Peanut Butter Brookies
A soft and chewy peanut butter cookie base with a rich fudgy brownie top, what could be better.
The recipe comes from Dorothy who blogs at Crazy for Crust. Not only is she an amazing baker but she’s one of my best friends. We started as online friends but have become real life friends. With this online job I have, real life and online life blur together and friends like Dorothy are cherished.
We’ve met up in San Diego, Santa Monica, San Francisco, and took a crazy whirlwind trip to Nashville where we flew from California to Nashville (and back!) in 26 hours total. We ran a half marathon together over Labor Day weekend at Disneyland and brought our daughters. Our daughters are about the same age and get along fabulously. Dorothy and I share a passion for laughing over cocktails, cheeseboards, and desserts. So it was about time I made something from her cookbook and the brookies are a winner.
Dorothy wrote in her book that she uses her favorite peanut butter cookie base (mine too) and her favorite brownie recipe on top. I love it when brownies have a thin, crackly top and stay fudgy underneath and these are perfect.
Soft, chewy, and wonderful with peanut butter and chocolate married together in every bite. The recipe is easy, not fussy, all you need is two bowls, and you don’t even need to use a mixer, perfect.
Peanut Butter Brookies
A soft and chewy peanut butter cookie base with a rich fudgy brownie recipe on top. The brownies have a thin, crackly top and stay fudgy underneath. The brookies are soft, chewy, and wonderful with peanut butter and chocolate married together in every bite. The recipe is easy, not fussy, all you need is two bowls, and you don’t even need to use a mixer.
Peanut Butter Cookie Crust
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter (use something like Skippy or Jif for best results, not an oily ‘natural’ peanut butter that separates)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1 large egg
- 2 ounces unsweetened baking chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 2 ounces semi-sweet baking chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter ( 1 1/2 sticks)
- 1 3/4 cups granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Peanut Butter Cookie Crust – Preheat oven to 350F. Spray a 9×13-inch pan with cooking spray or line with foil and spray with cooking spray for easy cleanup.
- Stir together the peanut butter, sugars, and egg in a large bowl.
- Press the dough into the bottom of the prepared pan. The dough layer will be thin. It helps to spay your hands with cooking spray if using your hands, or use a spatula and take your time to spread it out; set aside.
- Brownies – Melt the two chocolates (I used 4 ounces of Trader Joe’s 72% Pound Plus bar instead of two types of chocolate) and butter together in a large, microwave-safe bowl on high in 30-second increments, stirring between each, until the mixture is smooth.
- Whisk in the sugar, eggs, and vanilla.
- Carefully stir in the flour and salt, don’t overmix.
- Evenly pour batter over peanut butter layer, lightly spreading it with a spatula.
- Bake for about 32 to 38 minutes, until the top is no longer glossy and is slightly cracked around the edges. Cool completely in pan before slicing and serving. Store in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
Recipe from Dessert Mash-Ups, reprinted with permissionMY OTHER RECIPES
All images and content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or simply link back to this post for the recipe. Thank you.
Loaded Oreo Cream Cheese Brownies – Ultra fudgy brownies topped with cream cheese, white chocolate chips, chocolate chips, and Oreos! Easy, no mixer recipe that’s as easy as using a mix!
The Best German Chocolate Brownies – Rich, ultra fudgy brownies topped with the best German chocolate frosting! Sinfully delicious! Easy, no-mixer recipe that’s an automatic hit with everyone!
The Best Turtle Brownies – Super fudgy and loaded with chocolate, pecans and caramel! So.crazy.good!
Texas Sheetcake Brownies –
Oreo Cream Cheese Brownies – Fudgy brownies with a layer of cream cheese and tons of Oreos! They’ll be your new favorites!
Peanut Butter Cup Cheesecake Brownies – Fudgy brownies with a layer of peanut butter cheesecake and topped with peanuts and peanut butter cups! Rich, decadent, and amazing! A must-make for all peanut butter lovers!
Chocolate Coconut Mounds Bar Brownies – Like eating a Mounds candy bar that’s on top of rich, fudgy brownies! Easy and oh so good!
Andes Mint Brownies – Super fudgy brownies loaded with Andes! Chocolate + mint is the best! Meet your new favorite brownies and so easy!
Salted Caramel Pretzel-Topped Fudgy Brownies – Super fudgy scratch brownies as easy as a mix and the salty-and-sweet combo is irresistible!
Fudgy Peanut Butter Cup Brownies – Easy, one-bowl, no mixer brownies with a full-size PB cup in every brownie! As fast as using mix and tastes way better!
Homemade Little Debbie Cosmic Brownies – A dead ringer for the real thing and just so good!