Boston Cream Icebox Cake
What do you do when you have a sweet tooth in the summer and don’t want to turn on your oven?
An icebox cake of course.
This is the easiest ‘cake’ you’ll ever make because there’s no mixer and no baking.
If you’ve never made an icebox cake, they’re wonderfully rich and luscious. It’s the type of cake that’s hard to resist going in and straightening the rows with a fork every time you open the fridge or freezer.
Icebox cakes usually consist of layers of graham crackers or Oreos with filling in between the layers. The fillings usually involve whipped topping, pudding, ice cream, or something soft and creamy.
The filling softens the layers of graham crackers or Oreos and turns them into a cake-like texture.
This version plays on a Bostom cream pie that meets an eclair. The vanilla pudding and whipped topping just melt in your mouth while the graham crackers add subtle crunch and texture. The chocolate topping is smooth and silky with additional chocolate chips sprinkled because you can never have too much chocolate.
My family said it’s one of my best desserts ever and it’s so ridiculously easy that I’m tempted to go on an icebox cake-making craze.
Boston Cream Icebox Cake
This is the easiest ‘cake’ you’ll ever make because there’s no mixer and no baking and it’s wonderfully rich and luscious. The cake plays on a Bostom cream pie that meets an eclair. The vanilla pudding and whipped topping just melt in your mouth while the graham crackers add subtle crunch and texture. The chocolate topping is smooth and silky with additional chocolate chips sprinkled because you can never have too much chocolate.
- two 3.5-ounce packets instant vanilla pudding (not cook-and-serve, not sugar-free)
- one 8-ounce container whipped topping, thawed (I used fat free)
- 3 cups cold milk (I used skim; use cow’s milk and not soy, almond, etc. because pudding won’t set up)
- one 14.6-ounce box graham crackers (I used Honeymaid lowfat honey)
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips, divided
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Line a 9×13-inch pan with aluminum foil; set aside.
- To a large bowl, add the pudding mix, whipped topping, milk, and whisk to combine; set aside.
- Add an even, flat layer of graham crackers to completely cover the bottom of the pan, breaking crackers as necessary for complete coverage.
- Add half the pudding mixture and spread evenly over graham crackers.
- Add another layer of graham crackers to cover completely.
- Add the remaining pudding mixture and spread evenly.
- Top with a final layer of graham crackers. Note – I was about half of one graham cracker short (about 2 square inches) and didn’t have complete coverage in one corner but it worked out okay; set aside.
- To a medium saucepan, add 1/2 cup chocolate chips, butter, sugar, milk, and heat over low heat to melt, whisking continuously.
- Add the vanilla and whisk to combine.
- Evenly pour the chocolate mixture over the top graham cracker layer, lightly smoothing with a spatula as necessary.
- Wait about 5 minutes for chocolate to cool slightly before evenly sprinkling with the remaining 1/2 cup chocolate chips (if you add them too soon, they’ll be prone to melting into the already melted chocolate).
- Cover pan and freeze for at least 4 hours, or overnight. Slice and serve. Store cake in the fridge or freezer based on preference (fridge for more of a melty texture or freezer for a more solid texture) for up to 5 days, noting crackers will become softer as time passes.
All images and content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or simply link back to this post for the recipe. Thank you.
Fudgy Brownie Cookie Dough Ice Cream Sandwiches – Layers of fudgy brownies sandwich cookie dough ice cream with extra safe-to-eat-raw cookie dough balls!
Frozen Chocolate Pudding and Wafer Cake – Chocolate wafers, chocolate pudding, and M&M’s are so good together in this easy version of an icebox cake.
Pink Lemonade Freezer Bars – A salty-and-sweet treat with a Ritz crackers crust and topping with pink lemonade-spiked whipped topping as the filling! So good and refreshing in the heat!
No-Ice-Cream-Maker Funfetti Cake Batter Golden Oreo Ice Cream – Golden Oreos and sprinkles in every bite of this ice cream that tastes like Funfetti cake! No ice cream maker necessary!
No-Ice-Cream-Maker Salted Caramel, Bourbon, Nutter Butter and Chocolate Chunk Ice Cream – Nutter Butter cookies and chunks of chocolate are in this ice cream spiked with bourbon and swirled with salted caramel!
Lightened Up Cookies and Cream Mocha Milkshake – Iced coffee blended with ice cream is so darn good! And it’s lighter, even better!
Low-Fat Copycat Wendy’s Frosty – 4 ingredients and a blender is all you need for this spot-on, lighter version of the real thing!