Tomato, Beans and Greens Soup — Trying to eat healthier? You’re going to love this EASY, hearty, HEALTHY soup that’s ready in 30 minutes and full of flavor and texture from the veggies!!
Easy Tomato and Bean Soup Recipe
I eat tomatoes every day of the year. Any form, any season, I am a tomato lover. Anyone who goes out to dinner with me knows I always order a side of tomatoes.
Since this soup has fire-roasted tomatoes, it’s right up my alley. They flavor the broth beautifully.
The beans and greens soup is easy, ready in under 30 minutes, healthy, accidentally vegan, and gluten-free. It’s a very flavorful plant-based soup that still feels hearty and comforting but isn’t heavy. Try it for a Meatless Monday meal. The steam kept steaming up my camera lens.
There are sweet Vidalia onions, garlic, thyme, and oregano for flavor. Beans add protein while tomatoes, zucchini, and kale add texture. I definitely appreciate texture in soup and something to ‘chew’ keeps it interesting. Plus all those veggies and beans keep you full for awhile.
My (almost) 10-year-old daughter said the soup is one of the best savory things I’ve made ever, or at least in ages. She proceeded to run around the house like a wild banshee after she ate it proclaiming she was ‘full of energy from all the kale and veggies’. Better than a sugar high.
What’s in Beans and Greens Soup?
To make this tomato, kale and bean soup, you’ll need:
- Olive oil
- Yellow onion
- Vegetable broth
- Fire roasted tomatoes
- Cannellini beans
- Dried thyme and oregano
- Lemon juice (or apple cider vinegar)
- Granulated sugar (optional)
How to Make Beans and Greens Soup
Simply saute the onion until softened, then add the garlic and cook just until fragrant. Add the broth, tomatoes, beans, and spices to the pot. Simmer for about 5 minutes.
Then, add the fresh veggies, lemon juice or vinegar, and the optional sugar (it doesn’t sweeten the soup, it just balances out the acidic tomatoes). Boil the soup for another 5 minutes, then taste and adjust seasonings as you see fit.
Can I Use Different Veggies?
Of course! This vegetarian kale soup recipe is a great jumping off point for whatever veggies you have in the fridge. You can also replace the kale with fresh spinach or another leafy green, you can add finely diced carrots or celery, and so on.
Tips for Making Kale and Bean Soup
I prefer adding the zucchini to the beans and greens soup in the last few minutes of cooking so that they stay crisp-tender. If you prefer your zucchini more tender, add it earlier in the cooking process.
If you don’t have individual jars of dried oregano and thyme on hand, try substituting Italian seasoning. It will alter the flavor somewhat, but it should work just as well.
I highly recommend using fire roasted tomatoes in this tomato bean soup. Regular canned tomatoes won’t give you the same depth of flavor.
Pin This Recipe
- 2 to 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium sweet Vidalia or yellow onion, peeled and diced small
- 3 garlic cloves, pressed or finely minced
- 6 cups (48 ounces) reduced sodium vegetable broth
- two 14.5-ounce cans fire roasted tomatoes, with juice
- two 14.5-ounce cans cannellini beans (navy or garbanzo beans may be substituted; or mix and match), drained and rinsed
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- leaves from 4 large stalks of kale, torn into bite-sized pieces (discard the center thick rib)
- 1 medium zucchini, diced into bite-sized pieces
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice or apple cider vinegar, optional (brightens up the flavor)
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar, optional and to taste (balances the acidity from the tomatoes)
- To a large Dutch oven or stockpot, add the oil, onion, and sauté over medium-high heat for about 7 minutes, or until onion begins to soften; stir intermittently.
- Add the garlic, stir to combine, and sauté for 1 minute, or until fragrant.
- Add the broth, fire roasted tomatoes with juice, beans, salt, pepper, thyme, oregano, bring to a boil, and allow it to boil for about 5 minutes.
- Add the kale, zucchini, optional lemon juice or vinegar, optional sugar, and boil about 5 minutes, or until kale has wilted and zucchini has softened. (Note – When added now, the zucchini stays crisp-tender; if you prefer it softer/mushier add it in step 3.)
- Taste soup and add additional salt, pepper, or herbs, to taste. Amount of salt will vary based on how salty the brand of broth, tomatoes, beans, etc. are. I added about 2 teaspoons.
- Serve immediately.
Liquid level: At any time while making the soup, if the overall liquid level is lower than you like and you prefer more broth, adding a cup or two of broth or water is okay because at the end you will adjust the salt level.
Storage: Soup will keep airtight in the fridge for 5 to 7 days or in the freezer for up to 6 months.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 241Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 1376mgCarbohydrates: 35gFiber: 8gSugar: 11gProtein: 10g
More Easy Soup Recipes:
15 Best Fast and Easy Soup Recipes – Warm up with these easy soup recipes! Most are ready in under 30 minutes and perfect for busy weeknights! Hearty, comforting, and so good!
Easy 30-Minute Kale, White Bean, and Chicken Soup – Loaded with juicy chicken, healthy kale, and tender beans! Easy, hearty, and satisfying! Love it when something healthy tastes so good!
Weight Loss Vegetable Soup – Trying to shed some pounds or get healthier? Try this easy, flavorful soup that’s ready in 30 minutes and loaded with veggies! Very filling and hearty! Zero WW points!
Easy 30-Minute Minestrone Soup (Better-Than-Olive-Garden-Copycat) – Homemade is always better and this soup is amazing! The best minestrone ever! Perfect for busy weeknights and it’s healthy!
Easy 30-Minute Chicken Vegetable Soup – Extra veggies instead of noodles in this healthy, easy chicken soup that’s so fast to make! Hearty, filling, and satisfying! Perfect for weeknight dinners and chilly nights!
The Best Broccoli Cheese Soup (Better-Than-Panera Copycat) – Make the best soup of your life at home in 1 hour! Beyond words amazing! One of the most popular recipes on my blog and gets RAVE reviews!
Easy 30-Minute Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup – Classic, comforting, and tastes just like grandma made but way easier and faster! This soup is AMAZING and it’ll be your new favorite recipe!
Easy 30-Minute Homemade White Chicken Chili – Hearty, healthy, loaded with tender chicken, and packed with bold flavor! Fast and easy comfort food that everyone loves! It’ll be on rotation all winter!
Easy 30-Minute Homemade Chicken Tortilla Soup – Chicken, tomatoes, corn, black beans, avocado, cheese, and addictively crunchy tortilla strips! Fast, easy weeknight meal, and better than from a restaurant!