Smores Poke Cake
Start by making a chocolate cake (I used a boxed mix but you can double this scratch recipe if you’re so inclined) and after it comes out of the oven, poke holes with the blunt end of a wooden spoon over the surface.
The holes absorb a mixture of slightly melted marshmallow creme and sweetened condensed milk which helps the cake stay incredibly moist.
Crush graham crackers over the top before adding marshmallows. Yes, there’s both marshmallow creme and marshmallows because in my book you can’t have smores without an abundance of marshmallows.
I broke out my creme brulee torch to lightly toast the marshmallows. It’s this one and for $20 bucks, cheap culinary thrills. You could probably put the pan under the broiler but be very, very careful. Watch it the entire time because you don’t want to burn the marshmallows or graham crackers which is why I prefer the handheld control of my torch. You could omit the toasting step but you’ll lose some authentic smores flavor.
Before serving, drizzle with hot fudge and don’t forget to put on your stretch pants. It’s a sticky, messy cake to slice neatly but smores are sticky and messy after all.
Smores Poke Cake
Smores by way of an unapologetically rich and decadent poke cake. Two of my favorite things married into one glorious and easy dessert. Start by making a chocolate cake and after it comes out of the oven, poke holes with the blunt end of a wooden spoon over the surface. The holes absorb a mixture of slightly melted marshmallow creme and sweetened condensed milk which helps the cake stay incredibly moist. Crush graham crackers over the top before adding marshmallows and hot fudge.
Yield: one 9x13-inch cake
Prep Time: about 10 minutes
Cook Time: about 25 to 30 minutes
Total Time: about 45 minutes
- one 15.25-ounce box devil's food chocolate cake mix (I used Duncan Hines but you can double this scratch cake recipe)
- one 7-ounce container marshmallow creme, slightly melted
- one 14-ounce can sweetened condensed milk
- 6 full-size graham cracker sheets, coarsely chopped into 1/2-inch pieces
- about 1 to 1 1/2 cups mini marshmallows
- about 1/2 cup hot fudge, for drizzling (storebought or homemade)
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line a 9x13-inch pan with aluminum foil and spray with cooking spray; set aside.
- Make cake according to package directions (likely adding 3 eggs, water, and oil) and bake as directed (likely about 25 to 30 minutes).
- While the cake bakes, remove the seal from the marshmallow creme, and heat it for about 10 to 15 seconds on high power in the microwave, just enough to soften it. Watch very closely because it will puff up very quickly and you don't want it to overflow.
- Using a spatula, scrape the marshmallow creme into a large bowl.
- Add the sweetened condensed milk and whisk to combine; set aside.
- Remove cake from the oven when it's done and using the blunt end of a wooden spoon, poke holes over the surface of the cake. I didn't count but I estimate I poked about 60 holes, evenly spaced over the surface.
- Slowly pour the marshmallow and sweetened condensed milk mixture over the holes, taking your time to evenly distribute it so that all the holes receive some.
- Evenly sprinkle the graham crackers.
- Evenly sprinkle the marshmallows.
- Lightly toast the marshmallows with a handheld torch. I haven't tried using the broiler and cannot speak to the results or the duration. Likely less than 1 minute and if you try it, watch it the entire time and don't turn your back on it for a second because it will be very prone to burning. Alternatively, omit toasting step if you're not confident with your broiler.
- Evenly drizzle with hot fudge before serving. Cake will keep airtight for up to 5 days noting the graham crackers soften and marshmallows become gooier over time. I store this cake in the fridge because I really like chilled chocolate cakes but you can store it at room temp if preferred.
Adapted from Better-Than-Anything Chocolate Cake
Recipe from Averie Cooks. All images and content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or simply link back to this post for the recipe. Thank you.
Turtle Chocolate Poke Cake – The flavor of the famous candy in a decadent chocolate cake with tons of caramel and pecans! Easy, super soft and moist, and a crowd favorite!
Pumpkin Caramel Poke Cake – Easy and the best pumpkin cake ever! Two kinds of caramel sauce, toffee bits, chocolate chips, whipped topping and more!
Better-Than-Anything Chocolate Cake – Worthy of its name and one of the BEST cakes you will EVER eat! Doesn’t get any better than chocolate, caramel, whipped topping, and candy in an easy, no-mixer cake!
Better-Than-Anything Peanut Butter Cake – A peanut butter lovers dream: PB, PB chips, and PB cups! An easy, no-mixer poke cake that’s drenched with caramel to keep it super moist! Lives up to it’s name and tastes amazing!
Caramel Cream Poke Cake – A creamy caramel mixture soaks into soft yellow cake before being topped with whipped cream and more CARAMEL! An easy cake that’s a guaranteed winner!
Smores Brownie Pie – No campfire? No problem! Fudgy brownies topped with toasted marshmallows & graham cracker crumbs. Best smores ever!
Soft and Chewy Smores Cookies – Loaded with chocolate, marshmallows, and graham crackers!! The best smores you’ll ever eat and no campfire required!!
The Best Chocolate Cake with Chocolate Ganache – The best chocolate cake I’ve ever had and the easiest scratch cake to make! Nothing fussy or complicated and delivers amazing results every time!
The Best and The Easiest Molten Chocolate Lava Cakes – One bowl, no mixer, so easy! The warm, gooey, fudgy chocolate center is heavenly! Better than any restaurant versions!
Slow Cooker Hot Fudge Chocolate Cake – Super soft, gooey, rich, and fudgy! The cake makes its own hot fudge sauce while cooking in the slow cooker! The easiest cake you’ll ever make and it tastes amazing!
White and Dark Chocolate Cream Cheese Chocolate Cake Bars – Chocolate cake with chocolate chips, white chocolate chips and filled with cream cheese! Fast, easy, and foolproof!
Peanut Butter Smores Cookie Pie – A peanut butter and graham cracker cookie underneath gooey marshmallows and melted chocolate! You don’t need a campfire for these easy and AMAZING smores! Grab a spoon and dig in!