Cheesy Beef Taco Pie
This post may contain affiliate links.
Beef Taco Pie — In this taco pie, a crescent roll crust is topped with a mixture of crushed tortilla chips, ground beef, tomatoes, sour cream, and loads of glorious cheese! It’s the ultimate Mexican comfort food!
Easy Taco Pie Recipe
This is a comfort food recipe that’s perfect for everything from tailgating to holiday parties to a weeknight dinner the whole family will love. Your favorite taco ingredients are baked into this loaded, juicy, and perfectly savory taco pie. My family and friends gave it a 10.
This taco bake takes just 10 minutes to prep, and the rest of the time it’s in the oven. It’s incredibly versatile and can be made with your favorite taco fillings (just be sure not to overfill the pie dish!).
Serve this alongside homemade guac and chips, a simple side salad, or rice and beans. It makes for a hearty meal, and if your side is also filling you only need to give each person one slice of pie (you can feed up to eight people with a single pie). Although now that I’ve said that, I’m not sure that’s the wisest plan — because no one will want just one slice of this taco pie!
What’s in Taco Pie?
This cheesy taco pie requires just eight ingredients to make. Amazing, right? For this easy Mexican recipe, you’ll need:
- Ground beef
- Taco seasoning
- Diced tomatoes
- Crescent rolls
- Corn tortilla chips
- Sour cream
- Shredded cheese
- Fresh cilantro
I bet you already have most of these ingredients in your pantry, so definitely pick up the rest the next time you’re at the grocery store!
How to Make Taco Pie
Rather than using taco shells, I used a tube of crescent rolls that I unrolled and pressed into a pie dish to form the crust. Stretch the rolls as necessary to cover the base and up the side of the pie dish. Then add crushed corn tortilla chips, juicy ground beef and tomatoes, sour cream, more chips, and loads of glorious cheese before baking.
You’ll know it’s ready to be taken out when the cheese is melted and golden brown on top, and the filling starts to bubble up around the edges. I garnished my taco pie with cilantro, but you can use lettuce or garnish with sour cream and salsa or guacamole. This taco bake recipe is very flexible and you can add black beans, corn, or your favorite taco fixings.
Can I Use Ground Turkey In This?
Yes, if you don’t have ground beef on hand or prefer not to use it, ground turkey may be substituted. Turkey has a lot less fat in it though, which means less flavor. Use your best judgement and add a little olive oil to the skillet while you’re browning the turkey to moisten it a bit, if needed.
Can I Make This in Advance?
This cheesy taco pie with crescent rolls is best fresh from the oven. Over time, the bottom crust will start to get a little soggy, so if I’ll be serving this to guests I wait until just before they arrive to pop this in the oven.
However, you can freeze and reheat this pie in the oven, so maybe go that route if you want to get this prepped and off your plate ahead of time.
Tips for Making This Taco Pie
To prevent this beef taco pie from being too salty, I selected low or no sodium ingredients where possible (the taco seasoning and canned tomatoes). Remember that you’ll be adding salty tortilla chips to this taco bake, so you don’t need everything else to have a lot of salt!
I already know some of you will want to know if you can substitute plain Greek yogurt for the sour cream to make this pie a little healthier, but honestly I wouldn’t recommend it. This isn’t an everyday dish, and the sour cream adds lots of flavor and creaminess, so go ahead and use it!
Lastly, let this pie rest for a few minutes after you take it out of the oven. If you try to slice it immediately, your pie slice may fall apart.
More Beef Mexican Recipes:
- Loaded Beef Taco Salad with Creamy Lime Cilantro Dressing — Loaded with your favorite taco fixings, minus the shells, to keep things healthier without sacrificing any flavor! The dressing is easy, creamy and irresistible!
- Beef Queso Dip — Caramelized onions, ground beef, taco seasoning, and cheese in this fast and easy dip everyone loves! Great for game days, parties, holidays, and events!
- Layered Beef Taco Dip – A FAST and EASY layered dip with taco-seasoned cream cheese, sour cream, ground beef, black beans, cheese, tomatoes, and more!! Perfect for your next FIESTA and a guaranteed WINNER with everyone!!
- Loaded Smothered Beef Burritos – Mexican comfort food that’s loaded with seasoned ground beef, refried beans, rice, and smothered with sauce and CHEESE!! Tastes BETTER than from a restaurant, plus these burritos are freezer-friendly and so EASY!!
- Loaded Beef Skillet Nachos — EASY, ready in 15 minutes, and LOADED with taco-seasoned ground beef, black beans, corn, cilantro, and lots of CHEESE!! Great for parties, game days, after school snacks, or a cheat night dinner!!
- 1 pound lean ground beef (I used 85% lean)
- one 1-ounce packet taco seasoning*
- one 14.5-ounce can petite diced tomatoes*
- one 8-ounce tube crescent rolls
- 3/4 cup crushed corn tortilla chips + 1/2 cup crushed corn tortilla chips
- 12 ounces (1 1/2 cups) sour cream (I used lite)
- about 6 ounces shredded Mexican cheese blend, or your favorite cheese
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, finely chopped for garnishing
- Preheat oven to 350F. Spray a 9-inch pie dish with cooking spray, set aside.
- To a large skillet, add the ground beef and cook over medium-high heat until browned, about 5 minutes. Break up the beef and stir intermittently so it cooks evenly.
- Add the taco seasoning (do not add water like the packet calls for), tomatoes and the juice, turn the heat to low, stir to combine, and allow the mixture to simmer for about 5 minutes.
- While mixture simmers, unroll the crescent rolls, and add them to the pie dish in an even flat layer so there’s complete coverage at the base and up the sides. As necessary, stretch and smoosh the dough together to patch in holes. It will expand and bake togteher in the oven so it’s okay if it’s not perfect.
- Evenly sprinkle 3/4 cup tortilla chips over the base of the pie dish.
- Turn out the beef mixture into the pie dish.
- Add the sour cream and spread evenly with a spatula, leaving a 1/2-inch bare margin at the perimeter.
- Evenly sprinkle 1/2 cup tortilla chips.
- Evenly sprinkle the cheese.
- Place pie dish on a baking sheet (insurance against cheesy overflow in oven) and bake for about 35 to 40 minutes, or until cheese has melted and is as lightly golden browned as desired. Start checking at 25 to 30 minutes because all ovens and ingredients vary.
- Evenly sprinkle with cilantro and serve immediately. Dish is best warm and fresh but will keep airtight in the fridge for up to 5 days or in the freezer for up to 2 months.
*To prevent this dish from being too salty, I used reduced-sodium taco seasoning and salt-free tomatoes.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 366Total Fat: 21gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 91mgSodium: 667mgCarbohydrates: 19gFiber: 2gSugar: 5gProtein: 25g
Even More Easy Mexican Recipes:
Check out all of my FAVORITE MEXICAN RECIPES!
Cheesy Chicken Enchilada Quinoa – All the flavor of chicken enchiladas, minus the work of rolling them!! Juicy chicken, corn, black beans, peppers, and loads of melted cheese! Easy, one-skillet, and ready in 30 minutes!!
Chicken Tortilla Lettuce Wraps – Filled with Mexican flavors, there’s taco-seasoned chicken, tomatoes, corn, peppers, cilantro, and cheese! Easy, healthy, ready in 10 minutes, and a family favorite!
Lime Cilantro Chicken with Mixed Rice and Black Beans – Easy, one skillet, 15-minute meal! Tons of textures and bold flavors in every bite! The lime makes this dish just pop!
Avocado, Black Bean and Corn Salad with Lime-Cumin Vinaigrette – Everything tastes better with avocado! Easy, healthy and tons of flavor!
Sweet Potato, Corn, and Black Bean Enchiladas (vegetarian) – Healthier comfort food that everyone will love! Fast, easy, and tastes amazing!
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.