Flourless Chocolate Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies

Today is the big reveal day for the August posts for the Secret Recipe Club

And these fugdy, chewy, very chocolatey chocolate cookies

with hints of peanut butter undertones

are what I am really excited to reveal!

Last month, I made Flourless Peanut Butter Cookies

Many of you have written to me to tell me that you’ve made these and you love the simplicity of the recipe and that the full-bodied peanut butter flavor has you hooked and you’re never going back to traditional PB cookies.  Me either!

But I think you’ll be very happy with my enhanced version, i.e. chocolate is added in two forms

Because isn’t everything better with a little enhancing?

I think so.

This month, I was assigned the blog Not Rachel Ray and when I saw she had made Flourless Chocolate Cookies using Lori the Recipe Girl’s recipe (as an aside Lori is a fellow San Diego area blogger and she hosted an awesome party I attended a few weeks ago)

I knew I wanted to take a stab at Flourless Chocolate Cookies.

I adapted my own Flourless Peanut Butter Cookie recipe and this is what I came up with.

I’m pretty sure you won’t have problems with leftovers on your hands.

[print_this]

Flourless Chocolate Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies (Naturally Gluten Free, with Vegan Option.  Adapted from my own Flourless Peanut Butter Cookie Recipe)

3/4 c white sugar

1/4 c brown sugar, packed

1/2 c cocoa powder, unsweetened

1 c peanut butter

1 egg (replace real egg by combining 1 tbsp ground flax seeds + 3 tbsp warm water in a small bowl and stirring.  Allow a “jelly” to form after a few minutes and use this as your “egg”)

1 tsp vanilla extract

1/2 c to 3/4 chocolate chips (or peanut butter chips, white chocolate chips, butterscotch chips) & stir to combine

Directions:

Combine all ingredients except the chocolate chips in one bowl and stir by hand with a spoon.

After all ingredients are incorporated stir in the chocolate chips

At this point you have the option to place the dough in the freezer for 10-15 minutes.  Cold dough will create puffier/thicker cookies vs. thinner/flatter cookies during the baking process.  It will also help with the rolling out/ball-forming process but it’s optional if you’re in a hurry.

Form into 1 inch balls (I rolled mine with my hands but you could just drop them on a cookie sheet with a spoon) and place on cookie sheet (I used parchment-lined + lightly sprayed with cooking spray for easy cleanup).

Bake at 350F for 10 to 12 minutes or until they barely look done.  They can go from raw to burned in about 90 seconds so watch them but know that because they are dark cookies, visuals may be tricky.

They may not look done after 10-12 minutes, but that’s ok.  Take them out of the oven anyway and allow them to cool.

Yields 24 cookies (Mine were fairly small.  Reducing to 12-18 bigger cookies is an option and adjust baking time accordingly)

[/print_this]

A Visual Guide:

Gather your ingredients

Add everything into one bowl except the chocolate chips.

I kept the dry ingredients at the bottom and then put the wet ingredients on top because I wanted a dry ingredients “bed” for the PB but I’m sure it doesn’t matter.  I wouldn’t want to waste a drop of PB by having it get stuck to bottom the bowl.

Stir to combine all the ingredients, then add the chocolate chips, and stir those in.

Dough will be very thick and it looks sticky and quite un-workable, but the fat in the peanut butter keeps the dough together and less sticky than you’d imagine.

Freeze your mixing bowl with the dough in it for 10-15 minutes before rolling out the balls.

Or, simply roll immediately if you’re impatient and don’t want to chill the dough.

Note: warmer dough will produce flatter and crisper cookies; colder dough will produce puffier and chewier cookies

Bake for 10-12 minutes or until they are barely done looking.

I like chewy, gooey, half-baked cookies so I was a 10 minute girl

Allow them to cool for as long as you can stand it

Devour

The beauty of these cookies are that:

they only take 2 minutes to mix up the dough

no electric mixer required & you can do it all by hand

minimal cleanup/dishes (I hate baking projects where you dirty every dish in your kitchen!)

naturally GF and very easily adapted to be vegan

and they will make all chocaholics very happy.

The cold dough really dis make a difference in the finished product.

The flourless chococlate cookies are really puffy compared to my previous flourless peanut butter cookies which I baked with warm dough on a warm day.

These cookies are perfectly chewy

And not dry.  <– Dry baked goods are not worth my chew!

In terms of flavor, these are definitely chocolate cookies that have been enhanced with peanut butter

If you want more of a peanut buttery flavor, scale back the cocoa powder

Or just make these and add chocolate chips

But if you want to get your chocolate on, today’s cookies are for you.

And they’re small.  So grab a few.

And if for some reason you want to stuff candy bars in your cookies, try Snickers Bar Stuffed Chocolate Chip Cookies

Feel free to stuff just about any kind of candy bar in these, too

Want to see what other people in the Secret Recipe Club made this month?

1. What’s your favorite cookie?

My favorite cookies are half-baked, ooey-gooey, not dry.  And if a cookie is properly baked and the flavors are balanced, I can appreciate just about any kind of cookie from chocolate chip to peanut butter cookies to snickerdoodle to molasses.

Ironically one cookie that tends to bore me are sugar cookies.  And I love sugar!  But they are usually too overbaked, too crispy, too dry, and the monotone flavor is boring for me.  I created raw vegan sugar cookie dough bites though, and they’re not dry or boring.  Promise.

I also really like texture which is why oatmeal raisin cookie with their chunky oats, raisins, and brown sugar are always a hit with me.  The raw vegan oatmeal raisin cookies here are so easy, too.  No oven required.

2. Can anything ever be too chocolatey?  Too dark or intense?

I think not!

Just like I said nothing can ever be too rich or too sweet when I was talking about these

White Chocolate Vanilla Marshmallow Cake Bars – 4 Layers

Nothing can ever be too chocolatey or too dark.

I’d rather skip “milk” chocolate and either do white or dark chocolate, actually.

These cookies are more of dark chocolate meets hint of peanut butter.

I love sweet, white chocolate but I also love rich, full-bodied dark chocolate, too.

P.S. If you’re just catching up on posts from the weekend, here are mine since Friday:

Have a great week!

120 Responses to “Flourless Chocolate Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies”

amy — August 27, 2011 at 9:26 am

Looks great! SCR is turning out to be lots of fun — so many new recipes to try!

Juliette — August 27, 2011 at 5:51 pm

Hooray for your amazing recipes!!! I can’t wait to try this one out as well as the White Chocolate Vanilla Marshmallow Cake Bars – 4 Layers. From the flourless PB cookies alone, I know these will be a hit.

Angela — October 12, 2011 at 5:29 pm

Wow these look amazing. No flour, eh? *Bookmarked*!

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — October 12th, 2011 at 5:41 pm

yes and you can veganize them w/ egg replacer or a flax egg. If you’re going the flax/chia egg route, make sure the dough is really COLD before baking them so they don’t turn into Spreadout City. :)

Justeen @ Blissful Baking — October 29, 2011 at 11:02 am

I made these yesterday for a friend, and they turned out great! They are especially delicious straight out of the oven. LOVE the texture! I only used 1/4 cup of cocoa powder, and used a combo of milk chocolate and peanut butter chips. Thanks for an awesome recipe!

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — October 29th, 2011 at 1:09 pm

Thanks for the field report and glad they turned out so great. Sounds like a great combo of milk/PB chips :)

maria @ Chasing the Now — November 14, 2011 at 9:42 pm

I’ve been wanting something really chocolatey lately, so I am bookmarking this recipe to make once my husband gets back from his business trip! :)

Debbie — February 28, 2012 at 8:58 am

What kind of PB is best with these cookies? I have the natural kind in my fridge right now. Or is a skippy type PB better? Thanks!

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — February 28th, 2012 at 3:07 pm

Not natural. You need a Skippy or Jif, etc. Something that isn’t going to separate, i.e. needs stirring. That won’t yield a good result in these cookies.

• Debbie replied: — February 28th, 2012 at 7:01 pm

Just baked these and they are sooooo good! I used a half a cup of dark chocolate chips. I think next time I’ll mix in some peanut butter chips too.
        Just wondering why the recipe says mix by hand. Would it ruin the cookies if I used a stand mixer? Maybe with a paddle? It was a little hard to mix by hand.

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — February 28th, 2012 at 7:17 pm

Such an easy recipe, I figured why bother dirtying up the stand mixer and paddle and I’m sure it would be fine to use, I just never have. Glad they turned out so well for you…I don’t know if I’d mess around with my results but LMK if you try it :)

These are the same principle, but chocolate!

• Debbie replied: — February 28th, 2012 at 7:22 pm

Thanks! I think I’ll try it that way next time since I just throw everything in the dishwasher anyway. My husband asked me to add these to my regular rotation of desserts, so I think I’ll be making them a lot!
            That link takes me to this same recipe. is there another similar recipe you’re recommending?

Sherilyn — April 30, 2012 at 6:22 pm

hey what can I substitute for peanut butter. I want to make these but dont like peanut butter in my cookies

Bridgette — August 18, 2012 at 1:05 pm

My mom has started a gluten free way of eating and today is her birthday. I just made these for her (rather than cake) after coming across the recipe on Pinterest. O….. M……. G…… they are so good! Thank you so much!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — August 18th, 2012 at 1:07 pm

glad to hear they’re a hit! and happy bday to your mom! thanks for finding me, making these, and for the field report back!

Jackie — October 1, 2012 at 9:21 am

So I made these the other night. I can’t eat eggs so I used the flax seed substitute. The dough was very dry and crumbly. I put it in the freezer for 10min and then proceeded to ‘roll’ the cookies. Again, the dough was very crumbly, almost like sand. I got all the cookies rolled, and baked for 11min. They remained in the shape of a ball and didn’t look like cookies at all. However, they tasted really good! And are VERY rich and sweet. I just wonder if it’s the lack of egg that really makes a difference for these? Just wanted to share my experience with them. I’ll make them again for sure since they really do satisfy that chocolate craving!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — October 1st, 2012 at 9:26 am

I would say that if you would have doubled the amount of flax egg you used, you would have been in better shape. Cocoa powder, in general, and all that PB, is going to be very thick so you need to maybe have added some more moisture. Everyone’s PB, cocoa, powder, how ‘large’ their flax egg is, is all going to vary. I say double the egg/water volume, or play around with it a bit so the dough isn’t so dry, and you’d be in better shape. A real egg in this recipe is magical. As you know it ‘can’ be done vegan as you did, but just may require a few batches and testing to get that perfect consistency. LMK if you try again!

Liane Blanco — December 24, 2012 at 6:41 pm

I made these to take to my family’s Christmas Day brunch tomorrow, and honestly hope I can stay out of them until then. They are so good – gooey and decadent! I’ve pretty much given up cookies since turning to a vegan lifestyle, since most traditional recipes call for butter and margarine, no matter what kind, just does not give the same result. Not so with these cookies – they are so moist and rich, you don’t notice the lack of butter and certainly don’t miss it.

The only thing I changed with the recipe is that I added about 1/8 tsp. of salt – the tiniest bit to enhance the chocolate flavor. I’ve found that this makes a significant in any chocolate recipe.

Thanks for this recipe, and happy holidays!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — December 24th, 2012 at 6:46 pm

This recipe is an oldie but a goodie – and glad you’re so happy with them! You’re right that it can be very challenging to get the same results with vegan baking as with traditional (something about butter and eggs – can be hard to recreate) but glad that these have been a keeper for you and you’re so pleased! Thanks for the report back!

Kelly — February 24, 2013 at 4:49 pm

These are my absolute favourite cookies ever!!! They are chocolatey, peanutty, fudgey perfection! I’ve made them with both almond butter and peanut butter and can’t decide which I prefer. I’ve also substituted Splenda for sugar, but I recommend reducing it to 1/2 cup Splenda if anyone wants to try that. Oh, and I like to sprinkle some fleur de sel on top of them… yum! I am so thankful that you posted this recipe and I stumbled upon it!

Rachele — May 27, 2013 at 6:39 am

Like Jackie, my dough was quit crumbly and dry. I added a bit more peanut butter just to get it to stick but that didn’t really work. I think it would have come together if I had used my kitchen aid. The finished result was also like Jsckie’s cookie. It remained in a ball. They were not fudge or gooey but they are still delicious. I followed your recipe exactly, using one real egg as well. I saw in your comments that we shouldn’t use natural peanut butter. But that’s all I had. I’m guessing that’s the difference. I specifically buy it because its ‘natural’ and without all the fillers. But I think you need the fillers in this or add a little coconut oil or butter to help it. ??? These were still very good. My daughter absolutely loves them. I just wanted them to look more like yours. They’re perfect.

• Averie Sunshine replied: — May 27th, 2013 at 6:50 am

Whenever people write to say they didn’t get the results I got, but didn’t use the products I suggested, that’s 99% of the time why. And in this case, it’s the natural PB.

Sometimes people have luck with it, but other times, not so much. In a recipe like this where there are so few ingredients, each and every ingredient does matter and I’m sure conventional PB will do the trick for you! And if you think using your stand mixer will help, do that! Do whatever you think will help :)

Sounds like you’re awfully close and loved the flavor…and your daughter loves them…so that’s all that matters as a mom, right! Just use Jif, Skippy, etc next time and you’ll be all set!

Rachele — May 27, 2013 at 6:40 am

So sorry for the misspellings. The auto correct on my iPad doesn’t catch some things and changes others.

Julie — August 16, 2013 at 12:04 pm

Just made these for my grandmother who has recently been diagnosed with celiac disease.. she was pretty upset because she figured she couldn’t bake anything anymore and that it wouldn’t taste as good… Needless to say she absolutely loved them and couldn’t believe they were GF! My dad is also celiac for 6-7yrs and he really loved them too!! Everyone did! Thanks for this (and the other great recipes) Next time I’ll probably have to make a double batch!

• Averie Sunshine replied: — August 16th, 2013 at 12:56 pm

That’s wonderful that you were able to bake these for your dad and grandma, both with Celiac, and that they loved them and that a double-batch is in store for next time. Wonderful news & thanks for LMK! :)

Lorrie — November 23, 2013 at 5:36 pm

I’m looking for things that are gluten free AND casein free, so to bake these as is would not be an option for me. Have you ever tried substituting Enjoy Life (or some other brand) of dairy free chocolate chips? My four year old thanks you!

• Averie Sunshine replied: — November 23rd, 2013 at 7:43 pm

Most good quality dark or semi-sweet chips SHOULD be casein free – just cocao butter solids and maybe some lecithin as an emulsifier – but if you want to spend the money $$ for Enjoy Life, go for it. They’d be fine in these.