Homemade Peanut Butter

Once you make peanut butter at home, it will be very difficult to get excited about storebought peanut butter ever again.

Not that eating peanut butter of any kind would ever be a chore because I love it so, but homemade peanut butter is a delicacy. And a nearly effortless delicacy at that.

Homemade Peanut Butter - A bag of peanuts and 5 minutes is all you need to make your own PB! Once you try homemade, you'll never be satisfied with storebought!

It’s akin to savoring a piece of high-end dark chocolate that’s rich and pure, uncomplicated by fillers, additives, or ingredients that have no place being in chocolate; and then grabbing a milk chocolate bar in the checkout line at the grocery store, which is likely a combination of tasteless, grainy, and waxy.

Apples and oranges. Store-bought peanut butter versus homemade.

Once you have something amazing, it’s hard to get excited about any less than.

That’s this peanut butter.

Sure, all peanut butter is good, and some is better than others, but this is in its own league.

It’s similar in taste to store-bought varieties of “natural” peanut butter. It tastes like real peanuts and nothing else.

At room temperature, it’s similar in consistency to a stir-free natural peanut butter, thicker than almond butter, but thinner than conventional Jif or Skippy.

I store my homemade peanut butter in an airtight container in the refrigerator and although I could keep it at room temperature, I’m sure it will keep longer being refrigerated and I prefer my peanut butter on the thicker side. Storing it in the fridge helps it to stay thicker and less runny, especially since my house is warmer now during the summer.

Honestly, there’s not that much to store. Every time I open the fridge, I see the jar staring at me.

And it calls my name.

Interestingly, my peanut butter has turned out to be “stir-free”.

It has not separated into oil and a solid mass, which is something I detest about natural peanut butters; the oil slick on top and that stubborn dry blob on the bottom that never really wants to re-accept the oil.

Find a food processor and a spoon.

This is crazy good.

The whole process takes less than 5 minutes.

Here’s a step-by-step breakdown (a literal breakdown)

Add peanuts to the canister of the food processor

No oil, no salt, just peanuts

Turn it on and watch it go

Wheeee!

There peanuts go through various stages in the approximately five minutes it takes to go from peanuts to peanut butter:

crushed peanuts

crushed into a fine powder

a paste

a thicker paste

and a big peanut butter “dough ball” will form

And then the big ball will magically break down

And turn into a gritty peanut butter

Keep processing and the peanut butter will get smoother, creamier, and thin out

No oil was ever added at any point during processing – just the natural oils from the peanuts are being released

Keep processing until you’re certain the peanut butter is smooth enough for your liking, another minute or so

I like my peanut butter very smooth, like buttah

The peanut butter is a little on the thinner and runnier side immediately post-processing because it’s warmed from the motor – similar in thickness to store-bought almond butter

After refrigeration, it thickens up a bit

As suggested in the recipe section, flavor your peanut butter with anything you want from vanilla or coffee extract

To cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice or cocoa powder

To spicy or savory, which is great for 2-minute peanut sauce (vegan, GF)

Or add some adult-version flavorings

This is your peanut butter. Get creative.

No, wait, this is my peanut butter.

And I’m not sharing.

Print Print Recipe

Homemade Peanut Butter

Once you try homemade peanut butter, you'll never want store-bought again. It comes together in mere minutes in a food processor and is better than any peanut butter you've ever tried before. Try it and you'll be hooked! Recipe is naturally gluten-free. Swap honey roasted peanuts for plain roasted peanuts to keep vegan.

Yield: Makes about 1 1/2 cups creamy peanut butter

Total Time: 5 minutes

Ingredients:

16 ounces honey roasted peanuts

Directions:

Add peanuts to the canister of a food processor, process on high power until creamy and smooth, about 5 minutes, stopping to scrape down the sides of the canister if necessary.

The peanuts will go through stages of: crushed, crushed into a fine powder, a paste, a thicker paste, a big "dough ball", and then the ball will break down into runnier peanut butter. At the point the peanut butter is runny, continue processing for about 1 more minute, making sure the peanut butter is as smooth as desired.

If it wasn't for taking pictures, in my food processor, it takes about 4 minutes and I did not need to scrape down the sides; there was very little splatter.

Store the peanut butter at room temperature where it will keep for at least 2 weeks, or store in an airtight container or jar in the refrigerator, where it keeps for many weeks, and I've stored it for months. As with any food that has no preservatives, use common sense.

Substitutions and Flavoring Suggestions

Substitute dry roasted, salted, or unsalted peanuts, mixed nuts, seasoned, or spicy nuts; I do not suggest raw nuts because they don't have enough flavor depth for me but theoretically they will "work", just a matter of taste preference.

Salt, to taste (I added none)

Peanut oil, canola oil, and I have also seen olive oil suggested, optional and only if necessary (I added none and although the paste is thick in the early to mid stages of blending causing one to ponder if oil is necessary, once you get past that stage, you'll be glad to have not added oil because the finished peanut butter is already on the thinner side and the robust peanut flavor is not diluted by oil)

Seasonings or flavorings to try and add in the final moments of processing and process until incorporated: cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice, nutmeg, cardamom, brown sugar, vanilla extract, coffee extract, specialty oils and extracts from LorAnn, a pinch of cayenne or chili powder or savory spices, cocoa powder, chocolate/white chocolate/butterscotch/peanut butter chips and just pulse to incorporate; a handful of peanuts just pulsed to incorporate at the very end of processing to create a chunky-textured peanut butter. Add egg-less cookie dough chunks, dried fruits like raisins or dates; a splash of Baileys Irish Cream, Kahlua, Frangelico, Chambord, Godiva Liqueur; have fun with it.

If you're unsure how a flavoring will turn out, I suggest removing half the peanut butter or two-thirds of it, placing it in another container, and flavor a smaller portion, to taste, before flavoring the entire batch with one particular seasoning or flavor. Or get two or three flavors from one recipe based on how inspired you are.

Make sure to also check out

Honey Roasted Butterscotch White Chocolate Peanut Butter (GF)

Homemade Cookie Butter Peanut Butter (vegan, GF)

Homemade Chocolate Peanut Butter (vegan, GF)

Related Recipes

Homemade Chocolate Peanut Butter – (vegan, GF) –  Easy and make in 10 minutes. NO added sugar or oil. Very chocolaty & great for curing bad days!

Homemade Chocolate Peanut Butter in 10 Minutes (Vegan, GF) averiecooks.com

Homemade Cookie Butter Peanut Butter (vegan, GF options) – A homemade spin on Cookie Butter or Biscoff Spread, made by blending peanuts with gingersnap cookies and cinnamon, which gives the spread a slightly gritty texture, similar to storebought

Homemade Cookie Butter Peanut Butter @Averie Sunshine {Averie Cooks}

Chocolate Coconut Cashew Butter (vegan, GF)

Peanut Noodles with Mixed Vegetables and Peanut Sauce (vegan, GF, soy-free) – The peanut sauce comes together in two minutes and the whole thing is a 5 minute meal

Here are 35 Recipes for National Peanut Day that all use peanut butter

Here are approximately 50 Peanut Butter recipes I’ve made and posted about over the years

Here are 20 peanut butter recipes for National Peanut Butter Day

Here’s an Peanut Butter Brand Comparison

I wrote a cookbook about peanut butter, 100 recipes that all contain peanut butter – My Cookbook: Peanut Butter Comfort

Included are 25+ recipes for homemade peanut butter variations

Peanut Butter Comfort: Recipes for Breakfasts, Brownies, Cakes, Cookies, Candies, and Frozen Treats Featuring America's Favorite Spread

Thanks to everyone who’s told me you’ve preordeded the book!

Have you ever made your own nut butter?

Recipe links welcome and I would love to hear your method and results.

Do you have a favorite peanut butter?

I love peanut butter in all ways, shapes, and sizes. I especially like honey-roasted peanut butter because it’s naturally sweeter. For baking and cooking, I typically use Jif Creamy. For baking, especially cookies, I plan to stick with store-bought peanut butter  because cookies are temperamental. Given that homemade peanut butter is thinner than store-bought, and because I don’t like flat cookies, I use the conventional.

For bars or other desserts that call for peanut butter with a recipe, sure, homemade would be lovely but honestly, the taste is going to be masked from a combination of butter, sugar, flour, eggs, and then it’s baked, which is the main reason I bake with whatever peanut butter is on sale. I save the fancy peanut butters for when I can really focus on every pure, unadulterated, peanut butter bite and not “waste” a high end peanut butter inside a recipe.

518 Responses to “Homemade Peanut Butter”

Elizabeth Mattick — February 18, 2013 at 11:19 am

Loved this! Didn’t realize you did have to add anything. I always found stuff where you had to add oil! Thanks so much!

Catherine — February 19, 2013 at 7:18 am

Why have I not been doing this for years? So simple… I’ll never buy another jar of peanut butter again!

Maria — February 20, 2013 at 5:33 am

I definitely have to try the almond butter! But… I don’t own a food processor, can I use a blender instead?

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — February 20th, 2013 at 11:57 am

I am not sure about a blender…the worst thing that can happen is you put the nuts in and they don’t blend perfectly. Please LMK if it works!

• Michelle replied: — July 17th, 2013 at 1:53 pm

I’ve made this before – which everyone loves – and I used a blender… well, a Ninja. Which basically demolishes anything. It worked perfectly for me and I’ve tried it several times! I’m not sure how much you could say a Ninja and blender are related, but it was great for me

• Averie Sunshine replied: — July 17th, 2013 at 6:35 pm

Glad to hear your Ninja – and the peanut butter – both worked out well!

John Reese — February 25, 2013 at 9:50 am

Hey I’ve been looking into making my own peanut butter lately: I saw this video where these guys use agrain mill to make peanut butter, without oil like you did. Do you know if using a grain mill makes the butter creamier, or if a mill would last longer than a food processor or blender?

Sara — February 25, 2013 at 2:23 pm

Can’t wait to try this recipe! Anyone know how long it lasts in the fridge before it goes bad? Thanks!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — February 25th, 2013 at 3:24 pm

Many months. You will devour it long before it goes bad. Trust me. :)

Joy — February 26, 2013 at 8:36 am

I just made my first batch of Peanut butter off of your site, oh my is it ever wonderful. Thank you very much.

Beth — February 27, 2013 at 1:26 pm

Ok, so…am I doing something wrong? I’m using a cuisinart food processor and its taking much much longer than 5 minutes :/ I’m at 20 and its still breaking down. Does it take longer sometimes? I’m using 16oz of raw Spanish peanuts.

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — February 27th, 2013 at 2:08 pm

I’ve never had it take more than 5 minutes. I ususally use Trader Joe’s honey roasted, or their lightly salted/roasted plain peanuts. I have never tried using RAW peanuts…that could be the issue? I think that using raw, hard nuts that have never been roasted may be the issue and you may want to try again with previously roasted peanuts.

• Amy replied: — September 22nd, 2013 at 9:37 am

Or roast them yourself!

Dee — March 6, 2013 at 8:00 pm

I had no idea making peanut butter was this easy. Your pictures were very helpful in knowing what to look for in consistency. Thanks!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — March 6th, 2013 at 8:09 pm

And just wait 8 hours – I have a brand new PB post coming out. Please check back!!

Erin — March 7, 2013 at 7:44 am

Stupid question…could you use a blender? I have a blender, but no food processor.

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — March 7th, 2013 at 8:33 am

I am not sure it will be able to fully break the peanuts down but you could try.

Alicia — March 11, 2013 at 12:13 pm

Just wondering where you found the beautiful little glass jars? Thanks!!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — March 11th, 2013 at 12:14 pm

They’re Ball brand mason jars. Grocery store, canning/baking aisle.

Jennifer — March 13, 2013 at 4:24 pm

It’s funny. I don’t use my food processor very often and had thought about giving it away. Then this week I decided to make course ground mustard and also saw this recipe. Just made it. Let it whirl for the 5 minutes, watched it go through every stage you described, then basically stuck my whole hand in it and licked it all off. Amazing. Think I’ll let that food processor stick around a little while longer. :)

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — March 13th, 2013 at 5:28 pm

I am so glad you watched the stages and steps…and about 1-2 mins in it’s always a little dubious but 5 mins later, totally worth it, right! So glad you tried this and if you haven’t tried the chocolate or cookie butter ones I’ve linked, try those for fun! Glad you’re gonna let the food proc stick around awhile longer!

Drea — March 15, 2013 at 1:21 pm

I made this yesterday – turned out amazing… so my husband says :) – I personally hate peanut butter but he loves it! Any who, I made his with my ninja. I wanted to tell you another fun way to mix it up, is to keep a handful of the peanuts out of the mix… and just crush them with a hand mallet… then once your butter is made, just throw in the chunkier pieces, stir with a spatula and it creates a JIFF CRUNCHY kinda feel :) – he personally loves peanut butter with some crunch to it. So this was a great alternative! :)

Gave you love on facebook today btw ;-D facebook.com/dreawood

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — March 15th, 2013 at 1:58 pm

Thanks for making it and glad your hubs approves! Can’t believe you don’t like PB! More for us that do :) Glad to hear the Ninja worked great and yes, I know about that little throw in at the last second tip. It also works great with choc chips! Thanks for the Like and LMK you tried this with great success!

Daniel — March 16, 2013 at 8:37 pm

You said “don’t add salt and oil”, but, in fact, these peanuts have salt and low-quality and unhealthy vegetable oil.
    If you use natural peanuts, you have to add a bit of olive oil.

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — March 16th, 2013 at 10:03 pm

Right, I don’t personally add anything to the food processor OTHER THAN THE PEANUTS straight from the bag. …

“low-quality and unhealthy vegetable oil.” <– however I’m sure they’re still far healthier than going through the drive thru or getting popcorn at the movies, which most Americans do quite regularly.

There’s always a fault with something if you go looking for it. I look on the bright side :) Cheers!

Yen — March 16, 2013 at 9:51 pm

Okay, I have got to give this a go! I don’t eat a lot of peanut butter, but how long do you think I can keep this in the fridge?

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — March 16th, 2013 at 10:01 pm

Months and you WILL eat alot of this PB. It’s different than anything you’ve ever had!

Lisa Brandt — March 18, 2013 at 6:25 am

The only way to go!

Shannon — March 18, 2013 at 2:47 pm

Just made this one and a few others this weekend! Love everything. And I am SOOOO picky about food. Thank you Avery! I will be upping my workouts though. :)

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — March 18th, 2013 at 2:59 pm

So glad you love it. I have another PB recipe coming next week as well as a few others (the cookie butter and choc PB) that I’ve already posted about – and yes, upping your workout. I totally kwym after this stuff :)

Sia N — March 19, 2013 at 12:51 am

I am definitely going to give it a try. So easy and no other ingredients other than peanuts. Brilliant.

Manny"the health nut" — March 22, 2013 at 6:09 pm

So weird, we make several home made type things like can our own grown tomatos, salsa etc but never even thought of peanut butter, but what a great and so simple idea!
    thanks for this share.

Bret — March 24, 2013 at 7:12 am

Do you recommend using a food processor or a Vitamix blender to make the peanut butter?

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — March 24th, 2013 at 1:27 pm

This is a situation where, hands down, I recommend a food processor. Although it is possible to do it in a Vita (if you have one you’ll know what I mean) – that gear-grinding ‘hot’ smell is prone to happening and generally people say they have to add oil to the mixture to get it started/keep it going. The food processor is THE tool for the job here. Enjoy!

Jerisann — March 25, 2013 at 9:14 am

I’m just curious from where you got your jars. They’re cute. I’m having trouble finding them.

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — March 25th, 2013 at 1:49 pm

Ball mason jars, grocery store, canning aisle.

Or try The Container Store or Bed Bath and Beyond, or Williams-Sonoma or Crate & Barrel for fancier ones. A few of mine are the fancy or more decorative variety, and some are just Ball jars.

• Mrs. Rojas replied: — October 9th, 2013 at 6:42 pm

Can also contact ball company online they have lovely stuff there aswell.

• Jenny replied: — June 11th, 2013 at 8:45 pm

Actually, this is going to out me as a canning nerd, but the particular one in the photos is a Quattro Stagioni jar, and it is cuter than those Ball jars! Averie is right about where to find them; my town has a little store with a great glass section that sells them, but it’s pretty unique and I’m not sure where you’d find them besides online.

• Averie Sunshine replied: — June 11th, 2013 at 11:36 pm

Quattro Stagioni jar = yes! Wow, now that you say that, that’s what it’s called. I have so much stuff, I can hardly remember all the brand names. I can’t even remember what I ate for lunch, truthfully :) so the brand name of the jars was escaping me. I do know this though…I bought them at The Container Store in San Diego 5+ years ago because my daughter was crawling the day I bought them and I was afraid she was going to literally knock down hundreds of glass jars in that store! And she’s 6.5 yrs old now :)

Cayleece — March 30, 2013 at 9:27 am

Hi, I know that in general, the jars you use are “Ball Mason Jars”, but what is the exact name brand and size of the particular jar you’ve used for this homemade peanut butter recipe?
    It’s adorable and I love it!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — March 30th, 2013 at 1:33 pm

Ball. That’s the brand. They have sooo many different sizes from and in slightly different shapes. I have 8, 10, 12, 16 ounce sizes and in many different shapes and honestly I can’t remember which exact ounce size this is. 12 I think.

Debbie — May 26, 2013 at 11:49 am

I just made this. Wow! So incredibly simple and so incredibly yummy. Fresh, natural. No salt, no oil, no sugar, no hydrogenated oil, no chemicals. Thanks so much for this! Took less than 5 min. I used plain peanuts as I needed plain for my Asian Peanut Noodle Salad. I do my own mayo too. Back to basics! Get rid of all that unnecessary crap and put Monsanto out of business!

• Averie Sunshine replied: — May 26th, 2013 at 2:21 pm

Yay! So glad you tried it and in less than 5 minutes were in business! I bet your noodles are going to taste extra good! Thanks for LMK you tried the recipe!

slywlf — May 30, 2013 at 5:30 am

OMG – I have bookmarked this page and emailed it to one of my web based email addresses as well – in case my computer crashes again I don’t want to lose this! ;-) I just hope my food processor is up to the challenge, because I ♥ PB!

Beth — May 30, 2013 at 2:38 pm

This looks amazing! Not sure how you can say no added salt when those Trader Joe’s honey roasted nuts are covered in it. Not that I find anything wrong with salt per se, just thought it was misleading. But I guess if you didn’t add the salt yourself, I’m probably splitting hairs!

Anyway…. Thanks for the “recipe”… I had no idea it was so easy!!! And that choc. pb?! Ahmazing! I’m also excited to try almond butter, cashew butter, hazelnut butter. OMG, look what you started! lol

• Averie Sunshine replied: — May 30th, 2013 at 2:41 pm

Right, I didn’t ADD any salt myself. Some people shake in salt into their PB, whereas I did not and relied only on the amount of salt that was on the peanuts; I didn’t add any to it. Splitting hairs I would say :)

Glad you were able to try this and the chocolate version I’ve made is great, but my fave is the butterscotch-white chocolate chip version!

• Nikki 73 replied: — July 9th, 2013 at 4:53 pm

Just to quote Averie….she did say what options to use.
      “16 ounce bag or jar of peanuts (use honey roasted, plain, salted, unsalted, or try a jar of mixed nuts)”

;)

Timmyfan — May 31, 2013 at 10:19 am

Wait a minute now, I hate dark chocolate! I’ll take store bought milk chocolate over even the finest dark chocolate, any day of the week!

Heather E — June 3, 2013 at 9:52 am

I made this last night! Perfect! I made the peanut butter, and left half of it plain. The second half, I put in Cacao Nibs and a little sweetener — so delicious! Thank you for such simple instructions and lovely pictures!

• Averie Sunshine replied: — June 3rd, 2013 at 5:18 pm

Glad you tried this and enjoyed! In the related recipes section of the post, I also have a recipe/idea for chocolate PB. Love it! Even more, I love the white chocolate-butterscotch one I also have linked. Thanks for LMK you tried this and it worked perfectly!

isa — June 4, 2013 at 5:28 pm

Helloo! Thanx for that nice recipe, i really like it, but i got a little question about the peanuts, in my country there is no honey roasted peanuts, so please tell me what can i replace them with? Will roasted peanuts and some added honey works? thanx for every thing, you are the best ^^.

• Averie Sunshine replied: — June 4th, 2013 at 7:55 pm

Just use your favorite peanuts; lightly salted, or whatever kind you like best. Enjoy!

• isa replied: — June 5th, 2013 at 6:52 am

Thank you so much for the answer, see you with some other recipes!

Jacquie Garcia — June 22, 2013 at 1:50 am

I made this with Planters roasted nuts with sea salt- from a can. SOOOOOOooooo good and sooooo easy! Who knew!?
    Thanks for posting this!
    I have had in a jar in the fridge for a week, no seperating and did I say it was yummy!? :-)

• Averie Sunshine replied: — June 22nd, 2013 at 2:54 am

So glad you enjoyed it and are on board! If I know I’m going to eat it within 2-3 weeks, I sometimes keep it at room temp – sometimes I like it chilled though and keep it in the fridge. Just depends on my mood. Thanks for trying it!

Meagan — June 25, 2013 at 4:10 pm

I was trying to find a recipe for peanut butter that would be healthy and easy. Boy did I find a gem. I just made this and it was oh my goodness wonderful. I used trader joes unsealed roasted peanuts that I had in the pantry and added a tiny bit of agave nectar for sweetness. Thank you for sharing this!

• Averie Sunshine replied: — June 25th, 2013 at 5:05 pm

So glad you tried it and are a fan and a believer now! Thanks for coming back to LMK!

Eric — June 28, 2013 at 11:16 am

I’ve just finished making the 3rd batch. Here in Brazil the available brands are all full of sugar and oil (to an extent tha they don’t even taste like peanut butter at all) and jars of imported brands are very expensive. No need to say that this recipe is precious. Thank you so much!

kim — June 29, 2013 at 10:18 am

I just made this today, I added just a drop of vanilla and this tastes so incredibly good!! Thanks for the recipe, can’t wait to play with it!

NancyC — July 9, 2013 at 11:05 am

Oh.My.Goodness! I never would have thought to do home made peanut butter this way! And all the options for different flavors…Yummy! I’m on my way to the store and have added peanuts to my list. Thanks!

Nikki 73 — July 9, 2013 at 4:58 pm

I was wondering if anyone used the NutriBullet for this? It has a “milling” blade and perhaps it could work. I don’t own a food processor. :(

• Averie Sunshine replied: — July 9th, 2013 at 5:00 pm

You could try it but definitely do it in small batches and be prepared for it to take awhile! If you have 29.99, I would highly recommend going to Target or similar and just buying a very entry-level food proc. You will make your money back in no time on it just with PB alone :)

Deb Fox — July 12, 2013 at 12:59 am

First, I LOVE that you wrote a book about peanut butter!

We eat it by the spoonfuls in our house – homemade kind like this! I have been making peanut butter like this for over 10 years….no one ever believes me when I say it doesn’t have oil! I learned it by watching the video that came with our food processor (my husband thought I was crazy to do it, but boy it paid off!) We pour it on ice cream when it is fresh out of the food processor, it is my standard potluck dip plate with apples and we give it as gifts with chocolate covered pretzels! Yummmm….

Can’t wait to try your other recipes!!!!

• Averie Sunshine replied: — July 12th, 2013 at 1:03 am

Thanks, Deb, for your support and that is so cool you’ve been doing it for 10 years! Ive only been doing it for maybe 3 or 4. Pouring it on ice cream, when it’s hot off the presses, so to speak – boy that sounds great! LMK what recipes of mine you try!

Faye Bowling — July 12, 2013 at 5:25 am

When I am in France during the summer, I miss peanut butter so much.. for me it is a quick protein that gives me a lift. Peanut butter is DEAR in Europe, so I usually take my own, but this year I will be flying and can’t take as much in the luggage so the peanut butter is a no go..but I can buy peanuts there and I do have the equipment so I will try this when I get there. Thanks! They also do not have dill pickles..bummer

Karen — July 12, 2013 at 7:59 am

My understanding is that peanuts are all GMO unless they are organic. I would recommend purchasing only organic peanuts.

Melanie — July 13, 2013 at 7:34 am

How long will peanut butter (and other nut butters like this) keep in the fridge?

• Averie Sunshine replied: — July 13th, 2013 at 4:55 pm

Reread the post/recipe – it’s discussed at length.

Ashley — July 16, 2013 at 8:04 am

I can’t wait to try this recipe! How long does peanut butter keep?

• Averie Sunshine replied: — July 16th, 2013 at 8:15 am

Reread the post/recipe – it’s discussed at length.

Bryan — July 21, 2013 at 5:51 pm

You can also use this process to make Almond Butter with Almonds.You use the same amount of nuts to make 1 1/2 cups of Almond Butter too. I’m looking forward to making the peanut butter,I love chunky Peanut Butter so I thought I’d crush some of the nuts in a baggy or a paper bag to get the crunchy taste.Thanks Again.

• Averie Sunshine replied: — July 21st, 2013 at 5:55 pm

Almonds take a bit longer to process than peanuts for anyone who reads this. Just a heads up.

And you can make crunchy PB by just not processing it down quite as long at the very end. Keep an eye on it and just shut off the food proc before it gets perfectly smooth. No need to mess around with paper bags! :)

Aaron — July 21, 2013 at 6:10 pm

I got really excited when I saw this recipe so I went to my bulk store and got a pound of honey roasted peanuts , white chocolate chips and cinnamon.

I’m not sure if the blade on your food processor is longer, (it is more serrated looking than mine) but I found that after the peanuts were broken into small chunks, they would just get blown to the sides of the canister and I’d have to scrape them down.

My solution was to empty the broken up nuts into a bowl and mix 2-3 tablespoons of peanut oil into them before placing them back into the food processor.
    This made things stick together and in short time I had smooth peanut butter that was easy to mix the white chocolate chips and cinnamon into.

I think next time I’ll just use roasted peanuts and forgo any additions, since this tastes like eating candy. Not something I’d eat every day

• Averie Sunshine replied: — July 21st, 2013 at 6:13 pm

You can see from the step by step photos my process and my food processor and the stages – I don’t have any of the issues you described or have to scrape things down or add any oil. Glad you found a process that works with your machine though. And yes, adding white chocolate will make the peanut butter sweeter and more candy-like – that’s the point for me :) Skip it if you prefer plainer PB.

• Dana replied: — August 27th, 2013 at 1:56 pm

HI, I had a similar problem trying to make peanut butter with my vitamix last night. The peanuts turned into a thick paste, got stuck, and never got thin. I’m wondering if you have to use a good amount of peanuts? I probably only used 8 to 12 ounces. Maybe that’s too little?
        On another note, do you have a tool or trick to getting stuff out of the bottom of your vitamix like peanut butter or hummus? I feel like I lose more than I’d like of things I make.
        thanks, Dana

• Averie Sunshine replied: — August 27th, 2013 at 3:08 pm

Making nut butter in the Vita-Mix is VERY challenging. Google it and watch some youtube videos because people do do it, but I don’t. I use my food proc. It’s the one singular job where using a food proc (even a cheapie one) is far better and easier to using a Vita, in my opinion. Because what you describe with the paste, stuck, etc. Yes that is prone to happening.

8 to 12 ounces, you mean like about 1 to 1 1/2 cups? I would say that’s on the skimpy side for using a Vita, too. The blades need a certain amount to really get going b/c there’s that 1-inch space or so that things just go under the blades and then as you know, it all just gets stuck.

And there is no secret to getting hummus or anything sloppy out of the Vita other than a spatula you don’t care about (since it seems to erode them) and taking your time. But with PB, I use my food proc. If you have one, use that for PB. If you don’t, a $49 food proc from Target will be your new best friend for PB making.

lyann — August 10, 2013 at 4:57 am

thank you! When I made my peanut butter I stopped at the big ball stage thinking it will never smooth out! Now I know.

• Averie Sunshine replied: — August 10th, 2013 at 9:29 am

It does and will and now you know – but yes, if you stop at the big ball stage, it looks like things are doomed but it all works out :)

Susan Jensen — August 26, 2013 at 3:40 pm

I have been blending for a half hour and it will not get to the last smooth stage. Just thick and lumpy. What am I doing wrong?

• Averie Sunshine replied: — August 26th, 2013 at 4:00 pm

I have no idea. Maybe the peanuts you bought were very, very dry. Maybe your food processor isn’t performing well. You could try adding a small amount of canola/vegetable oil and see if that helps. I have made this hundreds and hundreds of times and have never had any problems nor have I had any readers write in with your issue. Sorry!

Barbara Valenti — August 27, 2013 at 10:24 am

Hi, I tried to make the Cashew butter, but it didn’t get liquid. I stayed completely dry and I had to ad Rice-cream and Tahin to make it liquid. What did I make wrong?

• Averie Sunshine replied: — August 27th, 2013 at 12:36 pm

Well this recipe is for Peanut Butter, not cashew butter, but in theory, cashew butter would be the same. Put the cashews in a food proc and blend. It has to do with the strength of your food processor more than anything. Sometimes, if the nuts were very, very dry or old and had little natural oil, it may take longer for them to break down and turn smooth, but I’ve never had a problem. I would attribute it to your food processor strength but that’s just my guess from afar.

ROBIN, HUNTSVILLE TX — September 4, 2013 at 9:41 am

This is a great “tutorial”. I have not tried doing peanuts, but will. I have, however, recently made almond butter. It came out pretty good with the addition of a little olive oil. It was also more grainy than store-bought, but maybe I didn’t process long enough. After that batch, I tried it with those cocoa almonds. Delish!

• Averie Sunshine replied: — September 4th, 2013 at 2:24 pm

Peanuts are easier to turn into nut butter than almonds b/c they’re a softer nut and a bit oilier so you likely won’t need any oil and will have a much easier time than you did with the almonds. Lmk if you try!

Yesika — September 18, 2013 at 8:40 am

I just made this using Roasted Almonds w/ no added salt. I used my food processor, but it took a bit longer than 5 min. It seemed to turn the Almonds more into an almond meal than a butter, it started to get caked down under the blade and when i broke it apart, it seemed to feel more like a pie crust (which Im sure would be yummy). I used about a teaspoon and a half of coconut oil to fix it. Came out super yummy!!! So excited to have homemade almond butter, have been wanting to make it for a long time…now that I know how easy it is, ill never buy it again!

Thanks!!!

• Averie Sunshine replied: — September 18th, 2013 at 5:57 pm

Funny you should write and say this about making AB. I just made some sunflower seed butter and have a post going out about it next week. It takes much longer than 5 mins for AB as well as for SFSB and b/c neither almonds nor sunflower seeds have as much natural oil as peanuts, adding a few drizzles of oil may be necessary. Not always, but sometimes, in some machines, with some nuts/seeds. So glad you have your homemade AB now! Sounds wonderful with coconut oil!

Kirin — October 9, 2013 at 10:23 pm

This homemade peanut butter would be great with the sandwich spread my grandmother taught me to make. Take peanut butter, stir in some apple butter and a little cream cheese. Add raisins to taste and blend well. Makes a great sandwich filler.

Nancy — October 10, 2013 at 8:54 pm

Is there any possible way to make a home made Goober’s peanut butter / grape jelly? I love that more than the original peanut butters without jelly.

• Averie Sunshine replied: — October 10th, 2013 at 9:10 pm

I’ve never had it so I don’t know what it tastes like. Do you have a link to it?

LisaMarie Soudelier — October 17, 2013 at 6:59 pm

wondering, I love this store bought peanut butter by planters its called nutrion and has granola, banana and raisins. I should be able to add these things to my own peanut butter wouldn’t you think or are these things that will not stay mixed well?

• Averie Sunshine replied: — October 17th, 2013 at 8:12 pm

Granola and raisins, fine. Banana – I would use banana extract since the thought of an actual banana in PB is not great after a day…it would turn brown and be a recipe for a bacterial breeding grounds as the banana continues to ripen (rot) inside the PB.

Aude Sapere — October 21, 2013 at 11:28 am

When I moved to Italy 4 years ago, I found that peanut butter was unavailable and unheard of. I first bought roasted peanuts, shelled them and ground them with a mortar and pestle! A lot of work, but worth it. Then I found that a coffee grinder works well. I just add a bit of olive oil after grinding, No need to refrigerate because it’s gone in a few days. I spread it on top of my home-made gluten and sugar-free chestnut flour banana cake for breakfast. Scrumptious!

• Averie Sunshine replied: — October 21st, 2013 at 1:21 pm

Doing a single serving in a coffee grinder is such a good idea! Great thinking and tip. I need to try that!

Susan Nobles — October 29, 2013 at 6:20 am

Hi Averie!

This is weird, I don’t know you, but I love you! Thank you so much for the home-made peanut butter recipe!! It is absolutely fabulous and simple.

I just made it this morning for the first time, since I’m unemployed at the moment and I’m playing Susie Homemaker and trying all sorts of recipes with items I can afford. I will never buy store peanut butter again.
    Quick, easy and fun to make. Unsalted, dry roasted peanuts and around 2 tablespoons of honey. I am so amazed at myself right now! hehehe

Anyway, thanks and keep those ideas coming.

Susan

• Averie Sunshine replied: — October 29th, 2013 at 9:04 am

Well I am thrilled that you’re so happy with the recipe and method! Just so you know, I still do bake cookies and bars with storebought PB. Some people have good luck baking with homemade while others don’t so for uniformity sake with readers, I bake with Jif so the results can be duplicated. But for eating and not baking, homemade ALWAYS!