cilantro finely minced, or to taste
- 1 to 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice, or to taste
- 1 medium ripe Hass avocado, diced in chunks or sliced as desired
- crushed red pepper flakes, optional and to taste
- To a large skillet, add the olive oil, chicken, evenly season with salt and pepper, and sauté over medium high heat for 7 to 8 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through; stir and flip frequently to ensure even cooking
- Add the salsa verde, stir to combine, and cook for about 1 minute, or until warmed through.
- Evenly garnish with the cilantro, lime juice, avocado, and optional red pepper flakes if you want to add some heat.
- Serve immediately. Recipe will keep airtight in the fridge for up to 5 days or in the freezer for up to 4 months.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 365Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 129mgSodium: 707mgCarbohydrates: 5gFiber: 2gSugar: 2gProtein: 48g
Check out my favorite Mexican Recipes Here
Related Salsa Verde Recipes:
15-Minute Salsa Verde Chicken, Rice, and Beans – Fast, EASY, one skillet recipe!! Between the salsa verde, lime juice, and cilantro mixed with juicy chicken, rice, and beans, you’ll be hooked! Perfect for busy weeknights and meal prepping!!
Salsa Verde Chicken Enchiladas – EASY juicy enchiladas with so much flavor from the salsa verde and TONS of melted CHEESE!! Ready in 30 minutes, are made with just a handful of ingredients, and will be an instant family favorite!!
Grilled Salsa Verde Pepper Jack Chicken – The EASIEST salsa verde marinade keeps this chicken so juicy and tender!! Melted pepper Jack cheese on top takes an already awesome piece of chicken and makes it that much BETTER!!
Salsa Verde Chicken Chilaquiles – An EASY comfort food recipe with just FOUR main ingredients and ready in 30 minutes!! Layers of corn tostadas and juicy chicken smothered in salsa verde and melted pepper Jack cheese! Great for breakfast, dinner, snacks, a party appetizer or anything in between!!
20-Minute Baked Lime Cilantro Chicken Breasts – Super juicy, EASY, tender chicken that’s ready in 20 minutes and made on ONE sheet pan!! Bursting with robust Mexican-inspired lime cilantro flavors that will make this an automatic family FAVORITE!!
20-Minute Easy Vegan Pozole Verde – Think pozole needs meat? Think again! You’ll never miss the meat in this EASY, hearty, and satisfying pozole that’s full of authentic Mexican flavors!! PERFECT for busy weeknights and chilly weather!!
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.