One Pot Cheesy Mexican Beef and Rice
I love one pot recipes. I want to be relaxing on the couch after dinner not doing endless dinner dishes.
It has all the ingredients you’d find in a burrito, minus the wrap, and made in a skillet. Anything with Mexican inspired flavors is a hit in our house.
You could incorporate black beans, top with avocado, guacamole, or sour cream. Get creative with your favorite Mexican ingredients.
I used no salt-added tomatoes, medium heat salsa, and medium reduced-sodium taco seasoning. Go as mild or hot as you like.
This was great the day I made it but the flavors married over time and the leftovers were great. They heated up beautifully in the days to follow.
One Pot Cheesy Mexican Beef and Rice
This one pot recipe is easy, hearty, comfort food and it's packed with flavor and texture from the taco-seasoned ground beef, sautéed onions, salsa, tomatoes, corn, rice, cilantro, and cheese. It has all the ingredients you'd find in a burrito, minus the wrap, and made in a skillet. Get creative with your favorite Mexican ingredients. I used no salt-added tomatoes, medium heat salsa, and medium reduced-sodium taco seasoning. Use your favorites.
Yield: serves 6
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: about 30 minutes
Total Time: about 35 minutes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- one pound ground beef (I used 85% lean)
- one small/medium sweet Vidalia or yellow onion, peeled and diced small
- one 1-ounce packet taco seasoning (I used medium, reduced sodium)
- one 14.5 ounce can petite diced tomatoes (I used no salt-added)
- 3/4 cup red salsa (I used medium Herdez)
- 3/4 cup water
- 3/4 cup long-grain rice, uncooked (I used white)
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
- 3/4 cup corn (I used frozen, straight from freezer)
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups finely shredded Mexican cheese blend (or your favorite cheese blend)
- 3 to 4 tablespoons fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- avocado, guacamole, sour cream, etc. for garnishing, optional
- To a large skillet, add the olive oil, ground beef, onion, and heat over medium-high heat to cook. Break up the beef as it cooks and stir onions intermittently to ensure even cooking.
- After beef has cooked through and onions are tender, evenly sprinkle the taco seasoning, add the tomatoes, salsa, water, rice, black pepper, and stir to combine.
- Turn the heat to medium, cover, and allow mixture to simmer for about 25 to 30 minutes or until rice is tender and cooked through. Resist the temptation to lift the lid and stir often. Just let it simmer for at least 20 minutes before doing a quick lid lift to check and also do a quick stir at that point. Re-cover and allow to simmer until rice is done.
- Add the corn and stir to combine.
- Evenly sprinkle with the cheese, cover, and allow cheese to melt and corn to warm through, about 2 minutes.
- Evenly sprinkle with cilantro, any optional garnishes, and serve immediately. Extra will keep airtight in the fridge for up to 5 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Recipe from Averie Cooks. All images and content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or simply link back to this post for the recipe. Thank you.
Cheesy Chicken Enchilada Quinoa – All the flavor of chicken enchiladas, minus the work of rolling them! Juicy chicken, corn, black beans, peppers, and loads of melted cheese! Easy, one-skillet, and ready in 30 minutes!
Cheesy Beef Taco Pie – Your favorite taco ingredients baked into a savory, cheesy pie! Ground beef, tomatoes, tortilla chips, and more! Great for parties, tailgating, or easy family dinners and everyone loves it!
Loaded Beef Taco Salad with Creamy Lime Cilantro Dressing – Loaded with your favorite taco fixings, minus the shells, to keep things healthier without sacrificing any flavor! The dressing is easy, creamy and irresistible!
Easy Six-Layer Baked Taco Cups – Fast, easy, and accidentally healthy! Your favorite taco fixings in individually-portioned cups!
Baked Triple Cheese & Salsa Tortilla Chip Dip – Loaded with 3 kinds of cheese & baked to browned, bubbly, golden perfection! Always a hit at parties!
Chicken Tortilla Lettuce Wraps – Filled with Mexican flavors, there’s taco-seasoned chicken, tomatoes, corn, peppers, cilantro, and cheese! Easy, healthy, ready in 10 minutes, and a family favorite!
Lime Cilantro Chicken with Mixed Rice and Black Beans – Easy, one skillet, 15-minute meal! Tons of textures and bold flavors in every bite! The lime makes this dish just pop!
Avocado, Black Bean and Corn Salad with Lime-Cumin Vinaigrette – Everything tastes better with avocado! Easy, healthy and tons of flavor!
Do-It-Yourself Guacamole Bar – Make your own guacamole bar and have fun taste-testing the options! Great party idea that everyone loves!
Loaded Guacamole Nachos – Fresh, easy homemade guac on top of cheesy chips is totally irresistible! These disappear fast – so good!
Easy Restaurant-Style Blender Salsa – Make your own salsa in minutes! Fast, easy, goofproof and tastes 1000x better than anything you’d buy!
Sweet Potato, Corn, and Black Bean Enchiladas (vegetarian) – Healthier comfort food that everyone will love! Fast, easy, and tastes amazing!
Cheese, Black Beans, and Corn-Stuffed Sweet Potatoes with Avocado Crema (vegan, GF) – A healthy meal or hearty side that’s easy, ready in 15 minutes, satisfying, and doesn’t taste like health food!
Lightened Up Corn and Bean Quesadillas with Avocado-Mango-Chipotle Salsa (vegetarian/vegan option) – You don’t have to derail your diet to enjoy hearty and satisfying comfort food! This version is only about 300 calories and ready in 15 minutes!
Beef Queso Dip – Caramelized onions, ground beef, taco seasoning, and cheese in this fast and easy dip everyone loves! Great for game days, parties, holidays, and events!