Cookies in the Mail, Winter Workouts

Who likes to receive cookies in the mail?  I do.

I was fortunate to receive these Enjoy Life cookies

Enjoy Life Products are Free Of:

But not free of taste.  For baked goods that are vegan, GF, and free from many common allergies, I give Enjoy Life products their props.

Or, you can make your own Vegan + GF brownie-cookies

Raw Vegan Brownies

Or make Raw Vegan Chocolate Chocolate-Chip Cookies

Dehydrator optional and just use the oven

I can vouch 100% for the taste on the brownies and the cookies in case you don’t have access to specialty vegan + GF baked goods.

Yesterday I spent plenty of time with my newly minted 4 year old birthday girl!

It was a great birthday!  And we also celebrated here, too.

From my Superbowl Foods & Plans post, thanks for telling me what your plans are.  Seems it was an all or nothing relationship with football for you all.

I drooled over some of recipes you plan to make and what you can’t wait to dig into if someone else is doing the cooking.   I’m glad you liked my recipe ideas for the big game day even though I probably won’t be making food just for the game.

1. Are you looking forward to the weekend?

I am!  Even though I’m working, I always look forward to the extra time I have with Scott and Skylar.

2. Have you ever tried Enjoy Life Foods or any specialty allergen-free foods?

I am generally not impressed with most commercially prepared foods that are labeled as gluten free.  They are usually dry, tasteless, crumbly, and lack flavor.  However, the Enjoy Life products are much better than most.

I did a post on going Gluten Free and one thing I stress is try to find foods that are naturally gluten free.  It’s hard to create a loaf of GF French bread.  It’s just asking….a lot.  Throw in vegan, and it gets even harder.  Successfully replacing wheat gluten, eggs, and butter can be tricky.

Instead, you may need to realize that bread is nice, but so are potatoes, or rice.  They are naturally gluten free.

So is fruit, veggies, nuts, seeds, and many other plant-based foods that come straight from nature.

So rather than trying to create GF pasta noodles, I just make my own zucchini pasta with veggies and peanut sauce.

3. Have you been working out lately in spite of the winter weather?

I was posting for a couple weeks how gorgeous the weather was here.  Well, that’s done.

It’s still sunny, but it’s cold and windy!

Those trees are blowing from very gusty winds!

I was pushing Skylar in my jogging stroller and between her and the stroller (about 80 pounds I’m guessing) and the 35 mph head wind and the San Diego hills and terrain, I definitely got a workout in.  Good thing I only do 20 minutes of cardio.  Period.   That’s all I could take.

I love to walk or run for 20 minutes every day to clear my head and at all costs, do it outside, not indoors.  I cannot stand cardio equipment in the gym.  I die from boredom or injure myself.  Something about my gait and stride on a treadmill is a recipe for throwing my hips, legs, knees, and ankles out of whack for weeks!

Major props to all of you who stay can hang in there on the indoor cardio machines.  I realize it’s a necessity at times. These are the workouts I do at home.

What do you do to stay motivated for your winter workouts?

P.S. You may enjoy my Morning Workout Tips post for how to get your booty moving for the a.m. workouts.

56 Responses to “Cookies in the Mail, Winter Workouts”

Emily @ One Sweet Vegan — February 3, 2011 at 3:38 pm

Those zucchini noodles look amazing. I’m making another batch of your kale chips today. I made them a couple weeks ago and LOVED them! :-)

Kate (What Kate is Cooking) — February 3, 2011 at 3:59 pm

Those cookies look good- but yours look better :)

gypsy — February 3, 2011 at 4:16 pm

Hey I just discovered a new bar that I think is the absolute best EVER… they are called GoMacro and are gluten free GMO free, organic and vegan. they are absolutely perfect. I highly recommend!!!

those cookies look good but home made is always better!

I’ve been working out inside mostly… we’ve had some good weather here in central cali so i’ve done my cardio outside but I’ve gotten really into my pole dancing lately and my arm/back muscles are getting out of control. Do you have any advice on preventing growing bulky muscles?? I grow muscle so easily it’s insane, even being vegan!

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — February 3rd, 2011 at 4:47 pm

Go Macro bars are amazing! I have been eating them for a few years. I love them. They are pricey but worth it!

I love the sound of your workout!

Preventing mass…I am not an expert but I would say lift lighter, lift lower weights/higher reps, maybe take a lifting break for awhile and do more yoga and cardio, watch your food intake and things that you know for you personally help keep weight/mass/bulk on your frame and then watch those things in your diet.

Just my off the cuff thoughts, of course!

Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn — February 3, 2011 at 4:19 pm

I’ve never had packaged vegan or gf cookies, usually I just make my own but i’m glad to see that these pass the test! It’s sometimes not too hard to find vegan cookies, but good gf ones are scarce!

Yesss I have been loving working out! Even though I can’t go outdoors (booooo snow!), i’ve been loving the treadmill, ellipticals, and spinning:) I am a spinning MONSTA

Maryea @ Happy Healthy Mama — February 3, 2011 at 4:20 pm

I think your cookies look way better than the commercial ones-maybe you should go into business! :-)

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) — February 3, 2011 at 4:27 pm

My workouts are inside, but we have not been going on walks lately. It is nasty in Atlanta so outside has not been an option. I am looking forward to this weekend, but I am looking forward to hanging out with all of my boys and resting! I also love Enjoy Life Foods! They have great products! I do the product surveys for them when they are trying to develop new products. The kids think that is so much fun to taste test. Have a great evening Averie!

chrysta — February 3, 2011 at 4:36 pm

Cookies look awesome!! I’ll have to check those out! Sorry Ive been so out of the blogging loop until recently. So awesome to see you made the move to San Diego! Its gorgeous.

The one thing that really gets me movin in the morning is just thinking about how awesome I feel after. It sounds silly, but that thought get my butt out of bed fast!

Have a great day!

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — February 3rd, 2011 at 4:49 pm

Yeah girl we’ve been back for almost a year now! Phoenix was a 9 month experiment but this was and will always now be…home!

And welcome back! I had wondered what you had been up to…it’s awesome to hear from you again!! :)

• chrysta replied: — February 3rd, 2011 at 5:38 pm

Thanks!! so good to be back! I was off on some different adventures so Ive been away for a bit. I felt like I totally fell off the face of the earth! ha! I missed everyone though! Its so great to be catching up though! Ive been reading like crazy to get updated. I love your pictures too! Wow! you look fabulous!

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) — February 3, 2011 at 4:37 pm

Coooooooooooooooooookies!!!

What the hell is this crap? LOL

I need to get a spiralizer! I always love seeing spiral zucchini, it looks so awesome!

julie — February 3, 2011 at 4:44 pm

i’ve never had those cookies before! but they sound delicious

i’m excited for the weekend becasue it’s superbowl sundayyyyyy!!! except i have a serious amount of schoolwork to get crankin on so that will not be fun. but i also have a dinner party with the besties :)

Ally (oatsandspice) — February 3, 2011 at 4:49 pm

I want a dehydrator SOOO bad – where did you find yours? Any suggestions?

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — February 3rd, 2011 at 4:52 pm

Ironically I just linked this for another commenter

I do have a dehyd, it’s the 9 Tray Excalibur. Excalibur is to dehydrators what Vita Mix is to blenders. It’s the top of the line and if you are going to buy one, get that brand, it will last you decades.

That said, unless you *really* know you are going to use it, love it, and want one…i find a low oven at 200F with the door ajar works nearly as well for many applications.

Just trying to save you money before you drop $200-250 on a magic box. :)

Christin@purplebirdblog — February 3, 2011 at 4:52 pm

I love those snickerdoodle cookies… full of flavor and super moist!!

lauren @ spiced plate — February 3, 2011 at 4:58 pm

YES to enjoying foods that are naturally gluten free. My husband and I both are, and we live for gluten free oats, buckwheat, rice, millet, quinoa, etc. We make our own pancakes and cookies usually, but the enjoy life cookies are an amazing treat. Snickerdoodle is my absolute favorite. Your raw vegan brownies look so lovely!

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — February 3rd, 2011 at 5:25 pm

thank you for understanding what i mean about foods that are naturally GF..rather than trying to re-invent the gluten wheel, so to speak :)

Kristina @ spabettie — February 3, 2011 at 5:02 pm

Happy Birthday Skylar!! :D

Ali — February 3, 2011 at 5:12 pm

Hey Averie! I’m a bit new to your blog but love love hearing what you have to say. Your honesty and general ZEST for life is so inspiring!! I have to ask you-you talk a lot about 20 minute (cardio) workouts. Is that really all that you need in a day? I’m not overweight or unhealthy but I’ve always thought the recommendations were for more than that and I know I always do A LOT more. I am an endurance athlete so my training is a bit skewed, but nonetheless. Let me know your thoughts!
    Keep up the great work!

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — February 3rd, 2011 at 5:21 pm

I don’t have time (or desire) for more than that per day. So whatever is “recommended”, I take with a grain of salt. Who are “they” who are “recommending” it and why would they know better about what is going to work for me and my lifestyle than me. Always question what “they” say. Whoever they are :)

I think most women fall into the cardio trap. I am not in it anymore.

Go to my Popular Posts Tab
      Go to the Lifting/Working section mid-page.
      Read those half dozen posts. It explains my thoughts.

Allison @ Happy Tales — February 3, 2011 at 6:00 pm

I’m looking forward to conquering another one of my marathon training long-runs AND conquering my second biostatistics test. Not really big into football… but I’ll be watching the commercial breaks :)

btw, i just updated my blogroll and totally added you. I <3 reading your blog! So refreshing :)

Jess — February 3, 2011 at 6:13 pm

Those cookies look delicious!!

Happy belated birthday to your super cute little girl. 4 years old?! WOW–she’s growing so fast!!

bitt — February 3, 2011 at 6:14 pm

i do like those enjoy life cookies, especially the snickerdoodles. really good. and i usually am not a fan of boxed cookies. yes of course you can make your own but as you’ve said, sometimes you don’t want to turn on a hot oven!

lindsay — February 3, 2011 at 6:26 pm

can we come stay with you? I need warmth and sun! I’ll clean, you cook, deal?
    I love the Enjoy life brand, taste like REAL cookies. The gingersnap are tasty!

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine — February 3, 2011 at 6:35 pm

My weekend started yesterday! And I’m loving it up :)

I’ve only tried GF foods out of curiosity, and some are horrible, but others, like millet bread, are amazing. And of course most raw foods are vegan and allergen free, but taste great- like my favorite raw mint chocolate sundae. I’m glad it’s not a necessity for me, but it’s something I don’t mind branching into!

Working out outside? It’s 20 degrees and everything is coated in ice. That’s a death wish, haha.

Lisa — February 3, 2011 at 6:41 pm

I’ve never had those cookies..I’m sure I’d try them though! Actually, I’m sure I will now since I hear they’re pretty good. I have found a lot of that stuff to be dry and weird…

I can’t wait for the weekend! I have not been working out as much as I want to, and I feel like if I can catch up on work this weekend…my workout-week will be much better!
    The sun came out here today too…and it was a balmy 12 degrees :)

Naomi(onefitfoodie) — February 3, 2011 at 6:42 pm

UGHH the only reason I would stay away from your blog these days is becaus eyour pictures of the picturesque weather, blue skies…kills me!!! we are going to have snow on the ground until at least may! there is just so much of it!!! grrrr

I wish I was with you in sunny Cali for sure!!! I have never tried those cookies but they dont look half bad! (I would totally rather your homemade cookies and treats though!!!)

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey — February 3, 2011 at 6:44 pm

For some reason I thought Skylar was 5 or 6 – I can’t believe she’s only 4! Is she tall for her age? She looks it in the pictures!

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — February 3rd, 2011 at 7:46 pm

yes when i was telling people last week that she was 3. They flat out didnt believe me. Now, that she’s 4 it’s a bit better. But I am 5’10″- 5’11″ and so yes, she is super tall for her age. And has a huge vocab and spoken language skills…so in stores, ppl think she’s like…7. Not kidding :)

Helen — February 3, 2011 at 6:53 pm

Your recipes look so good! I have been reading/researching gluten free. I have wondered if it would help me with some of my bloat. I have that “never goes away pouch”, of course some major ab work may help…lol!

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — February 3rd, 2011 at 7:47 pm

yes read my post I linked about going GF and it will help you..just even trial it. It can’t hurt and you have nothing to lose!

Ela — February 3, 2011 at 6:56 pm

Happy birthday to your little grown-up–man, she is so beautiful and grown-up looking. Definitely not a toddler now.
    Your tips on going gf: so smart, so sensible. There are so many naturally gf things that taste great without having to mimic something else.

I blogged about my exciting new exercise equipment in this post: http://ulteriorharmony.blogspot.com/2011/01/starch-hurrahs-new-exercise-equipment.html Nice to have indoor options when there’s two feet of snow outside…

I hope your w/e will be wonderful. We’re going up to Anchorage again and I’m so tired of these epic trips…

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — February 3rd, 2011 at 7:48 pm

without trying to mimic. that’s the point…glad you got it. so many ppl try to recreate things that are too hard to attempt. it’s like trying to recreate a vegan turkey on thanksgiving. no. Just skip it! And make something else :)

Pure2raw twins — February 3, 2011 at 7:00 pm

We love the Enjoy Life chocolate chips!!! One of the few companies that make stuff soy free.

Yes I am looking forward to the weekend, it has been a long week!

Emmitt @ Review of Panic Away — February 3, 2011 at 7:39 pm

Those cookies look scrumptious – made me hungry. P.S. We’re having the same weather in Arizona – sunny but unbelievably cold and windy. But all in all, no complaints.

Mary @ Bites and Bliss — February 3, 2011 at 7:52 pm

I’ve yet to try EnjoyLife but they look delicious! And lucky you for getting cookies in the mail..that’s the best kind. ;)

Katie — February 3, 2011 at 8:08 pm

I want cookies.

I like the Enjoy Life Chocolate chips, and haven’t had the cookies. The bars are NASTY.

kate@ahealthypassion — February 3, 2011 at 8:27 pm

happy birthday to Skylar and enjoy those cookies!

Angie — February 3, 2011 at 9:44 pm

For some reason I love working out more in the winter, it warms me up when I”m always freezing cold here in Chicago! lol Which was your favorite of the three cookies?

Anne — February 3, 2011 at 10:36 pm

Omg, what’s IN those cookies, haha – they seem to be without EVERYthing… The trouble with allergy food is often that they contain a lot of additives to make them seem more like “normal” stuff – but once in a while it would be nice to be able to just pop something out of a package and eat it! :-)

Beautiful birthdaygirl – and have a nice w-e Averie!

sophia — February 4, 2011 at 12:16 am

It suddenly dropped abt 10 degrees here, didn’t it? The weather in this area just creeps up at you.

Hey dear Skylar! Happy birthday! And stop growing so fast, okay? You’ll soon be breaking too many boys’ heart. ;)

nysoonergirl — February 4, 2011 at 5:21 am

Enjoy Life cookies are the best! Their granola is pretty yummy too. I’ve had difficulty finding products (aside from theirs) that are GF, diary free and nut free. It seems when you take out gluten or dairy people seem to add nuts in.

I’ve been keeping my work outs indoors lately! Although, with the excessive snow and highs in the teens, can you really blame me?!

My motiviation for winter work outs are how quickly you warm up! If I get out of bed and hop straight in the shower, I freeze all day. But if I get my blood pumping early, it seems to last all day too.

Kat — February 4, 2011 at 6:42 am

I love your raw vegan brownie recipe! so good… but a pain to get out of the vita :/
    i just tried those enjoy life cookies – pretty tasty for a box! I like making treats in the kitch though and don’t buy stuff that often – I agree with you – naturally GF is the best way

Carrie (Moves 'N Munchies) — February 4, 2011 at 7:41 am

oo those cookies sound like a great buy!.. im shocked cookies could be free from so much!
    I have def been working out INDOORS.. I hate hate hate cold weather- cannot deal with it!

Beth — February 4, 2011 at 8:14 am

Those cookies sound good. Didn’t know that Sesame could be a problem though.

Glad you & Skylar spent her special day doing things together. That is so great :)

I’m looking forward to the weekend, and spending more time with my hubby.

I’ve tried the following Gluten-Free brands of food:
    Glutino Wafers, Chocolate Cream Cookies, and Breakfast Bars. (http://www.glutino.com/ca-en/our-products/snacks/) Their breakfast bars taste like cardboard and I won’t ever eat them again.
    Mary’s Crackers – Yum!
    Lara Bars – although not the newest flavours
    Gluten Free bread (flax or brown rice) baked fresh in a local health food store
    Gluten Free rice pasta, although I can’t remember the brand
    Gluten Free mini-cheesecake from farmer’s market

Been doing lots of snowshoeing because of the weather :)
    Stay motivated by going out in the afternoon when the sun is out & it is slightly warmer. Also bundle up in layers if it is colder than -15C or if there is a wind chill.

Christine (The Raw Project) — February 4, 2011 at 11:01 am

Yum, the cookies sound great. They can send me some too. :-) Great recipes too, the Raw Vegan Chocolate Chocolate-Chip Cookies look really good.

1. Yes, I have fun plans that aren’t centered around the game. I would like to make a huge kale chip batch for the game if we watch, we’ll see.
    2. Not yet, but they look good.
    3. Yes, but not running as much as I’d like to due to the rain and ickiness last weekend. Looks like this weekend should be nice. To stay motivated, I focus on taking care of myself and keeping my playlists updated.

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — February 5, 2011 at 8:14 am

I use workout videos, or go to the gym in the winter … there is no way I could workout out side – too cold!!!!!!

Krista — February 8, 2011 at 9:21 am

Skylar’s legs are getting so long. She’ll be tall like her Mom! :)

I like Enjoy Life Food products. My kids like them even more. Me thinks some of those very same cookies are heading my way….

As for working out; I’ve still been hitting the office gym at work. It’s just too darn cold here for my lungs to be outside.