Easy Homemade FUNFETTI®-Inspired Cake with Vanilla Buttercream
This post may contain affiliate links.
Funfetti Cake with Funfetti Frosting — This cake is as close to store-bought funfetti cake mix that I’ve been able to replicate at home. I have no shame in admitting my love for that stuff, but it’s nice to be able to pronounce all the ingredients and prep a cake from scratch in literally 5 minutes!
Easy Funfetti Cake Recipe
I’ve always loved Funfetti. Who can resist all those sprinkles buried in soft, fluffy cake? None of us in my house can.
This homemade funfetti cake has sprinkles in the batter and also has a wall of sprinkles in the funfetti frosting. Sprinkle overload, such a beautiful thing.
For this easy funfetti cake recipe (sometimes called confetti cake), I used a no mixer cake base that’s adapted my favorite buttermilk cake base that I’ve used for so many cakes, including Blueberry Muffin and Buttermilk Pancakes Cake, Cream Cheese-Swirled Cherry and Mixed Berries Cake, Caramelized Banana Upside-Down Cake, and many more.
I love the cake base because it’s fast and easy to make, and the cakes always turn out supremely moist, springy, and fluffy thanks to buttermilk, sour cream, and oil. That trifecta of moisturizing and tenderizing ingredients makes it impossible to have a dry cake!
What’s in Funfetti Cake?
To make the funfetti cake from scratch, you’ll need:
- All-purpose flour
- Granulated sugar
- Baking powder
- Sour cream
- Canola oil
- Vanilla extract
And for the homemade funfetti frosting, you’ll need:
- Unsalted butter
- Vanilla extract
- Confectioners’ sugar
- More sprinkles!
Can I Substitute the Buttermilk?
Get your hands on real buttermilk, if possible. Otherwise, you can make a buttermilk substitute in a couple of minutes. You can also use powdered buttermilk, which has a long shelf life and comes in handy for recipes like this funfetti birthday cake.
What Are the Best Sprinkles for Funfetti Cake?
I used generic, store-brand sprinkles to make this funfetti cake recipe and they didn’t bleed into the batter at all. Long, skinny sprinkles work best for this recipe.
How to Make Funfetti Cake
Whisk together the dry ingredients in one bowl and the wet in another. Gently stir in the sprinkles.
Turn the batter into a greased 8×8-inch baking dish and bake until the center is set and not jiggly, and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean or with a few moist crumbs, but no batter.
Once the funfetti birthday cake comes out of the oven, let it cool completely before frosting. The homemade funfetti frosting is as simple to make as whipping the ingredients together until light and fluffy!
How to Store the Cake
Cake will keep airtight at room temperature for up to 5 days (I’m comfortable storing frosted cakes at room temp, if you’re not store in the fridge) or in the freezer for up to 6 months.
Can I Double This Recipe?
I’m sure you can. You’d need to double the ingredients listed and bake the funfetti cake in a 9×13-inch pan. Note that your baking time will differ since you’re making a much larger cake.
Can I Make This Recipe as Cupcakes?
You probably can, although I haven’t done so myself so I can’t say for sure. If baking this recipe as cupcakes, you’d likely need to bake them for around 18 to 20 minutes. Use your best judgement!
Can I Make This as a Layer Cake?
If you want to make a more “traditional” looking funfetti birthday cake, you likely can double this recipe and bake it in two 8- or 9-inch round cake tins.
To be safe, Google the volume of an 8×8-inch baking dish versus an 8- or 9-inch round baking tin to see how much of a difference there is between the two. This way, you’ll know if you need to double the recipe or 2.5x it, and so forth.
Tips for Making Homemade Funfetti Cake
If you’re concerned with the sprinkles bleeding into the batter, I recommend being very gentle when stirring them in. If you overmix the batter after adding the sprinkles, it may change color.
If you’re in a time crunch you don’t necessarily need to make scratch funfetti frosting. You can cheat and use a tub of store bought frosting. However, since you’re making a scratch cake, making scratch frosting is the way I would do things. It only takes a couple minutes to whip together.
Note that you must let the funfetti birthday cake cool completely before frosting it, otherwise you’ll wind up with a huge mess on your hands.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- pinch salt, optional and to taste
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/3 cup sour cream, lite is okay (plain Greek yogurt may be substituted)
- 1/4 cup canola or vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup sprinkles, or to taste
Vanilla Buttercream Frosting
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- pinch salt, optional and to taste (helps offset the sweetness)
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups confectioners’ sugar (I use 2 cups)
- 1/3 cup sprinkles, or to taste
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line an 8-by-8-inch baking pan with aluminum foil, spray with cooking spray; set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, optional salt; set aside.
- In a separate small bowl, whisk together the egg, buttermilk, sour cream, oil, and vanilla.
- Add the wet mixture to the dry, mixing lightly with a spoon or folding with a spatula until just combined. Small lumps will be present, don’t overmix or try to stir them smooth.
- Gently stir in the sprinkles, taking care not to overmix or they could bleed.
- Turn batter out into prepared pan and bake for about 30 minutes (start checking at 25 minutes), or until center is set and not jiggly, and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean or with a few moist crumbs, but no batter.
- Place pan on a wire rack and allow cake to cool. While cake cools, make the frosting.
- To a large bowl, add the butter, vanilla, optional salt, and slowly add the confectioners’ sugar while beating with a handheld electric mixer until smooth and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- Turn frosting out onto cooled cake, smoothing it lightly with a spatula or offset knife.
- Evenly sprinkle the sprinkles before slicing and serving.
Make the Cake:
Make the Vanilla Buttercream Frosting:
- Cake will keep airtight at room temperature for up to 5 days (I’m comfortable storing frosted cakes at room temp, if you’re not store in the fridge) or in the freezer for up to 6 months.
- Cake base adapted from Vanilla Cake with Vanilla Bean Browned Butter Glaze.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 523Total Fat: 23gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 53mgSodium: 177mgCarbohydrates: 77gFiber: 0gSugar: 62gProtein: 3g
More Homemade Cake Recipes:
Easy Homemade Funfetti Bundt Cake — No cake mix in this 100% homemade funfetti cake that’s loaded with sprinkles and tastes amazing! Fast, easy, and the best scratch funfetti cake recipe!
Vanilla Cake with Vanilla Bean Browned Butter Glaze — You won’t miss chocolate at all after trying this cake! The glaze is just heavenly!
Easy Yellow Cake with Buttercream Frosting — This is the easiest yellow cake from scratch and it tastes like a million bucks! This yellow cake recipe always turns out supremely moist, springy, soft and fluffy cake thanks to buttermilk, sour cream, and oil. Who needs the bakery?
Pineapple Upside Down Cake — So soft, moist, and really is the best!! A cheery, happy cake that’s sure to put a smile on anyone’s face! This 100% from-scratch cake is an EASY reader favorite you’re going to love!!
Lemon Buttermilk Cake with Lemon Glaze — An easy buttermilk cake with big lemon flavor!! Soft, fluffy, and foolproof if you like puckering up!!
Easy Glazed Pound Cake — Finally a homemade pound cake that isn’t dry!! This EASY, buttery, velvety pound cake will be the star of your next party or celebration!
Rum Cake – A double dose of rum in this EASY cake that’s supremely moist, buttery, and literally juicy from all the rum!! The perfect make-ahead holiday entertaining cake that everyone will LOVE!!
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.