Cheater’s Guacamole

Remember those locally grown avocados I received?  They ripened up just in time for Cinco de Mayo and I put them to use in “Cheater’s” Guacamole.

It’s hard to even call this a “recipe, and no one will ever suspect you didn’t hand slice and dice all your spices.

I’ve mentioned my guacamole recipe and called it “Cheater’s” Guac before, but figured the photo quality could use some sprucing up.  Plus, I had avocados to use up.

[print_this]

“Cheater’s” Guacamole

1 ripe avocado

1 tbsp lime juice (or lemon if that’s what you have on hand)

1 tbsp Mrs. Dash seasoning blend (I use the Griller’s Blend but use your fave or other seasoning blend, i.e TJs Salute Seasoning, McCormick seasonings, or old fashioned garlic, cumin, onions, cilantro, etc.)

1 tsp salt, or to taste

Directions:

Peel the avocado and scoop out the flesh.  Add all ingredients into a bowl, mash avocado with a fork, and stir/mash until everything is combined, while retaining some texture.  Serve immediately.

Notes & Tips: If you like chilled guacamole, take an already ripe avocado that’s been refrigerated in advance, and then make the guac.  However, don’t try to ripen avocados in the fridge.  They need to ripen on the countertop.

Avocados oxidize (turn brown) when exposed to air.  There is nothing you can do to avoid this entirely but lemon/lime juice helps.

Also, covering unused guac with plastic wrap that’s placed directly on the guac helps.

If you are only using half an avocado, keep the pit in the unused half to reduce oxidation.  I’ve also seen people put the whole pit into a bowl of prepared guac in order to reduce oxidation.  Being that this recipe takes one minute, it’s not the kind of thing you really need to “make in advance”.

[/print_this]

Lay out your very few ingredients.

Lime juice is probably preferred.  But if you have a cute baby Meyer lemon from the preschool teacher’s backyard tree, use that.

You won’t miss chopping all that garlic and raw onions.  I sure won’t.  I hate garlic and onions!

But in small doses like in the Mrs. Dash and in guacamole, I can embrace stinky veggies and spices.

Mash, mash. 30 seconds later your guac is ready.

Creamy and delicious.

Scott gave me two thumbs on on this one and that’s high praise coming from the man who “doesn’t like avocados”.

Really?  Because he sure liked this.

And Skylar loves guac, but she’s my 4 year old garbage disposal.  Here she is last summer out at a Mexican restaurant.

She’ll eat anything from chocolate kale chips to raw broccoli to peanut sauce baked tofu.

Chips + Guac = a perfect match for Cindo de Mayo or for summertime parties or just a great snack.

Embrace those healthy fats and get your guac on!

From my previous post about the Super Natural Everyday cookbook review, I am glad the book looked good you and I always enjoy hearing everyone’s cookbook finds and go-to books you can’t live without, too.

Most of all, it was great to read about who wants to write a book or cookbook.  I have no idea what the future holds for me.  As I said, I never say never. Fun to read about your plans, ideas, and goals, too.

If you’d prefer to use your avocados in a dessert recipe, you could try Raw Vegan Chocolate Mousse

You cannot “taste” the avocados.  Promise. It fools people, every time. And also is a 5 minute special.

1. Do you like guacamole?

But I also just love plain, sliced avocados on top of salads.   Creamy, rich, perfection.

2. How do you like to prepare your guacamole or do you buy store bought?

I never buy prepared guac in the plastic containers in the store.  Knowing what I know, too, about how fast avocados can oxidize, it’s a bit scary to me how they keep the guac in those containers so green!

It’s either full of green food coloring and/or tons of preservatives. I’m thinking there is just no other way.

I’ll make my own, thanks.  It only takes a minute after all!

3.  Any plans for Cinco de Mayo?

Being that I only live 10 minutes from the Mexican border and it’s 90F out right now (yes major heat wave!), I know that there will be massive fiestas around San Diego this week.

I live in the heart of a fun and hip part of town and the bars are already packed.  I can smell the fajitas wafting already.  The only thing left is to pour a cold drink or margarita!

However, I won’t be going out because I have to work.   Oh well.

Here we were last summer.  I’ll just enjoy these memories instead.

Happy Cinco de Mayo!

99 Responses to “Cheater’s Guacamole”

Jeanette — May 2, 2011 at 8:18 pm

I love fresh guacamole, so easy and delicious! Your daughter is adorable!!

Lauren @ Hungry Dancer — May 2, 2011 at 8:23 pm

Your photos are so amazing!!! I love guac and this recipe is so easy!! LOVE IT!!

Lauren — May 2, 2011 at 8:25 pm

Looks sooo good, I make mine the same way! Avocados are so naturally delicious, you don’t even miss all those other ingredients that are usually in guac! Beautiful photos as always!

DessertForTwo — May 2, 2011 at 8:29 pm

Hi Averie! I’ve missed you lately :)

I saw that you won Heidi’s cookbook. I have made tons of stuff from it already and I am absolutely in love. Dig in :)

Salah (My Healthiest Lifestyle) — May 2, 2011 at 8:43 pm

this post has me so excited for cinco de mayo….sooooo excited!

FoodFeud — May 2, 2011 at 8:44 pm

Guacamole is so great. My bf made a great version last year with raw corn that was delicious! I hadn’t been thinking about Cinco de Mayo but I will now!

Noya - gluttonandstudent — May 2, 2011 at 8:44 pm

ahh – your daughter is too cute!
    I love guacamole and I’m so ready to try your version, so I can eat it more often! If I’m REALLY lazy, I’ll just buy all-natural store bought and mix it with some all-natural pico de gallo and copious amounts of Tapatio.
    I will be celebrating Cinco de Mayo with TWO midterms!

Suzanne Williams — May 2, 2011 at 8:52 pm

Love avocados and love guacomole even more! Def going to try this and yes the pics add a lot. Makes me hungary now.
    Suzanne

hippierunner — May 2, 2011 at 9:16 pm

Yum!!!! Maybe this is boring but I like my guacamole to be just avocado, salt and lemon or lime. I like focusing on the avocado taste! I don’t like when there are like tomatoes and other things in it.

Heidi @ Food Doodles — May 2, 2011 at 9:28 pm

Yummy! My hubby saw your guac and told me I need to make some, haha. And I have avocados that are almost ready :D I usually like mixing in tomatoes and stuff into mine or at least on top so some people can eat them and others don’t if they don’t want to. I also usually wing it, haha. I also want to try your chocolate mousse. Maybe I’ll scale the recipe down, I think I’m the only one that will eat it, no one else really likes pudding type stuff.

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — May 2, 2011 at 10:00 pm

I love guacamole, and yours looks wonderful!!!

I have plans for a Mexican dinner for Cinco De Mayo :-)

Emily — May 2, 2011 at 10:10 pm

Yum! This is pretty much how I make my guac but I usually add a tablespoon of salsa or toss some chopped tomatoes in there as well!

megan @ the oatmeal diaries — May 2, 2011 at 10:41 pm

These photos are seriously GORGEOUS! I love how bright green guacamole is. And the fact that it tastes like heaven. I love it either with corn chips or on top of a big salad!

Maria Smith — May 2, 2011 at 11:01 pm

Love it simply… I am sure it tastes amazing.. i will surely try this.. :P

Rabihat — May 3, 2011 at 3:06 am

Yum Yum! I love avocado, it’s a healthy fruit too. If I’m not busy, I’ll surely try to make this Guacamole recipe at home. Nice photos :)

reid — May 3, 2011 at 3:17 am

Happy Cinco De Mayo!
    I’ll be working too, but it will be a fun work day-getting to take a trip!
    Thanks for all the great avocado recipes, I love your chocolate mousse recipe, better than any of the dairy-based ones I had as a kid.
    Enjoy that sunshine! :)

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — May 3rd, 2011 at 4:02 am

thanks, Reid for lmk you love the choc mousse better than dairy based ones…yep! that’s what I tell ppl too and they dont believe me til they try it :)

cathy — May 3, 2011 at 3:40 am

GREAT ez guac “recipe,” averie!
    i’ve never bought guac – like you say, so easy to prepare it from scratch, at home. i’ll take sliced avacado, plain, any day – love the texture and flavour. (and non garlic or onions, please, either!).
    cinco de mayo is not celebrated at all up here (the first time i heard of it was in aruba). i think we’re too far from the mexican border!
    have a great day!

Lauren — May 3, 2011 at 4:04 am

There is nothing more fresh and wonderful than homemade guacamole! This reminds me, I need to get some avocados!

Hannah — May 3, 2011 at 4:14 am

No way, this is pro-guacamole! Cheater’s guacamole would have to be the icky pureed stuff available at the supermarket. Look, you mashed and stirred! :P

The Preppy Vegan — May 3, 2011 at 4:20 am

Your food photography inspires me! This looks absolutely delicious. It’s Mexican week on my blog as well…I could make every week Mexican week and be pretty happy about it. So jealous of your Cinco de Mayo location!

Madeline - Greens and Jeans — May 3, 2011 at 4:44 am

I love guac! My brother is the guac master though, his guac gets better every time he makes it!

Abby — May 3, 2011 at 4:54 am

I eat a few avocados as week and suggest the Salt-Free Mrs. Dash in the Tequila Lime flavor. It’s very “Cinco de Mayo” and festive :)

Nicole @ Fresh & Fit — May 3, 2011 at 5:07 am

Your guac looks so good and simple! I’ll adding it to my Cinco de Mayo menu!

Shane — May 3, 2011 at 5:51 am

Great article. Any kinds of fruits and vegetables grown locally in the garden adds so much more to the meal. I’ve actually just loaded a post on my own site that shows some of the produce from my own garden, helped along with coffee compost.
    Keep up the great work on the site.

Holly @ The Runny Egg — May 3, 2011 at 5:59 am

I love your cheater’s guac recipe — and that baby lemon is so adorable!!!

For guac I usually just mash up an avocado and add a few TBSPs of salsa and mix together. Or, I’ll chop up some onion and a small tomato and mix that in instead. Honestly usually we just eat the mashed avocado and call that guac!

You know I love your choc mousse too — that recipe is the best!

Kate @ NaturaStride — May 3, 2011 at 6:22 am

MMMM. I’m not sure if there is anything better on this earth than homemade chunky guacamole!! I make it myself and will definitely be making some for cinco de mayo!
    Unfortunately I have a presentation for school on cinco de mayo, but I’ll be celebrating on Friday instead:)
    Thanks for the inspiration!

Andrea — May 3, 2011 at 6:28 am

Excellent pictures, as usual!

This past weekend I went to a place called Cedar Creek Falls (google it, it’s just south of Ramona, in San Diego) for a hike – it’s a 2 mile hike to a lagoon and waterfall that you can swim in…oh it’s amazing. On the way home, I saw a sign for 18 Haas avo’s for $5! Of course we had to stop, turned out the avo’s are all from Fallbrook and were excess (they’re out every day selling them though) from some farmers crop. Awesome! They were smaller than what you’d find at Vons, but the pits were smaller too…and shoot…18 for $5…I highly suggest you check the hike and the avo stand out! :)

Sorry you have to work on Thursday – you should do yourself a favor and make yourself a whole fruit margarita in the Vita! (Have you seen that recipe? It seriously makes the BEST margs)

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — May 3rd, 2011 at 12:45 pm

havent seen the recipe per se but I can imagine how to do it…would be delish!

your hiking trip sounds awesome and the 18 for $5….WOW!

McKella — May 3, 2011 at 6:49 am

I love anything to do with avocadoes! Whenever I make guac it’s always some sort of cheater recipe, whether it’s mixing avocado with a little salsa or mixing it with a little lime juice, cilantro and garlic salt. Quick, simple, delicious.

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg — May 3, 2011 at 7:03 am

Yum!! I don’t think there’s anything “cheater” about this guac!! :-D

Amanda — May 3, 2011 at 8:06 am

Averie, I have been following your blog for quite some time, but I have to tell you today that your pictures are looking more beautiful than ever! :)

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — May 3rd, 2011 at 12:47 pm

I know you have been reading for ages, and thank you, so much for the compliments and for reading :)

Beth — May 3, 2011 at 8:06 am

I’ve got some avocados on my counter just begging to be used. Think I’ll use 2 for making some Guac that I can eat with Mary’s Crackers. And then use the other 2 for chocolate avo mousse. Yum!

When I can find some great cilantro at the store, I toss it on top of my guac.

I won’t be celebrating Cinco de Mayo, but as it happens I will be getting my legs waxed that day. Maybe the weather will cooperate and warm up a bit ;)

Amber K — May 3, 2011 at 8:10 am

What’s funny is that I love avocado in smoothies, I love your raw chocolate mousse, I love guacamole, but I don’t like avocados by themselves. Like at all. Their taste and texture is just weird plain!

No plans for Cinco de Mayo, although I should make some guac!

Krista — May 3, 2011 at 9:10 am

I was thinking of your beautiful avacados as I shelled out $1.27 for ONE grocery shopping last night! OUCH! But we do love guac and I always make my own…..

Erica — May 3, 2011 at 9:21 am

YUM! Love guac! I sometimes make it full out & sometimes just mix mashed avocado with salsa. Your pictures are beautiful! And I like the idea of your cheaters version. I’m not sure what we’re going to do for Cinco? Originally I was planning to just cook at home, but Josh’s mom has to come stay with us for the remainder of the work week to do somethings in the area…so maybe we’ll go out?

Heather (Where's the Beach) — May 3, 2011 at 10:06 am

While I don’t care for guac, I can really appreciate a non-recipe recipe! No plans for the 5th. Just working and working out, typical day.

Char — May 3, 2011 at 10:06 am

Love your little girl’s long hair!! What restaurant were you at where the pics were taken? I’ve only been to San Diego once, and I loved it!

Sabina — May 3, 2011 at 10:25 am

Hey Averie!

I just noticed something! In your last pic, you have your new tattoo blurred out (I remember looking forward to finally seeing it in its entirety!!) but you also blurred out the faces of the strangers around you, which is super-duper-considerate. I appreciate the respect that you show to strangers in your pics and also that you show Scott, with his wish to not be visibly identifiable. kudos!

xo

Sabina

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — May 3rd, 2011 at 12:50 pm

It was a recycled photo that was taken during the interim of when my tattoo was healing before I wanted to reveal it to the world.

And I try not to “out” strangers who were sitting at a bar in the middle of the day on my blog :) They may not really enjoy that…haha!

LeslieGoldman — May 3, 2011 at 10:37 am

Mrs Dash is a fairly brilliant idea! I uually just mash up the ‘cado with tomato, onions, salt and pepper and call it a day. Avocados are so insanely good on their own, there’s not much you can do to mess ‘em up, ya know?

Daniella @ Runner at Heart — May 3, 2011 at 10:37 am

That guacamole looks delicious and super easy. I am having my family over on Sunday this just got added to the menu!

Lauren@LittleYellowKitchen — May 3, 2011 at 10:43 am

Look great Averie! I adooore guacamole. I’ll have to try it w/ lemon, I usually use limes but this is mouth watering. Mmm

Jen — May 3, 2011 at 11:11 am

I love me some guac! It totally freaks me out how they keep it green in the containers; ya know what else totally skeeves me out? Pre-sliced, packaged apple slices. How??
    I make homemade guac all the time, but it’s always different, different spices each time and always delicious; i’m convinced it can’t be screwed up!

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit — May 3, 2011 at 11:12 am

o!o!o! I know how to prevent oxidization! When you’re done with your guac, put it in a glass container that has a tight lid – I LOVE mason jars for this. Then, before you put the lid on, drape the guac with plastic wrap and push the plastic wrap onto the guac… make sure it’s nicely tucked on there. Then, put on a second layer of plastic wrap but don’t push it down on the guac, just leave it there. Then, screw the lid on. That baby’ll stay nice and green for AT LEAST 2-3 days. boooshaka.

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) — May 3, 2011 at 11:21 am

Looooove guac! I need to get some fresh avocados right away!! That’s awesome that Skylar isn’t a picky eater! I was the same way… I liked almost everything, haha.

Cinco de Mayo is our anniversary, so we’re going to do things. I’m looking forward to eating Mexican all week as an excuse. :D YUM!

Jenny (Fit Girl Foodie) — May 3, 2011 at 11:52 am

Mmm this is great for cinco de Mayo! Guacamole is the perfect dip

Stephanie — May 3, 2011 at 12:39 pm

Yes more acocado ideas!! I’m all over this :D

Katelyn (new kid on the vegan block) — May 3, 2011 at 1:35 pm

I love guac. I use the Simply Organic guac mix for my ‘cheaters’ recipe. It’s seriously amazing – I put it on everything!! Popcorn, lentils, veggies. I think I’m addicted to it…

Christine (The Raw Project) — May 3, 2011 at 3:14 pm

Great guac recipe, very simple. And thanks for reminding me I need to make avocado mousse again. :-)

1. Yes and in dangerous quantity.
    2. I like to prepare it because it tastes fresher, I can lighten it up a bit and up the spices.
    3. Maybe, we’ll see.

Marcia @Frugal Healthy Simple — May 3, 2011 at 7:32 pm

I eat avocado in any way, shape or form. My boss has a home in San Diego, and he owns an avocado orchard. So we benefit. Salad, sandwiches, burritos…any way.

Guac: mix with garlic powder and salsa. Either a little sour cream or lime juice to keep it from turning brown.

Amy @ FitMommas — May 3, 2011 at 8:53 pm

Do I love Guac? Are there people that don’t?

Just whipped up a homemade batch tonight (it IS Taco Tuesday, you know!).
    Avocado, half a lime, half a small onion, salt, pepper, cumin. De-Lish!

I’m with you, I don’t know how companies keep theirs green, so it’s probably best I make my own. Plus, it tastes better.

My stepdaughter’s birthday is Cinco de Mayo…so we do whatever she wants!

lynn @ the actor's diet — May 3, 2011 at 9:31 pm

i like my guac super simple too – just lemon juice, salt and pepper