Piña Colada Chex Mix — An EASY and addictively AMAZING salty-sweet Chex mix!! It’s crunchy, chewy, and between the pineapple, coconut, banana, and lime you’ll feel like you’re on a tropical vacation!!
Salty and Sweet Chex Mix Recipe
This is one of those snacks that I truly couldn’t stop eating. It’s salty-and-sweet, crunchy, chewy, with so many different textures, and it has the flavors of the tropics from the pineapple, coconut, and lime.
I had to get it away from myself or I could have eaten the entire army-sized batch myself.
When I initially posted a photo of it to my Instagram Story, I had many more people than usual comment that they couldn’t wait for the recipe. And here you are.
This homemade Chex mix recipe is incredibly flexible based on what you can get your hands on without too much difficulty. I live near a Trader Joe’s and I bought many of the ingredients there.
Namely, the dried banana chips, dried baby sweet pineapple (that’s what are tan/brown in color and looks like it could be dates in the photos), roasted unsweetened coconut chips, and the coconut oil. In addition, there’s Honey Nut Chex Cereal and lime juice.
There are so many different kinds of shelf-stable “dried” fruits these days including dehydrated, freeze-dried, and baked. Use what you can find and is cost-efficient.
I used a 2-ounce bag of coconut chips and had never purchased that product before and didn’t realize that two ounces would be on the skimpy side for this recipe, but I wasn’t venturing back out for a second bag. If you love coconut, I would double the amount.
The 6-ounce bag of baby sweet pineapple was also not as plentiful as I expected but after I quartered them, it was sufficient.
What’s in This Sweet Chex Mix Recipe?
To make this baked Chex mix recipe, you’ll need:
- Honey Nut Chex Cereal
- Dried banana chips
- Dried baby sweet pineapple
- Roasted unsweetened coconut chips
- Coconut oil
- Lime juice
- Granulated sugar
- Kosher salt
How to Make Baked Chex Mix
To a large bowl, add the cereal, banana chips, pineapple, coconut chips, and stir to combine. Evenly drizzle with the melted coconut oil and lime juice, then add the sugar and salt.
Turn the mixture onto a foil-lined baking tray and bake at 250F until the cereal has dried out and crisped up a bit and the coconut is light golden brown.
Can I Use Another Type of Chex Cereal?
I think most varieties of Chex would work, but I would stay away from Rice Chex. It’s much softer and won’t hold up as well and because this mix initially starts out saturated in melted coconut oil and lime juice, I don’t recommend Rice Chex.
How to Store Homemade Chex Mix
The sweet and salty Chex mix will keep airtight at room temp for at least 10 days, although I doubt it will last that long. It looks like a ton when you’re making it, but a nibble here, and another nibble there, before you know it, it’ll have disappeared.
Tips for Making Salty-Sweet Chex Mix
Use my recipe as a guideline and have fun getting creative and customizing the mix to your liking.
- I think dried apricots would work well and are cheaper than dried pineapple. Although you can’t have Piña Colada Chex Mix without pineapple.
- You could also add macadamia nuts or almonds.
- Add white chocolate chips after the mix is fully cooled to take the recipe in the sweeter direction.
- Add additional salt if you want to play up the salty-sweet aspect.
- There is no substitute for coconut oil that I would recommend.
Pin This Recipe
Piña Colada Chex Mix
An EASY and addictively AMAZING salty-sweet snack!! It's crunchy, chewy, and between the pineapple, coconut, banana, and lime you'll feel like you're on a tropical vacation!!
- one 12.5-ounce box Honey Nut Chex Cereal
- 8 ounces dried banana chips
- 6 ounces dried baby sweet pineapple, diced into small pieces if necessary
- 2 ounces roasted unsweetened coconut chips
- 3/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more if desired
- Preheat oven to 250F, line a half sheet pan with aluminum foil for easier cleanup, and to a large bowl add the cereal, banana chips, pineapple, coconut chips, and stir to combine.
- Evenly drizzle with the melted coconut oil, lime juice, and stir to combine.
- Add the sugar, 1 teaspoon salt, and stir to combine. Taste, and if you prefer more of a salty-sweet snack, add more salt to taste.
- Turn mixture out onto the prepared pan (it will be very full; consider using two pans if your oven can accommodate two large pans at once) and bake for about 75 minutes, or until the cereal has dried out and crisped up a bit and the coconut is light golden brown. While baking, stir and flip well every 15 to 20 minutes to ensure even cooking. Start checking for doneness after 1 hour. See Baking Tips in the Notes below.
- Allow the sheet pan to sit out, uncovered, at room temp for a few hours, or overnight. The mix will continue to crisp up as it cools.
- Baking Tips for Step 4 - Coconut and dried fruit can burn easily so keep an eye on it and if yours is looking done much sooner than 75 minutes, so be it. Or if you need to bake it for 90 minutes, that is fine. 75 minutes is only a guideline since all ovens and the exact combination of ingredients will vary.
- Don't be alarmed if it looks like there is lots of coconut oil pooling at the bottom of the pan as the mix bakes. This will mostly absorb over time, but not completely.
- Even if you bake it for 90+ minutes, it's the nature of coconut oil to not fully absorb. When you eat this snack, you will see coconut oil on your fingers. Embrace the moisturizing effects of coconut oil.
- Storage: Mixture will keep airtight for at least 10 days at room temp.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 294Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 13gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 355mgCarbohydrates: 36gFiber: 2gSugar: 17gProtein: 2g
More Chex Mix Recipes:
5-Minute Dill Pickle Chex Mix — Pickle lovers get ready for this ADDICTIVELY amazing Chex Mix!! Robustly flavored with ranch seasoning, dill, and pickle juice! Fast, EASY, and a perfect party snack!!
Parmesan Ranch Snack Mix – Ready in 5 minutes and so many textures and flavors in every bite!
Crock-Pot Maple Pumpkin Spice Chex Mix – Loaded with fall flavors and made in a Crock-Pot! Way too easy and totally irresistible!
5-Minute Pumpkin Spice Chex Mix – Two kinds of Chex, peanuts, pretzels, dried cranberries, and candy corn! Dangerously fast, super easy, and so crazy good!
Reindeer Chow – A holiday twist on classic Muddy Buddies that’s EASY, ready in 15 minutes, and perfect for hostess gifts or cookie exchanges!! Chex, chocolate, peanut butter, pretzels, M&Ms, and sprinkles make this dessert snack mix totally IRRESISTIBLE!!
White Chocolate Peanut Butter Puppy Chow – Sweet, peanut buttery, crunchy, and addictive! Ready in 5 minutes!
Skinny 100-Calorie Chocolate Peanut Butter Snack Mix (vegan, GF, no butter/oil) – 5 minutes to make, satisfying, and won’t derail your diet!
Chocolate Peanut Butter Chex Mix Bars – SO EASY, NO-BAKE, and ready in FIVE minutes!! Chex cereal, pretzels, and M&Ms glued together with peanut butter and marshmallows!! An IRRESISTIBLE salty-sweet combination!!
This is so fun and perfect for summer!
And so addictively GOOD! :)