Spiced Toffee Cake with Brown Sugar Frosting — Looking for recipes using spice cake mix? Make this spiced toffee cake! It’s an EASY, soft, and fluffy spice cake with toffee bits inside and on top!! The frosting is AMAZING and takes this cake over the top!!
Easiest Toffee Cake Recipe
This toffee cake is like putting on a soothing warm blanket. This time of year I’ll happily take my blankets in the form of cake. Well, anytime of year actually.
It’s an easy cake that’s perfect for parties, events, or just because your sweet tooth is calling your name. It reminds me of a brown sugar pound cake but I find pound cakes in general too dense and usually dry. This one is neither.
The frosting is where it’s at. But isn’t that true of almost all cakes? Have a little cake with my frosting is the way I am.
Depending on how much salt you choose to add, it’s almost like salted caramel sauce. You’ll want to eat it by the spoonful, I promise.
To help dispose of everything from cake crumbs, frosting remnants, stray toffee bits, and the plate scrapings from holiday entertaining and various parties, I used my new Moen garbage disposal. Moen now offers seven different disposal models ranging from 1/3 horsepower to 1 HP.
The compact design is lightweight for easier installation and frees up valuable under sink space. The vortex permanent magnet motor helps to finely grind particles to help reduce jamming.
Moen SoundSHIELD technology is designed to deaden the sound levels of the powerful disposal motor at work. Moen disposals feature Moen’s limited warranty with in-home service that guarantees help is there when you need.
What’s in the Spiced Toffee Cake?
Even though this is a spice cake mix recipe, the final toffee cake tastes totally homemade! Here’s what you’ll need to make it:
- Boxed spice cake mix
- Canola oil
- Toffee bits
- Sweetened condensed milk
- Light brown sugar
- Unsalted butter
- Vanilla extract
How to Make Spiced Toffee Cake
This is the best recipe to make if you’re wondering “what can I add to a spice cake mix ?” The answer is toffee bits!
It’s a super easy recipe using spice cake mix. Whisk together the cake batter like you normally would, making sure to gently fold in the toffee bits.
Once the cake has been baked, let it cool while you make the homemade spice cake frosting.
It’s a boiled frosting that starts with brown sugar and sweetened condensed milk and as the frosting simmers it takes on wonderful caramel notes.
Make sure to whisk and scrape the frosting in the saucepan nearly continuously as it’s boiling because you don’t want it to scorch.
Can This Cake Be Made in Advance?
Yes! You actually have to make the toffee cake in advance since it needs 2 hours (at least) to properly set up.
Can I Make a Homemade Spice Cake?
Of course! I made this recipe using spice cake mix, but if you have a go-to spice cake recipe you love to make, then just use that.
Tips for Making Toffee Cake
Follow the instructions listed below in the recipe card, not the ones on the side of the cake mix box.
If you can’t find toffee bits in your area, you can chop up a chocolate toffee bar and use that instead. Or, make your own toffee and chop it up finely.
This cake is best day-of, but it’ll last up to 5 days on your counter.
Pin This Recipe
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line a 9×13-inch baking pan with aluminum foil for easier cleanup and spray with cooking spray; set aside.
- To a large bowl, add the cake mix, eggs, water, oil, and mix up the cake batter according to package directions.
- Stir in 1/2 cup toffee bits.
- Turn batter out into prepared pan and bake for about 25 to 29 minutes, or until done. Allow cake to cool in pan on a wire rack while you make the frosting.
- To a large saucepan with high sides, add the sweetened condensed milk, brown sugar, and bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Reduce the heat to low and allow mixture to simmer for about 5 minutes, or until thickened. You’ll notice at about the 4 to 5 minute mark it starts thickening quite a bit and that’s when you know it’s ready. During the 5 minutes, it’s very important to whisk nearly continuously and also scrape the bottom of the pan with a spatula very frequently because you don’t want the mixture to stick to the bottom and scorching which it’s prone to doing.
- Remove saucepan from the heat, add the butter, vanilla, optional salt to taste (adding about 1/2 teaspoon will give you more of a salted caramel flavor), and stir to combine.
- Evenly pour frosting over cake.
- Evenly sprinkle the remaining 1/2 cup toffee bits.
- Allow frosting to set up for about 2 hours, or until slightly hardened, before slicing and serving.
Storage: Cake will keep airtight at room temp for up to 5 days.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 362Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 78mgSodium: 188mgCarbohydrates: 50gFiber: 0gSugar: 45gProtein: 5g
More Toffee Desserts:
Toffee Bars — An ultra butttery base made with almond extract and topped with chocolate and toffee bits! An easy dessert that’s ready in 15 minutes but tastes like you slaved over it!
Pumpkin Caramel Poke Cake — Easy and the best pumpkin cake ever! Two kinds of caramel sauce, toffee bits, chocolate chips, whipped topping and more!
Toffee Butterscotch Cake — Butterscotch sundae topping isn’t just for ice cream – it makes AWESOME poke cakes!! Along with the irresistibly crunchy toffee bits, this is a perfect fast and EASY cake everyone will love!!
Graham Cracker Toffee Bars— If you’re looking for a recipe that will disappear at holiday parties, cookie exchanges, neighborhood potlucks, or school bake sales, this graham cracker toffee is a guaranteed winner!!
Melt in Your Mouth Homemade Toffee — Irresistible, buttery, ADDICTIVE, and just melts in your mouth!! EASY and perfect for holiday parties, gift-giving, or cookie exchanges!!
Toffee Bit Cookies — The toffee bits add so much crunchy texture to the otherwise buttery soft and tender dough. The toffee is slightly salty, playing up the salty-and-sweet aspect.
Chocolate Gingerbread Cake — An EASY, no mixer cake that’s perfect for the holidays!! Chocolate and ginger are amazing together! The GINGER spiced whipped cream is the literal icing on this cake!!