Snickerdoodle Poke Cake
Snickerdoodle Poke Cake – If you like snickerdoodle cookies, you’ll love the flavor of this snickerdoodle cake with the PERFECT amount of cinnamon!! Fast, so EASY, moist, and a great MAKE-AHEAD cake for parties!!
How To Make Snickerdoodle Poke Cake
This cake is so easy, and although it needs a few hours to chill, the amount of active hands on time is literally five minutes, which in my book means this cake is a fast one to make.
And it’s convenient. If you want to make an amazing 100% from-scratch snickerdoodle cake, make this Snickerdoodle Bundt Cake. It’s a reader favorite and amazing.
This cake, however, starts with a box of yellow cake mix that you doctor up with Greek yogurt, ample cinnamon, and vanilla extract. After baking and cooling briefly, poke holes all over the cake using the blunt end of a wooden spatula.
Then pour a can of sweetened condensed milk over the cake, allowing it to seep into the holes.
Top the cake with a container of whipped topping, aka Cool Whip, and allow the cake to set up in the fridge for a few hours.
How Does The Snickerdoodle Poke Cake Taste?
I was surprised by how much snickerdoodle flavor this cake has.
The Greek yogurt gives the cake the slightest bit of tang for an authentic snickerdoodle flavor profile. You can substitute sour cream for Greek yogurt. I don’t recommend fat free products because they won’t leave you with as moist of a cake.
And like all poke cakes, this one is moist and succulent thanks to the sweetened condensed that seeps into all the nooks and crannies of the cake.
It doesn’t read overly sweet though. Yes it’s sweet but not cloyingly sweet.
The whipped topping is perfect here because it’s light, airy, and not too sweet.
I was tempted to use a cream cheese frosting and while you could, in my opinion it will cause the cake to become overly rich and heavy tasting, whereas with the whipped topping, it doesn’t.
I gave away most of this cake to my daughter’s school in the interest of waist management (mine) and it got rave reviews. If only they knew how ridiculously easy it was to whip up.
Perfect Make-Ahead Cake
If you’re hosting a party or event and want to knock out the dessert a day or two in advance, this is the perfect make-ahead cake.
It keeps beautifully in the fridge, staying moist without becoming soggy, and your guests will be none the wiser that you made it a day or two beforehand.
I recommend not garnishing with cinnamon until just before service. The whipped topping will stay looking ‘fresher’ if you sprinkle the cinnamon on right at the time of service. Plus it adds a wow factor to sprinkle away with cinnamon in a dramatic fashion in front of your guests. Putting the finishing touch on your ‘masterpiece’ and all.
- one 15.25-ounce box yellow cake mix
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup water
- 1/3 cup vegetable or canola oil
- 1/4 cup Greek yogurt (I used 2% Greek yogurt, sour cream may be substituted)
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon, plus more for garnishing
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- one 14-ounce can sweetened condensed milk
- one 8-ounce container whipped topping, thawed (I used lite)
- Preheat oven to 350F, line a pan with foil for easier cleanup, spray with cooking spray; set aside.
- To a large bowl, add the cake mix, eggs, water, oil, Greek yogurt, cinnamon, vanilla, and beat with a handheld electric mixer on high power for about 4 minutes, or until blended; stop and scrape down the sides of the bowl as necessary.
- Turn batter out into prepared pan and bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until cake is set, and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean or with a few moist crumbs. Allow cake to cool in the pan for about 30 minutes.
- Using the blunt end of a wooden spoon, evenly poke holes over the surface of the cake, poking nearly all the way to the bottom of the cake. I did not count, but I poked the cake in about 50 places.
- Slowly and evenly drizzle the sweetened condensed milk over the surface of the cake, allowing it to seep into the holes.
- Evenly spread the whipped topping over the surface of the cake, cover, and refrigerate until chilled, about 3 hours.
- Evenly sprinkle with cinnamon to garnish the cake before serving. Cake will keep airtight in the fridge for 5 to 7 days.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 305Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 49mgSodium: 290mgCarbohydrates: 49gFiber: 1gSugar: 36gProtein: 6g
Related Recipes and Poke Cakes
Snickerdoodle Cake— The interior of this addicting snickerdoodle cake is soft, buttery, dense, and has an almost pound cake-like texture. The cinnamon-sugar filling is my favorite part!
Snickerdoodle Mini Muffins – Bite size muffins that are coated in cinnamon-sugar that will remind you of snickerdoodle cookies, but in adorable mini muffin form!! Soft, tender, an EASY recipe that’s ready in 30 minutes, and so IRRESISTIBLE!!
The BEST Snickerdoodles Recipe — Soft, pillowy puffs that are so irresistible! The closest recipe to Mrs. Fields snickerdoodles that you’ll find!
Chai Snickerdoodle Cookies — The soft, buttery dough soaks up the warming notes of the chai spices beautifully!
Butterscotch Toffee Poke Cake – Butterscotch sundae topping isn’t just for ice cream – it makes AWESOME poke cakes!! Along with the irresistibly crunchy toffee bits, this is a perfect fast and EASY cake everyone will love!!
Honey Bun Poke Cake – Tastes like a Honey Bun in cake form!! Sweet, rich, decadent, and reminds me of the Honey Buns I used to eat as a kid! Fast and EASY!!
Caramel Cream Poke Cake – A creamy caramel mixture soaks into soft yellow cake before being topped with whipped cream and more CARAMEL!! An easy cake that’s a guaranteed WINNER especially with caramel lovers!!
Sweet Cream Vanilla Coffee Cake – You’ll never guess what special ingredient keeps this fast & easy cake so soft and moist!
The Best Tres Leches Cake – Soft, tender, and soaked with three milks! It just melts in your mouth and it’s the BEST tres leches cake ever!! You need to try this AMAZING cake!!
Coconut Caramel Poke Cake – An incredibly EASY super moist cake thanks to a creamy caramel mixture that’s poked into the cake!! Topped with crispy toasted coconut, this cake is a DELISH winner!!