Low-Fat Copycat Wendy’s Frosty

I haven’t had a Frosty in about 15 years but it popped into my head, and I had to have one.

Except I knew I wasn’t going to Wendy’s for one and better make it myself.

Low-Fat Copycat Wendy’s Frosty - 4 ingredients & a blender is all you need for this spot-on, lighter version of the real thing!

It’s fast, dangerously easy, and you don’t need an ice cream maker.

Simply add 4 ingredients to your blender, whiz, divide it between two mugs, freeze for 30 minutes, and enjoy. Way too easy.

The results are every bit as good as Wendy’s and the taste and texture is spot-on.

As a bonus, my version is low-fat and while no one should ever confuse Frosties with healthfood, this version is lighter than the real thing.

I used fat-free versions of whipped topping and sweetened condensed milk, the chocolate milk is low-fat, and there’s no fat in cocoa powder. If you want to use full-fat products, be my guest.

You could likely keep the Frosty vegan by using vegan whipped topping, omit the sweetened condensed milk, and use chocolate almond milk.

It’s smooth, creamy, rich, sweet, and refreshing with nostalgic charm. I used restraint to not down the entire batch.

My 7-year old inhaled about 18 ounces of Frosty in 18 seconds. Wish I still had that metabolism. She requested that I make more of this. Like asap.

I love cold treats even more when they get melty.

Something tells me some Homemade Baileys would make me love the melty parts even that much more.

Print Print Save Save

Low-Fat Copycat Wendy's Frosty

The taste and texture of this copycat Wendy's Frosty is spot-on and you don't need an ice cream maker. Simply add 4 ingredients to your blender, whiz, freeze for 30 minutes, and enjoy. The recipe is low-fat because it uses fat-free versions of whipped topping and sweetened condensed milk, chocolate milk is low-fat, and there's no fat in cocoa powder. If you want to use full-fat products, be my guest. You could likely keep the recipe vegan by using vegan whipped topping, omit the sweetened condensed milk, and use chocolate almond milk. It's smooth, creamy, rich, sweet, and refreshing with nostalgic charm.

Yield: about 20 ounces (serves 1 generously or 2 more modestly)

Prep Time: 2 mintues

Cook Time: 0 minutes

Total Time: about 30 minutes, for chilling

Ingredients:

12 ounces (1 standard tub) whipped topping, keep frozen (I used fat-free Cool Whip; lite, regular, or vegan versions may be substituted)
1/4 cup sweetened condensed milk
2 tablespoons unsweetened natural cocoa powder
1 cup chocolate milk (I used 1% chocolate milk; chocolate almond milk may be substituted)

Directions:

1. To the canister of a  blender, add the whipped topping, sweetened condensed milk (Tip - make these with the rest of the can), cocoa powder, pour the milk over the top, and blend until smooth and creamy.
  2. Pour mixture into 2 glasses and freeze for about 30 to 60 minutes, or until desired consistency is reached. Stir well before serving.
  3. Extra portion will keep airtight in the freezer for up to 1 month (cover glasses with plasticwrap or place inside a ziplock to prevent freezer smells). Allow to come up to room temp for about 30 minutes before serving if frozen solid.

Related Recipes

Skinny Caramel Frappuccino – Only 50 Calories Per Serving. Think of all the money and calories you’ll save

Skinny Caramel Frappuccino - Only 50 Calories Per Serving - Recipe at averiecooks.com

Chocolate Cake Batter Milkshake – If you love cake batter, this is the smooth and creamy milkshake for you! Have your cake and drink it, too!

Chocolate Cake Batter Milkshake - If you love cake batter, this is the smooth and creamy milkshake for you! Have your cake and drink it, too!

Fudgy Brownie Cookie Dough Ice Cream Sandwiches – Homemade fudgy brownies with cookie dough ice cream with extra homemade (safe-to-eat-raw) cookie dough balls

Fudgy Brownie Cookie Dough Ice Cream Sandwiches - Homemade fudgy brownies with cookie dough ice cream with extra homemade (safe-to-eat-raw) cookie dough balls! So good!

No-Ice-Cream-Maker Funfetti Cake Batter Golden Oreo Ice Cream

No-Ice-Cream-Maker Funfetti Cake Batter Golden Oreo Ice Cream - Recipe at averiecooks.com

10-Minute Homemade Hot Fudge (gluten-free) – Thick, rich & supremely fudgy. So fast and easy you’ll wonder why you haven’t always been making it at home

10-Minute Homemade Hot Fudge - Thick, rich & supremely fudgy! So fast and easy you'll wonder why you haven't always been making it at home!

Double Chocolate Chip Cookie Cups and Ice Cream

No-Ice-Cream-Maker Salted Caramel, Bourbon, Nutter Butter and Chocolate Chunk Ice Cream - Recipe at averiecooks.com

Homemade Baileys Irish Cream

69 Responses to “Low-Fat Copycat Wendy’s Frosty”

Ellen — April 14, 2014 at 12:27 am

A fitting recipe for the coming warm weather! And inafree, Bailey’s would MAKE this;)

Taylor @ Food Faith Fitness — April 14, 2014 at 3:14 am

Oh man, Frostys are my FAV! But, I also haven’t had one in years. Yours looks so thick, chocolatey and PERFECT…and way way too easy. I hate and love you for that part! Pinned!

My Linh — April 14, 2014 at 3:16 am

We don’t have a Wendy’s over here (The Netherlands), but this sure does look delicious! So creamy… <3 Should definitely try this out when the weather gets a tad bit warmer over here. I think my boyfriend could devour a whole batch XD

• Averie Sunshine replied: — April 14th, 2014 at 11:04 am

I didn’t know you lived in the Netherlands! Well thanks for reading from halfway around the world! And yes, these things are easily devoured!

Marie @ Little Kitchie — April 14, 2014 at 3:39 am

You totally just took me back to my childhood! Loving this recipe and how simple it is! Though you’re right… that could be dangerous!

Tara | Treble in the Kitchen — April 14, 2014 at 3:45 am

Oh my goodness. I haven’t had a frosty in years either, but they are SO good!! I’m gonna have to make one of these puppies soon!! :)

Paula — April 14, 2014 at 3:48 am

Never would have guessed whipped topping was in this…and I prefer partially or fully frozen cool whip over thawed anyway. There is a Wendy’s less than 5 min from my house but it’s been a long time since I’ve had a frosty too….though this sounds really good and would be fun to try!

• Averie Sunshine replied: — April 14th, 2014 at 11:02 am

Semi frozen cool whip is so good! I mean, it’s empty calories at their finest but so good! And funny, in San Diego, I don’t even know where there IS a Wendy’s. In 10+ years of living here, I swear, I’ve never seen one! (or I just don’t pay attention…LOL)

Katie | Healthy Seasonal Recipes — April 14, 2014 at 4:25 am

Isn’t it funny how sometimes an old memory just pops into your head like that? I love that this is the way you satisfied your craving! Beautiful pictures Averie. Pinning :)

• Averie Sunshine replied: — April 14th, 2014 at 10:56 am

Thanks for pinning & yes sometimes you just can’t get something out of your head til you make it!

Elizabeth @ Confessions of a Baking Queen — April 14, 2014 at 4:40 am

I haven’t had a frosty in about 1o years. Love that you came up with a copycat- love when you know exactly what you are eating, I just don’t trust most fast food restaurants… but you, I do ;)

• Averie Sunshine replied: — April 14th, 2014 at 10:56 am

You’re sweet, thank you! And honestly in San Diego, I don’t even know where there IS a Wendy’s. In 10+ years of living here, I swear, I’ve never seen one! (or I just don’t pay attention…LOL)

Emma @ Life's A Runner — April 14, 2014 at 4:50 am

Yeah, I remember the last time I had a frosty…a LONG time ago. This will definitely help me from succumbing. ;)

Chloe — April 14, 2014 at 4:50 am

That looks amazing! So yummy looking :-)

ashley - baker by nature — April 14, 2014 at 4:57 am

I love a FROSTY!!! Omg. I need this Averie! Totally will be indulging in one of these soon.

Sarah@WholeAndHeavenlyOven — April 14, 2014 at 5:00 am

Oh, gosh do these frosty’s look amazing. Love how yours call for so few basic ingredients, whereas the fast-food frosty’s are so full of nasty stuff.
    And so perfect for the approaching warm weather! Definitely going to have to try these babies this summer (or possibly even sooner) pinned!

• Averie Sunshine replied: — April 14th, 2014 at 10:54 am

Thanks for pinning & yes to as few ingredients as possible!

Chelsea @ Gal on a Mission — April 14, 2014 at 5:09 am

Oh man, I haven’t had a Frosty in yearsss. Looks awesome, Averie. Pinned!

• Averie Sunshine replied: — April 14th, 2014 at 10:54 am

Nor had I! And thanks for pinning!

Faith @ Pixie Dust Kitchen — April 14, 2014 at 6:05 am

This is wayyyyy too easy- I’ll probably be making a lot of these this summer! Love that this is four ingredients and low fat- and probably much cheaper than Wendy’s too!

Chelsea @chelseasmessyapron — April 14, 2014 at 6:15 am

YUM! This looks like a totally authentic frosty too! Love that it’s so chocolatey and low-fat. My kind of shake – so it will pass for breakfast right? ;) Also, I love that it’s only 4 ingredients and nothing crazy that I don’t have! Pinned!

• Averie Sunshine replied: — April 14th, 2014 at 10:51 am

Thanks for pinning and yes on the chocolate for breakfast idea!

Laura @ Laura's Culinary Adventures — April 14, 2014 at 6:19 am

Yum! I need to get a blender so I can make this frothy, frosty treat!

Rebecca @ it's a nourishing thing — April 14, 2014 at 6:20 am

I have been craving a frosty for weeks now. I love this idea!!

Aimee @ ShugarySweets — April 14, 2014 at 6:47 am

I love Frosty’s!! I need to try this soon!

marcie — April 14, 2014 at 8:01 am

I used to get frosty’s all the time, and it’s been a while. This may be low-fat, but it still looks amazingly rich and creamy!

• Averie Sunshine replied: — April 14th, 2014 at 10:51 am

YES it is! Super rich and creamy! It’s not healthfood but it’s at least…healthier? than the original, I think :)

Annie @Maebells — April 14, 2014 at 8:06 am

We always make an assortment of smoothies put them in sealed mason jars and stick them in a big tub of ice on pool days, for super easy entertaining. This will be a perfect addition!

• Averie Sunshine replied: — April 14th, 2014 at 10:50 am

I do the same thing you do with pre-making smoothies. Except I actually freeze them in plastic cups and about an hour or so before we’re ready, just pull them out of the freezer. As long as the blender is dirty, may as well blend in batches, right!

Haley @Cupcakes and Sunshine — April 14, 2014 at 8:38 am

I would love to try this with TruWhip!

Anna @ Crunchy Creamy Sweet — April 14, 2014 at 9:36 am

Just give me a a straw! Need this! Pinned!

Melissa @ Treats With a Twist — April 14, 2014 at 9:58 am

Being able to add Baileys is yet another reason why you shouldn’t run to Wendy’s ;) its always better homemade!

Mary Frances @ The Sweet {Tooth} Life — April 14, 2014 at 11:00 am

Something tells me Pinterest is going to love this recipe! The 30 minutes in the freezer is the trick I’ve been looking for – getting the thick creaminess without adding a bunch of ice (bleh) Looks chocolatey-, refreshing, and easy aka perfect!

• Averie Sunshine replied: — April 14th, 2014 at 11:07 am

I know, ice into smoothies or shakes makes them get so watery, so fast – yes, just a little chill time is all you need for this one!

Beth @ bethcakes — April 14, 2014 at 11:18 am

Oh my gosh, yes to Bailey’s in Frosties. Love that there are only 4 ingredients and that this recipe makes about 2 servings. If it made any more than that I would be in serious trouble, haha. Your version definitely looks better than the original!

• Averie Sunshine replied: — April 14th, 2014 at 12:31 pm

Thanks for saying my version looks better than the original! :)

J.S. @ Sun Diego Eats — April 14, 2014 at 12:22 pm

Have been seeing this on Pinterest but wasn’t sure how it would turn out but have to say your recipes have never failed me in the past so will have to try this one out too! Luckily I have half a can of sweetened condensed milk to use anyways. It seems like the only flavoring this is missing compared to the homemade baileys is a tiny bit of coffee + whiskey right? Might have to add a little bit in and see how it turns out!

• Averie Sunshine replied: — April 14th, 2014 at 12:31 pm

LMK what you think if you try it! And yes to adding Baileys, whiskey, or coffee. Can’t go wrong :)

Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust — April 14, 2014 at 12:34 pm

I have been craving a Wendy’s frosting like crazy! And now I can make my own, that’s scary. All I need are some french fries to dip. :)

• Averie Sunshine replied: — April 14th, 2014 at 4:26 pm

Omg YES. You have to have fries dipped in it! That was my junior high dream meal :) And thank for pinning!

ami@naivecookcooks — April 14, 2014 at 1:28 pm

wow, this is what I want. Weather is dipping here and today it’s in 40’s.

Katie — April 14, 2014 at 1:34 pm

DUDE. WANT.

Carol at Wild Goose Tea — April 14, 2014 at 4:12 pm

This drink might be a teeny weeny too easy even for a low fat drink.
    What a sneaky and excellent recipe detective job that you did.

Julie @ This Gal Cooks — April 14, 2014 at 5:09 pm

I haven’t had a Wendy’s frosty in forever! This homemade version calls for a side of fries and a burger…or maybe a grilled chicken sandwich to keep it on the healthier side. :)

• Averie Sunshine replied: — April 14th, 2014 at 10:01 pm

Fries dipped in Frosties are the best!

Jennie @themessybakerblog — April 14, 2014 at 6:08 pm

Brilliant! This could be for reals dangerous. 4 ingredients. No ice cream maker. Hello, Frosty every night. Pinned.

• Averie Sunshine replied: — April 14th, 2014 at 10:01 pm

I know, I want a Frosty every night too LOL. Thanks for pinning!

Laura (Tutti Dolci) — April 14, 2014 at 7:02 pm

This frosty is just what I need, love your skinny version!

• Averie Sunshine replied: — April 14th, 2014 at 10:01 pm

I want to wash it down with one of your breadsticks (pinned!)

Kayle (The Cooking Actress) — April 14, 2014 at 7:21 pm

OOOOOh! Now I wanna make this and feed it to Michael and see if he can tell the difference! Awesome idea Averie!

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers — April 14, 2014 at 7:44 pm

Yum Averie! This sounds amazing and so creamy!! What a creative recipe!!!

Norma | Allspice and Nutmeg — April 15, 2014 at 3:07 am

I love this Frosty’s but I don’t indulge. Now though I will be able to have a frosty and eat it too!

Lori @ RecipeGirl — April 15, 2014 at 7:24 am

This looks so good- I hate Wendy’s, but I actually really love their frostys!!

• Averie Sunshine replied: — April 15th, 2014 at 11:03 am

I haven’t had one since probably high school or college but the Frosty’s, with some fries, now that was an afterschool snack of champions :)

Amy @ Amy's Healthy Baking — April 16, 2014 at 11:17 pm

I’ve never actually had a Wendy’s frosty, but I don’t think I’m going to start anytime soon! Not with how easy and light your recipe is. As a chocoholic, I’d totally devour the entire batch. No shame. And then as your daughter for her metabolism so I could have another. ;)

Emily @ Life on Food — April 17, 2014 at 4:33 pm

Frosty’s are so good!! It would be dangerous making them at home but I guess healthier too. AHh! Such a treat to have this recipe in hand.

Ashley — April 25, 2014 at 3:54 pm

Just a heads up, Truwhip DOES contain milk. It has sodium caseinate (milk protein) in it. http://www.truwhip.com/nutritionalInfo/index.php

Jennifer — July 26, 2014 at 2:05 pm

You may have answered a deep craving! One question though, can you recommend a substitution for the Cool Whip for those of us in countries where it’s not available? I’m a missionary in Wales and have been dreaming of Frosties (sad, I know).

• Averie Sunshine replied: — July 27th, 2014 at 2:31 am

You could whip cream into whipped cream, sweeten it and try that. It will not be a perfect swap but it could be a good jumping off place!