No-Bake Nutter Butter Special K Bars

I have had a craving to somehow combine peanut butter cookies with a vanilla-infused, brown sugar-sweetened peanut butter sauce and create a no-bake dessert.

And then I wanted to top the whole thing with chocolate frosting.

After pondering how I was going to do this, it finally came to me…

This recipe combines the peanut butter, brown sugar, and vanilla “sauce” I use in my Special K Bars

That’s the “sauce”: Peanut Butter + Brown Sugar + Karo Syrup + Vanilla= heaven

…And just takes it one step further: adding a pound of Nutter Butter peanut butter cookies.

Here’s what I came up with.  I think you’ll like it.

[print_this]

No-Bake Nutter Butter Special K Bars

1 pound of Nutter Butter cookies (or vanilla/peanut butter “sandwich” cookies of any sort)

4 c Special K cereal

1/2 c butter/margarine (1 stick)

1 c Karo Syrup (this is kept near maple syrup in the grocery store, it’s cheap and has been around forever)

1 c brown sugar

1/2 c peanut butter

1 tsp vanilla extract

Directions:

Grind the Nutter Butter cookies in Vita or food processor and put into a big bowl along with the Special K.

In a sauce pan on the stove, combine the butter, Karo syrup, brown sugar and bring to a boil and boil for 3 minutes.  Turn off the heat and add the peanut butter and vanilla extract and stir until combined. Some lumps from the peanut butter is ok.

Take the peanut butter sauce mixture from the stovetop and pour over the ground Nutter Butter cookies and Special K.  Stir to combine everything.

Pour and press mixture into a greased 9 x 13 pan.  Chill in refrigerator or freezer until set up.

Optional:  Chocolate Frosting.  Use prepared chocolate frosting or make your own.  Follow my recipe for Vegan Chocolate Frosting.  Or simply pour 1.5 to 2c of melted chocolate chips over the top of the bars.

[/print_this]

A visual guide

Ignore the marshmallows. I thought I may use them in the recipe but realized I had enough sugar going on for one recipe.

Grind the Nutter Butters and place into a big bowl with the Special K

Make Peanut Butter + Brown Sugar + Karo Syrup + Vanilla Sauce on the stovetop

Take the Peanut Butter Sauce and pour over the ground Nutter Butters + Special K.  Stir to combine.

Press into the pan.

Make the chocolate frosting or melt chocolate chips and pour over the top

Place in fridge or freezer for a few minutes until they are set up and then, slice, serve.  And let the moaning begin.

These bars are every bit as amazing as I hoped they’d be.

They combine peanut butter sandwich cookies + peanut butter sauce

Plus adding chocolate on top of anything always helps the cause

They are dense, sweet, rich, peanut buttery, vanilla-ey, and chewy.

Sinking your teeth into these is a beautiful thing.

Pretty much everything I want in a dessert, these have it: No-Bake, Sweet, Dense, Peanut Butter, Peanut Butter Cookies, Vanilla, Very Rich

They are not vegan, they are not gluten free, they are not light or healthy.  They are delicious.

Enjoy!

From my last post about it Being a Zoo Out There with running errands on the weekend, yes it is!  But such is life.

I had fun reading about if you’ve ever tried a blogosphere recipe and it was a fail for whatever reason.  Sometimes things just don’t turn out how I’d hoped, and glad to know I am not the only one who’s had that happen.

Questions

1. Best thing you’ve done or eaten this weekend?

Best thing I’ve eaten was, hands down, these bars.

Best thing I’ve done was spending time with Skylar and getting a great workout in.

2. Are you a Peanut Butter fan?

I know some of you are going to say you like almond butter or other nut butters more than peanut butter.   Those don’t hold a candle to PB for me.  The only nut butter that beats/ties with peanut butter for me is Sunflower Seed Butter (TJ’s house brand rocks).  But I am truly a huge peanut butter fan.

If you need a post showcasing my Peanut Butter containing recipes in everything from desserts to peanut sauce to roasted vegetables to one-pot meals with peanut butter in them, that’s your post.  Of course in all the recipes you could use another kind of nut butter, too.  Because I know blog readers are nut butter fiends!

3. What kind of dessert should I make next?

No Bake or Baked, Cookies, Cake, Brownies, Balls/Bites, Pies, Bars…give me some suggestions.  And also flavors you’d like to see incorporated.  My wheels are turning and I aim to please.

P.S. If you’re just catching up on Weekend Posts, here are mine since Friday:

75 Responses to “No-Bake Nutter Butter Special K Bars”

VeggieGirl — March 27, 2011 at 4:15 am

Make more of THOSE bars please! :)

I’m just now adding peanuts back into my diet and definitely agree with you that peanut butter is better than the best.

• VeggieGirl replied: — March 27th, 2011 at 4:17 am

Oops, I meant “better than the REST.”

Nicole @ Making Good Choices — March 27, 2011 at 4:19 am

Can you have a giveaway with those? yum!! Your pictures are so good too! They are so bright and really show off the bars amazingly! I have been enjoying all your posts, reading them at night in my email, I linked to you yesterday about the GMO article. Thanks for sharing it!

PB is my fav nut butter too!

Lauren @chigallauren — March 27, 2011 at 4:30 am

I loveeee PB and I haven’t had Nutter Butters in forever!! But I still remember how awesome they are!

Heather @ Health, Happiness, and Hope — March 27, 2011 at 4:42 am

This remind me of a “magoo bar” my mom used to make! Love the creativity with ingredients Averie!!!

Yup, I’m a peanut butter fan, but I have to admit that almond butter usually beat PB in the most cases. Both are fabulous though!

Susan — March 27, 2011 at 5:00 am

I lovelovelove the looks of this recipe!

I’m with you. The only thing that comes close to peanut butter for me in the TJ’s sunflower. I love almond butter and all that too, but growing up on PB sandwiches makes it hold a special place in my heart :)

Best thing I ate all weekend? I went to a brunch place called “Scone Witch” that specializes in scones and breakfasts revolving around scones. Ohyes.

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine — March 27, 2011 at 5:00 am

Oh man do these look rich and sweet….which all good desserts should be. I love that you thought to add the Nutter Butters, too. Brings it to a whole new level!

I LOVE PB. Definitely my favorite kind of nut butter…I do love almond/cashew/etc and prefer them to certain brands of PB, but in the end peanuts always come out on top. I get it from my dad, who buys Costco-sized jars of Skippy chunky PB and eats several spoonfuls a day. Takes a scoop of PB, then of strawberry jam, and eats them together. I tell him he’s like a little kid.

Best thing I ate was probably pizza margherita and beer on Friday night!!

reid — March 27, 2011 at 5:19 am

I can honestly say that pb is my favorite food and always has been!

What do you think about something with key lime? Summertime’s calling to me!

Your bars look amazing- I may have to make them for my Mom (she loves the pb and chocolate combo..) :)

Erica — March 27, 2011 at 5:23 am

These look ridiculous good! Like a baked good version or a peanut butter cup. The nutty cookies was such a fun addition. Best thing I ate this weekend? Cornmeal pizza Friday night. Best thing I did? Date night with Josh. So good to spend time with him!

Paige @ Running Around Normal — March 27, 2011 at 5:26 am

OK friend, these look WAY too special to be called special K bars ;) They look liked delicious mouth watering K bars :)

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg — March 27, 2011 at 5:43 am

Okay, THESE are downright dangerous. I could never have a stack of these in my house without eating them all!!! :-)

Heather (Where's the Beach) — March 27, 2011 at 7:06 am

I haven’t had those cookies since I was a kid. I love PB. Could just eat it by the spoonfuls.

melissa @ the delicate place — March 27, 2011 at 7:16 am

best thing so far was a vegan coffee house + thai food with friends. i do like almond butter better than pb but right now i’m loving cashew butter! i would love to see you do a no bake brownie nom!

vijay — March 27, 2011 at 7:35 am

visited your nice blog

regds

vijay
    a simple blogger in blogworld

Jen — March 27, 2011 at 7:58 am

Wow, Those bars look amazing! :) I love peanut butter. Thanks

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table — March 27, 2011 at 8:00 am

Oh yum! Nutter Butters were always my fav growing up. Love the no-bake revamp of this treat!

lauren @ spiced plate — March 27, 2011 at 8:04 am

I would have a hard time not eating the pb sauce before it got to the bars! yum!

Christine (The Raw Project) — March 27, 2011 at 8:05 am

What a crazy recipe! It looks great and nice photos. My nieces would love this … not my nephew since he has a peanut allergy though! :-(

1. Probably my pesto pasta yesterday and seeing Sucker Punch.
    2. Yes, but more of an almond butter fan now.
    3. Something high-raw with a light, fruity flavor like mango tarts.

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — March 27th, 2011 at 12:53 pm

thanks for the photo compliments…no matter how many shots I took, I don’t “love” any of them. They are fine, just not like…in love with them, so thanks :)

Rachel (tea and chocolate) — March 27, 2011 at 8:15 am

Goodness those bars look incredible! What a creative idea to add nutter butters. Peanut butter is my top nut butter too with sunflower seed butter in a close second place.

Holly @ The Runny Egg — March 27, 2011 at 8:22 am

I love PB and I love “bars” — a MN thing maybe? :)

These look delicious and Nutter Butter cookies are super good — I don’t think I’ve had them for a long time.

I absolutely love brownies, so any recipe involving them is a good one to me!

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) — March 27, 2011 at 8:23 am

I’m a huge peanut butter fan! Best thing I’ve eaten this weekend…Korean Sweet Potates, purple, white, and orange…OMG they were so buttery, creamy and sweet. The bars look beautiful.

Courtney Moore — March 27, 2011 at 8:27 am

These. look. FREAKING. GOOD. Thanks for sharing naughtiness. :)

Andy — March 27, 2011 at 8:28 am

Damn, that looks delicious!
    I’ll have to take a look tomorrow, if I can find similar ingredients over here in Germany. Wish me luck.

Melomeals: Vegan for $3.33 a Day — March 27, 2011 at 8:41 am

Peanut butter is my all time favorite too!

those bars look to die for.

Amber K — March 27, 2011 at 8:48 am

Wow, those look amazing! Peanut butter is definitely top notch. I have tried cashew butter, , walnut butter, almond butter, sunflower seed butter….I just keep coming back to peanut!

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) — March 27, 2011 at 9:40 am

WOW!! Those look AMAZING!! I love Nutter Butters, especially the wafer ones. YUM!! :D

Make something with Nutella? It’s been on my mind lately. I might try my luck with it, like a pie of some sort.

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — March 27th, 2011 at 12:54 pm

oh Nutella. I have seen so many amazing recipes with it in the sphere on some of the baking blogs i read…i need to do something with it, for sure!

Lauren@LittleYellowKitchen — March 27, 2011 at 10:26 am

Wow Averie. Great idea!! I love that you can splurge once in a while. These look great, too bad they will have to wait until I have healed from my wisdom teeth surgery. I wonder how a Nutter Butter Special K bar smoothie would taste?? :)

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — March 27th, 2011 at 12:55 pm

smoothie..yum! You could crumble chunks of this into the smoothie…the batter is wayyyyy too thick to really turn it into a smoothie, but the crumbles would work.

Mindy — March 27, 2011 at 11:10 am

I love pb too…I’ve been eating it out of the jar over the last week, yikes!

I wish I could eat your desserts everyday!! I just work out enough to not feel guilty about it. ;)

kate m — March 27, 2011 at 12:24 pm

PB is generally cheap and gets the job done always, but sometimes almost tooooo salty/ sweet for me. sunflowerseed butter is my current obsession and nothing in the world is wrong with it, but we all go through phases haha! almond butter is decadent but expensive so its a once in a while treat for me. and i’m scared to spend upwards of 10$ on any other kinds and find out i don’t like them! so those are the only ones I’ve had. Have you tried cashew/ macadamia/ pecan/ walnut or any other kinds that you really recommend, or are they not really worth an arm and a leg?
    these bars are very creative and look so decadent. wish i could eat gluten grrrr! maybe I’ll try to adapt the recipe with some GF cookies! hope your weekend has been great :)
    -kate

Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} — March 27, 2011 at 12:31 pm

Nutter Butter cookies were my absolute favorite growing up, so I’m sure I would love those bars. They look delicious!! I’m pretty sure a certain 2 yr old would love them, too. ;-)

Best thing I ate this weekend was probably the pancakes I made for breakfast yesterday. I love pancakes. Although I had a big, amazing salad for lunch today.

PB is by far and away my favorite nut butter. I eat others for variety, but if I had to pick one it would be PB for sure.

Your next dessert should be something quick and easy. I think you are the quick & easy recipe master! :-)

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — March 27th, 2011 at 12:56 pm

these are pretty quick and easy. taking a million blog pictures, editing them, posting the recipe took forever. But actually cooking them…maybe 20 minutes including dishes? Not bad at all.

Emma (Namaste Everyday) — March 27, 2011 at 12:31 pm

I love this recipe because I love rice crispy treats–I’m always on the lookout for fun variations! Could you make some vegan (or just dairy-free) brownies? Maybe you already have a recipe!

Kate (What Kate is Cooking) — March 27, 2011 at 1:36 pm

Nutterbutters are amazing! Such good memories of eating those as a kid :)

Lindsay — March 27, 2011 at 1:42 pm

yummmm these look delish! I bet they could be easily vaganized if one wanted to also… hmmm… I wonder how they would taste with a little mashed banana in the bar??

I love peanut butter. Actually I love all nut butters. Sometimes I just grab a spoonfull out of the jar for a yummy, slightly naughty snack. Overall I haven’t experimented too much with peanut butter in baking, but it’s something I’d like to do more of.

Favorite yumm food this week was the yummiest and ripest pineapple I’ve had all year. DELISH! I sprinkled a little cinnamon on top and it turned out to be a killer combination :)

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — March 27th, 2011 at 2:36 pm

you could use vegan cookies instead of nutter butters and use a vegan cereal other than special k.

everything else is already vegan

hippierunner — March 27, 2011 at 2:07 pm

These look AMAZING! Peanut Butter is my favorite!! I actually have vegan donuts in the oven right now and I couldn’t help but add peanut butter to them! I have tried Almond Butter but I felt like it was missing the fat of PB or something because I just did not like it.

Tracy @ Commit to Fit — March 27, 2011 at 2:28 pm

These bars remind of the ones I used to find at local bakes sales as a kid and would beg my mom to buy for me :)

Jen — March 27, 2011 at 2:40 pm

Peanut butter is definitely my number one love when it comes to nut butters. I actually put almond butter on my baked oatmeal this morning, sat down to eat it, got up after a few bites, scraped it off, and replaced it with peanut butter. Not joking! I used to LOVE almond butter, but peanut butter has been the only one for me lately. Nutter Butters used to be one of my favorite cookies when I was little. Seeing them is making me nostalgic!

Danielle — March 27, 2011 at 2:47 pm

I was honestly just contemplating that I have a serious peanut butter addiction going on. I have no plans of changing it. A day is just not a day without peanut butter… and a banana… usually together.

Katie — March 27, 2011 at 2:47 pm

If I could eat peanut butter all day everyday, I would.

I really wanted to make reindeer out of nutter butters for Christmas, but the baking extraveaganza was already out of hand. You just coat them in melted chocolate, stick a mini pretzel on one end for the antlers, and then stick a red m&m for the nose. They are adorable, and obviously, delicious. I want Christmas back!

Meg — March 27, 2011 at 3:43 pm

Holy wow I think I’m in heaven….Nutter Butters are definitely a childhood fave. I’d love to make these for my fam! And treat myself to a GF recipe of yours, of course ;)

I hope you’re having a beautiful Sunday and tell the fam we all said heeeyy! :D

I love peanut butter and ANY nut butter dessert is cool with me ;)

Cara Craves... — March 27, 2011 at 4:48 pm

My favorite eats of the weekend was marvelous salad bar that I ravaged on Friday night!

Pure2raw twins — March 27, 2011 at 5:46 pm

YUM!!! and beautiful pictures Averie!

Sana — March 27, 2011 at 6:12 pm

I want to swim in your “sauce”. Bahahah

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — March 27, 2011 at 7:03 pm

That “sauce” looks like the best part for sure!!!! I have to make your bars one of these days – they look SO insanely good!

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit — March 27, 2011 at 7:15 pm

mm these bars look delicious! The best food I had was dinner last night – miso gravy and quinoa with scrambled egg whites. YUM! I’m having it again tonight I loved it so much!
    I’m allergic to peanuts… but if I wasn’t I would totally be obsessed with peanuts

Baking 'n' Books — March 27, 2011 at 8:18 pm

I was ADDICTED to PB before. Addicted. I thought that by switching over to AB I could “break” the nut butter addiction – because I thought there was no way AB would be any good…uh, wrong!! AB is my favorite now!! Sorry ;)

Sunflower seed is good though. I have the White Chocolate Dreams PB here though – and so good!

Love your photos! Awesome.

Lindsey @ Gingerbread Bagels — March 27, 2011 at 11:52 pm

Oh my goodness!! I need these bars in my life right now. I can’t stop drooling over them, they look sooooo good. :)

Michele Sparrow — March 28, 2011 at 9:05 am

Holy Moly…those bars look SOOOO good! I am definitely gonna make them, as my boys absolutely LOVE peanut butter! I do like peanut butter, but not a ton, really. I would rather have white chocolate any day! :-) Btw, Averie…I made your marshmallow treats the other day and they were a HUGE hit in my house. In fact, they disappeared the same day I made them! I love how easy there were because I just don’t have tons of time to be baking!

Best thing I did this weekend was attend the high school musical here in Santa Cruz, where my boys go to school. Such fun!

As for what to bake next, I would say cookies of some kind. Those are a huge hit in our house and fun to bake! Hope you are having a great Monday, Averie! :-)

Sam @ the neurotic yogini — March 28, 2011 at 10:32 am

I used to like peanut butter as a kid.. followed by YEARS of distaste.. but now I again find myself craving the creamy goodness! Weird right. Same thing happened w/ Cheetos (though I rarely allow myself to ‘indulge’ in that!)…

charlotte — March 28, 2011 at 1:19 pm

These look freaking amazing!! My kids would die and go to heaven if I made these… bookmarking the recipe for the next time I’m asked to bring “bars” (so Minnesota!) to an event.

Christine — March 28, 2011 at 9:02 pm

Hi Averie! I attempted to make the Special K Bars that these are based upon and would love to try these. However, I’m not sure if my Special K Bars turned out properly. I was wondering if you could tell me what the texture / consistency of the bottom bar part is supposed to be – it’s hard to tell from the photos. Is it supposed to be hard and crunchy or chewier/stretchier? Either way, they taste wonderful. I’m just curious, thanks a bunch!

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — March 28th, 2011 at 9:08 pm

not hard and crunchy. Chewy and stretchy but not so much that they fall apart. Pour the hot PB Sauce over the Special K and add 5 ish cups of Special K. And that should be about perfect :)

commercial construction — March 28, 2011 at 10:31 pm

Cut the salt in half in your favorite recipes. Most of the time this will not produce a noticeable taste change. Consider replacing part of the salt with an herb or spice, flavored vinegar, citrus juice or peel. Garlic or onion power (not garlic or onion salt) work well in meats, soups, and sauces. Make your own mix of garli