Easy Homemade Funfetti Bundt Cake — NO cake mix in this 100% HOMEMADE funfetti cake and it tastes amazing!! Fast, EASY, and the BEST scratch funfetti cake recipe that’s loaded with sprinkles!!
Easy Funfetti Cake … From Scratch!
I almost called this “Easy Homemade Funfetti Birthday Cake” because it’s a perfect celebration cake.
I made it as a belated birthday cake for myself and another friend because we both had June birthdays that we didn’t get around to celebrating together until much later. Better late than never.
The recipe is as close to Funfetti cake mix that I’ve been able to replicate at home. Nothing against cake mix, and it definitely comes in handy, but it’s nice to be able to make a scratch cake in literally 5 minutes.
It’s an easy, no mixer cake that’s adapted from me Classic Funfetti Cake. I basically doubled the recipe, baked it as a Bundt, and changed up the frosting slightly.
It’s my favorite buttermilk cake base that I’ve used for so many cakes, including Vanilla Cake with Vanilla Bean Browned Butter Glaze, Lemon Buttermilk Cake with Lemon Glaze, The Best Pineapple Upside-Down Cake, and Caramelized Banana Upside-Down Cake.
I love the cake base because it’s fast and easy to make, you only use two bowls, and the cakes always turn out supremely moist, springy, and fluffy thanks to buttermilk, sour cream, and oil. That trifecta of moisturizing and tenderizing ingredients makes it impossible to have a dry cake.
Between the sprinkles inside and on top of the cake and the creamy frosting, it’s a total winner. Make this confetti bundt cake for the next birthday party or shower you’re hosting or going to because it’ll be gobbled up.
What’s in the Funfetti Bundt Cake?
For the homemade Funfetti cake, you’ll need:
- All-purpose flour
- Granulated sugar
- Baking powder
- Sour cream
- Vanilla extract
For the frosting, you can go the store-bought route or you can make your own. If making your own white frosting, you’ll need:
- Unsalted butter
- Confectioners’ sugar
- Cream or milk
How to Make a Funfetti Bundt Cake
Whisk together the dry ingredients, then stir in the wet. Turn the batter into a greased and floured 12-cup bundt pan.
Bake the Funfetti cake until the center is set and not jiggly, and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean or with a few moist crumbs, but no batter. Let the cake cool completely before frosting.
Once the cake is cool, make the homemade frosting (if using). Spread a thick layer atop the cake and top with more sprinkles.
Do I Have to Use a Bundt Pan?
If you don’t have a bundt pan, you can likely bake this cake in two 9-inch cake tins or one 9×13-inch baking dish. The bake times will differ if using different sized pans, so use your best judgement.
Tips for Making a Funfetti Cake From Scratch
I used pure vanilla extract in this cake recipe because that’s what I always have on hand. However, in this instance imitation vanilla extract will make the recipe taste more like a classic birthday cake (if that’s what you’re going for).
Add the sprinkles to the batter last and mix just until combined. Do NOT over mix once the sprinkles are added, otherwise they’ll bleed into the batter and the cake will come out a funny color.
I prefer adding sprinkles to the top of the cake rather than mixing them into the frosting. Mixing them into the frosting makes them bleed and crushes them.
Pin This Recipe
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2/3 cup sour cream, lite is okay (plain Greek yogurt may be substituted)
- 1/2 cup canola or vegetable oil
- 2 to 3 teaspoons vanilla extract, or to taste
- 3/4 cup sprinkles, or to taste
- Preheat oven to 350F. Spray a 12-cup Bundt pan with floured cooking spray, or grease and flour the pan; set aside.
- To a large bowl, add the flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, salt, and whisk to combine; set aside.
- To a separate medium bowl, add the eggs, buttermilk, sour cream, oil, vanilla, and whisk to combine.
- Add the wet mixture to the dry, mixing lightly with a spoon or folding with a spatula until just combined. Small lumps will be present, don’t overmix or try to stir them smooth.
- Gently stir in the sprinkles, taking care not to overmix or they could bleed.
- Turn batter out into prepared pan and bake for about 42 to 49 minutes (start checking at 40 minutes), or until center is set and not jiggly, and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean or with a few moist crumbs, but no batter.
- Place pan on a wire rack and allow cake to cool. After about 15 minutes, remove can from pan and set aside to cool.
- Use storebought frosting (and skip to step 11) OR to a large bowl (or to the bowl of a stand mixer) add the butter and beat until light and creamy.
- Add the confectioners’ sugar, vanilla, and beat with an electric mixer (or use the paddle attachment of a stand mixer) to incorporate.
- Add the cream slowly in the amount necessary to achieve desired frosting consistency.
- Spread frosting over cake. If you have extra frosting it will keep airtight in the fridge for at least 2 weeks.
- Evenly sprinkle the sprinkles before slicing and serving.
Storage: Cake will keep airtight at room temperature for up to 5 days (I’m comfortable storing frosted cakes at room temp, if you’re not store in the fridge) or in the freezer for up to 6 months.
Cake base adapted from Easy Homemade Funfetti Cake.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 360Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 32mgSodium: 240mgCarbohydrates: 64gFiber: 0gSugar: 50gProtein: 4g
More Easy Cake Recipes:
Easy Homemade Funfetti Cake — Move over store-bought cake mix! This easy cake only takes minutes to make and tastes wayyyy better!!
Vanilla Cake with Vanilla Bean Browned Butter Glaze — Move over chocolate, because vanilla has arrived. This no mixer, easy vanilla cake is topped with a browned butter glaze that’s impossible to resist!
Glazed Cinnamon Roll Cake — The flavor of cinnamon rolls in a soft, tender, EASY cake!! One bowl, no mixer, and you’re going to love the tangy-sweet GLAZE!!
Rum Cake — A double dose of rum in this EASY cake that’s supremely moist, buttery, and literally juicy from all the rum!! The perfect make-ahead holiday entertaining cake that everyone will LOVE!!
Snickerdoodle Cake — The interior of this addicting snickerdoodle cake is soft, buttery, dense, and has an almost pound cake-like texture. The cinnamon-sugar filling is my favorite part!
Homemade Yellow Cake — This is the easiest yellow cake from scratch and it tastes like a million bucks! This yellow cake recipe always turns out supremely moist, springy, soft and fluffy cake thanks to buttermilk, sour cream, and oil. Who needs the bakery?
Cinnamon Coffee Cake — Between the cinnamon-sugar crust AND the cinnamon-sugar swirled through the center, this EASY coffee cake is IRRESISTIBLE!