Weight Loss Vegetable Soup
This post may contain affiliate links.
Weight Loss Vegetable Soup — Trying to shed some pounds or get healthier? Try this easy, flavorful soup that’s ready in 30 minutes and loaded with veggies!! Very filling and hearty! Zero WW Smart Points!!
Healthy Vegetable Soup Recipe
How are those New Year’s resolutions going? This low-calorie soup will help anyone who’s fallen off the wagon, or who never got on the wagon, get back on.
It may not be a magic bullet for weight loss, but it’s a good start. I’m not trying to lose weight but I use this vegetable soup as a way to incorporate many of the ingredients I’d put on a salad into soup form.
I appreciate warm soups much more than cold salads during the winter. The soup was so hot it kept steaming up my camera lens.
I love how healthy I feel with this filling, satisfying veggie soup that’s easy and ready in about 30 minutes. It’s naturally vegan and gluten-free. There’s texture and flavor galore. My daughter and I could eat it every day and not tire of it.
It’s loaded with healthy, hearty vegetables and is naturally low in calories and sodium while being high in fiber and nutrients. If you follow Weight Watchers (which I have never done and don’t know much about) it’s a Zero Smart Points soup. A total freebie. I don’t know the exact nutritional breakdown, but there are online calculators you can use to plug in the recipe data if you’re interested.
What’s in Vegetable Soup?
To make this weight loss soup recipe, you’ll need:
- Olive oil
- Vidalia onion
- Green cabbage
- Bell peppers
- Green beans
- Vegetable broth
- Diced tomatoes
- Herbs and spices
- Salt and pepper
- Lemon juice
How to Make Vegetable Soup
Sauté the celery and onion in an oiled stockpot until softened. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant.
Add in the cabbage, peppers, carrots, green beans, and mushrooms, and sauté until the vegetables begin to soften. Next, add in the vegetable broth, diced tomatoes, herbs, and spices.
Add in the broccoli, zucchini, and lemon juice last and cook just until they’re crisp-tender. Then, dish up the veggie soup and enjoy.
Here’s a video showing how to make vegetable soup:
Can I Freeze Vegetable Soup?
Yes, this low-calorie vegetable soup can be frozen for up to 6 months.
Can I Make This in a CrockPot?
If you made this healthy vegetable soup recipe in the CrockPot, I fear that everything would turn into a mushy mess. If timing is an issue for you, I would wait to make this on the stove when you have time and then reheat for dinner or lunch by the bowlful throughout the week.
Tips for Making the Best Vegetable Soup
If you want to bump up the protein, adding edamame or a can of beans such as garbanzo, cannellini, or kidney is great, noting it won’t be zero points at that point, but still extremely healthy, low-cal, and low-fat.
This vegetable soup recipe is a great soup to clean out your produce drawer with. Mix and match with the veggies and herbs you have on hand and enjoy.
The ingredient list is on the longer side, but if you don’t have something, don’t like something, or want to use something else instead, go for it.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups sweet Vidalia or yellow onion, peeled and diced small (about 1 large onion)
- 1 cup celery, diced small (about 2 stalks)
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and finely minced
- 4 cups green cabbage, sliced into thin ribbons (about 1/4 to 1/2 head depending on size)
- 1 medium/large red bell pepper, seeded, trimmed, and diced small
- 1 medium/large yellow or orange bell pepper, seeded, trimmed, and diced small
- 1 cup carrots, peeled, trimmed, and sliced thin (about 1 1/2 large carrots)
- 1 cup green beans, trimmed into 1-inch pieces (I prefer fresh but frozen may be substituted)
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms (baby portobello, white, or your favorite)
- 64 ounces (8 cups) low-sodium vegetable broth
- one 15-ounce can petite-diced tomatoes (I use low-sodium)
- 1 1/2 cups edamame or one 15-ounce cans garbanzo, cannellini, or kidney beans, drained and rinsed; optional (I use low-sodium beans)
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- pinch cayenne pepper, optional and to taste
- 2 to 3 teaspoons salt, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon black pepper, or to taste
- 3 cups broccoli florets
- 2 cups zucchini, diced small (about 1 1/2 large zucchini)
- 1 to 2 tablespoons lemon juice, optional (brightens up the flavor)
- To a large Dutch oven or stockpot, add the oil, onion, celery, and sauté over medium-high heat for about 7 minutes, or until vegetables begin to soften. Stir intermittently.
- Add the garlic and sauté for another 1 to 2 minutes. Stir intermittently.
- Add the cabbage, peppers, carrots, green beans, mushrooms, and sauté for another 5 minutes, or until vegetables begin to soften. Stir intermittently.
- Add the vegetable broth, diced tomatoes, optional beans or edamame, bay leaves, cumin, oregano, thyme, rosemary, optional cayenne, salt, pepper, and bring to a boil. Allow mixture to boil gently for about 5 minutes.
- Add the broccoli, zucchini, optional lemon juice, and boil 3 to 5 minutes, or until broccoli and zucchini are crisp-tender. Remove bay leaves.
- Taste soup and add additional salt, pepper, or herbs, to taste. Amount of salt will vary based on how salty the brand of vegetable broth used is, how salty the canned tomatoes and optional beans are, and personal preference. At any time while making the soup, if the overall liquid level is lower than you like and you prefer more broth, adding a cup or two of water is okay, noting you can always adjust the salt and seasoning levels.
- Serve immediately.
- Soup will keep airtight in the fridge for 5 to 7 days or in the freezer for up to 6 months.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 367Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 5068mgCarbohydrates: 58gFiber: 14gSugar: 21gProtein: 18g
Nutrition information isn’t always accurate and is computer-generated. In this case, I believe all stats are a bit artificially elevated, especially the sodium. If you want to know more exact values, calculating manually using your exact brand of ingredients and quantities is my suggestion.
More Easy Soup Recipes:
15 Best Fast and Easy Soup Recipes — Warm up with these easy soup recipes!! Most are ready in under 30 minutes and perfect for busy weeknights! Hearty, comforting, and so good!!
The Best Broccoli Cheese Soup (Better-Than-Panera Copycat) – Make the best soup of your life at home in 1 hour! Beyond words amazing! One of the most popular recipes on my blog and gets RAVE reviews!
Easy 30-Minute Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup – Classic, comforting, and tastes just like grandma made but way easier and faster! This soup is AMAZING and it’ll be your new favorite recipe!
Easy 30-Minute Homemade Chicken Tortilla Soup – Chicken, tomatoes, corn, black beans, avocado, cheese, and addictively crunchy tortilla strips! Fast, easy weeknight meal, and better than from a restaurant!
Easy 30-Minute Homemade Chicken Tortellini Soup — A fun spin on classic chicken noodle soup using cheese tortellini! Fast, easy, comfort food that just hits the spot! You’ll make it over and over again!
Easy 30-Minute Homemade White Chicken Chili – Hearty, healthy, loaded with tender chicken, and packed with bold flavor! Fast and easy comfort food that everyone loves! It’ll be on rotation all winter!
Easy 30-Minute Minestrone Soup (Better-Than-Olive-Garden-Copycat) – Homemade is always better and this soup is amazing! The best minestrone ever! Perfect for busy weeknights and it’s healthy!
Loaded Cheesy Chicken Potato Chowder – Potatoes, chicken, carrots, corn and more! Thick, creamy, rich, and wonderfully cheesy! Fast and easy comfort food that everyone loves!
Loaded Cheesy, Bacon, Corn, and Potato Chowder — Loaded with all the good stuff! Bacon, cheese, and more! Hearty, comforting, fast, and easy! A dinnertime favorite that’s perfect for busy nights!
The Best 30-Minute Lasagna Soup – All the flavor of lasagna minus the work! Loaded with juicy tomatoes, sausage, and topped with melted cheese! Easy, hearty, comfort food that’s perfect for busy weeknights!
Creamy Tomato Soup (vegan, GF) – Panera copycat that’s fast, easy, and healthy!
Roasted Carrot and Red Pepper Peanut Soup (vegan, GF) – Thick, rich, and loaded with smoky flavors!
Creamy Vegan Corn and Red Pepper Blender Soup (gluten-free, soy-free, no added salt) – Ready in 5 minutes and packed with flavor!
Sweet Potato Red Pepper and Coconut Milk Soup (vegan, GF) – Ready in 10 minutes and so thick and satisfying!
Skinny Carrot Potato Soup with Honey Cream – Healthy, hearty, fast, and easy! Packed with flavor and you’ll never miss the fat and calories!
Recipe is not intended as medical advice nor will it guarantee weight loss. I am not a registered dietician and am simply sharing a recipe I enjoy. As always, use common sense.
Recipe originally published January 20, 2016 and republished January 15, 2020 with updated text.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.