Piña Colada Chex Mix
Piña Colada Chex Mix – An EASY and addictively AMAZING salty-sweet snack!! It’s crunchy, chewy, and between the pineapple, coconut, banana, and lime you’ll feel like you’re on a tropical vacation!!
This is one of those snacks that I truly couldn’t stop eating. It’s salty-and-sweet, crunchy, chewy, with so many different textures, and it has the flavors of the tropics from the pineapple, coconut, and lime.
I had to get it away from myself or I could have eaten the entire army-sized batch myself.
When I initially posted a photo of it to my Instagram Story, I had many more people than usual comment that they couldn’t wait for the recipe. And here you are.
What’s In The Piña Colada Chex Mix
This recipe is incredibly flexible based on what you can get your hands on without too much difficulty. I live near a Trader Joe’s and I bought many of the ingredients there.
In addition there’s Honey Nut Chex Cereal and lime juice. I think most varieties of Chex would work but I would stay away from Rice Chex.
It’s much softer and won’t hold up as well and because this mix initially starts out saturated in melted coconut oil and lime juice, I don’t recommend Rice Chex.
Flexible Recipe You Can Adapt
There are so many different kinds of shelf-stable “dried” fruits these days including dehydrated, freeze-dried, and baked. Use what you can find and is cost-efficient.
I used a 2-ounce bag of coconut chips and had never purchased that product before and didn’t realize that two ounces would be on the skimpy side for this recipe, but I wasn’t venturing back out for a second bag. If you love coconut, I would double the amount.
The 6-ounce bag of baby sweet pineapple was also not as plentiful as I expected but after I quartered them, it was sufficient.
I also think dried apricots would work well and are cheaper than dried pineapple. Although you can’t have Piña Colada Chex Mix without pineapple.
You could also add macadamia nuts or almonds.
Add white chocolate chips after the mix is fully cooled to take the recipe in the sweeter direction.
Add additional salt if you want to play up the salty-sweet aspect.
There is no substitute for coconut oil that I would recommend.
Use my recipe as a guideline and have fun getting creative and customizing the mix to your liking. The mix will keep airtight at room temp for at least 10 days, although I doubt it will last that long.
It looks like a ton when you’re making it, but a nibble here, and another nibble there, before you know it, it’ll have disappeared.
Favorite Piña Colada Inspired Recipes:
- Pina Colada Fruit Salad – Learn how to make an easy Fruit Salad with a twist that everyone loves!!
- Strawberry Coconut Pina Colada – A smoothie that tastes like a strawberry pina colada!! Fast, easy, refreshing, naturally sweet, and made with ONLY 3 INGREDIENTS!!
- Pina Colada Seven Layer Bars – Eat your pina colada rather than drinking one with these fast, EASY, no-mixer bars that taste TROPICAL!! Pineapple, coconut, white chocolate, and cherries!!
- Piña Colada Smoothie – Just four ingredients and is naturally vegan and gluten-free. It makes for a quick breakfast or a delicious poolside treat!
- one 12.5-ounce box Honey Nut Chex Cereal
- 8 ounces dried banana chips
- 6 ounces dried baby sweet pineapple, diced into small pieces if necessary
- 2 ounces roasted unsweetened coconut chips
- 3/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more if desired
- Preheat oven to 250F, line a half sheet pan with aluminum foil for easier cleanup, and to a large bowl add the cereal, banana chips, pineapple, coconut chips, and stir to combine.
- Evenly drizzle with the melted coconut oil, lime juice, and stir to combine.
- Add the sugar, 1 teaspoon salt, and stir to combine. Taste, and if you prefer more of a salty-sweet snack, add more salt to taste.
- Turn mixture out onto the prepared pan (it will be very full; consider using two pans if your oven can accommodate two large pans at once) and bake for about 75 minutes, or until the cereal has dried out and crisped up a bit and the coconut is light golden brown. While baking, stir and flip well every 15 to 20 minutes to ensure even cooking. Start checking for doneness after 1 hour. See Baking Tips in the Notes below.
- Allow the sheet pan to sit out, uncovered, at room temp for a few hours, or overnight. The mix will continue to crisp up as it cools. Mixture will keep airtight for at least 10 days at room temp.
- Baking Tips for Step 4 - Coconut and dried fruit can burn easily so keep an eye on it and if yours is looking done much sooner than 75 minutes, so be it. Or if you need to bake it for 90 minutes, that is fine. 75 minutes is only a guideline since all ovens and the exact combination of ingredients will vary.
- Don't be alarmed if it looks like there is lots of coconut oil pooling at the bottom of the pan as the mix bakes. This will mostly absorb over time, but not completely.
- Even if you bake it for 90+ minutes, it's the nature of coconut oil to not fully absorb. When you eat this snack, you will see coconut oil on your fingers. Embrace the moisturizing effects of coconut oil.
Related Chex Mix Recipes
5-Minute Dill Pickle Chex Mix – Pickle lovers get ready for this ADDICTIVELY amazing Chex Mix!! Robustly flavored with ranch seasoning, dill, and pickle juice! Fast, EASY, and a perfect party snack!!
Parmesan Ranch Snack Mix – Ready in 5 minutes and so many textures and flavors in every bite!
Crock-Pot Maple Pumpkin Spice Chex Mix – Loaded with fall flavors and made in a Crock-Pot! Way too easy and totally irresistible!
5-Minute Pumpkin Spice Chex Mix – Two kinds of Chex, peanuts, pretzels, dried cranberries, and candy corn! Dangerously fast, super easy, and so crazy good!
Reindeer Chow – A holiday twist on classic Muddy Buddies that’s EASY, ready in 15 minutes, and perfect for hostess gifts or cookie exchanges!! Chex, chocolate, peanut butter, pretzels, M&Ms, and sprinkles make this dessert snack mix totally IRRESISTIBLE!!
White Chocolate Peanut Butter Puppy Chow – Sweet, peanut buttery, crunchy, and addictive! Ready in 5 minutes!
Skinny 100-Calorie Chocolate Peanut Butter Snack Mix (vegan, GF, no butter/oil) – 5 minutes to make, satisfying, and won’t derail your diet!
Chocolate Peanut Butter Chex Mix Bars – SO EASY, NO-BAKE, and ready in FIVE minutes!! Chex cereal, pretzels, and M&Ms glued together with peanut butter and marshmallows!! An IRRESISTIBLE salty-sweet combination!!
Pina Colada Seven Layer Bars – Eat your pina colada rather than drinking one with these fast, EASY, no-mixer bars that taste TROPICAL!! Pineapple, coconut, white chocolate, and cherries!!
Piña Colada Smoothie – Just four ingredients and is naturally vegan and gluten-free. It makes for a quick breakfast or a delicious poolside treat!
No-Bake Tropical Granola Bars – Soft, chewy, easy, and ready in minutes!! No baking or nut butter necessary! You won’t miss storebought granola bars after tasting how AWESOME homemade bars are!!