Six-Banana Banana Chocolate Chip Cake
Six-Banana Banana Chocolate Chip Cake – Yes, 6 bananas in 1 cake means it’s super SOFT, moist, and has robust banana flavor with chocolate chips in EVERY bite!! EASY and one bowl! Now you know what to do with all your ripe bananas!!
I have a recipe on my site for Six-Banana Banana Bread and it has been a reader favorite over the years.
Seriously 6 Bananas
Yes, there really are 6 bananas in that loaf and in this easy one-bowl cake. Bonus points for not having to drag out a mixer or using more than 1 bowl.MY OTHER RECIPES
If you ever find yourself with a surplus of bananas on your hands, now you know what to make.
I love banana desserts of any kind and with 40+ banana bread and banana recipes and counting, what’s one more.
The cake is super soft, tender, supremely moist, and there are chocolate chips in every bite. I prefer to use mini chocolate chips rather than full because they stay suspended better and do not sink as easily.
Why Add Pudding Mix
The pudding mix serves to add some lightness, fluffiness, and springiness. You want to use instant pudding mix, not cook and serve. I prefer to use regular and not sugar free
You are not making pudding. Rather, simply add the pudding mix along with the flour and dry ingredients and stir it in.
Do I Have To Use Pudding Mix
For this recipe, I have only tested it using pudding mix. If you do not have pudding mix in your area, you could try adding another 1/4 cup of flour plus 1 to 2 teaspoons corn starch but I have not tested that.
What Does This Cake Taste Like
Because of the 6 bananas, don’t expect a super light and airy cake. It’s definitely on the heavier and denser side but it is so moist and for me, that is a huge win. I despise dry cakes.
All those bananas really make a difference in the overall banana flavor and banana intensity level. It’s bursting at the seams with banana flavor.
Tenting And Batter Pro Tips
Because bananas vary widely in moisture content and their exact size, as do ovens, baking times will vary. Watch your cake and not the clock. 53 minutes was perfect for me and in the last 15 minutes I tented my Bundt pan with foil to prevent the surface from darkening too much.
Banana desserts can often be foolers and can take longer than you think they will to bake through so bake as long as necessary.
I had about 3/4 cup too much batter for my 12-cup Bundt pan to comfortably hold and added it to one mini 5×3-inch loaf pan which took 37 minutes in my oven to bake.
If you don’t have a mini loaf pan, you may have a bit more batter than a 12-cup Bundt pan will hold. If that’s the case, I’d advise discarding that batter; or in other words, don’t fill your Bundt pan more than 2/3 to 3/4 full or it could overflow. Better to discard a little bit of batter than to clean up overflow batter from the bottom of your oven.
Six-Banana Banana Chocolate Chip Cake
Six-Banana Banana Chocolate Chip Cake – Yes, 6 bananas in 1 cake means it’s super SOFT, moist, and has robust banana flavor with chocolate chips in EVERY bite!! EASY, no mixer, one bowl! Now you know what to do with all your ripe bananas!!
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter (half of 1 stick), melted
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 cup sour cream or Greek yogurt (I use 0% fat Greek yogurt)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract, or to taste
- 6 medium/large very ripe bananas, mashed (2 1/2 cups mashed bananas; if your bananas are huge you may only need 4 or 5; if they’re small, you may need more)
- one 3.4-ounce box vanilla instant pudding mix (I use regular and have not tested with sugar free)
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
- confectioners’ sugar or vanilla/cream cheese frosting, optional for serving if desired
- Preheat oven to 350F. Spray a 12-cup Bundt pan very well with floured cooking spray, or grease and flour the pan; set aside.
- To a large microwave-safe bowl, add the butter, and heat on high power to melt, about 1 minute. Allow the butter to cool momentarily so you don’t scramble the eggs.
- Add the eggs, sugars, sour cream or Greek yogurt, vanilla, and whisk or beat with a handheld electric mixer to combine.
- Add the bananas and stir or beat to incorporate.
- Add the pudding mix (just add it dry like a dry ingredient; don’t actually make pudding), flour, baking soda, salt, and fold in with spatula or stir gently with a spoon; don’t overmix.
- Add the chocolate chips and stir to combine.
- Turn batter out into prepared Bundt pan (and possibly about 3/4 cup batter into a 5×3-inch loaf pan depending on exact size of Bundt pan; do not fill Bundt pan more than 2/3 to 3/4 full) and bake for about 50 to 55 minutes (and bake mini loaf pan for about 35 to 39 minutes in my oven), or until the top is domed, golden, and the center is set, and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, or with a few moist crumbs, but no batter. In the final 10 to 15 minutes of cooking, or at any point if your cake is getting a bit dark before the center is setting, tent with foil. Allow cake to cool in pan for about 15 minutes before turning out on a wire rack or cake stand to cool completely before slicing and serving. Optionally add confectioners’ sugar or frosting, if desired. Cake will keep airtight at room temp for up to 1 week or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Adapted from Six-Banana Banana Bread
All images and content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or simply link back to this post for the recipe. Thank you.
Six-Banana Banana Bread – Yes, 6 bananas in 1 loaf means it’s super soft, moist & robust banana flavor! Now you know what to do with all your ripe bananas!
Upside-Down Banana Bread Cake – Don’t settle for making another loaf of plain banana bread when you can have caramelized banana slices on top of soft banana cake! A decadent spin on banana bread!
Caramelized Banana Upside-Down Cake – Have ripe bananas? This cake has their name all over it! Dripping with rich, buttery, caramel sauce!
Cream Cheese-Filled Banana Bread – Banana bread that’s like having cheesecake baked in! Soft, fluffy, easy and tastes ahhhh-mazing!
Fudgy Banana Bars with Vanilla Bean Browned Butter Glaze – The banana equivalent of moist, fudgy brownies! Best use ever of ripe bananas!
Banana Bread Bars with Vanilla Bean Browned Butter Glaze – Banana bread in bar form with a glaze that soaks in and is just so.darn.good!