Salted Caramel Carrot Cake
This post may contain affiliate links.
Salted Caramel Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting – Soft, tender carrot cake infused with salted caramel sauce and topped with tangy cream cheese frosting is the ULTIMATE in decadence!! Calling all carrot cake fans, you will LOVE this version!!
How Does The Salted Caramel Carrot Cake Taste
There are so many great flavors and textures in this easy carrot cake recipe including a perfectly spiced and moist cake that’s laced with plenty of carrots and salted caramel sauce in every bite.
The cream cheese frosting takes this carrot cake over the top and into truly rich and decadent territory. You only live once, right.
The contrast of the tangy cream cheese frosting with the salted caramel sauce and then sweet cake was all just perfect.
If you’re a fan of nuts or raisins in your carrot cake, they would be nice additions. But there is already so much goodness and richness going on with this cake, anything else wasn’t necessary for us.
How To Make The Salted Caramel Carrot Cake
I have plenty of scratch carrot cake recipes but this one starts with a shortcut in the form of a box of yellow cake mix.
Doctor up the cake mix with cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, vanilla, and of course shredded carrots. Make sure to grate your own because carrots you can buy in bags that are pre-shredded have an odd texture that isn’t right for this recipe.
I am not shy when it comes to adding spices to either carrot cake or in any pumpkin recipe so that I can be sure there is the robust carrot cake flavor I want when it’s done, and this cake is no exception.
After baking the cake, poke holes in it all over with a fork. Yes, this is actually a poke cake, the best kind of cake in my opinion, since they’re never dry and have different flavors layered together.
Pour salted caramel sauce all over the surface of the cake and let it seep in. Some of it will sit on the surface of the cake since salted caramel sauce tends to have quite a thick and viscous texture and that’s perfectly fine.
The Salted Caramel Sauce
You can either make use this recipe for The Best and Easiest Homemade Salted Caramel Sauce which is ready in 15 minutes (make it while the cake bakes) or you can use store bought salted caramel sauce.
If you have a Trader Joe’s in your area, a 10-ounce jar of their salted caramel sauce is perfect for the recipe but other brands will be just fine.
The Cream Cheese Frosting
If you want to employ another shortcut, one 14-ounce tub of prepared cream cheese frosting works perfectly fine or you can make your own.
If you’re looking to make this cake as fast and easy as possible, use store bought salted caramel sauce and frosting; and at the other end of the spectrum, make both from scratch – your choice.
However you decide to make this carrot cake, you’ll love it and so will any carrot cake fan.
Favorite Carrot Cake Recipes:
- Carrot Apple Bread – Carrot cake with apples added and baked as a bread so it’s healthier! Super moist, packed with flavor, fast and easy!
- The Best Pumpkin Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting – A marriage of pumpkin cake and carrot cake into one soft, moist, tender, and amazing cake! The tangy cream cheese frosting is truly the icing on this easy cake!
- Soft and Chewy Spiced Carrot Cake Cookies – Tons of texture and so moist with zero cakiness. Eat your vegetables by way of healthy cookies!
- Carrot Apple Cream Cheese Tunnel Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting – If you like carrot cake, you’re going to LOVE this version that includes apples and a tunnel of cream cheese that runs through the center!! EASY, amazing, and a MUST-MAKE!!
- one 15.25-ounce box yellow cake mix
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup vegetable or canola oil
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 1/2 cups grated carrots, loosely packed and measured (from about 4-5 medium peeled carrots, grated on the coarsest blade of a box grater)
- one 10-ounce jar prepared salted caramel sauce
- 10 ounces homemade salted caramel sauce
Cream Cheese Frosting
- one 14-ounce tub prepared fluffy cream cheese frosting
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened (lite okay)
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 2 1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 2 to 4 tablespoons salted caramel sauce for drizzling, or to taste
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line a 9x13-inch pan with foil for easier cleanup and spray with cooking spray; set aside.
- To a large mixing bowl, add all ingredients except the carrots, and beat on high speed for about 2 minutes or until well combined.
- Add the carrots and beat to incorporate. Tip - It's important to peel and then grate your own carrots on the coarsest blade of a box grater. Bagged, pre-grated carrots have a texture that is not desirable for this recipe.
- Turn batter out into prepared pan, smooth the top with a spatula, and bake for about 28 to 31 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean or with a few moist crumbs in the center.
- Immediately poke holes in the hot cake with a fork in about 100 places, going about 3/4 of the way down but not all the way to the bottom of the cake.
- Either use prepared salted caramel sauce (Trader Joe's 10-ounce jars are perfect here) OR to make from scratch follow this recipe.
- Evenly and slowly pour the salted caramel sauce over the cake. Tip - If you are using prepared caramel sauce, warm the caramel sauce in the microwave for about 10 seconds before pouring it over the cake because it will make the pouring and absorption process easier. Allow the caramel sauce to absorb for at least one hour, or overnight if desired, at room temp and covered. Not all of the caramel sauce may 'absorb' into the cake by sinking into the cake deeply and may sit on the surface and that is fine.
Cream Cheese Frosting
- Either use a tub of prepared frosting OR to make from scratch, to a large bowl (or to the bowl of a stand mixer) add the cream cheese, butter, confectioners’ sugar, vanilla, salt, and beat with an electric mixer (or use the paddle attachment of a stand mixer) until light and fluffy, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Turn frosting out over the cake and spread into a smooth, even, flat layer using a spatula or knife.
- Evenly drizzle 2 to 4 tablespoons salted caramel sauce over the cake before slicing and serving. Cake will keep airtight in the fridge for up to 1 week.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 291Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 51mgSodium: 290mgCarbohydrates: 44gFiber: 1gSugar: 34gProtein: 3g
Related Carrot Dessert Recipes
Carrot Apple Cream Cheese Tunnel Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting – If you like carrot cake, you’re going to LOVE this version that includes apples and a tunnel of cream cheese that runs through the center!! EASY, amazing, and a MUST-MAKE!!
Carrot Apple Bread – Carrot cake with apples added and baked as a bread so it’s healthier! Super moist, packed with flavor, fast and easy!
The Best Pumpkin Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting – A marriage of pumpkin cake and carrot cake into one soft, moist, tender, and amazing cake! The tangy cream cheese frosting is truly the icing on this easy cake!
Vegan Carrot Cake Muffins – Fast, EASY, accidentally vegan muffins that are bursting with authentic carrot cake flavor!! If you’re looking for a healthier carrot cake recipe that tastes AMAZING, make these muffins immediately!!
Carrot Cake Loaf with Cream Cheese Frosting – Soft, moist carrot cake that’s baked as a loaf. So much faster & easier than baking a cake!
Carrot Cake Cupcakes with Vanilla Cream Cheese Frosting – My favorite foolproof recipe for soft, moist, flavorful carrot cake cupcakes!
Soft and Chewy Spiced Carrot Cake Cookies – Tons of texture and so moist with zero cakiness. Eat your vegetables by way of healthy cookies!
Soft Carrot Cake Bars with Cream Cheese Glaze – Super soft bars that taste like blondies packed with chewy carrots! So good & a must-make!
The Best & Easiest Homemade Salted Caramel Sauce – Ready in 15 minutes and tastes 1000x better than any storebought sauce ever could!
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.