Peanut Butter Comparison

I love peanut butter and to be without it, even when traveling and away from home, just isn’t something I prefer.

While in Aruba, I got a little adventurous and tried some of the peanut butter sold in the local Aruban grocery stores. Key word is adventurous since I can’t read Dutch and many products are imported from Holland because Aruba is a Dutch island.

Let’s compare and review:

1. Speculaaspasta

Technically, this isn’t peanut butter. It’s the Dutch equivalent of Cookie Butter Spread or Biscoff Spread

As I explained here, it’s identical to Trader Joe’s Cookie Butter Spread and it’s highly delicious and addictive.  Imagine gingersnaps crushed, blended, and turned into a thick, rich, cinnamony-gingery paste

Don’t leave me alone with a jar of it or cookie butter. They’re the same or with Biscoff, which is nearly the same.

I used the Dutch Speculaaspasta spread when I made these Chocolate Banana and Biscoff Graham Bars

2. Jumbo Pindakaas

I bought this because of the word Naturel on the label and thought I was going to get something close to my Homemade Peanut Butter or your garden variety natural peanut butter.

Instead, I got a really peppery peanut butter that was fairly thick. I didn’t like the flavor but Skylar loved it. A five year old who loved peppery peanut butter.

I think Jumbo Pindakaas would be great used in Two Minute- Peanut Sauce for Fresh Spring Rolls (raw, vegan, GF)

Or as the base of a salad dressing or in the marinade for Peanut Sauce Baked Tofu (vegan, GF) because I think the peppery flavor would complement savory foods.

3. Quino Pindakaas

I also bought this in the hopes that it would be like my beloved homemade peanut butter because it looked fairly ‘natural’ in the glass jar. There were tiny peanut flecks I could see when peering through the glass, and I had high hopes for it but unfortunately, it was really salty.

I prefer sweeter peanut butter, or honey-roasted, and this was a bit too salty for my day-to-day eating.

However, it was perfect in Combos Pretzel and Salted Caramel Peanut Butter Bars (no-bake)

I actually kind of made these bars because of this peanut butter. And because I couldn’t walk past a bag of Combos and not buy them.

4. Planters Creamy Peanut Butter

I wanted Jif Creamy Peanut Butter but the only size available was approaching a half-gallon and even I didn’t need that much peanut butter so Planters was fine. Run of the mill American processed peanut butter for sale in Aruba is like having a comforting blanket and reminds me of home.

I like to bake with creamy, non-natural peanut butter like Jif or Planters and have a few tricks and recipes similar to this one up my sleeve that I used Planters for.

5. Peter Pan Honey Roast Creamy

Since I was striking out with Dutch-labeled peanut butter that I thought would be natural-tasting and wasn’t getting what I wanted and can’t make my own because I don’t have a food processor here…

…I knew this would handle my midnight cravings. And it did.

Keep me away from a spoon and this jar, especially at night. Sweet, creamy, and everything I want when I’m having honey-roasted peanut butter cravings and can’t make it.

What’s your favorite peanut butter?

What’s your favorite nut butter or spread?

My favorite peanut butter for eating off the spoon is my homemade honey-roasted peanut butter which takes less than 10 minutes and is the stuff my dreams are made of and I don’t care if it’s 3am when I get back to San Diego from Aruba, I will probably turn on my food processor and make a batch. I know I have some unopened TJ’s honey roasted peanuts in my cupboard.

My favorite peanut butter for baking is Jif Creamy because it just whips into perfection, doesn’t spread or run, isn’t too thin, and sometimes ‘processed’ is good when planning to bake with it.

When I don’t want my peanut butter cookies (GF) to spread

Or marshmallow peanut butter bars (GF) to turn into a soupy mess, Jif it is. Plus, Jif is the peanut butter I grew up with and a nostalgic favorite.

In terms of non-peanut butter nut butters, I don’t really like almond butter. I know it’s popular, but it tends to be too thin, too runny, and too bland for my tastes.

I prefer Sunflower Seed Butter (I buy Trader Joe’s) or try the SunButter brand is widely available at many grocery stores or at Whole Foods. Sunflower seed butter is sweet, smooth, and has a very distinct taste that I love. It’s on the thinner side but the flavor more than makes up for the runnier consistency. This is another nut butter that I need to stay away from after the clock strikes midnight, which seems to be when I do my best spoon and jar maneuvers.

I love Nutella and will spread it on anything and make Nutella & Peanut Butter Graham Bars with Chocolate Frosting (No Bake)with it.

Who can resist the stuff?

I like making my own Chocolate Coconut Cashew Butter (vegan, GF). It’s what I’d imagine Nutella made from cashews rather than hazelnuts, and with coconut added, would probably taste like.

I have all my Peanut Butter Recipes compiled here

And I have a Peanut Butter Pinterest Board

Tell me about your favorite nut butters, peanut butters, and spreads.

112 Responses to “Peanut Butter Comparison”

Marina@Picnic at Marina — August 28, 2012 at 7:03 pm

Well, no peanut butter for me, but I love sunflower butter, then cashew butter, then hazelnut butter… And any of those I can scoop out the whole jar in a day, especially if it’s not sweetened. :)
    I made something today, come see it, please, I hope you like it! :)

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers — August 28, 2012 at 7:25 pm

Love this post! I really don’t care for jarred peanut butter, it’s just not he same as homemade. I used jar stuff for baking and homemade for spooning and putting on things like toast, yogurt and ice cream. I too use the Trader Joe’s honey roasted nuts to my my PB, but I like to throw in some crushed pretzels for fun! Dam that stuff is addicting and now you got me craving it! Time to make some PB!!

Oh and when I was in Europe this summer, thats when I discovered Nutella! Bad, bad, bad!!!! I love the stuff and I love your post today!!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — August 28th, 2012 at 9:18 pm

you JUST discovered Nutella? Well at least you didn’t know what you were missing all those years :)

and pretzels in your own homemade PB sounds delish!

Alex@Spoonful of Sugar Free — August 28, 2012 at 7:26 pm

I love this! I’ve always wanted to do a peanut butter comparison, only with natural peanut butters (because I can’t eat the sugary kinds). My favorite is Whole Food’s crunchy brand. It is soooo tasty. Smucker’s natural is good, but too salty. Also, freshly-pressed peanut butter is always amazing!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — August 28th, 2012 at 9:17 pm

I know what you mean about too salty – salt just masks the natural peanut essence!

lindsay — August 28, 2012 at 7:32 pm

i think i would like yours! but really, i like the new zealand/ Australian kraft crunch peanut butter the best. Its kinda of thick and crusty, weird, eh? but good!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — August 28th, 2012 at 9:16 pm

companies like kraft, nestle, etc I’ve noticed have North American products and then rest of the world products, from their asian and latin markets to their down under markets…thick n crusty could be perfect in the right application!

Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts — August 28, 2012 at 7:37 pm

What a fun thing to do on your trip. Test all sorts of peanut butter…I could think of worse things for sure :) We did notice when we were in New Zealand that they varied a lot!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — August 28th, 2012 at 9:15 pm

It wasn’t even on purpose – I just kept buying things I DIDN’T like so kept trying things til I found what I wanted!

Jen @ Savory Simple — August 28, 2012 at 8:10 pm

Oh man, I was just going off on the blog a few days ago about how I can’t keep cookie butter around. I’ll eat half the jar with a spoon on day 1.

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — August 28th, 2012 at 9:15 pm

I’m that way with honey roasted PB. Cookie butter, I love it, yes, but lately it’s been back to old fashioned H.R.P.B. for me!

Ellen — August 28, 2012 at 8:12 pm

I’m with you on jif creamy! No crunchy for me…

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — August 28th, 2012 at 9:14 pm

In baking, very rarely, like 1x a year, maybe, do I actually want a crunch in my baked goods so the smooth ‘n creamy just works better for melting, sauces, etc.

Michele Sparrow — August 28, 2012 at 8:13 pm

Well, in our family, Seraphim and I both have a sensitivity to peanut butter, although we both absolutely LOVE it. :-( Simeon prefers Nutella and will eat it by the spoonful or wants sandwiches in his school lunch with nutella only and will ask for 2 and polish them off. Isaac preferes maple or vanilla flavored almond butter. I don’t mind cashew butter, but it just isn’t as sweet tasting as peanut butter to me, although I absolutely love cashews. They are my favorite nut! Almond butter, not so much. It’s too grainy for me. When I make your maple nut oaties, I sub in sunflower butter. We are all over the place! :-)

• Michele Sparrow replied: — August 28th, 2012 at 8:25 pm

Oh…and saw your delicious chocolate cake on Foodgawker!! Woot! :-)

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — August 28th, 2012 at 9:13 pm

I didnt know that about your sensitivity – wow, that’s too bad! Glad to hear you have LOTS of different options going though …and thanks for noticing my cake on FG :)

Lea — August 28, 2012 at 8:25 pm

Whole Food’s brand salted peanut butter is absolutely my favorite peanut butter ever. A jar lasts less than a week in my hands – not even close to exaggerating.
    I found an old (from 1975!) peanut butter machine in my attic recently that used to be my grandmother’s and I’m having lots of fun trying out new types of nut butter with it. So far I’ve made peanut butter, almond butter and sunflower seed butter and they’ve all turned out delicious. The machine is great because you don’t have to scrap down the sides like you do in a food processor, just pour the nuts in the hopper, flip the switch and boom, nut butter.

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — August 28th, 2012 at 9:12 pm

if you love the WFs salted PB I bet you’d have loved one of the ones in this post that’s salty.

An old fashioned PB machine?! Never even knew they existed – WOW!! I dont have to stop and scrape down the sides of my food proc but it’s a pretty fancy schmancy one – but now I want one of these machines :) HOW FUN!

Judi — August 28, 2012 at 8:31 pm

I picked up a jar of Cherry Vanilla Peanut Butter last time I was in Portales, NM. They have lots of flavors. I haven’t tried the cherry vanilla yet, but I will be soon! I also made my first Trader Joe’s cookie butter purchase the other day! Can’t wait to try it too!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — August 28th, 2012 at 9:10 pm

I’ve seen that Sunland flavor before but haven’t tried it!

Angela / Canned Time — August 28, 2012 at 8:33 pm

Such a great post. I love cookie butter but can’t justify the calaries so I try to stick to homemade Sunflower Seed butter. I’ve added in cocao powder to thicken it and some Stevia. It’s not as good as cookie butter but like you say, it will work at 3 am, or 3 pm…. Last week I made these Nut bars with tons of nuts and chocolate held together with peanut butter. I took them on a weekend trip and when I got home, I warmed the bars slightly, threw everything in the blender and came up with Chocolate Peanut Butter Pie. http://wp.me/p26wpj-PH Much better than the bars and even my husband will eat it! Thanks for the comparisons, I usually buy my grocery store brand of peanut butter but want to try your recipe soon. Not a fan of almond butter either. Have a safe trip home!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — August 28th, 2012 at 9:09 pm

Love the choc PB pie…mmmm, good! And also homemade Sunflower Seed butter — YUM!

Christine (The Raw Project) — August 28, 2012 at 8:53 pm

Very interesting comparison here, fun looking at the varieties in Aruba. Sounds liek Skylar’s tastes are maturing early. :-) And just wow on the recipe inspiration here, getting hungry! My fave is probably cashew or sunflower seed butter currently.

j3nn — August 28, 2012 at 9:21 pm

I’m not sure if I’ve ever had honey roasted peanut butter? I love honey roasted peanuts, so if it’s like that, then OMG. I like smooth PBs. We only had chunky growing up so I never liked PB much! Probably a good thing, haha.

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — August 29th, 2012 at 6:05 am

Jenn it will change your life if you’ve never had it???!! That would be crazy but okay, you need to either make some or buy some b/c you’ll be in heaven!

Jess — August 28, 2012 at 9:35 pm

I agree I don’t really care for almond butter! I love peanut butter and nutella too much! I really want to try that cookie butter. Although probably a good thing for my clothing size that I haven’t! :)

Katie — August 28, 2012 at 10:10 pm

What is it about the nighttime that makes the spoon gravitate towards that jar? I don’t eat it all day long and then the sun goes down and BAM, spoon in jar, repeat. It’s uncanny.

I grew up on Jif too and its the best for baking, and I’ll eat it straight if that’s all I have but I prefer the natural kinds to eat plain.

The sunflower seed butter I made isn’t nearly as thin as TJs or SunButter. I didn’t add any oil or salt to mine though. The seeds were roasted and salted, but nothing additional. I did put in a pinch of stevia because I’ve found that sunflower seed butters can be a little bitter without just a hint of sweetness. That should be first on your nut butter list for when you get home!

Erica — August 28, 2012 at 10:17 pm

I have TONS of peanuts on hand. I need to make homemade nut butter. I like the idea of buying products you’re not 100% sure of (due to a language barrier) and just giving them a go! I think its fantastic that your daughter has such diverse taste. Nom nom

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — August 29th, 2012 at 6:04 am

Start them young and just hope for the best – expose them to it all and some of it will stick is our approach :)

Michelle @ Eat Move Balance — August 29, 2012 at 2:14 am

I just made some of my first homemade nut butters! They are so good and sooooo fresh, I love it. I’m a huge fan of almond butter, but peanut butter is a close 2nd. and I like them plain–no added stuff. Yum!

Jess McG — August 29, 2012 at 2:22 am

Hi Averie! When I was growing up I was a huge fan of smooth & thick peanut butter… you know: the one that makes your tongue stick to the top of your mouth, haha! These days my favourite is the Whole Earth Organic peanut butter, Crunchy, with no added sugar. I can just eat spoonfuls of it… or I smear it onto your microwave banana oat cake :-) Delish!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — August 29th, 2012 at 6:03 am

“tongue stick to the top of your mouth” is the best kind! And glad you like themicrowave banana oat cake!

Sarah Van Alsten — August 29, 2012 at 3:42 am

You’ve got me on the nutellaalso! Any kind of pb works for me…. I’ve started liking homemade PUMPKIN peanut butter :)

Paula — August 29, 2012 at 4:05 am

There is ALWAYS a jar of PB in my house. I love making my own nut butters…so easy in the food processor! I’m a “mixer” so my favorite combo is macadamia-cashew -almond. Once it is out of the fridge, it does tend to get runny quickly so that is the only drawback for me to using some of the softer nuts. I love Planter’s natural for baking/sauce making.

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — August 29th, 2012 at 6:03 am

Ive never tried Planters Natural – Skippy & Jif Natural, but not Planters. I always store my homemade PB in the fridge b/c I like it slightly thicker and cool. I take it out about 10 mins before I’m going to use it and it’s perfect!

Elaine — August 29, 2012 at 5:07 am

Peter Pan Honey Roasted PB (or any honey roasted PB) is my absolute favorite to eat! It’s so dangerously addictive. There might have been a time or two that I ate an entire jar in a matter of days. So good, but sooo bad. For baking, I agree that Jif non-natural peanut butter is the best. Definitely produces the best results. Oh boy…now that I just read all about peanut butter, I’m reallllllllly craving it. Looks like I’ll be baking something with peanut butter tonight! :)

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — August 29th, 2012 at 6:01 am

If you like Peter Pan H.R. you HAVE to try making your own with H.R. peanuts – you’ll fall in love! I DID eat that entire jar in a matter of days.

Heather (Where's the Beach) — August 29, 2012 at 5:44 am

MMMM peanut butter…..I don’t really have a favorite. I don’t like it when it’s really salty though. But not sweet either. Just peanuts please ;-)

Ashley - baker by nature — August 29, 2012 at 6:01 am

Coconut butter has been my latest obsession, but I’d spread peanut butter on almost anything!

Jennifer Osborn — August 29, 2012 at 6:09 am

Jif peanut butter-smooth has been my favorite forever for baking or eating by the spoonful. Your post made me remember the peanutbutter shortage when I was a kid in the late ’70′s. I can’t remember why now there was a shortage but a PB&J had been my standard lunch for years, I didn’t want anything else but I had to switch over to cheese and deli meat for a while. Then my godfather came to visit us. He was living in Haiti at the time and he brought me a jar of all natural peanutbutter, which I found so liquidy and disgusting I couldn’t eat it. But, of course, I didn’t tell him that.

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — August 29th, 2012 at 6:28 am

there’s actually a bit of a shortage right now – about 2 yrs ago prices rose (I mean we’re talking a quarter or very nominal amount but for some people feeding a family or relying on it, it can add up) but Ive read it was due to peanut crops declining, inclement weather, etc. and it’s all agricultural supply and demand. Same thing with coffee. There IS a worldwide coffee shortage and coffee prices have risen about 20% in recent years. My TJs coffee went from 4.99 to 6.99, sometimes it goes down to 5.99 a can but it’s been interesting to watch.

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit — August 29, 2012 at 6:18 am

Fun! I love going to different places and trying my favorite foods in different forms – coconut butter, cereal, crackers… as long as they’re gluten-free + dairy-free, I’m game to try it all!

Elizabeth@ Food Ramblings — August 29, 2012 at 6:55 am

My fav peanut butter is Once Again Nut Butter– http://onceagainnutbutter.com/. Everyone should try it out :) And my cousin works there!!

Hayley @ The Domestic Rebel — August 29, 2012 at 7:03 am

That’s so odd that one of them tasted peppery–I can’t imagine!! At least your cutie little girl liked it–who knew?? And I don’t know WHY I’ve never bothered to try honey roasted pb, but I definitely need to.

Faith — August 29, 2012 at 7:27 am

This is such a great post. I’m a real peanut-butter loving girl too and I also grew up on Jif! You are right, it is hands-down the best for baking!

Caralyn @ glutenfreehappytummy — August 29, 2012 at 7:52 am

oh gosh Averie, those peanut putter concoctions are just magnificent!! WOW!

Melissa — August 29, 2012 at 8:19 am

I recently stumbled across your blog and made the chocolate coconut cashew butter. So good and dangerously addictive!

I’m a big fan of Teddie Peanut Butter and a jar of that stuff does not last long in my household. I also love Justin’s Honey Almond Nutbutter, if I want one that’s on the sweeter side.

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — August 29th, 2012 at 8:21 am

My friend told me that Justin’s AB is the best she’s ever had and she’s not even an AB fan…I must try it, and the honey AB!

thanks for LMK you made the choc coconut cashew butter and loved it :)

LiztheChef — August 29, 2012 at 8:53 am

Boy, what an eye-opener! I’m an old creamy Jif fan – totally out of it!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — August 30th, 2012 at 1:05 am

There’s a PB for everyone and in every price range; it’s like perfume —- sooooo many options!!

Laura Dembowski — August 29, 2012 at 8:58 am

I love peanut butter. My favorite now is homemade with plain roasted peanuts, but I also like Trader Joe’s Unsalted Creamy. I use one of those for baking too. I find that as long as I refrigerate the pb prior to baking with it, it has a texture very similar to the processed pbs and produces great results. I also like almond butter, but it’s not my favorite. I tried sunflower seed butter thinking I’d love it, but it did not mix with my taste buds at all. Of course, I looooove Biscoff and prefer it over peanut butter any day.

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — August 30th, 2012 at 1:04 am

that’s interesting you don’t like SFSButter but it’s very distinct…that’s kind of how I feel about A.B. Very meh.

Alicia Orozco — August 29, 2012 at 10:07 am

I think I am a little over-whelmed by all the peanut butters. I never knew that there was so many…and I though choosing toothpaste was hard 0_o. But now I have a serious craving to head to my Fresh and Easy to see what they have for some PB. Oh and to get a food processor so I can try to make my own 10 min pb. That looks so simple, and delicious!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — August 30th, 2012 at 1:04 am

There are SO MANY out there – it’s crazy, but fun to discover them all!

Tami Jo Eaton — August 29, 2012 at 10:42 am

I LOVE nut butters!!! I usually buy the Maranatha almond butter at Costco and then I keep my eyes out for big sales on crunchy nut butters and then I mix the two. I have been really into crunchy lately. Love it by the spoonful, over frozen banana “ice cream”, or slathered on flat out wraps with a little Hazelnut agave. Yum! However, I have totally fallen in love with Earth Balance coconut & peanut spread. I dip pretzel sticks in and it is so yummy. Here is my challenge for you: recreate it because I only find it at Whole Foods and I live quite a ways away. The ingredients are peanuts, organic extra virgin coconut oil, agave syrup, palm fruit oil (what the heck is that?) salt and natural flavoring (what is natural flavoring that isn;t already in there?? Oh, Welcome home!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — August 30th, 2012 at 1:03 am

Someone else just commented about this! I just told her to make her own PB and then add coconut oil to it, a tablespoon at a time, until you get the flavor and taste you’re looking for. I do it all the time – EASY!!! Depending on how coconutty vs. PB’ey you like things will dictate your ratios. And then add a squirt of agave at the end. SO simple!

Alyson @ Nourished Fitness — August 29, 2012 at 10:55 am

This is perhaps one of the most dangerous posts I’ve ever seen ;-) Hope you are well!

Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking — August 29, 2012 at 11:02 am

Those chocolate banana bars look crazy good, as does everything else you’ve shared here! I think I’d be in peanut butter heaven with just half of these in my cupboards!

Rachel @ Eat, Learn, Discover! — August 29, 2012 at 11:49 am

peppery peanut butter? now i’m really intrigued! I’m a big fan of no-frills natural peanut butter, and I love the organic ones that trader joe’s has come out with. But once in a while I like treat-like PB, my latest favorite is the coconut-peanut spread from Earth Balance! I’m now thinking I should find a way to make my own…

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — August 30th, 2012 at 1:01 am

just make your own PB and after it’s done, start adding coconut oil to it a little bit at a time and see where that takes you based on taste preferences – I do it all the time!

Sues — August 29, 2012 at 11:55 am

What an AWESOME post!! I’m totally a Jif girl even though I know I shouldn’t do the processed. But it IS often better in baking :) I really need to try making my own peanut butter!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — August 30th, 2012 at 1:00 am

shouldn’t do processed? ahhh, well, that’s over-rated. I like my white sugar, coffee beans, and cream processed – and yes, sometimes processed PB is okay too :) Sometimes raw/vegan is great. Other times, a little processing is just fine :)

Keith Gooderham — August 29, 2012 at 1:17 pm

Averie,
    I am a real fan of your blog – great recipes and exceptional photography. However, I am less of a fan of the pop-up which has started to appear when I open your blog using my internet browser. Are you aware that this is happening – the url is http://c5.zedo.com//ads2/f/1300159/3840/171/0/305012255/305012255/0/305/2290/zz-V1-UK_1x1.html?a=s%3D2290%3Bg%3D171%3Bm%3D225%3Bw%3D1%3Bu%3DL1cMT6pWh0VqBM1Cet7DJdom~011012%3Bi%3D0%3B;l=;p=;t=1346268883
    Feel free to delete this comment.
    Sincerely,
    Keith

Amber K — August 29, 2012 at 1:30 pm

I can’t get enough of Dark Chocolate Dreams from PB & Company. That stuff is absolutely delicious. In fact, I want some right now! lol

sally @ sallys baking addiction — August 29, 2012 at 3:51 pm

I’m late in the game commenting on this one. A fairly busy day at work… almost leaving me in tears! However… in a fun twist of irony, I am sitting at my desk in my room with a spoon and a jar of crunchy Jif. JIF is my #1. My absolute FAVORITE. I bake with Jif Creamy or Jif Crunchy, depending on the recipe. I also like Peter Pan’s Honey PB and TJ’s natural salted creamy. OMG so good. But yes, I’m a JIF girl!! But you know my heart goes to our homemade honey roasted PB any day of the week. I honestly don’t think I’ll ever find a peanut butter that will beat it.

I admit, I do love almond butter. And pecan butter. I’ve never had sunflower seed butter before! And PB that’s too salty just doesn’t do it for me. Why ruin a good thing with so much salt?! Reduced fat PBs are probably the grossest forms of nut butter in the world, by the way. EWW.

You can imagine how much I’m LOVING this post. We are PB freaks. :)

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — August 30th, 2012 at 12:56 am

I grew up, i.e. dorm room and early 20s, eating red fat Jif on Triscuits at 2am. Oh, the memories :)

you HAVE TO get SFSButter (get the TJs) – a life changer if you’re never had it!

I had actually never even had Peter Pan H.R.P.B. before seeing it in Aruba. I just buy a store-brand of honey roasted here in San Diego (before I started making my own) but yeah baking, we’re both Jif girls!

luvwhatyoudo — August 29, 2012 at 6:04 pm

Wow…that is the BEST PB research EVER! What a wonderful adventure…especially the Dutch Cookie spread. Love it!

marla — August 29, 2012 at 6:30 pm

Great post Averie, I too can’t live without Peanut Butter. My all time favorite is the TJ’s one with flaxseed. LOVE it.

marla — August 29, 2012 at 6:31 pm

By the way ~ how fun is it to experiment with foreign foods? With labels you can’t pronounce!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — August 30th, 2012 at 12:53 am

When it’s only a couple bucks here or there, it’s like playing a scratch off lottery ticket – sometimes you get lucky :)

Anna @ Crunchy Creamy Sweet — August 29, 2012 at 7:01 pm

It’s either cookie butter or my homemade PB. Like you, I prefer my on the sweet side. :)

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — August 29, 2012 at 7:01 pm

My favourite nut butters are PB&Co. Maple PB and the Cinnamon Raisin.

Christina @ The Beautiful Balance — August 29, 2012 at 9:25 pm

I am not a fan of salty peanut butters either. My favorite brand is Justin’s. He’s what I like to call the nut butter god. As much as I love peanut butter, I have to say that sunflower seed butter trumps peanut butter any day, in my opinion.

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — August 30th, 2012 at 12:49 am

you’re like the 5th person in about 2 weeks who has told me that above all else, Justin’s is amazing. I have only had a tiny sample packet years ago and need to try a full size jar! SFSButter is amazing, I agree!

Robyn @ Blueberries and Oats — August 29, 2012 at 11:26 pm

I looovee peanut butter! My favorites:

Flavor: Peanut Butter Co’s White Chocolate Wonderful
    Plain: Smart Balance Rich Roast Chunky Peanut Butter

Right now I’m really head over heals for sunflower seed butter too. ^_^ It’s nice to have something different every once in awhile.

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — August 30th, 2012 at 12:48 am

Smart Balance is one I don’t think I’ve ever tried! But WCWonderful is – oh too good, you’re right! And SFSButter, too!

Baker Street — August 30, 2012 at 12:27 am

When it comes to PB i’m all in for creamy! Crunchy is just not me! Great post, Averie! :)

vanillasugarblog — August 30, 2012 at 4:43 am

You need to try the whole foods organic pb.
    It is some of the best and safest (never any recalls).
    Seriously, give it a go, so good.