Prosciutto and Balsamic Greens Flatbread
This post may contain affiliate links.
Prosciutto Flatbread Pizza — Topped with prosciutto, red onion, kale, balsamic, and made with store-bought dough! Perfect for FAST dinners or EASY entertaining!!
Easy Flatbread Pizza Recipe
Do you ever feel like you should have a salad but in reality feel like pizza? This flatbread is the answer.
It’s part kale salad thanks to the wilted kale that’s been sautéed with zucchini, red onions, garlic, and drizzled with balsamic vinegar for a snappy punch of flavor.
And it’s part pizza with plenty of gooey fontina cheese. If you’ve never tried fontina, it’s silky smooth, melts like a dream, and I like to think of it as mozzarella’s fancier cousin.
The flatbread is topped with thinly sliced prosciutto, which I think elevates this recipe from the pizza category and into the flatbread category.
The crust is a bit crispy around the edges but softer in the middle. It’s seasoned with dried rosemary which adds an incredible amount of flavor and shouldn’t be skipped.
The veggies add texture and help me feel like I’m eating something a little bit healthier than your average pizza.
The fontina is a cheese lover’s dream and the prosciutto adds a salty, savory dimension that feels so much more luxurious than pepperoni or sausage.
Difference Between Pizza And Flatbread
Flatbread to me is something a little fancier than pizza and something you’d see on the menu of a hip restaurant.
It’s not necessarily covered with melted cheese like you’d find on pizza. And the crusts on either pizza or flatbread can vary wildly. But that’s just my personal opinion of course.
What’s in Prosciutto Flatbread Pizza?
To make this store-bought flatbread pizza recipe, you’ll need:
- Pizza dough
- Olive oil
- Dried rosemary
- Red onion
- Balsamic vinegar
- Fontina cheese
How to Make Prosciutto Flatbread Pizza
Making flatbread pizza is so easy! Simply roll out the dough into a large rectangle, then rub with olive oil and sprinkle with rosemary.
Bake the crust on its own until it’s lightly golden in color. While it bakes, saute the kale, onion, zucchini, and garlic just until the veggies soften. Stir in the balsamic, and let it cook down a bit to reduce.
Pull the pre-baked crust from the oven, pile high with veggies, sprinkle with cheese, and bake just until the cheese melts.
Lay the prosciutto on top and dig in!
How to Make Flatbread Pizza Crispy
To make the flatbread pizza crispy, I rubbed it with olive oil and baked it on its own until golden before adding the toppings. Using a pizza stone would also help crisp up the crust, I imagine.
Can I Use Homemade Pizza Dough?
Of course! If you want to make scratch dough, I have an easy recipe for one hour pizza dough but if you’re not in the mood, buy fresh store bought pizza dough. Or, make a two-ingredient pizza dough using Bisquick!
Tips for Making Flatbread Pizza
If you can’t find fontina, gouda or mozzarella are okay substitutes.
The dough does not need to be rolled out perfectly. Embrace some imperfect edges and a rustic vibe. Makes like so much easier.
I got everything I needed to make this recipe from Trader Joe’s — fresh dough, red onion, kale in a bag, balsamic, fontina, prosciutto — one stop shopping and done. Not sponsored by them, just mentioning it for convenience.
- flour for rolling out dough
- 1 pound pizza dough, at room temperature (store bought or homemade
- about 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 to 1 1/2 teaspoons dried rosemary
- half of 1 large red onion, sliced vertically into thin strips
- half of 1 large zucchini, cubed into small pieces
- about 3 cups kale, torn into bite-sized pieces with thick ribs removed
- 2 to 4 cloves garlic, finely minced or pressed
- 2 to 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- about 8 ounces fontina cheese, grated (gouda or mozzarella may be substituted)
- about 6 thin slices prosciutto
- Preheat oven to 450F and on a floured surface, roll out the dough into a 12x10-inch rectangle or similar.
- Transfer dough to a lightly oiled baking sheet and evenly drizzle about 1 to 2 tablespoons olive oil over the top of the dough. Lightly rub the oil in with your fingers to coat the dough evenly.
- Evenly sprinkle with the rosemary and bake for about 12 minutes or until lightly golden.
- While the dough bakes, to a large skillet add about 2 tablespoons olive oil, onion, zucchini, and sauté over medium-high heat until vegetables have softened, about 5 minutes; stir intermittently.
- Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute; stir frequently.
- Add the greens and cover the skillet to encourage the greens to wilt, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Evenly drizzle with balsamic vinegar, evenly season with salt and pepper, and stir to combine.
- After crust is done baking, add the greens mixture to the flatbread, evenly top with cheese, and bake for about 5 minutes, or until cheese has melted.
- Evenly add the prosciutto and serve immediately.
Flatbread is best fresh but will keep airtight in the fridge for up to 2 days.
Adapted from BHG
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 765Total Fat: 37gSaturated Fat: 13gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 21gCholesterol: 65mgSodium: 1563mgCarbohydrates: 79gFiber: 5gSugar: 6gProtein: 28g
More Easy Pizza Recipes:
Barbecue Chicken Pizza – A copycat version of California Pizza Kitchen’s bbq chicken pizza that you can make at home in 15 minutes! EASY, loaded with juicy chicken, red onions, cilantro, and lots of cheese!
Three Cheese Pizza – Homemade pizza is great! And where there are 3 cheeses involved, even better! Fast, easy, and better than calling for pizza delivery!
Easy Pizza Bake – Skip takeout and make your own warm and cheesy deep dish pizza bake! Fast, easy, and ready in 30 minutes! It’s a keeper everyone loves!
Easy Mini Pepperoni Pizzas – Ready in 10 minutes, mindlessly easy, and mini food just tastes better! Great as an appetizer, after-school or late-night snack, or as perfect tailgating party food!
Pepperoni Pizza and Chipotle Avocado Cucumber Flatbreads – Fun, easy and great for game days!
Pepperoni Pizza Sliders – Pizza by way of supremely cheesy sliders! Easy, ready in 15 minutes, and perfect for parties because everyone loves them! Totally irresistible!
Mango Basil Personal-Sized Tortilla Pizzas – Storebought tortilla shells bake up thin, crispy, and are easy to use for personal-sized pizzas! Everyone can choose their toppings!
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.