Cream Cheese Oreo Brownies — If you’re looking for an over-the-top decadent brownie recipe, look no further. Ultra fudgy, rich brownies are topped with a layer of cream cheese spiked with white chocolate chips, before sprinkling Oreos and semi-sweet chocolate chips on top!
Fully Loaded Oreo Brownies
This Oreo cream cheese brownie recipe came to me as I was trying to thin out my half-opened packages of baking chips and Oreos, much like these Loaded M&M’s Oreo Cookie Bars did a couple years ago. Sometimes the best results come when I wing it, and as a bonus I have less half-opened packages of baking supplies in my already over-crowded pantry.
This result? Oreo cookie brownie heaven. So much goodness in every bite. The dense, dark chocolate brownies are a perfect complement to the sweet-yet-tangy cream cheese. The white chocolate chips and semi-sweet chocolate chips add texture while the Oreos add crunch.
I used my favorite brownie base for these cream cheese Oreo brownies. It’s an easy, one-bowl, no-mixer recipe that’s as fast as using a boxed mix, and they turn out perfectly fudgy with zero cakiness every single time. It’s a brownie base I’ve fallen in love with because it’s easy and always delivers amazing results.
Then you layer. The cream cheese layer is spiked with white chocolate chips, then I heaped on Oreos with more milk chocolate chips, because who doesn’t love chocolatey Oreo brownies?
Everyone is going to love these loaded brownie cheesecake bars, and they’re perfect for events and parties because you can make them a few days ahead of time. Store them in the fridge and serve them chilled.
What’s in Oreo Brownies?
For these easy Oreo cookie brownies, you’ll need:
- Unsalted butter
- Dark chocolate
- Granulated sugar
- Vanilla extract
- Brewed coffee
- Instant espresso
- All-purpose flour
- Cream cheese
- White chocolate chips
- Semi-sweet chocolate chips
How to Make Oreo Brownies
These brownies take some extra TLC to make since there’s some layering involved, but overall they’re really easy to make. You’ll first need to make the brownie batter (it’s a straightforward recipe, and I’m sure you’ve made similar brownies before). Turn the brownie batter into a greased baking pan, then move onto the cream cheese layer.
To make the cream cheese layer, simply beat together the softened cream cheese, egg, and sugar, and then stir in the white chocolate chips by hand. Carefully dollop the cream cheese mixture over the raw brownie batter layer and use the back of a spoon to spread it out.
Sprinkle the brownie cheesecake bars with crushed Oreos and chocolate chips and then bake until set. The toothpick test is tricky with these Oreo brownies since you’ll likely hit melted chocolate chips and soft cream cheese, but test a few patches when inserting the toothpick into the deepest brownie layer. You’ll know these brownies are done when they feel ‘thick’ and set and not runny.
Can I Use Another Kind of Chocolate Chips?
Of course! You can use any chocolate chips you’d like in this recipe (this is a clean out the pantry brownie recipe, after all). You can even chop up a bar of chocolate you have lying around in place of the chocolate chips.
Can I Make These Oreo Brownies with a Boxed Mix?
Probably, yes. But the fudgy brownie base is so easy to make and tastes a million times better than any boxed brownie mix I’ve tried!
Tips for Making Oreo Brownies
The brownies call for instant espresso powder and a tablespoon of brewed coffee. Both are optional, but I highly recommend using them if you have them on hand! Your brownies won’t taste at all like coffee, but both will bring out the rich chocolate flavor of the brownies even more.
Also note that when spreading the cream cheese mixture over the brownies you should leave a 1/2-inch border around the sides of the pan. The cream cheese is prone to burning, so give it some space.
Lastly, you must chill these Oreo brownies before serving them. Oreo cream cheese brownies need time to firm up in the fridge, otherwise they won’t slice right.
Want to see how to make Oreo brownies? Watch the video!
Pin This Recipe
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (1 stick)
- 6 ounces dark or bittersweet chocolate, chopped (I used Trader Joe’s 72% Pound Plus Bar)
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon brewed coffee (leftover or cold coffee is okay), optional but recommended
- 1 teaspoon instant espresso granules, optional but recommended
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 8 ounces brick-style cream cheese, softened (I used lite)
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup white chocolate chips
- 12 Oreo cookies, chopped (I chop each cookie in 6 to 9 pieces)
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
Make the Brownie Batter
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line an 8-inch square pan with aluminum foil leaving overhang and spray with cooking spray, or grease and flour the pan; set aside.
- To a large microwave-safe bowl, add the butter, chocolate, and heat on high power to melt, about 2 minutes. Stop to check and stir after 1 minute. Heat in 15-second increments until chocolate has melted and mixture can be stirred smooth. Allow mixture to cool momentarily before adding the eggs so they don’t scramble.
- Add the eggs, sugar, vanilla, optional coffee, optional espresso granules (neither make brownies taste like coffee and both enhance and round out the chocolate flavor), and whisk vigorously to combine.
- Add the flour, salt, and stir until smooth and combined without overmixing.
- Turn batter out into prepared pan, smoothing the top lightly with a spatula as necessary; set aside.
Make the Cream Cheese Layer
- To a medium bowl, add the cream cheese, egg, sugar, and beat with a handheld electric mixer on high speed for about 2 minutes, or until mixture is smooth. Stop to scrape down the sides of the bowl as necessary.
- Add the white chocolate chips and stir to combine.
- Turn mixture out over the brownie layer in heaping tablespoon-sized dollops, leaving a bare 1/2-inch perimeter around the edges (the cream cheese is prone to burning if you add it right up to the edge so leave some space). Take your time and evenly smooth the dollops together to form an solid layer.
Assemble and Bake the Brownies
- Evenly sprinkles the Oreos, chocolate chips, and bake for about 43 to 45 minutes, or until brownies are done. The toothpick test is tricky since you’ll hit melted chocolate chips and soft cream cheese, but test a few patches and when inserting the toothpick into the deepest brownie layer, it should feel ‘thick’ and set and not runny. Allow brownies to cool uncovered on a wire rack for about 2 hours.
- Cover with foil and refrigerate for at least 3 to 4 hours (I prefer overnight) before slicing and serving. The cream cheese needs to be chilled and set before slicing. Brownies will keep airtight in the fridge for up to 1 week. They’re best served chilled.
Recipe adapted from my Oreo Cream Cheese Brownies.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 503Total Fat: 32gSaturated Fat: 18gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 89mgSodium: 229mgCarbohydrates: 49gFiber: 3gSugar: 35gProtein: 7g
More Homemade Brownies:
Peanut Butter Cup Cheesecake Brownies — Fudgy brownies with a layer of peanut butter cheesecake and topped with peanuts and peanut butter cups! Rich, decadent, and amazing! A must-make for all peanut butter lovers!
White and Dark Chocolate Cream Cheese Chocolate Cake Bars – Chocolate cake with chocolate chips, white chocolate chips and filled with cream cheese! Fast, easy, and foolproof!
The Best Turtle Brownies – Super fudgy and loaded with chocolate, pecans and caramel! So.crazy.good!
Chocolate Coconut Mounds Bar Brownies – Like eating a Mounds candy bar that’s on top of rich, fudgy brownies! Easy and oh so good!
Andes Mint Brownies – Super fudgy brownies loaded with Andes! Chocolate + mint is the best! Meet your new favorite brownies and so easy!
Salted Caramel Pretzel-Topped Fudgy Brownies – Super fudgy scratch brownies as easy as a mix and the salty-and-sweet combo is irresistible!
Loaded Fudgy Candy Bar Brownies – Perfect for using extra candy you have! There’s no such thing as too much chocolate!
Fudgy Peanut Butter Cup Brownies – Easy, one-bowl, no mixer brownies with a full-size PB cup in every brownie! As fast as using mix and tastes way better!
Homemade Little Debbie Cosmic Brownies – A dead ringer for the real thing and just so good!
The Best German Chocolate Brownies — Rich, ultra fudgy brownies topped with the best German chocolate frosting! Sinfully delicious! Easy, no-mixer recipe that’s an automatic hit with everyone!
Loaded M&M Oreo Cookie Bars — Stuffed to the max with M&Ms and Oreos! Easy, no-mixer recipe that’s ready in 30 minutes. Always a hit at parties!