Maca Benefits

Awhile back I received a Macasure bar from Sequel Naturals

4000 mg’s of Maca in this bar
What is it?
Benefits

Thanks, Sequel Naturals for the bar.  It was a nice piece of dark chocolate.  I didn’t really taste any maca per se. But I did have some extra energy and pep in my step after I ate it.  Not sure if that was just from the chocolate or from the maca + chocolate, but either way, I enjoyed my little energy burst.

I’m a fan of Sequel and Brendan Brazier.  My Book Post shows his Thrive books on the right hand side of my cookbook stash

And just the other day I posted about the Vega Smoothie Optimizers and you all chimed in about your thoughts on Smoothie “Helpers” and Vega products.

In the past, I’ve posted on Maca.  See This Post for lots of info, benefits and uses.

Here’s a quick bit of Maca info (source)

Male:

• Increases energy (Chronic Fatigue)
  • Treat sexual dysfunction (Loss of Libido)
  • Increases stamina & athletic performance
  • Nourishes glandular system
  • Fertility enhancement
  • Improves physical and emotional well being
  • Promotes mental clarity
  • Balance hormones

Female:

• Treat PMS (Mood Swings)
  • Menopause symptom relief (Hot Flashes)
  • Sexual stimulation
  • Nourishes glandular system
  • HRT alternative(Hormone Replacement Therapy)
  • Increases stamina & athletic performance
  • Increases energy (Chronic Fatigue)
  • Balance hormones

I love Maca Popcorn. Coconut Oil, Cinnamon, Nooch, and Maca

And chocolate chips for good measure

From my previous post on Cookies in the Mail and Winter Workout Motivation, I liked hearing what specialty cookies or products you’ve tried, i.e. vegan, GF, and also what you are doing to stay motivated with your winter workouts.

Snack/Dessert: Vegan GF Banana Nut Muffins

The gooey squishy inside of a muffin.  Note I did not say the M word (Moist…eek! hate!)

Questions
1. Have you ever tried maca?  Did you like it?
I know some people don’t like the taste of maca.  They feel it’s too earthy or malty or just not for them.  I happen to really like the taste of it and if I can derive some health benefits from it in the process, even better.

It’s one of those foods that I have tried because of the ‘sphere that I recently posted about.  Peanut flour also made that list.

2. If you’ve tried maca, did it “work” or did you notice any effects?

It’s one of those things that I can’t “feel” if it’s working or not.  I have never noticed a difference when I consume maca or not, but since I enjoy the taste, I consume it anyway.

I don’t buy it all the time because it is pricey and I don’t believe we have to consume “superfoods” in order to be healthy and balanced, but since I like the taste, I figure, what the heck. I figure it’s the type of thing that can’t hurt.

I know some women swear by it for hormone regulation and many people say they get extra energy from it.

3. What are you doing this weekend?

I am going to be spending time with the family, not watching the Superbowl or making Superbowl recipes, and will be working instead.

TGIF and Happy pre-Weekend!

61 Responses to “Maca Benefits”

VeggieGirl — February 4, 2011 at 3:31 am

Never tried maca before!

Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn — February 4, 2011 at 3:38 am

I LOVE maca! I have the Navitas Naturals raw maca, and I put it in my Cookie Dough Bowls every morning!

I definitely think I have seen “benefits”, I always have so much energy after having it:) The only downside is that it kind of tastes like the smell of cigarettes? Besides that, I love it! :)

Lisa — February 4, 2011 at 4:03 am

I like maca a lot, and I have had several clients use it (for many of the uses you mentioned). I’ve seen it work at all levels—nothing at all to a major mood/energy overhaul. One guy got “addicted” so when he forgot for a day, he crashed emotionally (he stopped taking it). I read that different brands/types (red, black, etc) work differently for different people…so maybe you just haven’t found your “type” yet?
    Sometimes it peps me up and makes me feel like I can focus and work (or workout) all day/night! It also significantly raises my body temp…so I end up sitting at my desk in shorts and a tank top. I love that stuff!
    I like the maca sure brand, and I’ve also gotten it from navitas and sunfood. In a coffee/sunwarrior smoothie is how I like it best :)
    But the chocolates are pretty good too…

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) — February 4, 2011 at 4:35 am

I have only had Maca in products, like bars or protein powders. I liked what I had, but I don’t know that I had a huge burst of energy from it.

Steph! — February 4, 2011 at 4:46 am

I love maca. I use it in my green smoothie everyday. I do get quite a pick-me-up from the smoothie, almost better than coffee! Occasionally I’ll throw it into some chia pudding too

lauren @ spiced plate — February 4, 2011 at 5:05 am

I’ve never had maca in anything…but now I’m interested in trying it — thanks for the informational post!

Sabina — February 4, 2011 at 5:24 am

Good morning, Averie!

We have maca powder at home and I haven’t been too adventurous with it, only using the smallest amount in smoothies. Both of us aren’t too thrilled with its taste and find that it overpowers if using anything more than a 1/2 teaspoon or so. I haven’t noticed any energy difference.

Do you have any recommendations? Perhaps, “suck it up, buttercup!” ? *wink* :-)

I’m excited about our weekend:

- spend it all with my dear husband!
    - saturday morning gym visit
    - time for new running shoes (and I think I’ll get them on sale; bonus!)
    - visit friends who were away for a month and a half
    - try out some new recipes (graham crackers, goldfish crackers, coconut cream)
    - vegan and GF a recipe (goldfish crackers)
    - try some old recipes (roasted chickpeas, split pea soup)
    - purge my closet

happy friday!

xo

sabina

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — February 4th, 2011 at 12:32 pm

you could always take the maca pills/tablets and avoid the taste all-together if you really want to take maca.

Kat — February 4, 2011 at 5:31 am

I haven’t really noitced any ‘benefits’ but I like the way it tastes – I put it in smoothies, sometimes sprinkled on fruit or popcorn. It is pricey, but a little sprinkle adds some nice pizzazz!

Melomeals: Vegan for $3.33 a Day — February 4, 2011 at 5:38 am

I have tried Maca and I don’t like the taste much.. but I like the way it makes me feel.

I use spray oil too for popcorn.. it’s such a great way to get it good and coated!

Amanda- The Nutritionist Reviews — February 4, 2011 at 5:39 am

I have Maca powder but never truly knew what it was for. Thanks for the education!

Amanda — February 4, 2011 at 5:40 am

I’ve tried maca in a bunch of my smoothies and I haven’t really noticed much of a difference to be honest. I usually add my maca to a smoothie with hemp protien and chlorella, and in general these smoothie ingredients (along with a banana and some lemon) make me feel good and keep me full for a while.

I like the story that Brendan Brazier tells in Thrive about how the European settlers started eating it to help them adjust to the high altitude of the Andean mountains and so I imagine that it gives me some sort of advantage in my long runs, but I really can’t be sure.

Also, I linked to your raw vegan kale chips recipe (Oct 17, 2009) for my blog. Thanks!

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — February 4th, 2011 at 12:34 pm

thanks for lmk about the kale chips and also about brendan.

seasonal/local eating principles at work there, clearly. Eating the foods that are local to help you, i.e. eating tropical melons in the tropics which are full of water to help one stay hydrated type thing.

Holly @ Couch Potato Athlete — February 4, 2011 at 5:55 am

I have never tried maca — but I’d be happy to try it in a dark chocolate bar. The benefits sound amazing though.

No big plans — going to MOA for some shopping, super bowl on Sunday (I might watch, who knows). Relax, take it easy and enjoy the time off!

Have a great weekend Averie!

Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty — February 4, 2011 at 6:03 am

I love macca, I put it in everything!! Although I have never felt a difference?!

Have a great day!

rebecca lustig — February 4, 2011 at 6:11 am

i’ve never tried maca, but if tthats what it does to popcorn, sign me up.

i’m also not a fan of the ‘m’ word… but those look delish!

Eliz@The Sweet Life — February 4, 2011 at 6:25 am

“sinfully good for you”–i love it!

faith — February 4, 2011 at 6:36 am

I tried maca a few times when I lived in Peru, it was cheap and all over of course. I noticed increased energy and alertness and one of my few regrets from living there is that I didn’t squirrel away a year supply because it’s so much more expensive here!

faith — February 4, 2011 at 6:36 am

And what is it with ladies and the word MOIST?! (tee hee hee, sorry :))

Katie — February 4, 2011 at 7:16 am

I was into maca about a year ago, when I was on a super green smoothie kick. Every morning I’d do something like carrots, celery, kale/spinach, banana, maca, spirulena, and cinnamon. And stevia, of course. I kind of stopped doing that and haven’t had maca since. I’m not sure I could really taste it or that it really did anything for me anyway.

Getting chocolate in the mail = best day ever. Maca or not.

Andrea — February 4, 2011 at 7:18 am

I’ve never tried maca but have been wanting to – I think your post “pushed me over the edge” and I’ll try it this weekend!
    BTW – why do you buy your nooch in a container as opposed to from the bulk section? Just wondering :)

Felicia (a taste of health with balance) — February 4, 2011 at 7:18 am

i would put maca in my smoothies but really didn’t like the taste that much. then i would mix it with applesauce and that would be fine, but i stopped a while ago. i really should start again to help balance hormones but i’m not sure if its suppose to be best on an empty stomach, without fruit, etc…? should look into it again as i have almost 2 bags of it! i did feel great when i took it

Kristina @ Life as Kristina — February 4, 2011 at 7:47 am

Love sequel naturals-never had that maca bar tho-looks delish!

Ann Claire — February 4, 2011 at 8:32 am

I’ve never tried maca. I’d like to though! Right now, I’m just enjoying the fact that my weekend started a day early because I have a snow day from school today. Have a great weekend Averie!

Beth — February 4, 2011 at 8:56 am

I’ve tried Maca. Enjoy putting it in my smoothies or tossing it in some unbaking. Don’t buy it frequently though because of the price.
    Haven’t really noticed any benefits, but like you I enjoy the taste.

Happy Friday!

Helen — February 4, 2011 at 9:32 am

I have never tried maca, but if it helps with PMS then I so need some…lol! I was suppose to have date night this weekend with the hubster but my mouth is killing me. Not sure if we are gonna make it or not.

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine — February 4, 2011 at 9:42 am

Last winter I used a lot of maca, but haven’t recently…I think my bag is still at my parents’ actually. It’s a nice flavor to combine with cocoa powder! I have to say I’ve never felt any different after eating it though, haha. I know all these superfoods are supposed to have incredible effects, but I’m fine with eating them solely for taste and the nutrients they provide, not for an energy burst or anything like that :)

This weekend I’m going to dinner with the boy and his mom, then celebrating a friend’s 21st. Should be a good one!

Christin@purplebirdblog — February 4, 2011 at 10:04 am

I absolutely adore the malty carameliness of maca! I put it in smoothies a lot, and I made a maca/honey/PB/nutritional yeast coated batch of sweet potatoes a while back that were RIDICULOUSLY GOOD! :D

kate@ahealthypassion — February 4, 2011 at 10:14 am

I have never tried maca but it is definitely on my must purchase list right alongside the vega powders.

chrysta — February 4, 2011 at 10:23 am

Im so glad you posted about the maca. I actually have a bag and wasnt sure what to do with it. I was just sprinkling it on apples and in my oatmeal but I was thinking of some new things to try. I love the popcorn idea! How cool!

Sara (Miles and Manhattan) — February 4, 2011 at 10:43 am

Never tried it but you’ve piqued my interest (as usual, I love your blog!!!)

This weekend I’m trying fun new restaurants and fun new workout classes!!! (to balance each other out!)

xoxo
    s

Christine (The Raw Project) — February 4, 2011 at 10:55 am

Yum, the chocolate sounds good, they can send me a sample too. :-) Wow, you have more books than me! I have a huge wishlist of books I want, but time to get to them all has been an issue lately. I did just order my first Vegan product to try, can’t wait to get it.

1. Yes and it’s okay, not my favorite. If I put a spoonful or so in my smoothies, I hardly notice it.
    2. Eh, I can’t say I noticed any huge energy increases, maybe a little…
    3. GOing out to eat with my sisters and their hubbies, can’t wait! Still not sure on the Superbowl, probably a casual family gathering at my sister’s house. And a long run.

Griffen — February 4, 2011 at 11:01 am

Oh yum,

I love maca. I generally put it in avocado puddings and such. I use that Navitas Naturals brand as well. They put out some good stuff. Have you tried their acai powder? So good!

Griffen

Jen — February 4, 2011 at 11:33 am

I need to get some maca powder, I have wicked PMS.

Tonight is the school fair at my kid’s school, tomorrow is indoor swimming party for the 3 year old and church on sunday.
    No superbowl parties or anything like that. I hate football.

bitt — February 4, 2011 at 11:49 am

Yucky maca. Only way I can handle it is if it’s in a really small amount with other flavors. Not sure I’d like this bar.

No superbowl for me!

Ela — February 4, 2011 at 12:01 pm

Happy w/e to you too!

I love maca. I eat it every day, so I can’t say if it definitely helps or not–but I do have thyroid and adrenal issues and it is supposed to help with both of those. I guess it would be interesting to quit for a bit and see if it dips my energy, but I do love the taste too and I’d miss it. I’ve also heard that the ‘super maca’ with the fiber removed, etc, is even more effective but it’s also super-expensive (whereas if you shop around, you can get maca less than $10/lb, which is not bad at all) and I tend to prefer staying closer to the whole food anyway.

love
    Ela

Ela — February 4, 2011 at 12:02 pm

PS–thanks for your input on the photo dilemma–so did you have to buy different space when you switched to wp?

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — February 4th, 2011 at 12:43 pm

It’s a whole new situation..
      So yes, I pay annually for my own servers and dedicated i.p. (bluehost)
      I pay to have my own domain (godaddy)
      And pay for the tech aspects from thesis theme to site help and support.

Based on my traffic and goals and desires, it’s the best option for me. I love being on WP!

cailen — February 4, 2011 at 12:20 pm

that muffin looks soooo gooey and delicious! wish i could have one with my tea right now!!

also, i’m in the beginning stages of gathering recipes for a new cookbook “Vegetables & Vodka” that i’m working on. i’m including a lot of healthy, veggie-based dinner recipes (and some low-cal cocktail recipes too) would you be interested in contributing a recipe?

if so, email me at cailenascher@gmail.com or message me via my blog : ) if you have any foodie blogger recommendations about who i should contact, that would be great too!

happy weekend!

Martha — February 4, 2011 at 12:53 pm

OK TMI alert: So I’ve been using maca in my green smoothies pretty much every day for several months. Recently I’ve upped the dose and noticed that I have RIDICULOUSLY smelly farts. I think its the maca… anyone have a similar experience??

chocolatecoatedrunner — February 4, 2011 at 1:00 pm

I haven’t tried maca powder yet but I would lovee to! That stuff looks great with so many health benefits!!!
    This weekend I’ll only watch the super-bowl if my bf wants to watch, otherwise I’d rather do homework/ class reading with my time.
    Hope you have a good weekend! It is supposed to snow a lot again where I live in NY and MA (my school is by boston but I live in NY)

Madeline - Greens and Jeans — February 4, 2011 at 1:22 pm

I’ve never tried maca but my mom swears by it! I’ve been thinking about you a lot this week lady! so so so much love coming your way.

Rachael — February 4, 2011 at 1:38 pm

In a rare moment of mean-girlness, I once swiped my co-workers maca truffle bar. It was yummy, and I justified eating her six dollar chocolate confection with the 70 hour weeks I put in while she went shopping.
    Another weekend in. More snow. Maybe a haircut – my hair is approaching accidental dreads these days.
    Happy Friday!

Christina — February 4, 2011 at 1:53 pm

Ok I really need to get some now! There’s a vegan place here in Brooklyn called v-spot and almost every time I go I get a fresh juice with maca added and it’s delish!! I need some mood swing help though, and a little “stimulation” doesn’t hurt either! hahahaha!

Kate (What Kate is Cooking) — February 4, 2011 at 2:43 pm

I’ve never tried maca before. I really like the idea for that popcorn! Especially with the chocolate chips. I’m imagining them getting a little melty… yum!

Mindy — February 4, 2011 at 3:35 pm

Yep, I do like maca. I especially like to add it to certain smoothies, because it turn them into a malt, at least to my taste buds. I’m out now, and not replacing too soon because of the price issue you mentioned. Not sure if I’ve really felt the benefits, but I still like it and don’t think it can hurt :)

Kim — February 4, 2011 at 4:49 pm

Ahhhhh I hate the ‘M’ word also…. Its freaks me out!!! :D

Amber Shea @Almost Vegan — February 4, 2011 at 8:00 pm

I’ve never FELT any difference from maca, but I have grown to looove the taste. It’s a little odd at first, but then it becomes addicting…especially in chocolate.

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — February 5, 2011 at 8:48 am

LOL – those muffins are so MOIST!!! Bahahahahahahahahahahaha – I love that word :-) And they are. It is ridiculous.

hzgedlqv — February 6, 2011 at 9:43 am

6UKBVH ftsmolggbfqb, [url=http://sqxolywludsq.com/]sqxolywludsq[/url], [link=http://uoawwflgrqjj.com/]uoawwflgrqjj[/link], http://nydervbafoly.com/

Krista — February 8, 2011 at 11:03 am

I’ve never tried maca. I’ve often looked at it in the store, but not being sure what to do with it, I’ve always left it on the shelf. Maybe I’ll have to go ahead and pick it up next time.

Tony Budden — February 10, 2011 at 5:38 pm

I just want to say I’m all new to blogging and site-building and certainly savored this web page. Almost certainly I’m going to bookmark your site . You really come with fantastic well written articles. Thanks for sharing your blog site.