The Best Baked Brie with Balsamic Cherries

I love appetizers so much. I’d rather have them than entrees.

And of all appetizers, baked brie is my absolute favorite. And this is the best baked brie.

The Best Baked Brie with Balsamic Cherries - Only 3 ingredients & ready in 15 minutes! So easy & it really is the best!

Quite a claim, but it’s that good.

It’s such a simple recipe with just three ingredients, but it’s amazing how satisfying, comforting, and just face-stuffing worthy it is.

It pairs salty-and-sweet, with smooth and creamy. Throw in the texture and chewiness from the cherries, and served on top of crunchy crackers, it’s a total slam dunk.

It’s ready in less than 15 minutes, making it the perfect last-minute party appetizer.

To make it, slice the top off from a wheel of brie, spoon on a mixture of cherry jam and balsamic vinegar, put the top back on, and bake for 10 minutes. Mindlessly easy.

One thing notably absent from this baked brie is puff pastry or any kind of pastry or pie dough. Many times when brie is baked inside dough, the dough overwhelms it, and I find myself having to weed through way too much dry, tasteless bread to find the melty cheese that I covet. If I wanted puff pastry, I’d make cream puffs.

The cheese is melty, luscious, and the saltiness is tempered by sweet-yet-tart cherry jam and balsamic vinegar. I love all things balsamic and could drink balsamic reduction.

Plucking out those sweet and tangy cherries from the big pile was so satisfying.

This is without a doubt my favorite appetizer I’ve ever posted. I don’t know why it took me 5 years and hundreds of recipes later to do so, but better late than never.

If it was served at a party, I’d make sure to babysit the table until it was gone.

It was so good that it took every ounce of willpower not to devour the whole thing.

Definitely and totally worth the cardio.

Print Print Save Save

The Best Baked Brie with Balsamic Cherries (gluten-free)

This is such a simple recipe with just three ingredients, but so satisfying, comforting, ready in less than 15 minutes, and a perfect last-minute party appetizer. It's my favorite appetizer ever, and the best brie I've ever had. It pairs salty-and-sweet, with smooth and creamy. Throw in the texture and chewiness from the cherries, and served on top of crunchy crackers, it's a total slam dunk. The cheese is melty, luscious, and the saltiness is tempered by sweet-yet-tart cherry jam and balsamic vinegar. Make it and watch it disappear.

Yield: one 8-ounce wheel of brie

Prep Time: 3 minutes

Cook Time: 10 minutes

Total Time: 15 minutes

Ingredients:

one 8-ounce wheel of brie
about 1/3 heaping cup cherry jam or preserves
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
bread, crackers, mini toasts, chips, etc. for serving

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 400F.  Line a baking sheet with a Silpat or spray with cooking spray; set aside.
  2. Place brie on a cutting board and slice off one end of it so that the 'top' is about 1/8-inch thick. Cutting through the rind takes a bit of elbow grease. Use a sharp knife, take your time, and be careful.
  3. Place base of brie in the center of prepared baking sheet with the top nearby; set aside.
  4. In a small bowl, stir to combine the jam and balsamic vinegar. Taste and make sure you like the balance of flavors; adjust if necessary.
  5. Spoon jam mixture over the center of brie and keep a bare 1-inch margin around the perimeter to help prevent runoff while baking.
  6. Loosely place the brie 'top' over the jam mixture.
  7. Bake for 10 minutes, or until cheese has melted. In the final moments, jam may runoff which is okay, but keep a watchful eye to make sure it's not burning if it's touching the baking sheet.
  8. Using two large spatulas or whatever method is easiest, transfer brie to serving platter. Serve immediately with your favorite bread, crackers, etc. Brie is best warm and fresh, although will keep airtight in the refrigerator for up to 1 week, including the cherries. It firms up, but slicing pieces off and serving on crackers or bread works fine.

Related Recipes

Baked Spinach, Artichoke, and Mozzarella Dip (GF)

Baked Spinach, Artichoke, and Mozzarella Dip (GF) - Classic spinach & artichoke dip with mozzarella on top! Because everything is better with cheese!

Creamy Baked Double Cheese and Onion Dip (gluten-free) – One of my favorite dips and I used to think I hated onions. Stir it together in one bowl in minutes and bake for cheesy comfort food

Creamy Baked Double Cheese and Sweet Onion Dip - Cheesy, comforting & easy dip that everyone loves! Recipe at averiecooks.com

Balsamic Reduction (vegan, GF) – So easy and ready in 10 minutes

How To Make Balsamic Reduction In 10 Minutes (vegan, GF) - Save money and stop buying overpriced balsamic reduction. Make your own in 10 minutes with this fast, easy, foolproof recipe!

Loaded Baked Tater Tot Dip -  Favorite baked potato fixings baked together in a dip

Baked Triple Cheese and Salsa Tortilla Chip Dip - Loaded with 3 kinds of cheese & baked to browned, bubbly, golden perfection

Baked Triple Cheese & Salsa Tortilla Chip Dip - Loaded with 3 kinds of cheese & baked to browned, bubbly, golden perfection! Always a hit at parties & great for Superbowl! Easy recipe at averiecooks.com

Double Melted Cheese and Red Pepper Dip (GF) – aka Queso Dip or Ro-Tel Dip – Comes together in five minutes in the microwave. Creamy, cheesy, with just a bit of heat

Double Melted Cheese and Red Pepper Dip (GF

Lightened Up Spinach and Artichoke Dip (Fat-Free, Vegan, Gluten-Free)

Lightened Up Spinach and Artichoke Dip (Fat-Free, Vegan, Gluten-Free)

Corn and Double Cheese Dip (vegan, GF, fat free, serve warm or cold) – A five-minute dip to toss together and full of texture from the corn and peppers. It can also be baked like today’s dip if you have extra time

Macaroni and Cheese Baked Cheese Balls - A perfect use for the leftover macaroni that gets cold and stiff in your refrigerator. Bread it, bake it, devour it

Skinny Two-Ingredient 110-Calorie Mozzarella Cheese Sticks - Comfort food goes skinny so you can still indulge without the bulge

Skinny Two-Ingredient 110-Calorie Mozzarella Cheese Sticks - Comfort food goes skinny so you can still indulge without the bulge! And so fast & easy to make!

Avocado, Tomato, and Mozzarella Crostini

Avocado, Tomato, and Mozzarella Crostini - Like bruschetta, but with avocado & who can say no to avocado and cheese! A fast & easy appetizer everyone loves & ready in 15 minutes!

Cheese Lover’s Fontina and Mozzarella Grilled Cheese Sandwich

Cheese Lover's Fontina and Mozzarella Grilled Cheese Sandwich - Warm, gooey comfort food at its finest! Best & cheesiest grilled cheese ever!

83 Responses to “The Best Baked Brie with Balsamic Cherries”

Ellen — April 7, 2014 at 12:21 am

Well good golly, you just put together three of my favorite things. And I concur, apps as entrees is a beautiful thing. I may have no choice but to make this.

• Averie Sunshine replied: — April 7th, 2014 at 2:17 am

You will love this if you try it. So, so good :)

Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious — April 7, 2014 at 12:25 am

How amazing does this look?! I’m with you on the apps – who needs entrees when you can snack on so many different kinds of appetizers?! I also love how simple this is. Baked brie has been on my bucket list for years but I just never got around to it. But your recipe may just be the first one I try :)

• Averie Sunshine replied: — April 7th, 2014 at 2:16 am

I swear to God I had to donate this or I would have eaten the WHOLE THING all at once. I am a bottomless pit when it comes to brie, and also super picky about what’s worth the cardio and what’s not. This was SO worth it. Just editing the pics, I was dying and wanted to make it all over again :)

Taylor @ Food Faith Fitness — April 7, 2014 at 2:54 am

Appies are my absolute favorite ever…who needs real meals! I love not using a knife and fork.
    Baked brie is amazing and I can only imagine how much more amazing it is balsamic and cherries…fabulous as always Averie! Pinned :)

• Averie Sunshine replied: — April 7th, 2014 at 3:55 am

Thanks for your sweet words and pin, Taylor! Seriously, this stuff was ridic good. If you’re a brie fan, this is the.deal.

Belinda@themooblushbaker — April 7, 2014 at 3:02 am

I am dangerous woman around warm and melting cheese dishes. I am a fan of apps mainly because the entree is normally too big for my liking. My stomach may be big but not that big. Also the more I get the sample the better!

Sweet, creamy and salty you explained it perfectly here why this is a go to snack any day.

• Averie Sunshine replied: — April 7th, 2014 at 3:58 am

I just pinned your cupcakes and cheesecake. They look delish and “Also the more I get the sample the better!” is so true! Variety is the spice of life!

movita beaucoup — April 7, 2014 at 3:08 am

First, I’ve had an inexplicable craving for brie lately. Second, there is a wonderful olive oil/balsamic vinegar store here in the city, and they sell dozens of different flavour-infused balsamic vinegars. IMAGINE THE POSSIBILITIES! And finally, I feel serving an appetizer like this at my next gathering might make me seem sophisticated – which is most appreciated by yours truly.

• Averie Sunshine replied: — April 7th, 2014 at 3:53 am

Sophisticated in 15 minutes flat. It’s really stunning in person, in a way that is impossible to capture…white, orange/yellow, and burgundy…none of those colors do real well on camera. In person, this was a glistening showstopper if I do say so and you will be a hero! And inexplicable craving for brie…that was me! So I made this!

Emily @ Life on Food — April 7, 2014 at 3:37 am

I am a huge fan of anything that can be eaten with a cracker. These brie looks fabulous!

• Averie Sunshine replied: — April 7th, 2014 at 3:52 am

Thanks for all your comments today, too!

Maryea {happy healthy mama} — April 7, 2014 at 3:46 am

Brie is one of my all time faves and I looks perfect with cherries and balsamic. Very nice!

Rachel @ Baked by Rachel — April 7, 2014 at 4:26 am

Oh my!! I love these flavors! Wish I could dive in right now!

Chloe — April 7, 2014 at 4:38 am

This looks like an amazing appetizer! I love the cherries :-)

Paula — April 7, 2014 at 4:52 am

This has to be the best fruit and cheese combo I’ve ever seen…and those photos make me want this for breakfast! I haven’t had brie in so long, but this would undoubtedly be the recipe to fix that!!

• Averie Sunshine replied: — April 7th, 2014 at 12:36 pm

Paula, seriously, you’ve read every post of mine for the last 5 years and this is, without a doubt, the best appetizer I’ve ever made. I made it like a month ago (it’s been sitting in my to-be-posted pile) and every.day.since.then I’ve thought about it. If I had supersonic metabolism, I would make this every day. For me, it’s just that incredible with the perfect balance of flavors and texture. If you use a small wheel of brie like I used, and your hubby is a fan of it too, you could totally have a wine-and-cheese dinner and not be too overwhelmed in cheese!

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar — April 7, 2014 at 5:00 am

I’m such a sucker for baked brie. I love when it’s still warm!! Mmmmm.

Colleen @ What's Baking in the Barbershop?! — April 7, 2014 at 5:02 am

Baked brie has got to be one of my all time favorite appetizers… This looks AWESOME. :)

• Averie Sunshine replied: — April 7th, 2014 at 12:34 pm

Great to hear from you, Colleen! :) If you’re a brie fan, I hope you try this version someday!

Carissa — April 7, 2014 at 5:41 am

This looks SO GOOD! I have definitely been know to make entire meals out of appetizers, so I can’t wait to try this!

• Averie Sunshine replied: — April 7th, 2014 at 12:33 pm

Oh this WAS and could be a meal for me, daily, if I could swing it :)

Mary Frances — April 7, 2014 at 5:49 am

I’m an appetizer-into-meal type girl, so dips and chips have my heart! Baked brie is always so pretty, but the cherries take it to the next level here. Your lighting is amazing, too!

• Averie Sunshine replied: — April 7th, 2014 at 12:33 pm

I’m an appetizer-into-meal type girl, so dips and chips have my heart <— AMEN! :)

Jennie @themessybakerblog — April 7, 2014 at 6:11 am

Brie is my absolute favorite. Triple cream, please. This looks so gooey. I love that you topped it with cherries. Drool!

• Averie Sunshine replied: — April 7th, 2014 at 12:30 pm

Triple cream brie is so worth the cardio :)

Sarah@WholeAndHeavenlyOven — April 7, 2014 at 6:24 am

So with you on appetizers. — I can totally make a meal out of them. And this brie looks fabulous! Love how the bright balsamic cherries compliment the white brie! SO gorgeous!

Julie @ This Gal Cooks — April 7, 2014 at 7:48 am

Agreed on the appetizers – I could go for those over an entree any day! I love this simple appetizer. I’m intrigued by the cherry/balsamic combination. I bet it’s delicious, and equally delicious with that delightful slice of brie on top!

Melanie @ Carmel Moments — April 7, 2014 at 7:58 am

I’m falling head over heels in love with cherry. This looks like the best of the best. :)
    Have a beautiful Monday Averie!

• Averie Sunshine replied: — April 7th, 2014 at 12:28 pm

IMO (not so humble) it was the best of the best. I want to re-make it…like every day :)

Ilona @ Ilona's Passion — April 7, 2014 at 8:05 am

So yummy… I can not stop looking at it. I have never done any recipe with Brie.. but it is definitely on my list..

Gayle @ Pumpkin 'N Spice — April 7, 2014 at 8:14 am

This brie looks amazing! And balsamic cherries? What a great idea, Averie! Love the gorgeous pictures of this appetizer!

• Averie Sunshine replied: — April 7th, 2014 at 12:28 pm

Thanks, Gayle, for the sweet compliments! :)

Annie @Maebells — April 7, 2014 at 8:26 am

As a kid we had appetizers for dinner every single Sunday, it was wonderful! One of my favorite memories from growing up. This looks awesome, I might have to renew our tradition and break out the appetizers next Sunday!

• Averie Sunshine replied: — April 7th, 2014 at 12:27 pm

Now that is a super cool story and I think I want to implement it, asap! Seriously! Thanks for the wonderful idea!

Laura (Tutti Dolci) — April 7, 2014 at 8:27 am

I love baked brie and could literally make a meal out of this. Love the balsamic cherries!

• Averie Sunshine replied: — April 7th, 2014 at 12:27 pm

I DID make a meal out of it. Best.meal.ever.

Katy — April 7, 2014 at 9:06 am

Every once in a while we have “appetizer nights” where we eat only appetizers and it’s the best thing ever. This baked brie looks amazing, I love brie anytime but it is so much better when warmed!

• Averie Sunshine replied: — April 7th, 2014 at 12:26 pm

Most of my 20s were “appetizer nights” – where we eat only appetizers and it’s the best thing ever AND plenty of wine and liquor :)

Anna @ Crunchy Creamy Sweet — April 7, 2014 at 9:42 am

I love baked brie! The balsamic cherries sound wonderful! Pinned!

Joyti — April 7, 2014 at 10:39 am

Oooo, this looks really incredible. Love brie, loved baked brie, and I really love your idea of pairing it with tart balsamic cherries to contrast with the richness. Yum!!!

Kim @ Kim's Healthy Eats — April 7, 2014 at 10:47 am

Wow! This looks amazing! Couldn’t agree more about appetizers… I love apps as a meal!

Beth @ bethcakes — April 7, 2014 at 1:10 pm

Sometimes I think I could eat only appetizers for dinner too! This would definitely be one of them. I love the flavors that you combined in this! I also really like that you left out the puff pastry/pie crust. I totally agree, I love pie crust, but why make it harder to get to the good stuff? :)

sippitysup — April 7, 2014 at 2:58 pm

You forgot to n that it pairs with cocktails, that’s why I’m saying Cheers Averie. GREG

• Averie Sunshine replied: — April 7th, 2014 at 3:53 pm

I wish I was having this again…with plenty of cocktails! :)

Katie — April 7, 2014 at 3:15 pm

Brie in any form, in every form, is pure heaven.

Kate @ Diethood — April 7, 2014 at 3:37 pm

Oh MY GOD! That is just too, too perfect!! I love it!

Carol at Wild Goose Tea — April 7, 2014 at 4:40 pm

This waaaaaaaaaaay beyond a mere appetizer. For me this is a whole meal and I would love every single tantalizing morsel. There would be NO sharing.
    And I would get ill from overeating, BUT I would have fun doing it. Some people drink. Me? I eat baked brie with cherries.

• Averie Sunshine replied: — April 7th, 2014 at 4:44 pm

I totally ate this until I had a stomach ache and frankly did not care :) It was so.darn.good. It was a meal, for sure. Mmm, I want to make it again! LOL

J.S. @ Sun Diego Eats — April 7, 2014 at 4:51 pm

Completely agree that I would take a feast of appetizers over just one ole main dish. Hence why I love tapas. And I have made roasted garlic + rosemary baked brie but baking it with cherries would be phenomenal. Bread + cheese + honey/jam/something sweet is endlessly addictive.. The balsamic would add a nice tart/grown up edge to this too. Will keep this in mind for the next potluck dinner party we have, minimal effort in terms of preparation too :)

Chelsea @chelseasmessyapron — April 7, 2014 at 5:16 pm

I love brie! And a three ingredient easy dip that is the best?! Definitely need some of this! Lovely pictures Averie! Pinned :)

• Averie Sunshine replied: — April 7th, 2014 at 7:52 pm

Thanks for the pin and compliments, Chelsea!

Emilie@TheCleverCarrot — April 7, 2014 at 6:33 pm

Mmm… balsamic cherries! I need this and a glass of wine stat. Looks amazing :)

Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust — April 7, 2014 at 6:40 pm

Ohmigosh I could live on baked brie. It’s seriously the BEST thing EVER. I want it for dinner!

• Averie Sunshine replied: — April 7th, 2014 at 7:52 pm

Girl…I know. This, with drinks, we’re set :)

Connie Wilkerson — April 7, 2014 at 7:33 pm

Oh my. This stuff could be dangerous. Yummy!!!

Megan {Country Cleaver} — April 7, 2014 at 8:41 pm

Baked brie is one of my appetizer weaknesses!!

Norma | Allspice and Nutmeg — April 8, 2014 at 5:09 am

I’m drooling at the photos of this brie deliciousness. I love brie and I love this recipe. Pinned!

• Averie Sunshine replied: — April 8th, 2014 at 11:12 pm

Thanks for the compliments & pin, Norma!

sally @ sallys baking addiction — April 8, 2014 at 11:00 am

Everyone better watch out for me when there is brie served at a party or something. Averie, I can never stop hovering over it. My favorite little appetizer, especially when it’s served with a sweet jam or sorts. I once had it with an apricot jam and candied almonds on top. SO good. Your brie looks so simple – just three ingredients. Little work with big results!

• Averie Sunshine replied: — April 8th, 2014 at 11:00 pm

Littlest work ever, with biggest results, ever! Sally in 5 years I have never loved an appetizer like this one on my site, period. It’s the bees knees, end-all-be-all recipe for me. Like nothing else will ever compare :) The texture contrast, the melty cheese, Sally if you’re a brie-hover’er like I am, make this sometime!

Bri | Bites of Bri — April 8, 2014 at 2:44 pm

Averie, this looks heavenly! Baked Brie is a favorite and I especially love when it is served with fruit. Pinned!

• Averie Sunshine replied: — April 8th, 2014 at 10:50 pm

Love your name and blog name, of course :) And thanks for pinning!

Meredith — April 8, 2014 at 6:45 pm

I could dig right in, this looks wonderful!

• Averie Sunshine replied: — April 8th, 2014 at 10:48 pm

I want to wash it down with your clem. fizz!

Amy @ Amy's Healthy Baking — April 12, 2014 at 7:39 pm

I’m right there with you — I’d much rather make a meal out of appetizers than entrées too! With how much my parents, especially my dad, adore brie, this is something they’d totally appreciate. Whenever they have guests over, Dad always makes sure to buy a few types of soft cheeses and crunchy crackers from TJ’s to serve as appetizers. I’m passing this along to him, and I’m 100% positive it’ll make an appearance really soon!

• Averie Sunshine replied: — April 12th, 2014 at 10:57 pm

Oh I hope it does. Not kidding when I say it’s the BEST and my most favorite appetizer I’ve ever made or posted in 5 years of blogging!

CakePants — April 13, 2014 at 9:26 pm

Ooooh wow this looks dangerously decadent! I’m a big fan of appetizers that are simple to make – I used to try to make more involved appetizers, but then I was always rushing around to finish things while guests were arriving. No more! This looks like the perfect appetizer for my next dinner gathering :)

• Averie Sunshine replied: — April 13th, 2014 at 11:03 pm

It is the perfect app b/c there’s no work, no fuss, and it’s so, so good! My fave app EVER in 5 years of blogging! LMK if you try it!

Susan — April 16, 2014 at 7:41 pm

Made this for a girls night. Simple, delicious and a big hit!

• Averie Sunshine replied: — April 16th, 2014 at 7:44 pm

Glad it was a big hit! Thanks for LMK you tried it!

Vera — April 21, 2014 at 8:22 am

Just made this for Easter – it was AWSOME!!!

• Averie Sunshine replied: — April 21st, 2014 at 9:17 am

That’s wonderful to hear and thank you for trying the recipe, on Easter no less!

bev @ bevcooks.com — April 24, 2014 at 2:41 pm

My face basically just slid off my head.

Ruth — June 17, 2014 at 5:08 pm

The combination of flavors is very good. BUT we found it very difficult to cut and to let people serve themselves . As a result, a lot of this appetizer was not eaten at our party.

• Averie Sunshine replied: — June 17th, 2014 at 7:22 pm

It’s definitely not a “neat-and-tidy” appetizer or something that’s easily sliceable like uncooked cheese slices. People have to be willing to just get in there and wrestle off a hunk using crackers, a small spoon and/or butter knife left on the serving plate, or whatever is best. Never waste cheese! :) Thanks for trying it and glad you enjoyed the flavors.

Amy @ItsAMindfulLife — July 14, 2014 at 12:43 pm

Hi Averie!
    I am super excited to find your website and this fun recipe! It is absolutely brilliant! I am honored to feature it in “Top Pinterest Pins” on my website, The Mindful Shopper! http://mindful-shopper.com/2014/07/13/top-10-pinterest-pins-week/

I will definitely be back!

• Averie Sunshine replied: — July 14th, 2014 at 12:49 pm

Thanks for the compliments and feature!

Rach — July 18, 2014 at 6:49 pm

This is gorgeous! I love brie so it’s not like I need an excuse to eat it, but if I did, this recipe would be a valid one! Love!