Vanilla Iced Coffee

I love iced coffee.

I could chug it until I get the shakes.

And sometimes I even do.  Both chug it AND get the shakes.

But it’s well worth the jitter fingers.

My method & “recipe” for making Iced Coffee:

Brew coffee as usual

Drink all the hot coffee you want and take whatever is left over and put that in the refrigerator.  That becomes tomorrow’s chilled coffee for iced coffee.

I don’t recommend making iced coffee with freshly brewed hot coffee.  I do it in a pinch but the hot coffee melts the ice, it gets watered down, and it’s not ideal.

You can also add excess coffee to ice cube trays and freeze.  The resulting iced coffee cubes are excellent to use as the ice for iced coffee.

I never just pour extra coffee down the sink.  It either becomes iced-coffee-coffee or iced-coffee-cubes.

Take the sufficiently chilled/refrigerated coffee, add ice to it.

Add any of the following is of interest to you (or none of this):

milks: half and half, milk, nut milk, flavored creamers (I have previously discussed my love of Coffeemate French Vanilla)

sweeteners: stevia, liquid stevia (I find that liquid stevia is far superior to powdered stevia when working with cold beverages) and NuNaturals Vanilla Stevia Drops are my go-to; real sugar (however there can be dissolving issues whereas “artificial” sweeteners like Splenda, Equal, Sweet ‘n Low will dissolve much better); or use a simple syrup (i.e. 1 part sugar to 1 part water dissolved in boiling water), honey, or agave.

others: vanilla/hazelnut/almond/cocoa bean extract, vanilla bean scrapings, cinnamon

dessert-like iced coffee: cocoa powder, whipped cream/Cool Whip, chocolate sprinkles, chocolate or caramel sauce drizzles on top or lining your cup with chocolate or caramel sauce first

I use lots of French Vanilla Coffeemate, a splash of half & half, and a few drops of NuNaturals Vanilla Stevia drops.

Some people shake the whole mixture up in something like a Blender Bottle or a martini shaker or by inverting an empty glass over the top of the full glass with the coffee + ice cubes, but I just stir with a spoon or my straw.

I have to have a straw for iced coffees!

I love the local coffee in Aruba.

I can drink it hot…

…or cold.

I can suck one of these down in a hurry.  Times two.

I love coffee, in general.

I’ve reviewed dozens of coffee brands

…from TJ’s

to Starbucks

to flavored Smores Coffee

Lots of coffee reviews here

And I’ve posted about Caffeine AddictionOh well. But I do love coffee, caffeine and all.

I came up with a Vegan Caramel Macchiato recipe because I was sick of paying for them!  Very pricey little habits at Starbucks, and those aren’t vegan, of course. Even if you don’t have an espresso maker, brew some strong coffee, buy a cheapie milk frother, add your caramel sauce and you’re done.

Vegan Caramel Macchiato

106 Responses to “Vanilla Iced Coffee”

Robin — May 27, 2011 at 3:00 pm

I do love coffee! And I like mine pretty strong. I don’t use sugar, but I do need nondairy creamer or milk. I make the coffee ice cubes, too. I hate watered-down iced coffee. Now I want some!

Felicia (Natural + Balanced) — May 27, 2011 at 3:59 pm

stevia is the besttt in iced coffee!

Kim — May 27, 2011 at 5:42 pm

I LOVE ICED COFFEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    YUM!

Picky Nicky — May 27, 2011 at 5:57 pm

I had no idea you were a coffee lover like myself :) :) The thing I love about iced coffee is that I CAN CHUG IT <3 The faster I can get it down, the more time I have to drink more!

Amanda K — May 27, 2011 at 7:05 pm

Best way to drink iced coffee?
    Put the cold coffee, some ice cubes, and a scoop of vanilla protein powder in a blender.
    It tastes just as good as a frappuccino from starbucks to me except it actually has some nutritional value

K @ funinphotos — May 27, 2011 at 7:18 pm

I absolutely love coffee. It has to be iced though. I can’t stand hot coffee for some reason, it just doesn’t compare to cold coffee!

Christine (The Raw Project) — May 27, 2011 at 7:52 pm

Yum, the coffee sounds wonderful!

1. Yes, usually what ever whole beans are on sale at Costco and Trader Joe’s.
    2. With vanilla or chocolate hemp milk and a little stevia.
    3. Yes and I need to try cold compressed coffee soon – yum!

Jaclyn — May 27, 2011 at 10:38 pm

My coffee: Iced (especially in the summer months!) americano or regular iced coffee sometimes with a splash of soy and tiny drizzle of agave, sometimes w/o… but lately i have been using this coconut milk creamer – just a little goes a long way – it’s hazelnut flavored and pretty good – i liked the vanilla one more though!

I just won a stevias naturals giveaway, they are waiting for me at home, i will have to try this with it!

Michele Sparrow — May 27, 2011 at 10:46 pm

I love coffee…so much. I drink Papua New Guinea Organic coffee every morning and I brew it by the cup so that it is strong and really hot. I like my coffee scalding hot and I add a bit of unsweetened organic soymilk to it. It is the best. I drink 2 of those every morning. Later in the day if I want a cup of coffee, sometimes I do cold and I always add the NuNaturals Vanilla Stevia to it then. For me, iced coffee HAS to be sweet. Love your post about blogging! Even though I am not a blogger, I love to read them and your post was good stuff! :-)

Katie — May 27, 2011 at 10:54 pm

Black coffee. no sweetener. hot or cold. i almost went all day without any, but I ended up stopping on the drive home from the canyon to get some. First iced coffee of the season with many more to come.

have you ever cold brewed iced coffee? I like it a lot better, though I use both your methods above too.

Colleen — May 28, 2011 at 8:30 am

That iced coffee looks delicious! My mom is so awful at making coffee at home, it is as thin as water and tastes like battery acid… but when I get good iced coffee (no black! so bitter.) I savor it :) and coffee ice cubes is genius!!

coffee — May 28, 2011 at 10:03 am

real iced coffee is fantastic coffee. it has different taste than the other coffee.i love so much iced coffee.

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — May 28, 2011 at 10:59 pm

I don’t like cold or iced coffees, but I do like coffee slushes.

pam — September 29, 2011 at 8:40 pm

I’m a peetnik too…I have them mapped out all around SD. I have an espresso machine and it gets lots of attention from me. I went to Ashland OR and Reno NV this summer and got turned on to 2 totally delicious independent coffee shops, The Mix in Or and The Hub in Reno. They make cool designs on ur drink with the steamed milk. New fave espresso bean brand is Black Cat. Do u know of any good independent coffee shops in SD? Also, do u have luck with steaming almond milk with the espresso steam wand?

Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga — September 29, 2011 at 8:44 pm

do u have luck with steaming almond milk with the espresso steam wand? = moderate, yes but I dont use my espresso maker much anymore. one of those things i need to dust off

independent coffee shops…All over University Hts, Normal Hts, Hillcrest, i.e. Adams Ave, University, Washington, there are so many!

Katie @BestHealthFoodsList — November 7, 2011 at 7:33 pm

This is the best stuff in the world right there. thanks for the post!

Vita @ Juicer Depot — July 9, 2012 at 8:36 am

Great idea putting the coffee in the fridge and making it iced coffee. I have to do decaf though. I become a nervouse wreck when i do caffine.

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — July 9th, 2012 at 9:31 am

I never throw away my old coffee–just put it in a pitcher or container and it’s iced coffee. EASY!

Julie — August 15, 2012 at 9:30 pm

I drink coffee everyday and some kind of tea

Julie — August 15, 2012 at 9:32 pm

I drink coffee everyday and some kind of tea lately moroccan mint and taro passion

CassiLynn — September 19, 2012 at 1:24 pm

*I love Iced Coffee*with Vanilla Sweetener*or Hazelnut*I seriously have like 2 a day*It’s the best pick-me-up!*I drink it anytime of day*I’m so used to it that the caffeine doesn’t bother me*One recipe that I really like*is almond milk with iced coffee cubes*it’s delicious!!!*

Shannon in Dallas — June 3, 2013 at 9:22 am

I have a Keurig. I never tried making iced coffee until I read this post. I’m hooked! I never like the kind you buy either.