Woolly

Earlier in the week I picked up some of this.

I also picked up some replacement running gear at the Nike store, but it’s not new-to-me.

I replaced these socks (recommended if you like padded socks for running), bought another pair of these pants because I’ve worn them every single day since I bought them and love them, and replaced these shoes that have 500 miles, give or take, on them.

The new-to-me item was this wool running shirt.  Wool does not scream technical fabric to me.  Instead it screams itchy, scratchy, and not what I when I’m working out, but the sales person recommended it to me.  To my surprise, this shirt has been perfect for morning runs, with temperatures in the 50’s F.

I don’t have to layer it with anything else and although it’s not as soft as some of the other technical fabrics, it’s much warmer, and that’s a tradeoff I can live with.

There’s nothing worse than overdressing for a workout because hot, sweaty, and overheated makes me want to just quit.

But under-dressing for the conditions and having a paper-thin shirt that’s known for it’s ability to”wick away sweat” is great when it’s 80F, but not when it’s 50F.  The wool shirt has been the solution for my too hot, too cold, just right, situation; and it’s not scratchy or itchy.

These are not itchy or scratchy either.

I nicknamed them Pillowtop Bars (Gluten Free) for a reason.  Marshmallow creme, peanut butter, white chocolate, and sweetened condensed milk become soft and pillowey after being baked, in case you’re wondering.

Do you find wool scratchy and uncomfortable or do you like it?

I know some people who very sensitive to wool; they break out in rashes, start itching, and it bothers them intensely.

I’m okay with softer weaves but not directly on my skin.  I couldn’t wear a wool sweater without having something on underneath it because I’d be an itchy mess.  As long as I layer it, I love wool sweaters.

Have you ever worn any wool workout clothes?

This was my first and I know wool workout socks are popular, but I haven’t tried those.

Have a great weekend!

33 Responses to “Woolly”

Erica — February 4, 2012 at 2:57 am

Ive never heard of wool workOut clothes. Thats cool. I usually find wool a little itchy, but im intrigued

Paula — February 4, 2012 at 3:39 am

I love wool socks for running (I wear smartwool and they also have neat patterns for casual/everyday wear too). They are pricey but last forever so worth it for me. As far as natural fibers go, wool is my favorite as long as it’s really soft because it is both warm and breathable. Thanks for the heads up on the Nike wool top–will definitely be perfect for running in the Midwest for 3 out of 4 seasons!

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — February 4th, 2012 at 10:49 am

Glad to hear you really love your wool socks. I am going to pick up a pair next fall going into cold weather running season and see how they work for me.

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey — February 4, 2012 at 4:35 am

I never even knew they made wool workout clothes – I think I would have been just as skeptical as you!

Brooke — February 4, 2012 at 5:13 am

I am completely petrified of wool. I can’t stand it in the slightest quantities on anything that comes in contact with my skin. Esh! My skin is just crawling!!

Brooke

Heather (Where's the Beach) — February 4, 2012 at 6:42 am

I just noticed your new picture – cute apron! I don’t have any wool tech gear, but my husband does mostly for biking. I do have some wool and bamboo running socks though. Love them when it’s super cold out.

katie @ KatieDid — February 4, 2012 at 7:29 am

I wear smartwool socks on winter runs and hikes but that’s about it! I hate the feeling of overdressing on a run which is what I did yesterday thinking it was much colder than 30 degrees outside, laying 2 shirts and 2 very warm fleeces= sweaty mess within the first 2 minutes! Glad the wool worked well for you and didn’t do the same.

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — February 4th, 2012 at 10:48 am

I didn’t overdress yesterday but did just now today…not a fun feeling. But it just means it’s going to be a really nice day out!

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — February 4, 2012 at 7:41 am

Have you ever smelled Prada’s new scent “Candy.” I got a sample in the mail and I am obsessed – it is my new favourite. I know you like body sprays … but you just have to check this stuff out!

Aylin @ Glow Kitchen — February 4, 2012 at 8:14 am

I can’t wear wool. It’s not only scratchy, but it gives me an itchy heat rash. Unfortunately my favorite sweater is made of wool, so i have to compromise for aesthetic purposes

Michele | aka Raw Juice Girl — February 4, 2012 at 8:23 am

I don’t like wool. I have an old wool military blanket that I won’t get rid of but I won’t use it because I don’t want it scratching me. lol

I’m not a runner, though, so I don’t know if I’d give in and wear a wool shirt.

Marina — February 4, 2012 at 8:33 am

No, and No. Even wool presence gives me allergy, no matter how good it is. :(

Jenny — February 4, 2012 at 9:50 am

Wow! Who would have thought wool would be soft?

min — February 4, 2012 at 10:04 am

Don’t get me wrong, I love (or used to) your blog… but can you do something new once in a while instead of re-posting the same thing from your last blog. Like how many times have you RE-POSTED this pillow-top recipe… and the bombshell perfume was mentioned in the last blog…

Luv What You Do — February 4, 2012 at 10:09 am

I am a big fan of the Nike Pro gear. I actually ran this morning in one of their long sleeve half zips and loved it. No rubbing or scratching. As for wool, I have a few pairs of smart wool running socks that I save for real cold runs (like this AM). I am a big fan, but they are too much for the summer. Congrats on all the new gear!

Amber K — February 4, 2012 at 10:39 am

I’m not a fan of wool, but what’s much, much, much worse is velvet. It makes my skin crawl to even think about touching velvet. Don’t know what it is about it, but I can’t stand it!

Kelly @ Vegolosophy — February 4, 2012 at 11:45 am

I am not really a fan of wool, it is a little itchy to me. I can wear it for a short time, but after a while I start to feel uncomfortable and itchy.

Jenny — February 4, 2012 at 12:53 pm

Wow, some people are rude! Averie, I still love your blog and I find it nice to have refreshers every once in a while! You keep doing what you’re doing!

Liz (Little Bitty Bakes) — February 4, 2012 at 1:43 pm

Haha, I love how your chilly runs are 50 degrees – that’s T-shirt and shorts weather, girl! OK, I’m off to dream of living in a climate like yours…

vanillasugarblog — February 4, 2012 at 3:30 pm

only love my wool hats.
    love your new running shoes girl.
    while you’re out running take some sunny photos for this sun-starved cali girl will ya?
    xoxo!
    have a fabulous sunday!

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — February 4th, 2012 at 4:26 pm

I just posted and put up a new pic of sunny blue skies (because of this comment!) That one’s for you!
      xo

kathy — February 4, 2012 at 3:31 pm

Hi
    I was wondering if you would do more post on yoga. I started reading your blog quite awhile ago. I am hoping you go back to more veggie raw yoga post.

Michele Sparrow — February 4, 2012 at 7:46 pm

I have never worn wool workout clothes and wool does bother me if I don’t wear it with a cotton tee underneath it. But if I have a roomy cotton piece underneath, I am fine with it! Happy Saturday, Averie! :-)

Alice — February 5, 2012 at 12:00 am

If you like wool workout clothing, I would suggest Icebreaker’s line of work out gear. I initially purchased them for traveling, and discovered that they had a workout gear line as well. They also have different levels of warmth, but all levels are so soft and the barely there itchy-ness decrease by wash (The website claims to have absolutely no itchy feeling, but I found there to be a tiny bit; but that may be because I have really sensitive skin).

Another thing that I recently discovered was that Amazon sells Icebreaker clothing at a much cheaper price than the website itself. I wish I had known this when I bought mine! Anyways, hope this helps!

Louose — February 5, 2012 at 6:13 am

Not all wool is itchy. Just look at those beautiful italian men’s suits. Most are 100 per cent Merino wool. Wool can be just over 30 percent saturated with water/perspiration/apple juice and still feel quite warm and dry and that’s why it’s great for working out or hiking. And once ypu’ve worn real quality wool socks, there’s no going back.

Christine (The Raw Project) — February 5, 2012 at 8:23 am

Interesting on the wool shirt, I wouldn’t have guessed it would be comfortable. I have a few long-sleeved running shirts for the cold, one paper-thin for slightly cold conditions, one medium-ish for running in the 40s, and one thicker turtleneck for the 20s.