Soft and Chewy M&M Chocolate Chip Cookies
This post may contain affiliate links.
Soft and Chewy Chocolate Chip M&M’s Cookies — If you’re looking for a new M&M’s cookie recipe, this is THE ONE! Soft, buttery, and irresistible M&M’s Christmas cookies!
M&M’s Christmas Cookies Recipe
Who can resist big M&M’s and chocolate chips staring back at you? I sure can’t. The cookies are very soft, slightly chewy, buttery, and loaded with M&M’s and plenty of chocolate chips for an extra chocolate boost.
If you’re looking for a new favorite M&M’s cookie recipe, you’re going to love this one.
If you don’t have access to or want to use pudding mix, make the former. The former recipe uses cornstarch to keep the cookies softbatch-style soft, while the later incorporates pudding mix into the dough.
These homemade M&M’s cookies also use pudding mix because it adds a subtle yet wonderful depth of flavor and the texture of the dough is just wonderful to work with. And once you taste how perfectly soft and tender these cookies are, you’ll be glad you used it. If you don’t have pudding mix in your area, make one of the M&M’s cookie recipes that doesn’t use it.
For these cookies, I combined elements of Soft M&M’s Chocolate Chip Cookies with Pretzel Chocolate Chip Cookies to create one dozen cookies, exactly. Each cookie is pretty large, but if you need more than a dozen, double or triple the recipe.
They’re perfect holiday party cookies because they’re easy, festive, and just so good. They’ll disappear just as fast as Santa does.
What’s in Chocolate Chip M&M’s Cookies?
To make this chocolate chip M&M’s cookie recipe, you’ll need:
- Unsalted butter
- Brown sugar
- Granulated sugar
- Vanilla extract
- All-purpose flour
- Instant vanilla pudding mix
- Baking soda
- Semi-sweet chocolate chips
How to Make Chocolate Chip M&M’s Cookies
Cream together the butter, sugars, egg, and vanilla. Then, add the dry ingredients. Gently fold in the M&M’s and chocolate chips last.
Form the dough into 12 equal-sized mounds, cover with plastic wrap, and chill for at least 3 hours.
Once the dough has chilled, bake until the edges have set and the tops are just set, even if slightly undercooked, pale, and glossy in the center. Let the cookies cool for 10 minutes before eating.
Should I Make the Pudding Mix First?
No! Add the pudding mix to the cookie dough like a dry ingredient, do NOT prepare it according to package instructions.
How to Store These Cookies
These chocolate chip M&M’s cookies will keep airtight at room temperature for up to 1 week or in the freezer for up to 6 months.
Alternatively, unbaked cookie dough can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days, or in the freezer for up to 4 months, so consider baking only as many cookies as desired and save the remaining dough to be baked in the future when desired.
Tips for Making M&M’s Christmas Cookies
You want to use instant vanilla pudding mix for this homemade M&M’s cookies recipe, not cook and serve.
Likewise, I recommend using regular pudding mix and not sugar-free.
I prefer using a mixture of dark and light brown sugar in these cookies. The dark brown sugar in particular adds lots of flavor!
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened (1 stick)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed (I used 1/4 cup of light and 1/4 cup dark)
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 3/4 cup M&M's, plus more for adding to dough mounds
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips, plus more for adding to dough mounds
- To the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment (or large mixing bowl and electric mixer) combine the butter, sugars (highly recommend using some dark brown sugar), egg, vanilla, and beat on medium-high speed until creamed and well combined, about 4 minutes.
- Stop, scrape down the sides of the bowl, and add the flour, pudding mix (just add it dry as if it’s a dry ingredient, do not actually make pudding), baking soda, salt, and beat on low speed until just combined, about 1 minute.
- Add the M&M's, chocolate chips, and beat on low speed until just combined, about 30 seconds.
- Using a large cookie scoop, 1/4-cup measure, or your hands, form 12 equal-sized mounds of dough, roll into balls, and flatten slightly. Tip – Strategically place a few M&M's and chocolate chips on top of each mound of dough by taking M&M's and chips from the underside as well as adding more as necessary for a nice pop of color.
- Preheat oven to 350F, line a baking sheet with a Silpat or spray with cooking spray. Place dough mounds on baking sheet, spaced at least 2 inches apart (I bake 8 cookies per sheet).
- Bake for about 10 to 11 minutes, or until edges have set and tops are just set, even if slightly undercooked, pale, and glossy in the center; don’t overbake. Cookies firm up as they cool.
- Allow cookies to cool on baking sheet for about 10 minutes before serving. I let them cool on the baking sheet and don’t use a rack.
Storage: Cookies will keep airtight at room temperature for up to 1 week or in the freezer for up to 6 months. Alternatively, unbaked cookie dough can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days, or in the freezer for up to 4 months, so consider baking only as many cookies as desired and save the remaining dough to be baked in the future when desired.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 479Total Fat: 25gSaturated Fat: 13gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 38mgSodium: 290mgCarbohydrates: 60gFiber: 2gSugar: 28gProtein: 4g
More Easy Christmas Cookie Recipes:
25 Holiday Cookie Favorites — The tried-and-true favorites are all here! If you need a holiday cookie recipe, this collection has you covered!!
Softbatch No-Roll Holiday Sprinkles Cookies — These tender, buttery holiday cookies use a no-roll dough with the sprinkles baked right in so you don’t even have to decorate them!
Peppermint Patty Chocolate Cookies — Very chocolaty, ultra FUDGY, and loaded with chocolate chips and peppermint patties!! If you love mint + chocolate, you’ll adore these easy, soft, and decadent chocolate bombs!!
Soft and Chewy Seven Layer Magic Bar Cookies — These 7 layer cookies are loaded with graham crackers, coconut, butterscotch chips, and chocolate chips. Chewy around the edges, but soft in the center!
Hot Chocolate Cookies — These gooey hot chocolate cookies are complete with big gooey marshmallows and chunks of melted dark chocolate. This is the perfect holiday and winter time cookie recipe!
Chocolate Kiss Powder Puff Cookies — These chocolate Kiss cookies are like a cheater’s version of Russian teacakes. But enhanced with a chocolate Kiss. And you only need 3 ingredients to make them!
The Best Soft and Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies — One of my absolute favorite recipes for chocolate chip cookies thanks to a special ingredient! Just one bite and I think you’ll agree!!
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.