Chicken Peanut Stew – EASY, one pot, ready in about 30 minutes, and hearty comfort food at its finest!! So many layers of DELISH flavors and textures! Just the thing to warm you up!!
This stew is hearty comfort food at its finest. Perfect to warm you up when it’s chilly outside.
It’s easy, made in one pot, ready in about 30 minutes, and loaded with layers of flavors and textures.
Start by sweating down sweet Vidalia onions and red peppers before adding chicken, garlic, ginger, coriander, chicken broth, tomatoes, sweet potatoes, and for the finishing touches – cilantro, peanut butter, and peanuts.
If you like peanut sauce, you’re going to love this stew because the broth is almost like drinking peanut sauce which I adored since peanut sauce and I are BFFs.
It sounds like a hodge podge but that’s what soups and stews are generally. Trust me, the flavors and different textures all work wonderfully together.
I took a compilation of recipes I found for African Peanut Stew to create this recipe. I feel like the flavor profile reads more Asian and Thai because of the generous amounts of ginger, coriander, and peanut butter. Then again I have never been to Africa or eaten much African food.
It reminds me a bit of this Sweet Potato and Chickpea Coconut Curry and this Thai Chicken Coconut Curry. If you’re a fan of anything Asian, Thai, Indian, or have a thing for peanut sauce or sweet potatoes, this stew will be your jam.
Pin This Recipe
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil (olive or peanut oil may be substituted)
- 1 medium/large sweet Vidalia or yellow onion, diced small
- 1 medium/large red bell pepper, seeded and diced small
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast, diced into bite-sized pieces
- 3 cloves garlic, finely minced or pressed
- 2 to 3 teaspoons ground ginger or 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2+ teaspoons kosher salt, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, optional and to taste
- 3 cups low sodium-vegetable or chicken broth, or as desired (see step 5. below)
- one 15-ounce can petite diced tomatoes (do not drain)
- 1 large/extra-large sweet potato, peeled and diced small
- 3/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, finely minced
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar (apple cider vinegar may be substituted)
- about 3/4 cup salted peanuts, for garnishing
- To a large stockpot or Dutch oven, add the oil, onion, red pepper, and sauté over medium-high heat until the vegetables begins to soften about 5 minutes; stir intermittently.
- Add the chicken and cook for about 5 minutes, or until chicken is done; flip and stir often to ensure even cooking.
- Add the garlic, ginger, coriander, 2 teaspoons salt, pepper, optional cayenne, and cook for about 1 minute, or until fragrant; stir frequently.
- Add the broth, tomatoes, sweet potato, reduce the heat to medium, cover, and allow stew to gently boil for about 15 minutes, or until sweet potatoes are cooked through.
- Add the peanut butter and stir until combined. Taste stew and check for seasoning balance; add additional salt (I added 1 additional teaspoon), pepper, cayenne, coriander, etc. to taste. If you prefer more broth, add 1+ additional cups broth, to taste.
- Add the cilantro, rice vinegar, and stir to combine. Garnish with peanuts and serve immediately. Stew will keep airtight in the fridge for up to 5 days or in the freezer for up to 2 months.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 568Total Fat: 35gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 19gCholesterol: 65mgSodium: 907mgCarbohydrates: 30gFiber: 9gSugar: 10gProtein: 38g
Favorite CHICKEN RECIPES HERE
Sweet Potato and Chickpea Coconut Curry – An easy one-skillet curry that’s ready in 30 minutes and is layered with so many fabulous flavors! Healthy comfort food that tastes amazing!
Thai Chicken Coconut Curry – An easy one-skillet curry that’s ready in 20 minutes and is layered with so many fabulous flavors! Low-cal, low-carb, and healthy but tastes like comfort food!
Crock-Pot® Pressure Cooker Chicken Tikka Masala – Make this Indian favorite at home in 30 minutes! Juicy chicken is coated with an ultra flavorful creamy sauce! You don’t need to go to a restaurant because this easy recipe tastes better!
Peanut Chicken Lettuce Wraps – Easy, ready in 20 minutes, healthy, and the peanut sauce is the best! Great flavors and textures in every bite of these irresistible wraps!
Thai Coconut Chicken Stir Fry – Chicken, sugar snap peas, bell peppers, and carrots simmered in a rich coconut milk broth that’s irresistible! Layers of flavor, easy, ready in 20 minutes, and healthy!
Thai Peanut Chicken Salad – Eat the rainbow with this easy, healthy salad that’s ready in 20 minutes! Juicy chicken and crisp vegetables are tossed in the best peanut sauce ever!
Peanut Chicken with Peanut Noodles – Easy, ready in 20 minutes, tastes better, and way healthier than takeout!! Peanut sauce automatically makes everything taste amazing!
Better-Than-Takeout Cashew Chicken – Juicy chicken, crisp-tender vegetables, and crunchy cashews coated with the best garlicky soy sauce! Skip takeout and make your own restaurant-quality meal that’s easy, ready in 20 minutes, and healthier!
Sesame Mango Chicken – An easy Asian-inspired recipe with tender sesame chicken, juicy mango, and soy-garlic-ginger infused cabbage and carrots! One skillet, ready in 15 minutes, and perfect for busy weeknights!
Chicken Egg Roll Bowls – Deconstructed egg roll bowls reduce the calories, fat, and carbs of traditional egg rolls without sacrificing flavor! Easy, ready in 15 minutes, and way better than takeout!