Chicken Taco Lettuce Wraps — Filled with Mexican flavors, there’s taco-seasoned chicken, tomatoes, corn, peppers, cilantro, and cheese! Easy, healthy, ready in 10 minutes, and a family favorite!!
Healthy Taco Lettuce Wraps Recipe
Lettuce wraps at PF Chang’s are so good. They’re a favorite for my family and a must-order item. Since I love Mexican food, I worked some Mexican flair into what’s normally an Asian dish.
Soft butter lettuce (you could also use romaine) cradles taco-seasoned chicken, juicy tomatoes and corn, crisp bell peppers, and cheese.
The wraps are topped with bright cilantro and seasoned tortilla chips. There’s so much flavor and texture in every bite.
The wraps are an easy party appetizer and people love creating their own wraps. Or make them for a fast, fun, and healthy dinner or lunch. They’re ready in 10 minutes and a crowd favorite.
Ingredients in Taco Lettuce Wraps
For these chicken taco lettuce wraps, you’ll need:
- Olive oil
- Chicken breasts
- Taco seasoning
- Butter lettuce
- Red bell pepper
- Shredded cheese
- Seasoned tortilla chips (like Doritos)
- Fresh cilantro
- Toppings of choice
What’s the Best Lettuce for Lettuce Wraps?
For these Mexican-inspired lettuce wraps, I recommend using butter lettuce. Romaine will work too, but you’ll wind up more with taco lettuce boats than true wraps.
Can the Chicken Breasts Be Substituted?
Yes! To make this recipe even easier, you can use ground chicken, turkey, or beef in place of the diced chicken breasts.
How to Make Taco Lettuce Wraps
These chicken breast lettuce wraps couldn’t be simpler to make! Here’s an overview of how the lettuce taco wraps are made:
- Dice and cook the chicken, seasoning it with the taco seasoning when it’s in the skillet.
- Create the lettuce wraps by peeling off the leaves of the butter lettuce from the core.
- Pile the lettuce cups with the seasoned chicken and your favorite taco toppings.
Tips for Making Taco Lettuce Wraps
You’ll want to dice the chicken into bite-sized pieces both so that you can easily stuff the lettuce wraps and also so the chicken cooks quicker.
I tend to overstuff my wraps to pack in as many flavors and textures as I possibly can, but tender butter lettuce doesn’t exactly allow for that and sometimes I have wrap breakage. There are worse things.
What to Serve with Taco Lettuce Wraps
Not sure what to serve with these chicken taco lettuce wraps? Try one of the following Mexican sides:
- Grilled Mexican Corn
- Black Bean, Corn & Avocado Salad
- Borracho Beans
- Baked Tortilla Chips
- Grilled Corn and Avocado Salad
- Instant Pot Black Beans
Pin This Recipe
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into small pieces
- 3 tablespoons taco seasoning (I use reduced sodium, medium heat)
- 1 head butter lettuce
- 1 medium tomato, diced small (I used Roma, vine-ripened or cherry tomatoes may be substituted)
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper, diced small
- 1/2 cup corn (I used frozen, fresh may be substituted)
- 1 cup shredded cheese (I use a Mexican blend with monterey Jack and cheddar)
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves, finely minced
- 1/2 cup seasoned tortilla chips, crushed (I crush Doritos in my palm)
- 1/2 cup canned black beans, drained and rinsed, optional
- 1 medium Hass avocado, peeled and diced or make into guacamole, optional
- salsa, optional for garnshing
- sour cream, optional for garnishing
- To a large skillet, add the olive oil, chicken, and cook over medium-high heat for about 4 minutes, flipping and stirring intermittently so all sides cook evenly.
- After the chicken has cooked through, evenly sprinkle with taco seasoning and stir to evenly coat. Cooking time will vary based on thickness of chicken breasts and sizes of pieces. Allow chicken to rest in pan off the heat while you prep the remaining ingredients.
- Peel off the leaves of the butter lettuce from the core and stack them on a plate.
- Place 2 leaves of butter lettuce on a separate plate (I like to double up the leaves so the wraps are sturdier) and add about 3 tablespoons chicken, 1 tablespoon tomatoes, 1 tablespoon bell peppers, 1 tablespoon corn, 2 tablespoons cheese, a pinch of cilantro, and sprinkle with tortilla chips to taste.
- Optionally add black beans, avocado or guacamole, salsa, or sour cream for garnishing.
- Fold up and enjoy immediately.
- Repeat until chicken and remaining ingredients are gone. Wraps are best fresh.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 525Total Fat: 27gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 16gCholesterol: 126mgSodium: 824mgCarbohydrates: 23gFiber: 7gSugar: 4gProtein: 46g
More Lettuce Wrap Ideas:
PF Chang’s Chicken Lettuce Wraps — Skip the restaurant version and make lettuce wraps at home in 20 minutes!! EASY, healthier because you’re controlling the ingredients, and they TASTE WAY BETTER!!
Peanut Chicken Lettuce Wraps — EASY, ready in 20 minutes, HEALTHY, and the peanut sauce is the BEST!! Great flavors and textures in every bite of these IRRESISTIBLE wraps!!
Spicy Pork Lettuce Wraps — EASY, ready in 20 minutes, perfectly SPICY yet wonderfully fresh!! Just enough heat to keep you going back for more! A new dinnertime WINNER!!
Thai Chicken Lettuce Wraps — EASY, ready in 20 minutes, and layered with FLAVOR galore!! High protein, gluten-free, and the Thai twist is AMAZING! Your NEW GO-TO chicken wrap recipe!!