Chocolate Peppermint Patty Cookies — Very chocolaty, ultra FUDGY, and loaded with chocolate chips and peppermint patties!! If you love mint + chocolate, you’ll adore these easy, soft, and decadent chocolate bombs!!
Chocolate Peppermint Cookies Recipe
I haven’t made any all chocolate cookies since last December. Whoops. That was a serious mistake because these are so, so good. The cookies are fudgy and full of rich chocolate flavor thanks to both cocoa powder and chocolate chips.
There are mini peppermint patties on the top for a burst of minty fresh flavor. Mint screams holiday and winter baking.
They’re slightly chewy around the edges with super soft with tender, pillowy centers. The dough base is adapted from Soft Frosted Chocolate-Chocolate Chip Sprinkles Cookies and although I remember those cookies as being good, this version is a total winner. This is definitely my favorite all chocolate cookie dough base.
What’s in Peppermint Patty Cookies?
To make these chocolate peppermint Christmas cookies, you’ll need:
- Unsalted butter
- Light brown sugar
- Granulated sugar
- Vanilla extract
- Cream or half-and-half
- All-purpose flour
- Unsweetened cocoa powder
- Baking soda
- Semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Peppermint patties
How to Make Peppermint Patty Cookies
Cream together the butter and sugars, then add in the vanilla, egg, and cream. The dry ingredients are added last. Stir the chocolate chips in gently.
Form the cookie dough into balls, then chill for at least 3 hours. Once chilled, press about 3 or 4 peppermint patty pieces to the top of each mound.
Bake the chocolate peppermint cookies until the edges have set and the tops are just set, even if slightly undercooked and glossy in the center.
How to Store These Cookies
These chocolate peppermint Christmas cookies will keep airtight at room temperature for up to 5 days, or in the fridge for up to 1 week.
Tips for Making Peppermint Patty Cookies
There are two tablespoons of cream (or half-and-half) in the dough, which makes the cookies creamy and moist but also makes for a very soft dough so it must be chilled before baking.
The cream also helps combat dryness, which can plague chocolate cookies because of the drying effects of cocoa powder. Just make sure not to overbake and you’ll be rewarded with chocolate overload, in the best possible way.
If you can’t get your hands on mini peppermint patties, buy the larger ones and cut them into smaller pieces.
Pin This Recipe
Peppermint Patty Chocolate Cookies
Very chocolaty, ultra FUDGY, and loaded with chocolate chips and peppermint patties!! If you love mint + chocolate, you'll adore these easy, soft, and decadent chocolate bombs!!
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened (1 stick)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons cream or half-and-half
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- heaping 1/2 cup (almost 2/3 cup) unsweetened natural cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- about 1 1/2 to 2 cups quartered peppermint patty pieces, i.e. York brand (or halved if using peppermint patties minis )
- To the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment (or large bowl and electric mixer), add the butter, sugars, and beat on medium-high speed until creamed and well combined, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Stop, scrape down the sides of the bowl, and add the egg, vanilla, and beat on medium-high speed until well combined, about 2 minutes.
- Stop, scrape down the sides of the bowl, and add the cream, and beat on medium-high speed until well combined, about 1 minute. The batter may look a little ‘grainy’ and almost as if it’s separated, this is okay.
- Stop, scrape down the sides of the bowl, and add the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, salt, and beat on low speed until just combined, about 1 minute.
- Stop, scrape down the sides of the bowl, and add the chocolate chips, and beat on low speed until just combined, about 30 seconds.
- Using a 2-tablespoon cookie scoop or your hands, form approximately 19 equal-sized mounds of dough. The dough is very soft and I find it easiest to use a cookie scoop.
- Preheat oven to 350F, line a baking sheet with a Silpat or spray with cooking spray.
- Flatten the dough mounds about halfway and add about 3 or 4 peppermint patty pieces to the top of each mound, pressing them in firmly so they adhere.
- Place dough mounds on baking sheet, spaced at least 2 inches apart (I bake 8 cookies per sheet) and bake for about 8 to 10 minutes or until edges have set and tops are just set, even if slightly undercooked and glossy in the center; don’t overbake. Cookies firm up as they cool.
- Allow cookies to cool on baking sheet completely. I let them cool on the baking sheet and don’t use a rack.
Storage: Cookies will keep airtight at room temp for up to 5 days or in the fridge for up to 1 week. Alternatively, unbaked dough can be stored airtight in the refrigerator for up to 5 days, or in the freezer for up to 4 months, so consider baking only as many cookies as desired and save the remaining dough to be baked in the future when desired.
Adapted from Soft Frosted Chocolate-Chocolate Chip Sprinkles Cookies.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 356Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 25mgSodium: 114mgCarbohydrates: 59gFiber: 2gSugar: 44gProtein: 3g
More Chocolate Cookie Recipes:
All of my chocolate cookie recipes!
Soft Frosted Chocolate-Chocolate Chip Sprinkles Cookies — Soft, chewy, very chocolaty cookies topped with tangy cream cheese frosting! A match made in heaven! Everything’s better with sprinkles!
Hot Chocolate Cookies – Rich chocolate cookies topped with a hunk of melted dark chocolate and toasted marshmallows! Best ‘hot chocolate’ you’ll ever have!
Softbatch Cream Cheese Chocolate-Chocolate Chip Cookies – Cream cheese keeps them super soft! Say hello to one amazing chocolate cookie!
Soft and Chewy Nutella White Chocolate Chip Cookies – Thick, rich, chocolaty cookies that are so soft you won’t be able to resist them!
Chocolate Crinkle Cookies – Soft, ultra fudgy and there’s NO butter and NO mixer needed! So easy and the crinkles make them irresistible!
Quadruple Chocolate Soft Fudgy Pudding Cookies – For true chocolate lovers, these super soft cookies are loaded with chocolate!
Mounds Bar Chocolate Coconut Cake Mix Cookies – Chocolate and coconut is a winning combination in these goofproof chocolate cake mix cookies that are so soft and moist
Dark Chocolate Chunk and Peanut Butter Chip Chocolate Cookies – Rich, soft chocolate cookies with chocolate chunks and peanut butter chips
Andes Mint Chip Soft Fudgy Chocolate Cookies – Big, thick, fudgy chocolate cookies with a hint of mint and loads of chocolate in every bite!
Caramel-Stuffed Quadruple Chocolate Cookies – Soft and chewy cookies with four kinds of chocolate and so much gooey caramel!
I made these but didn’t have the mini peppermint pattys so I tried them with Hershey’s salted caramel chips. They were amazing! Thank you so much for the wonderful recipe.
Thanks for trying the recipe and glad it came out great for you with the Hershey’s salted caramel chips!
Made these tonight for our Christmas celebration tomorrow (the 26th). I don’t even like mint, but this cookie was awesome. The chocolate cookie itself was amazing, and I’ll be trying this base with the mini Reese’s. Averie, your recipes never disappoint.
Thanks for trying the recipe and I’m glad it came out great for you! I feel in love (again) with this cookie base (had forgotten about it for a year) and there’s another recipe using this base coming up on Friday this week :)
These get a big fat yes from the committee (AKA me and my BELLY). I love peppermint patties and I love cookies. Better together? YES!
hey girl- these look so yummy!
These look right down my alley! Pinned for later, thank you! :)
Oh my, these cookies look heavenly!! I can’t wait to make them! Thanks for sharing the recipe, Averie!
These would be a favorite in my house for sure!!!
Sadly, we are at 50% love for peppermint patties in my household … but I think I’ve made your ch0colate cookie base before and all I can say is, yum!!!
My 10yo loves Peppermint Patties! I need to make a batch of these beauties asap!
Peppermint patty pieces on top of a soft chocolate cookie look and sound delicious! The extra chips are a nice chocolaty bonus too☺
This looks crazy delicious!