Earth Day and Green Recipes

Happy Earth Day!

In honor of Mother Earth, here are a some of my favorite Green Recipes:

First some avocado-based recipes:

Avocado, Cream Cheese, and Salsa-Stuffed Puff Pastries (with a vegan option) – Avocado, melted cream cheese, and two kinds of salsa.

Mango salsa for a hint of sweetness and a slight kick from the green salsa verde.

Cheater’s Guacamole (Vegan, GF) – 3 minute recipe. No vegetable, onion, or garlic chopping required.

Green Appetizers & Lighter Fare:

Tempeh and Cucumbers on a Stick with Brown Sugar Balsamic Reduction Dip (Vegan, GF option)

Cucumber Wraps (Raw, Vegan, GF)

Raw Pasta Salad with Creamy Lemon & Herb Dressing (Raw, Vegan, GF) – Light, flavorful, easy and perfect for warmer weather. Use a vegetable peeler if you don’t have a spiralizer to make zucchini ribbons.

Apple Glazed Vegetable & Edamame Stir Fry (Vegan, GF) – A true meaning of applesauce. The apple-based sauce coats and flavors this dish.

Green Comfort Food:

Lemon & Dill Roasted Potato Sticks (Vegan, GF)

Cheezy Kale Chips (Raw, Vegan, GF) – You can bake these if you don’t have a dehydrator and they turn out wonderfully.

Spicy Baked Eggs and Hash Brown Casserole (GF) – Eggs and potatoes are the way to my husband’s heart. An easy brunch or breakfast-for-dinner recipe. Makes a modest amount so you won’t be eating eggs forever.

Green Desserts:

Vanilla Avocado Banana Smoothie in a Bowl – Sweet, creamy, pudding-like. Or thin it out a bit more and drink it with a straw like a smoothie.

Chocolate Coconut Kale Chips (Raw, Vegan, GF) – Anyone who says they don’t like kale or coconut needs to try these and be converted.

Vanilla Avocado Banana Ice Cream (Raw, Vegan, GF) – You cannot “taste” the avocado. Trust me on this one; it’s really rich, creamy, sweet, and very ice cream-like. People write to me frequently telling me how much they love this healthier recipe for “ice cream”.

Triple Layer Fudgy Mint Oreo Brownies – One of the best desserts I’ve ever made. Rich, sweet, decadent, fabulous.

Are you doing anything special to celebrate Earth Day?

In past years, we’ve gone to the Balboa Park Earth Day Festival. We don’t have plans to venture inside the park to the booths and exhibits and green-vendor smorgasboard. We’ll walk on the outskirts, along with 60,000 other people, give or take. Just a small, tiny, crowd. Ahem. The people watching is always fabulous and it’s one of the largest Earth Day fairs in the country. Great energy and we are fortunate enough to live within walking distance of it all.

Do you have a favorite green recipe or green food?

I do love desserts but don’t subsist on them solely. Shocker.

On a daily basis, the majority of the food I eat is green: green salads, kale, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, cucumber, zucchini, peas, sugar snap peas, edamame, green grapes. Without my greenery, I feel out of balance, off kilter, and I really crave green foods, especially crunchy ones full of texture.

After the greenery, it’s time for dessert. It’s all a balancing act and moderation.

Happy Earth Day!

Winners of the Puff Pastry at Brunch Cookbook Giveaway announced next post

31 Responses to “Earth Day and Green Recipes”

Melissa (Better Fit) — April 22, 2012 at 3:26 am

Well, I’ve put some earth day fitness ideas on my blog today- so I might practice what I preach and do one of those today!

Favourite green food? Like you, I love so many. If I’m forced to choose just one, I’ll say a perfectly ripe and silky avocado. Divine.

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar — April 22, 2012 at 4:36 am

Great ideas for today! Happy Earth Day :)

Heather (Where's the Beach) — April 22, 2012 at 6:13 am

I eat a lot of green as well. Happy Earth Day – hope you guys are having a good one!

Colleen — April 22, 2012 at 7:11 am

I adore any green vegetable roasted in olive oil, mainly broccoli or asparagus :) I put spinach in smoothies or sautee it in garlic. Happy Earth Day :) Your Oreo mint brownies look so delicious!

Mimi Avocado — April 22, 2012 at 8:04 am

Love your avocado recipe round-up for Earth Day! Shared on my FB page as well as CaliforniaAvocadosDirect.com . Gorgeous photography, Averie! Dying to taste your food!

Anna @ On Anna's Plate — April 22, 2012 at 8:31 am

You have some great green picks on here :-) Happy Earth Day!!

CJ at Food Stories — April 22, 2012 at 8:40 am

OMG … These are all gorgeous and I loved the tempeh & cucumbers on a stick … Happy Earth Day!

katie @ KatieDid — April 22, 2012 at 8:42 am

Happy earth day to you, have a blast around that festival it sounds wonderful. My favorite greens are kale and brussels!

Catalina @ Cake with Love — April 22, 2012 at 9:19 am

I love all the avocado recipes, I can have avocado 10 times a day!

Christine @ Oatmeal in my Bowl — April 22, 2012 at 9:20 am

Brilliant idea with the puff pastries and the hint of mango. sounds delicious. And dangerous. cuz I think I could keep them all to myself without sharing. ;)

Amber K — April 22, 2012 at 9:34 am

I don’t have any big plans to do anything, but I’m sure there’s something going on. I should go look at my city’s website and see what’s up!

Bria @ West of Persia — April 22, 2012 at 9:55 am

I have such a primal reaction to those minty Oreo brownies every single time I see them on your blog. Ahem.

No big earth day plans….just teaching and housekeeping type of stuff ;-) Enjoy your time outdoors with the fam!

Sally @ sallys baking addiction — April 22, 2012 at 10:09 am

mmmm! i love green foods. I especially love my green monster smoothies – spinach, vanilla greek yogurt, frozen banana chunks, and frozen strawberries. so simple and SO good. i’m equally obsessed with guac! your cheater’s guacamole looks so good Averie. :) Last summer i had “grilled guacamole”… cut the avocado and remove the seed, grill the open avocado face down for a few minutes and mash up with other guac ingredients. takes it to a whole other level! Happy Earth Day. :)

Let Me Eat Cake — April 22, 2012 at 11:06 am

love all these avocado recipes! i want to try the vanilla banana avocado ice cream sounds so interesting!

Julie — April 22, 2012 at 1:46 pm

Good thing avocados have been on super sale. I’m making my own cheater’s guacamole.

I’m going to come to your neck of the woods next Saturday and am stopping by the bake sale. Any suggestions for things to do/places to go when I’m in town?

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — April 22nd, 2012 at 1:56 pm

PAcific Beach where the sale is held is SUCH a fun area…put on your walking shoes and start walking! Hillcrest, Del Mar, La Jolla, the beaches, downtown…so much to do, google is your friend and just pick a few things that sound fun to you based on energy levels, interest, budget, etc :)

Natalie @ Cooking for My Kids — April 22, 2012 at 3:47 pm

What a great idea! I love all of the Green recipes. Happy Earth Day!

Lindsay @ Fuel My Family — April 22, 2012 at 7:22 pm

Love all the avocado recipes. I;ve been trying to eat at least 1/2 of one a day for added fat while nursing. Trying to stay full a little better!

Paula — April 22, 2012 at 7:46 pm

My favorite green food right now is spinach– which was great with balsamic reduction of course!!! I have enough to last until about Wednesday. I’m putting it on everything. Hope you had a nice weekend!

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers — April 22, 2012 at 8:01 pm

I really love the photos of the cucumber wraps. I need to try that!! Everything looks so tasty! I had guacamole today and I was so happy I didn’t get a stomach ache. Maybe I’m not allergic after all? Woohoo!! Now I can try some of your tasty avocado goodies!! Have a great rest of the night!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — April 22nd, 2012 at 9:18 pm

I hate the pics! lol They are 2+ years old and boy, times have changed!

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — April 22, 2012 at 8:52 pm

My favourite green food is probably spinach … I love a spinach salad, and I also love green monsters.

jojo — April 22, 2012 at 8:54 pm

Avocado is one of the most beautiful vegetable (or fruit?).. I love it when I cut it in half and it’s perfect like it is in your photo!
    Avocado ice cream looks very tempting right now… It would be a good brain food while studying :)

Heather @ Housewife Glamour — April 22, 2012 at 8:55 pm

Everything above looks absolutely delicious! Great compilation of recipes.
    I’m with you – I LOVE greens, especially peas, salads, cucumbers and peppers.
    I can’t believe I havent tried kale yet, I need too. That chocolate coconut kale looks fantastic!

Dominique @ Just Another Phase — April 23, 2012 at 4:35 pm

I’m so glad you posted this, I have 2 avocados that are ready to be used! Looks like i’ll be having some quick guar AND some vanilla avocado ice cream. Yay!

Bree — April 24, 2012 at 7:03 am

Oh my goodness so many of these look amazing!