Hershey’s Soft and Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies
This post may contain affiliate links.
If you’re looking for big, bakery-style, buttery cookies loaded with chocolate and that stay soft for days, this is the perfect recipe.
They’re thick enough, but not too thick, with slightly chewy edges and super soft centers.
I’ve made tons of chocolate chip cookie recipes in my day but I especially loved these cookies and the recipe is a keeper. The recipe comes from an old-time cookbook that I was digging through while looking for cookie inspiration.
What sets the recipe apart from most is that it uses corn syrup in the dough. The corn syrup draws moisture into the cookies and it’s the secret weapon that keeps them soft for days. There aren’t any substitutes and if it’s not something you bake with or have available I recommend another recipe such as those linked in the Related Recipes below.
The original recipe doesn’t call for chilling the dough but I always chill cookie dough and it’s one of my tips for cookie baking success.
Between the two sticks of butter and the liquid corn syrup, I fear that without chilling the dough the cookies will spread into giant puddles on your baking sheet. As it was, the cookies were more spread-prone than many and I’m glad I chilled my dough.
I made bigger cookies than the original recipe indicates and baked longer because I love big chocolate chip cookies, but you make them smaller and reduce the baking time.
- 1 cup butter, softened (2 sticks, I use unsalted)
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup light corn syrup (light-colored, not lite)
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 12 ounces chocolate chips (I use semi-sweet, original recipe uses milk)
- To the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment (or large mixing bowl and electric mixer) add the butter, sugars, and beat on medium-high speed until light and fluffy.
- Stop, scrape down the sides of the bowl, and add the corn syrup, egg, vanilla, and beat until well mixed; set aside.
- To a medium bowl, add the flour, baking soda, salt, and stir to combine. Gradually add the flour mixture to the butter mixture and beat on low speed until dough forms; don’t overmix.
- Add the chocolate chips and beat on low speed until just combined.
- Using a large cookie scoop, 1/4-cup measure, or your hands, form approximately 20 equal-sized mounds of dough, roll into balls, and flatten very slightly. Tip – Strategically place a few chocolate chips on top of each mound of dough by taking chocolate chips from the underside for a nice visual pop of chocolate.
- Preheat oven to 350F, line a baking sheet with a Silpat or spray with cooking spray. Place dough mounds on baking sheet, spaced at least 2 inches apart (I bake 6 cookies per sheet) and bake for about 12 to 13 minutes (if your cookies are smaller than mine, reduce baking time) or until edges have set and tops are just set, even if slightly undercooked, pale, and glossy in the center; don’t overbake. Cookies firm up as they cool. Allow cookies to cool on baking sheet for about 10 minutes before serving. I let them cool on the baking sheet and don’t use a rack.
- Cookies will keep airtight at room temperature for up to 1 week or in the freezer for up to 6 months. Alternatively, unbaked cookie dough can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days, or in the freezer for up to 4 months, so consider baking only as many cookies as desired and save the remaining dough to be baked in the future when desired.
From Best-Loved Cookies
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 282Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 34mgSodium: 173mgCarbohydrates: 38gFiber: 1gSugar: 24gProtein: 3g
The Best Soft and Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies – My favorite recipe for chocolate chip cookies! Just one bite and I think you’ll agree!
The Best Soft and Chewy Coconut Oil Chocolate Chip Cookies – You’ll never miss the butter in these cookies that are so soft & loaded to the max with chocolate!
Chocolate Chip and Chunk Cookies – My gold standard Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe for over two years!
Pretzel Chocolate Chip Cookies – Soft chocolate chip cookies packed with chocolate chips and crunchy pretzels!! Salty-and-sweet all in one!
Soft and Chewy Peanut Butter Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies – 3 favorite cookies combined into 1 so you don’t have to choose!! Easy, no-mixer recipe, and always a hit!
The Best Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies – Soft, chewy, loaded with chocolate, and they turn out perfectly every time! Totally irresistible!
Chocolate Chunk Cookie Sticks – No butter used in these fast and easy cookie sticks that can’t spread because they’re baked in a pan!
Loaded Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies – Soft, chewy, and loaded with chocolate! Sinking your teeth into a thick, hearty cookie is the best!
The Best Soft and Chewy M&M’S Cookies – Big, bakery-style cookies you can make at home that are BETTER than the bakery’s! An easy recipe for the classic cookies everyone loves!
Browned Butter Chocolate Chip Cookie Cups – Prone to cookies that spread? It’s impossible with these! Thick, soft & chewy cookies baked in a muffin pan that are so rich from the browned butter!
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.