Loaded Smothered Beef Burritos
This post may contain affiliate links.
Loaded Smothered Beef Burritos Recipe – Mexican comfort food that’s loaded with seasoned ground beef, refried beans, rice, and smothered with sauce and CHEESE!! Tastes BETTER than from a restaurant, plus these burritos are freezer-friendly and so EASY!!
Smothered Beef Burrito Recipe
There is something so comforting about a warm Mexican burrito that’s loaded to the max with ground beef, onions, refried beans, rice, cheese, smothered in more cheese, and covered with red enchilada sauce. If you’re looking for easy comfort food that the whole family will love, look no further than this smothered burrito recipe! These beef burritos taste even better than what you get at a Mexican restaurant.
This beef burrito recipe takes less than an hour to make, and most of that time involves baking the smothered burritos! Because this recipe makes so many burritos, it’s a great recipe to have on hand when you have friends coming over.
These smothered beef burritos are packed with so many ingredients that you can keep your sides super simple. The burritos have beans and rice in them, so stick to something light, like a side salad or veggies. Trust me, these burritos will be the star of your dinner table!
How to Make Burritos
To make these smothered burritos, simply brown ground beef with some diced onion and season with a packet of taco seasoning. Then, add the beef mixture along with a generous smear of refried beans, cooked rice, and cheese to large flour tortillas.
Roll up the burritos and place them in a large skillet before baking for 25 minutes. Then add red enchilada sauce on top of the beef burritos and top with more cheese. You’ll want to bake the smothered burritos until the cheese melts and the sauce is bubbly, about 15 minutes more.
This is such an easy burrito recipe, so definitely try it out this week!
How to Freeze Burritos
You may not need 7 or 8 big burritos all at once — no problem! To freeze burritos, you’ll need to individually place them in freezer-safe containers and pull them out when you need a fast lunch or dinner on the fly. To reheat the frozen burritos, either microwave them for 1-minute bursts, or bake them at 350F for 30 minutes, or until heated through.
You won’t need to buy store-bought frozen burritos or even go out to a restaurant when you can make your own. They have so much flavor and are much more cost efficient!
Tips for the Best Beef Burritos
To save time, use a package of precooked rice. I’m fond of this Spanish Rice in the burritos.
I used medium heat, reduced sodium taco seasoning for the ground beef and medium heat enchilada sauce. Dial the heat up or down in the burritos overall based on your choice of mild, medium, or hot versions of taco seasoning and enchilada sauce.
I also recommend using large, 10-inch flour tortillas that are specifically made for burritos. The burritos are stuffed to the max, so it’s important to have a tortilla big enough to hold everything. Not sure how to wrap a burrito? Check out this tutorial on how to wrap a burrito. (I made 7 big burritos. You could probably stretch it to 8 or 9 depending on how full you fill your tortillas.)
Most importantly, keep in mind you will need a very large skillet. I used this Lodge 15-inch cast iron skillet and my skillet was packed with 7 burritos. Maybe I could have fit 8 or 9 smaller burritos in it, but I didn’t test it.
More Easy Mexican Recipes:
- Instant Pot or Slow Cooker Barbacoa Beef – Learn how to make authentic-tasting barbacoa beef in your Instant Pot or slow cooker! Easy, tastes better than a restaurant, and is a dinnertime winner!
- Mexican Beef Meatballs with Tomato Avocado Salad – These fast and easy beef meatballs are packed with protein, coated in enchilada sauce, and are loaded with Mexican-inspired flavors! Great for busy weeknight dinners or easy-breezy entertaining!
- One Skillet Beef Taco Pasta – An easy recipe that’s ready in 20 minutes, made in one skillet, and loaded with Mexican-inspired flavors! A family favorite that’s great for busy weeknights!
- Loaded Beef Taco Salad with Creamy Lime Cilantro Dressing – Loaded with your favorite taco fixings, minus the shells, to keep things healthier without sacrificing any flavor! The dressing is easy, creamy and irresistible!
- Easy 30-Minute Southwestern Beef Skillet – Easy, family friendly, ready in 30 minutes, and comfort food at its best! Ground beef, pasta, black beans, tomatoes, taco seasoning, and cheese for a Southwestern flair!
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 lb ground beef (I used 90% lean)
- 1 small sweet Vidalia or white onion, diced small
- one 1-ounce packet taco seasoning (I used medium heat, reduced sodium)
- 7 large flour tortillas (10-inch, burrito size)
- one 16-ounce can refried beans
- one 8.5-ounce package precooked rice (I used Spanish Rice)
- 1 1/2 cups + 1 1/2 cups Mexican shredded cheese blend, divided
- one 15-ounce can red enchilada sauce (I used medium heat)
- cilantro, optional for garnishing
- To a large skillet, add 2 tablespoons olive oil, beef, onion, and cook over medium-high heat for about 7 minutes, or until beef is cooked through and onions are soft and translucent; stir and crumble intermittently to ensure even cooking.
- Add the taco seasoning and stir to combine; set skillet aside off the heat.
- Preheat oven to 350F and drizzle the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil into a large oven-proof skillet; set aside.
- Lay the tortillas out on the countertop, evenly smear each with about 2 tablespoons of refried beans down the center, evenly distribute the rice (about 2 to 3 tablespoons) to the center of each tortilla, evenly top with the beef mixture down the center, and evenly distribute 1 1/2 cups of cheese down the center of each tortilla.
- Roll up each burrito and place in the prepared skillet, seam side down. Bake for about 25 minutes.
- Remove skillet from the oven, slowly and evenly drizzle the enchilada sauce over all the burritos, evenly sprinkle the remaining 1 1/2 cups cheese over the top of all the burritos, return skillet to the oven, and bake for 10 to 15 minutes, or until cheese has melted and sauce is lightly bubbling. Optionally garnish with cilantro and serve immediately. Extra burritos will keep airtight in the fridge for up to 5 days or in the freezer for up to 4 months.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 701Total Fat: 33gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 18gCholesterol: 85mgSodium: 1589mgCarbohydrates: 64gFiber: 7gSugar: 6gProtein: 35g
Even More Mexican Recipes:
Sweet Potato, Corn & Black Bean Enchiladas (vegetarian) – Healthier comfort food that everyone will love! Fast, easy, and tastes amazing!
Buffalo Chicken Burrito Bowls – Juicy chicken along with your favorite burrito ingredients served in a bowl! Pile the toppings sky high and not worry about a wrap breaking, plus it’s a little healthier! Easy and ready in 15 minutes!
Easy 20-Minute Chicken Tinga Tacos – Fast, super easy, and the super juicy chicken has authentic smoky chipotle flavor! When you’re craving tacos, these are the tacos to make! Great for busy weeknights!
Easy 30-Minute Chicken Enchilada Chili – Don’t have all day for chili to simmer? No problem! This easy, hearty, healthier chili full of Mexican-inspired flavors is ready in 30 minutes! Perfect for busy weeknights!
Easy 30-Minute Chicken Fajitas — These Easy Chicken Fajitas take just 30 minutes to make and are the perfect weeknight dinner. Friends and family will go crazy for this recipe!
Originally posted November 7, 2018 and reposted April 21, 2021 with updated text.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.