Flourless Peanut Butter Cookies

I am so excited to finally reveal this post!

I’ve had this post written for about 3 weeks.

Since even before my photography trip to Mexico City

And even before I announced that we were moving

And before we moved into our new house this past week.

These cookies are long gone.

But they are such great little memories.

Must.make.more.

Step-by-step photos:

Combine everything in one bowl

Look at all that glorious peanut butter!

Stir to combine

The dough will be sticky but workable.

It seems like a sticky blob and I thought I was going to have peanut butter everywhere and it would be really hard to work with but all was well.  Something about the oil in the peanut butter plus the sugar seemed to keep the dough from being un-workable or too messy.

If it really does seem too messy, I’d add a tablespoon or two extra of sugar to soak up the sticky + moisture factor.

Roll dough into balls or drop onto a cookie sheet with a spoon.

Or, if you want to refrigerate the dough for 15 minutes or so before you roll the balls, great.  But I didn’t bother.

Lightly press the tops with a fork.

But don’t squeeze the Charmin too much and flatten them into little pancakes.

I like this picture.  And I like raw dough balls.

Sprinkle with a pinch each of brown and white sugar.

Bake and allow to cool.

I had read on various websites with similar recipes that they don’t really spread much at all.  Mine actually did spread a bit, so keep that in mind.

Impress everyone with how easy these are and how good they taste!

The active prep time on these is about 2 minutes to make the batter and about 8 minutes to roll into balls.

So 10 minutes of work

10 minutes to bake

And in 20 minutes you can be chomping away.

It’s the simple things in life like cookies that just make me so happy.

And bonus to the extremely minimal amount of cleanup and dishes.  One bowl.  Love it.

The taste is full of peanut butter flavor and full-bodied.

You definitely know you’re eating a peanut butter cookie and not a sugar cookie which is the problem with lots of peanut butter cookies, I find.

Most cookies are not peanut buttery enough for my liking but these are full-bodied peanut butter flavor for all PB fiends like me.

They are rich and satisfying.  Not some little light airy cookie.

I can feel just a little oil from the peanut butter on my lips when I eat them.  <– To me, that’s a turn on.  Means they’re full of good.stuff.  Like 1 cup of PB!

You can just see by looking at the center of the cookies that they are going to be moist.  I always look at cookie centers to see if they are a touch under-baked and moist looking.

And because of all that PB, they’re not dry.  I despise dry cookies and baked goods.  Not worth my chew. These are anything but dry.

[print_this]

Flourless Peanut Butter Cookies (Gluten Free, with Vegan Option)

3/4 c white sugar

1/4 c brown sugar, packed

1 c peanut butter

1 egg (replace real egg by combining 1 tbsp ground flax seeds + 3 tbsp warm water in a small bowl and stirring.  Allow a “jelly” to form after a few minutes and use this as your “egg”)

1/2 tsp vanilla extract

Combine all ingredients in one bowl and stir by hand with a spoon.

Directions:

Form into 1 inch balls (I rolled mine with my hands but you could just drop them on a cookie sheet with a spoon) and place on cookie sheet (I used parchment-lined for easy cleanup).

Optional: Lightly press each ball with a fork to make criss-cross patterns

Dust each cookie with a pinch of white and brown sugar before baking

Bake at 350F for 10 minutes or until barely browned.  They can go from raw to burned in about 90 seconds so watch them.

Allow to cool well and they may not look very well done after 10 minutes, but that’s ok.  Take them out of the oven anyway and allow them to cool.

Yields 18 cookies (mine were a bit thin and farily small.  Reducing to 12-15 thicker/bigger cookies may work even better which I will try next time)

Edited to add January 2013: There is an updated (and even better) version of these cookies Peanut Butter Chocolate Chunk Cookies (gluten-free) – My new favorite Peanut Butter Cookie recipe

[/print_this]

Related Recipes:

If you love peanut butter as much as I do, you may want to check out my Peanut Butter Recipes compilation post

Including 2 Minute Peanut Sauce + Raw Vegan Spring Rolls

Raw Vegan Peanut Butter Cups

No Bake Nutella & Peanut Butter Graham Bars with Chocolate Frosting

Do you like peanut butter cookies?

I have Raw Vegan Peanut Butter Cookie Dough Balls

Peanut Butter Caramel Chocolate Chip Cookies with Peanut Flour (Vegan, GF)

And all the peanut butters recipes and ideas linked in one place.

Yes, I really love peanut butter cookies!

142 Responses to “Flourless Peanut Butter Cookies”

Naomi(onefitfoodie) — July 18, 2011 at 3:17 pm

um could those cookies BE any easier to make?! I think not! they look so good and rich and delicious!

best thing I ate this weekend was this aamzing whole wheat wrap with roasted veggies, fresh mozz and grilled chicken from this swanky little hotel at boston while sitting outside overlooking the water! it was just perfect!

Rachel @ Eats, Sweats, Peas — July 18, 2011 at 3:27 pm

I was looking at those thinking “they look soooo good, but I can’t eat ‘em.” Then (duh!) I read the flourless part, lol. YOU JUST MADE MY DAY!!! :D Making those babies A.S.A.P.!!

Ela — July 18, 2011 at 5:54 pm

That sounds like a great recipe–so simple! I loved all your step by step photos too, especially the dough balls spaced out on the cookie sheet–that’s an easy one to get wrong, especially if you only have a tiny toaster oven, like I do.

I’m not a big pb fan but everyone I cook for is, so I’ll most likely try this out. Love the idea of a ‘secret recipe club!’

Do you really do 3tb flax seeds to 1 tb water for a flax egg? I’ve always seen it as 1tb flax to 3 tb water, and that’s what I’ve always done. But maybe this way gets more gloopy?
    Thanks! :)

Miss Meghan @ scratch-made wife — July 18, 2011 at 6:15 pm

I’m not sure why the words “flourless cookies” always sound interesting to me, but they do. I’m just dying to make cookies sans flour. Silly, right? Your cookies look almost too good to be true. I’d eat ‘em up in an evening, I’m sure! And I’m absolutely hooked on that natural peanut butter. Don’t you just love how you don’t have to stir it? Mmmm. Thanks for such a beautiful post!

Eliot — July 18, 2011 at 6:27 pm

Finally, I can comment on your site! Since I was your “secret pal” from SRC, I forced myself not to comment until today. These cookies are so cute. I am sure they didn’t last long. I had a great time checking out your recipes and blog! (I tried your roasted chickpeas as well—yummy!) Thanks for the great caramel sauce recipe which is now in my repertoire. (If anyone wants to see my Secret Recipe Club Post on Averie’s Caramel Sauce, click here: http://eliotseats.com/?p=4496. Glad we could become SRC pals!

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — July 18th, 2011 at 6:30 pm

Awww, thank you so much for saying hi!!! :)

I forced myself not to comment on the blog who I was given, too! Like I didnt want to raise any eyebrows…not like it would have, but I was just being overly cautious too :)

You tried the roasted chickpeas too? Oh those are FAVE of mine. My tummy & beans dont get along all that well but those are…worth it! haha!

And you did SUCH a great job on the caramel sauce. Don’t be a stranger, ok! :)

Alicia — July 18, 2011 at 6:40 pm

Just made these! SOOO yummy. Mine expanded like yours and I got a lot out of it. Thanks so much Averie!!

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — July 18th, 2011 at 7:36 pm

THAT was FAST! Thanks for the report back and noting the expansion. I’ve since been told if you refrigerate the dough, they won’t expand as much.

• Alicia replied: — July 18th, 2011 at 8:12 pm

Ha refrigerate… yea right, theres NO WAY I could wait! :)

Shelby — July 18, 2011 at 6:47 pm

these look yummy and I know they are because I have made them too! Great photos!

Jeanie — July 18, 2011 at 8:08 pm

They just seem too simple to be that pretty. I’m totally making them. PB is how we survive in this joint.

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) — July 18, 2011 at 9:06 pm

You are not going to believe this — or maybe you will — but I swear I have been daydreaming about soft, chewy, almost fudge-like peanut butter cookies ALL WEEK! I kid you not. And here they are. !! I almost made some the other day but it was too warm. How crazy is that?! Now I can’t make them and blog about them, haha. :( Or maybe I’ll figure something out. You know how I’ve been dabbling with gluten- and grain-free, well, PB cookies are one of the easiest flourless cookies to make, so that’s what got me thinking. I may have to try something anyway! We are always thinking the same way, only you’re like 72 hours ahead of me, LOL.

Those cookies look PERFECT! I love this recipe AND the pictures are gorgeous. Tell me they all got accepted, because they all deserve to be! :D Ok, just checked your FG gallery and I see them. YAY!

Lynne @ 365 Days of Baking — July 19, 2011 at 9:39 am

Averie, great job on the cookies and pictures! It’s been so much fun doing the SRC, trying new recipes and making new friends. I look forward to doing it for many months to come.
    Hope you’re getting settled!

Lisa~~ — July 19, 2011 at 10:31 am

These look wonderful and so easy, I think I’ll make them with my daughter this week.

If you haven’t already, I’d love for you to check out my SRC recipe this month: Holy Guacamole.

Lisa~~
    Cook Lisa Cook

sonia @ master of her romaine — July 19, 2011 at 11:55 am

those look amazing!! I love the all of the pictures, especially the stacked up ones!
    And I love that you are not afraid to post a recipe with egg in it (:

Mrs. Jen B — July 22, 2011 at 11:54 am

These are absolutely gorgeous cookies. I am so glad you chose this recipe so I can make them for myself! :)

Crystal — November 20, 2011 at 4:37 pm

Do you think I could mix mini chocolate chips into the dough and bake these? I haven’t tried making these yet, but they look perfect for a GF friend of mine (and easy!)….I may just make them without chocolate :)

Lauren — December 26, 2011 at 9:30 am

these are cookies even a nervous maker like me could make (I think). They look great.

Kristie — January 4, 2012 at 11:55 am

Averie I am OBSESSED with all your recipes and these cookies look amazing. I love your philosophy on dessert- simplicity rocks! I want your bod and I want your food, but I don’t think I could ever have both together :(

Anyway quick question, obviously peanut butter and the Vitamix are two staples in your kitchen but I’ve never heard of you making your own peanut (or any nut) butter with the Vitamix…why is that? I have yet to try making homemade peanut butter in my Vita and wanted to hear your opinion before doing so.

Have a great day and thanks for all the inspiration!! xxoo

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — January 4th, 2012 at 1:50 pm

Peanuts, like all nuts, can be expensive to buy ounce for ounce compared with regular peanut butter and the WORK involved in making it, cleanup, the noise..there are sometimes where although I am cheap and frugal, $2.99 on a jar of storebought PB is wayyyyy money and time ahead :)

Chelsea — January 7, 2012 at 2:47 pm

These cookies are fantastic – I chose the vegan option – I have never been a huge fan of peanut butter cookies only because they always tasted more like peanut-flavored cookie – I could always taste the flour in them. I am newly vegan and also working my way toward gluten free – my bf is both already (it’s changed his life) – so I made these for him on his birthday. I didn’t have a lot of time and these were EXACTLY what I was looking for. Simple, sweet, crunchy, chewy, peanut buttery and just REALLY good. He loved them! I’m bringing some into work tonight – not even going to mention they are vegan/GF – people get all freaked out about it.

The only thing I did a little differently was I used organic white and brown sugar and I rolled and flattened them in the white sugar before baking – I also lowered the temp of the oven to 300 and baked for 12-15 minutes..I was afraid of hard cookies – but not sure it would have mattered.

Lyn — March 4, 2012 at 12:52 pm

Just made these cookies…Fantastic! My husband is a Vegan and PB nut so they were a big hit in my family! I have “pinned” several of your recipes and can’t wait to try.

Randa — June 17, 2012 at 1:54 pm

Sorry if someone already asked this… any idea if raw honey would sub for the sugar well? We are off sugar but love the simplicity of this. If you haven’t tried honey, I may need to just try a half-batch and let you know.

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — June 17th, 2012 at 4:50 pm

The issue is that because of the simplicity, the sugar plays a role to bind the dough and honey is going to be a soupy mess I fear in the oven. You could try it but I have a feeling the cookies will go flat and spread on you. You could trying using brown sugar rather than white if that’s better for your dietary needs…

luv what you do — June 17, 2012 at 7:35 pm

Just made these cookies and my whole family loved them!
    They were the hit of our Fathers Day BBQ!

Great recipe that I will be blogging about and sharing!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — June 17th, 2012 at 7:37 pm

Oh I am so happy to hear about that…that they were the hit of the bbq! Love comments like this and love that you had such great results :)

The Sweet Prima Donna-Brooke B. — August 8, 2012 at 2:29 pm

Your cookies look scrumptious! I recently made these, but a lower fat version using better n’ butter for part of the pb in the recipe. I thought it was only my cookies that were super small before baking, but yours look just like mine did! Makes me feel better about my recipe! Thanks for sharing. (: If you’d like to check out my recipe for the lower fat version of flourless pb cookies the link is: http://thesweetprimadonna.com/2012/08/08/skinny-soft-chewy-peanut-butter-cookies-65-calories-per-cookie-vegan-friendly/

Alicia mike — October 11, 2012 at 9:41 pm

Thank you for your delitious recipies ,very apretiate. Love to you.

Christy@SweetandSavoring — October 13, 2012 at 5:50 pm

Okay, so I made these today and thought initially that they were a disaster- They barely spread out at all and were still super soft when I took them out of the oven (like you said!). But they cooled and were so moist and flavorful, plus they got rave reviews from my friends!

A couple alterations though: I cut back on the sugar a tad, used a whole tsp of vanilla, and added in 1 tsp of cocoa powder :) It was nice to have something I could serve for my vegan *and* gluten-free friends,

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — October 13th, 2012 at 5:58 pm

If you like chocolate and want a vegan cookie that’s similar to these, try these – super chocolaty!

Glad they worked out for you and yes, not overbaking is key. One reason yours spread less is b/c in such a limited-ingredients recipe, each item, in the ratio and amount called, is very, very critical. Sugar causes cookies to spread while baking AND cocoa powder causes them not to. So you did TWO things that would reduce their spreading ability…but sounds like they still worked! Good! :)

Zo @ Two Spoons — January 27, 2013 at 3:49 am

Just made these with a chia egg, 1/2 tsp baking soda, and a little less sugar. Turned out wonderfully, thank you!

Alyssa Mazzella — February 26, 2013 at 9:46 am

Love this recipe! I added chocolate chips to it and they were a huge hit with the husband and at the office! I’ll be posting this recipe on my blog (of course giving our credit!) thanks for the amazing recipes!

Katherine — March 16, 2013 at 1:50 pm

I made these today after a morning run and light yoga. Best.Cookies,Ever. I can’t believe I’ve just stumbled upon your website! Veggies, yoga, AND peanut butter recipes? This may be true love at first site! Thank you for the fantastic recipe :)

Fabiola — June 12, 2013 at 3:43 pm

Is it ok to use honey instead of sugar? would that make an even healthier version?

• Averie Sunshine replied: — June 12th, 2013 at 5:13 pm

I think the cookies will be very prone to spreading if you use honey. If you try it, LMK!

Sabrina — December 19, 2013 at 6:41 pm

just made these- my entire house is filled with the most delicious PB smell.
    and mmm are these good, so nutty and sweet. the perfect cookie!

• Averie Sunshine replied: — December 19th, 2013 at 7:17 pm

Oh I’m so glad you deem them to be the perfect cookie!

Melissa — January 3, 2014 at 3:56 am

Can I use coconut sugar instead of sugar?

• Averie Sunshine replied: — January 3rd, 2014 at 3:57 am

Ive never tried it but LMK what happens.

Ashleigh Gaunt — March 3, 2014 at 4:02 pm

Averie, do you have any idea how these would tuen out if I subbed Sugar Twin brown sugar and Splenda granules for the 2 sugars? We are trying to “go low carb” and my sweet tooth is DYING for dessert!!!

• Averie Sunshine replied: — March 3rd, 2014 at 5:52 pm

I really don’t know because there’s no flour and so not sure how those sugars will interact with the PB…they could make the dough turn super runny OR…they may not. Try it! You have nothing other than a cup of PB and an egg to lose! LMK what happens!