At Home Workouts: DVDs & Podcasts

TGIF!  It hit 82F here on Wednesday, the mid 70s on Thursday, and Friday and the weekend are supposed to be great.

I recently received this combo set of 3 DVDs that Yoga Jornal sent me.

Baron Baptiste, Seane Corn, and Shiva Rea.  Three pillars and all such strong, prominent forces in the yoga community.

I enjoyed the DVDs and each teacher has unique teaching style and so it was interesting to go from Baron Baptiste’s more intense, power-based practice to Seane Corn who incorporates a more spiritual aspect of yoga into her teaching style to Shiva Rea’s free flowing, somatic movement filled dvd.  All the dvd’s were different, and all were enjoyable!

I have a comprehensive post on Yoga FAQ’s where I touch on everything from other yoga DVD recommendations, to music, yoga clothing, how to score free yoga classes in your area, and much more.

I’ve been a certified yoga teacher for a decade now (although I am not currently teaching as I explained) but I like to share my yoga info, expertise, tips, and tricks that I’ve picked up along the way in my twelve year personal practice in the hopes of answering some of your Yoga FAQs.

In that post I can also be seen wearing some pink Be Present pants.

And I routinely live in my other Be Present pants.  Like when I met up with Marla

Or met up with Amber

Or just about any day of the week, for part of the day, I always have a pair on.

So I was thrilled when Be Present sent me a pair of their new Kona Pants!

Drawstring, lightweight, pockets, cropped at the knee…perfect! I will wear these out, no doubt.

I love Be Present!  I have been a fan of theirs for years, long before this pair of pants.  They are truly, my #1 go-to for pants not just for yoga, but for day-to-day life.  I don’t want jeans.  I want my Be Present pants.

From my last post, it was fun to hear what you’ve been plugging along with this week and also great feet talk.  Yes, I am a bigfoot. I could talk shoes and feet all day.  And so could you based on the fun comments. And thanks to all my big-footed readers for delurking and commenting!

1. Do you use any DVDs for your workouts?

About a year or so ago, it seemed that P90x, Insanity, and Turbofire were all over the blogosphere on healthy living and food blogs.  Since then, I haven’t seen those mentioned as much but everyone now talks about bodyrock.tv

I have not used any of those.

Why?

Probably for the same reason that I don’t use cookbooks much.  I am a wing-it type person with my food and workouts.  I like to tweak and create things according to what I am feeling or craving, in that moment.

Whether it’s in the kitchen or with workouts, I don’t like things to be overly scripted.  Although cookbooks or DVDs can help to inspire me, I don’t really use or follow them much and when I do, it definitely not verbatim.

I found myself craving just doing what my body wanted to rather than following the dvd’s at some points, but that’s because I am just that way and also coming at the dvd’s from the perspective of a teacher, I am know “what to do”, how to sequence poses, classes, and what things I would have follow other things whereas the average person needs more guidance and much more of a scripted dvd and class to follow.

2. What is your take on podcasts, DVDs, online videos, youtube videos, and at-home workouts that you don’t attend an actual class?  Yay or nay?

Here are a few of my pros & cons about working out at home with online downloads or dvds.

Pros:

Workout at your own pace

Workout at a time convenient for you

Fits into your schedule when you have the time

No drive time, parking time, shuffling in and out of gyms, locker rooms, studios, etc.

No one cares if you’re wearing dirty workout clothes with stains on them

You can quit if you’re not into the workout/video without any stigma

You can tweak the workout based on what you want that day

Cons:

No one there to inspire you.  Looking around a class and seeing others who are in great shape can inspire me.

No one there to correct bad form or “errors” in form that could lead to injury.  This is my biggest caution for newbies and yoga dvds.  You really ought to go to classes for awhile before you start practicing at home exclusively because you could be practicing bad form which is a recipe for injury. Learn the ropes from a qualified teacher before you do everything at home.  Most people don’t practice or workout exclusively alone at home either, anyway.

Boredom/no group or class energy

At times, a little bit too easy to quit the workout and stay motivated when you’re by yourself

Hard to get motivated to start the workout if there’s no class you’re attending.  Knowing you don’t have to “rush” to the gym or studio to make that 6pm class may make it easier to just blow off the at-home workout all together.

What do you think about at-home workouts and DVDs/podcasts?  Found anything you love or that’s been working out great for you?  Anything you’ve tried that you weren’t into at all?

3. Workout apparel that you’re loving?  Or any gym/yoga studio clothes that double as your real life clothes?

I am the queen of my drawstring pants, Target sports bras, and pull on yoga pants doubling as my daytime wardrobe.  There are worse things, right? Function and comfort is why I do it!   And so do many other women if looking around my area is any indication.

Don’t forget to enter my Coconut Oil Give Away.  Winner announced tomorrow (Saturday)!

P.S. Related Posts that may be of interest:
Fitness Experiments – What I’ve Tried, What’s Worked, What Next
Daily Workouts Streamlined – 20 Minutes at Home
I Quit The Gym
Abs: How to Get Them & Tough Love
Morning Workout Tips

66 Responses to “At Home Workouts: DVDs & Podcasts”

Judy — April 29, 2011 at 12:48 am

Averie,

I saw this recipe and thought of you!

Beth — April 29, 2011 at 2:01 am

I love Seane Corn. I have a few DVDs of hers. I do like DVDs, mainly for yoga. I can pop one in the DVD player any time, and I like that. I don’t like podcasts because I need some sort of visual or I get distracted. I especially love Ravi & Ana DVDs for Kundalini yoga because there are no Kundalini classes to be found around here, but my main form of exercise is walking and kettlebell training.

Workout apparel is pretty much my uniform. There is so much now that is cute enough for everyday wear, and it’s so comfortable, why not?

Pure2raw twins — April 29, 2011 at 2:31 am

i enjoy dvds for workouts, just sometimes have a hard time really focusing, especially with yoga. I notice I do best at a yoga studio. I feel some people can do really well with dvds at home. So just have find what works for ya.

VeggieGirl — April 29, 2011 at 3:16 am

Right now I’m loving the “Body By Bethenny” DVD.

cathy — April 29, 2011 at 3:26 am

what a wonderful, sunny weekend to look forward to, averie! enjoy!
    those yoga dvd’s look great. i do not use at home dvd’s at all. if i’m doing a class, i want that social interaction – for yoga, dance, strength training etc. if i’m on my own, i just want to do my own thing!
    love those pants you received! i love lululemon and nike wear – both are excellent in terms of quality, design, durability, cuteness (!) – yes, you pay more, but they last forever.
    have a great day!

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — April 29th, 2011 at 3:46 am

“i’m doing a class, i want that social interaction – for yoga, dance, strength training etc. if i’m on my own, i just want to do my own thing!”–

THAT is EXACTLY on point! Succinct, and true! couldnt have nailed it any better myself :)

Christine @ Merf In Progress — April 29, 2011 at 4:09 am

I have just started using more DVDs, because I can’t find time to get to the gym. I like my Jillian Michaels Shred DVD. Yoga DVDs are okay, but I really don’t enjoy yoga from a DVD.

Annie D @ Annie's Simple Life — April 29, 2011 at 4:33 am

Beautiful flowers!!!! Happy Friday my dear!

Ally (oatsandspice) — April 29, 2011 at 4:57 am

I do Baron Baptiste style yoga! It is my absolute favvv! I actually just got done reading one of his books – 40 Days to a Personal Revolution – loved it!

The weather sounds absolutely perfect in Cali – pretty jealous, not gonna lie :)

Mariah@Apples"N"Oats — April 29, 2011 at 5:01 am

using workout dvd’s would be really conveniant but i just am not a fan. The only time I use them is if I can’t get to my yoga class–it is 40 minutes away.

Elizabeth@The Sweet Life — April 29, 2011 at 5:10 am

Love those pants!!! Cute and comfy-looking. I wish I liked workout DVDs but I get bored with them so quickly.

charlotte — April 29, 2011 at 5:23 am

I *try* a lot of DVDs & youtube vids for workouts but since I do 95% of my workouts in the gym, I mostly just use them to get ideas. I have enjoyed P90X, Insanity & TurboFire (although a real Turbokick class is 200 times better). As for workout clothes, I pretty much live in mine hahahah! I have such a wide assortment of different stuff that I can’t pin down a fave. Never tried the be present stuff though – looks nice!

marla — April 29, 2011 at 5:55 am

Good morning :)
    Workout DVD’s do not really inspire me. They are great for those who cannot leave the house though.
    I can only imagine how amazing & precise you are with your personal yoga practice and your teaching. Gosh that photo of us makes me smile. Wish you were gonna be with me at camp this weekend. So goes with that last minute planning. xxoo

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — April 29th, 2011 at 12:51 pm

I so wish I had known. Would have planned for it. We need to discuss the rest of 2011 and plan it out :)

The photo of us made me smile too, and as I was pulling it up and posting it, I was so happy thinking back to our coffee sesh. Can’t wait for the next one!

Have fun this weekend and email me the scoop!

Leslie — April 29, 2011 at 6:04 am

I do like podcasts, videos, etc for workouts, but I find it hard to stay motivated! I LOOOOOVE classes! I’m really into my yoga practice right now, and feel like I get SO MUCH MORE out of the classes! I try to take at least one a week and kind of use that as a guide to do my own routine the other days. (But I’m also a type A personality that needs recipes too! I wish I could come up with my own easier, but like I said, guides are a motivation to me…I want something to follow!)

I am pretty much living in my yoga pants these days too! (good for spontaneous yoga poses!) I mostly have active wear from Tar-jey! :)~ The BePresent wear though looks pretty cool!

Hannah (Balancing on Two Feet) — April 29, 2011 at 6:04 am

I love those pants. I’ve never heard of Be Present, but will have to check them out for sure. I used to be a big lululemon fan, but after learning more about the company I am no longer going to support them.

When I was new to yoga I loved DVD’s but I find it hard to practice looking at a screen. I do enjoy an occasional podcast though since it can mimic being in a class I wouldn’t have any physical access to. For the most part however I like to play around on my mat and make up my own routines. I’ve realized over time that I don’t NEED someone telling me what to do, but instead can tune into my own body and what it is asking for.

Holly @ The Runny Egg — April 29, 2011 at 6:06 am

I love workout dvds — Jillian Michaels, Jackie Warner, TaeBo, even old school Jane Fonda. I’ve been doing them for years and I enjoy them. I like to be at home to workout and I feel good doing them. What I don’t like are those BodyRock workouts — the repetitive motions are no good for me — I end up using poor form near the end and my back kills the next day. Plus, I enjoy working out, so why would I want to do it for only 15 minutes per day? It works for some people, but not for me.

lauren @ spiced plate — April 29, 2011 at 6:18 am

I have been listening to yoga podcasts lately, they help me when I’m feeling uninspired. Otherwise, I just do my own thing, trusting my intuition.

Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food — April 29, 2011 at 6:22 am

ohh I do yoga pants, I wish I could get some more!

I like going to yoga classes but I most enjoy doing it on my down using david swenson’s ashatanga book as my guide :)

Lauren (Diary of a Vegan Girl) — April 29, 2011 at 6:28 am

I LOVE workout DVD’s. It helps me keep track of how much and what I am doing every day. It also keeps me more motivated than if I were just winging it. Also, I am not that experienced in work out routines, so this helps me keep good form and such. I use them every day!

kate@ahealthypassion — April 29, 2011 at 6:58 am

I love dvds and I also do a lot of workout videos on youtube and yes I live in workout clothes, why not ? :)

tamara — April 29, 2011 at 7:00 am

I burst at laughing at this post cause I did p90x then insanity and now I’m obsessed with bodyrock!

McKella — April 29, 2011 at 7:21 am

I use workout DVD’s when the weather’s bad, but that’s about it. I’d much rather go out for a walk or a hike. Sometimes I do yoga journal podcasts because I tend to go too fast and fizzle out early when I practice on my own. Not always, but sometimes. I haven’t been practicing at all this month, so I should get on that. I generally don’t like workout DVD’s because they feel too “workouty” to me. It’s doesn’t feel like natural, joyful movement and I don’t get the same life that I do moving outside. A bellydance vid every once in awhile is always fun though!
    Those look like my kind of pants. I’m all about comfort and stuff that’s easy to match. I wish I had the time and money to be a little more put together looking, but I just don’t care enough to move beyond my uniform of tee shirts and shorts or jeans.

kristina@beancakes — April 29, 2011 at 7:45 am

you know, i’m not really a DVD kind of gal, i’m not really into classes so much either. i’m more of an independent worker outer ;) it’s just easier for me. i live in workout clothes. yoga pants, tanks, loose fitting comfortable tees, all that. BTW ~ your weather is GORGEOUS! i always love seeing the beautiful flowers that you post ;)

Heidi @ Food Doodles — April 29, 2011 at 8:07 am

I do bodyrock workouts. I love them. Before I started doing them I really didn’t know how to workout and how to workout effectively and efficiently like she does. It was really pathetic, but I never really knew how to workout because I felt like I never needed to. I got exercise by being out and walking and running around and having fun but now that I have kids it’s slowed me down a lot, I can’t go do what I want to do when I want to so I needed something extra. Now that I know a little but I like to mix and match the bodyrock workouts to whatever I feel like that day.
    I will always have a special place in my heart for cheap stretchy yoga pants. I never bought maternity clothes, I just wore those and some long shirts, haha. I’m a jeans and regular bra kind of girl though, I usually don’t wear sports bras and yoga pants around unless I’m working out, probably because I’ve never found any really decent ones. I keep saying it, but there really is NO shopping around here, haha.

Ari@ThE DiVa DiSh — April 29, 2011 at 8:07 am

Workouts at home def have alot of pros! It is nice for me having a young baby to do a quick video while she is napping, but I also sometimes feel like I don’t get that good of a workout..but it also depends on the video :)

Veronica — April 29, 2011 at 8:36 am

Hello – Happy Friday!

Nearly four years ago I started practicing yoga (at home) because of a show called “Yoga for Life” on the Veria channel. Since then I have tried all different types of DVD’s, podcasts and even went to a wonderful yoga place where I used to live. I ended up moving and had to change yoga studios and was very unhappy. So back to practicing at home. I really miss the energy of the classes. However, in February I discovered that the yoga teacher who lead the Veria show came out with a 60 day fitness program called APY60 and it is perfect for my situation right now.

The instructor, Kurt Johnsen, is probably my favorite instructor out of everyone I have ever taken classes from, including DVDs, podcasts and in person. His voice is soothing and you never have to look at the TV. A small goal I have is to one day take a class of his, in person. I was tickled to see this post because I really wanted to share this experience. It has changed my life and I hope to continue on the same journey.

janetha @ meals & moves — April 29, 2011 at 9:25 am

yep i use insanity for my workouts! and i also love jackie warner’s dvds. i wonder if i will be able to make it to the gym once insanity is over.. it’s so nice to roll out of bed and workout in my living room.

p.s. i always like your posts that post other blogger recipes! it’s funny that in your comments to me you always tell me what you posted about.. i knowwwww ;)

Amber K — April 29, 2011 at 9:39 am

I have a bunch of DVDs, but I live in the top floor of an apartment building, so no working out at home for me. It shakes too much and I’m sure my downstairs neighbors don’t appreciate me jumping up and down on their heads! The other main con, is that I agree, it’s too easy to just completely give up and not do the full workout. In a kickboxing class I have stayed for the full hour even if I didn’t really feel like it because of the energy and I’d feel weird just walking out. But at home I can do 10 minutes and think, “eh that’s good enough, besides that book is really interesting, I think I’ll sit down and get back into that.”

The main reason I haven’t done any classes in years though, is that my gym doesn’t offer them at convenient times! They have them super early for the people who need to work out before work. And they have them super late for people who do it after they get home from work. Well I work out either at 11ish or 3ish depending on the day. Never any classes!

Megan@Dirty Dishes Daily — April 29, 2011 at 10:06 am

I use DVD ever once in awhile. I think the biggest issue I have with using them is that I get easily distracted at home so it’s hard for me to focus on doing a really good workout.

Sabina — April 29, 2011 at 10:29 am

Hi Averie!

I’m super-duper-envious of the weather in SD! It’s supposed to be sunny and +16C here on Saturday, which is making me jump for joy! Finally, sunshine and warmth!

I’m a big fan of a few brands for workout clothes:

- nike t-shirts and tanks
    - freya sports bra
    - champion socks
    - nike running shorts
    - lululemon pants and shorts
    - roots yoga pants

i pretty much live in yoga pants on weekends and when i get home from work!

xo

sabina

laurie — April 29, 2011 at 10:40 am

Sorry to ask this in your comments but I’ve been wondering for some time about what you think of food processors vs. Vitamix blenders. I love my Vitamix but am wondering if getting a food processor is a good idea for making dessert balls, hummus, banana soft serve and nut butters. I thought you might would know about this! Thanks!

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — April 29th, 2011 at 12:52 pm

I dont even own a food proc. I ONLY have my Vita. There are times I think about getting one but then I think, well, it’s another big appliance to store and why bother if I am getting decent results with the Vita. So I have held off on a food proc. I make everything you see here with my Vita.

• laurie replied: — April 29th, 2011 at 1:55 pm

Thanks, Averie!

Mimi (Gingersnaps) — April 29, 2011 at 11:32 am

I have workout videos on my computer, but I don’t always use them. Sometimes they are fun to shake things up, like Insanity. But I’m horrific at keeping up with dance videos. And Jillian Michael’s 30 Day Shred is still my go-to when I just need to get in a quick-and-dirty workout when I’m at my mom’s house or something.

kim — April 29, 2011 at 11:57 am

-i love dvd’s, cathe friedrich, jari love, jillian, lalo – they ‘ve really worked for me for the past few years to get the baby weight off. but one thing i’ve noticed – i recently tried some yoga classes for the first time in years – just b/c you can whip through a dvd doesn’t mean you’ll always stay fit – the body has gotta be challenged, you have to mix it up & try different things. it’s really easy to get used to the same old routine, no matter how hard it was when you started.
    -on another note – i made that chocolate coconut butter -my god!!!!!!! it’s incredible, i had to add some water to get it going in my blender, but it whipped up like pudding! & it tastes better than nutella. thanks for the awesome recipe & your positive energy!

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — April 29th, 2011 at 12:53 pm

“it whipped up like pudding! & it tastes better than nutella. thanks for the awesome recipe & your positive energy!”-
      Good! and thanks for the great compliments :)

Katie — April 29, 2011 at 12:02 pm

It really depends on what is going on in my life. When I did P90X and Insanity I was insanely busy with school, and didn’t have time or money for a gym membership. I didn’t want to do the whole drive there, drive back thing, and I loved having those extra 30 min or so. But after doing them for months or however long it was, I was bored, so back to the gym.

I keep thinking I’m going to do another one, but then I wake up and I want to get outside or just out of my house.

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — April 29th, 2011 at 12:54 pm

After I posted all those things, I thought of you and your comparison review post on them all but had already posted and didnt go stalking your site for the backlink. haha!

Yes “but then I wake up and I want to get outside or just out of my house.” I know! That’s why I run outside…I HAVE to be outside of the 4 walls of my house!

CAROLINE — April 29, 2011 at 12:05 pm

Hi Averie!

I just had to comment to say that I’m NOT a fan of DVDs at all … except for one. It’s the only workout that I actually enjoy doing, and the only one that puts my mind at ease (I wish yoga worked for me!) It’s the Bar Method DVDs. I used to live in Chicago where I was obsessed with the classes and would go at least 3x a week … but now I live in Omaha and there aren’t any studios here so the DVDs are the next best thing. My dream is to open up my own studio here one day :) But anyways, I just had to give Bar a shoutout b/c it’s my favorite!!! :)

Have a great weekend!

-Caroline

Heather @ Health, Happiness, and Hope — April 29, 2011 at 12:32 pm

As you know, I learned yoga from downloads and podcasts and didn’t even step in a studio until my Teacher Training! This was only because there wasn’t a studio anywhere near me, but I truly don’t think I missed out on TOO much by not being in a studio. In fact, DVD’s, podcasts, and downloads all give you the option of practicing with the best and highest trained teachers out there! I still do downloads and podcasts a couple times a week when I can’t make it in to the studio… I really enjoy them!

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — April 29th, 2011 at 12:55 pm

I remember you learning from dvds and podcasts…feels like a lifetime ago but yes, for ppl in your situation, that is the exact type of person I was trying to describe, something is better than nothing and in your case, was perfect for you at the time and clearly didnt hold you back from accomplishing everything that you have since done on your own yoga journey. So proud of you!

Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn — April 29, 2011 at 1:52 pm

Look at that beautiful sunshine!!! You are so tan gorgeous lady!! I was wondering what other vegan sources of protein you would recommend? Lately I have been cravvvving protein like no other, but I am definitely getting more than enough. Suggestions?!

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — April 29th, 2011 at 2:00 pm

make sure youre getting enough fat too..nuts, seeds, avocados, coconut oil, etc…sometimes I find I need some good hearty fat to really make me satisfied. Try that and see how it goes is my suggestion :)

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit — April 29, 2011 at 2:20 pm

I wish I could be a workout at home girl… but I just can’t do it. I have NO motivation at home. I would love to do DVDs but I know 5 minutes in I would think of something I had to do and pause the video… then never come back.
    I wear my lululemons like its my JOB. Everywhere, all the time.

Christine (The Raw Project) — April 29, 2011 at 4:03 pm

Agreed on TGIF! And we’re actually getting similar weather here! Very cool on the DVDs and love the pants!

1. Nope, I wouldn’t mind trying some though. Part of me wonders if they’re as good of a workout as my usual cardio/weight routine.
    2. Yay as an alternative to going to classes, cheaper and more of a flexible schedule and variety. But they require enough space which was a problem in our last house.
    3. My favorite are a pair of Nike running crops for staying cool and dry. Overall my workout clothing selection is pretty ratty and old, it’s been awhile since I’ve bought anything new beyond clearance tees at Target and a sports bra here and there. I rarely leave the house in workout clothes except when going for runs or races, but never to Target or Whole Foods.

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) — April 29, 2011 at 6:52 pm

I wear whatever is comfy to workout in. I have even worked out in my jammies. I don’t care, no one sees me! haha Comfort is important!!

Stephanie — April 29, 2011 at 11:40 pm

1. I love workout videos SO MUCH. Most of the time I like to just wing it, as you say, but that usually takes longer than working out with a video normally would, so 20 minutes on the elliptical turns into 40 minutes and a little bit of yoga turns into me sitting in child’s pose for much more time than I have.
    2. Definitely a yay. I feel weird being sweaty around people even if they’re sweaty, so having a home gym and space to do workout videos is such a blessing to me.
    3. I live in my lululemon gear, not gonna lie, or at least my lululemon pants. It’s only because I don’t really have jeans anymore (I still technically have them because I feel like I could use them for something. I’m not a hoarder, but I have this fear of throwing things out, or rather I feel guilty for throwing things out because I feel so wasteful. Agh. Hate it, and I have to get over it because unfortunately it’s a part of life) because there’s a huge hole in the knee and one of the belt loops ripped off (don’t buy J brand jeans. I had them for like, three months and this happened. The same thing happened to the last pair of jeans that I bought which were also J brand, and my friend had the same thing happen after three months to her J brand jeans. It sucks because they look SO good until they rip), and the only other pair of pants I have are skinny cargo pants, but I think I’m getting sick of them after wearing them almost every day all winter. So, lululemons it is. I swear I think I’ve gotten my money’s worth already what with how often I wear this stuff. I don’t mind.

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — April 30, 2011 at 1:52 pm

I use workout DVDs quite a bit. I love the 30 Day Shred.

Yogalifestyles — May 5, 2011 at 1:45 pm

I have one to recommend, if you enjoyed Shiva Rea, and would like to experience more of what this powerful and beautiful Yogi has to offer, this DVD is an intensive 3 hour long Vinyasa workout with her: http://www.yogalifestyle.com/DVACPowerFlowYoga.htm
    Have fun flowing with Shiva Rea!