Cake Pops & Donuts

Do you know what this is?

Just a couple doughnut pans that Bed Bath & Beyond has

I have been wanting a doughnut pan for ages and finally picked one up last night.

I got the regular size (yellow) which is still not going to make “huge” doughnuts.  I didn’t need the mini size because I personally don’t have the patience to fill up all those little holes and be all neat and tidy about it.

Plus, I got something else…

I have been coveting the Babycakes products for years and decided to go for it.

I got both a Donut Maker and a Cake Pop Maker

They were each $19.99 at BB& Bb ut I had $5 off coupons for both, so each item cost me a whopping $14.99  I can handle that.

That’s why I thrift shop for dishes.  And it sounds like many of you do, too.  Thanks for the info about the Corningware dish from my last post in the comments.  A 70s favorite is seems.

I also hoard BB & B coupons because they never expire.

So now I can get busy Donut making

and Cake Pop Making

I didn’t buy a Whoopie Pie Pan but I was tempted.

I think I have plenty of new toys to play with but how fun do Whoopie Pies sound?

I don’t have any donuts or cake pops or whoopie pies around right now, but I do have these

and these Peanut Butter Oatmeal White Chocolate Cookies to tide me over til I can make some donuts and donut holes, i.e. cake pops

1. Donut or Doughnut?

My fingers type Donut easier than they do Doughnut.

Donut is usually preceded by the word Mini.   Mini donuts remind me of everything good and right from my childhood.

So I vote Donut.

2. Have you ever made donuts?  If so, please share your fave recipe.  Same with Cake Pops, i.e. donut holes.  Recipes please.

There are so many recipes and it seems that donuts are the next really hot foodie trend and everywhere I turn, I find more recipes.  Overwhelming!

I want moist, rich, not super cakey, and not dry donuts.

Flavor?  I am open.  From vanilla to chocolate to pumpkin spice.

And anything goes with glazes and frosting, too.   Countless combinations.

I love personal stamps of approval so hopefully you’ve tried and made some winners.

3. Do you have a donut pan, a donut maker, or a cake pop maker?

If you don’t have a donut pan, for about 7 bucks you can get one.

And for 14.99 with a coupon at BB & B, you can snag the other Babycakes items.

And in the meantime, I have read that most donut recipes will work just fine in muffin tins.

Or you can pipe a donut shape onto a cookie sheet from a corner that’s been cut off from a Ziplock baggie filled with batter.

Thanks for the KeVita Drinks Giveaway entries

18 Responses to “Cake Pops & Donuts”

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) — October 20, 2011 at 4:33 pm

OMG, I love that vintage Corningware!! We had that set when I was growing up. I hated it then but want it now! haha Checking out that vintage web site… awesome, thanks! :D

Sarah — October 20, 2011 at 5:07 pm

I bought a cake pop maker too! I know they aren’t REAL cake pops, but still, cake balls! Super cool. :)

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — October 20th, 2011 at 5:09 pm

Let me know if you come across any recipes that work well for you in your cakepop maker. I’m all ears!

Liz (Little Bitty Bakes) — October 20, 2011 at 6:44 pm

I’ve been wanting one of those donut pans for MONTHS! I’m buying one this weekend, cannot wait :) Fall weather screams donuts to me, so it’s necessary now more than ever ;)

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — October 23, 2011 at 10:42 am

I follow Bakerella’s cake pop recipe because they are the moistest, and although they are more work than using a cake pop maker – they are well worth it.

I have never seen any of those pans before (or the cupcake or donut maker).

Pure2raw twins — October 25, 2011 at 4:40 am

oh ya you got one!!! you will love it

we need to get the cake pop pan, we never made any yet

eva @5FruitsNVeggies — November 10, 2011 at 6:23 am

hi averie, i haven’t commented in a long time, but i have been reading….

a donut pan has been on my list for a long time…just wondering, if i got the machine, does it make nicer, rounded edges on both sides of the donut?…i was thinking this might be the only reason not to get the baking pan……any thoughts??

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — November 10th, 2011 at 11:45 am

I got both the pan and the maker b/c they were both cheap….8 bucks and 14.99 with my coupons. I have been using the actual donut pan more, just b/c cleanup is easy and i can make recipes to share w/ readers with the donut pan b/c more people have pans than the makers. But both of them make smooth, round donuts.

sue — November 16, 2011 at 7:10 pm

just got the whoopie maker….. yeah….. i love it soooo much. i got the babycakes one and it made mini whoopie pies, yum….. unfortunately i ate 4 of them::))

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — November 16th, 2011 at 7:13 pm

What recipes are you using for them? The recipes for donut-maker donuts are different than donut pan in the oven donuts…or in your case whoopies pies. I didn’t buy their cookbook…

Krista — November 28, 2011 at 6:40 pm

You do not have to buy a whoopie pie pan. Donut pans and cake bite pans make sense, but just follow this recipe and they form themselves. I made them for a cake walk at work last week and they were being fought over. :)

lauren@spicedplate — November 29, 2011 at 2:15 am

I never would have thought to look at BB&B for these things! Wow!