Lighter Egg Salad
I love egg salad and I’m super picky about it.
An instant deal-breaker is gloppy, mayo-heavy egg salad that just screams empty calories.
I’ve created this easy recipe that largely uses 0% fat plain Greek yogurt and just a smidge of fat-free mayo.
For crunch there’s a bit of celery while green onions, dill, and Dijon mustard add classic egg salad flavors.
You can doctor it up by adding diced red peppers, Roma tomatoes, dill relish, but I kept this version more traditional, minus the fat and calories. You’ll never miss them.
I used 8 hard-boiled egg whites and 4 yolks, and discarded 4 of the yolks to keep it even lighter, but you can use 8 whole eggs. To keep it squeaky clean, the recipe can be made as egg-white only egg salad but I don’t find it as satisfying without some yolks.
It’s great on sandwiches, crackers, or just right out of the bowl. I can happily sit down to just a bowl of egg salad and polish it off.
Lighter Egg Salad
The recipe largely uses 0% fat plain Greek yogurt and just a smidge of fat-free mayo to keep the egg salad lighter and you’ll never miss the fat and calories. For crunch there’s a bit of celery while green onions, dill, and Dijon mustard add classic egg salad flavors. You can discard the some of the yolksto keep it even lighter and the recipe can be made as egg-white only egg salad. It’s great on sandwiches, crackers, or right out of the bowl.
- 8 hard-boiled large eggs (optionally discard some of the yolks; I use 4 and discard 4)
- 1/2 cup 0% fat plain Greek yogurt, minus 2 tablespoons (or another Greek yogurt; regular yogurt is not recommended for this recipe because it’s too thin)
- 2 tablespoons fat-free mayonnaise (or another mayo)
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard (yellow mustard may be substituted but I prefer Dijon)
- heaping 1/4 cup celery, diced small
- heaping 1/4 cup green onions, sliced thin (about 1 green onion)
- 2 teaspoons fresh or dried dill
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper, or taste
- pinch garlic powder
- pinch sugar, optional (brings out and compliments the salt and spices)
- To a large saucepan, add eggs, cover with 1 inch water, and bring to a boil uncovered over high heat. After water starts boiling, allow it to boil for 10 minutes. Drain water, remove eggs, rinse with cold water, place eggs in an ice bath in a large bowl, and allow them cool until you’re able to peel them. (Or hard-boil the eggs using your favorite method.)
- Slice the eggs (I use all 8 egg whites and 4 yolks and discard the other 4 yolks based on personal preference). I prefer to keep the slices on the bigger side so I can see nice chunks of egg in the egg salad. I use this egg slicer to slice once vertically, then rotate the egg 90 degrees and slice again. If you don’t have one, I recommend hand chopping rather than using a food processor so you don’t pulverize the eggs; set aside.
- To a large bowl, add all remaining ingredients and stir to combine.
- Add the eggs and stir gently to coat evenly. Taste and make any flavor or seasoning adjustments, if necessary. You may need more salt, more pepper, or an extra small dollop of Greek yogurt or mayo (those are the most common adjustments I make). Depending on how cold the eggs were when you peeled them and personal preference, you may need to cover and chill the egg salad for a few hours before serving. Egg salad will keep airtight in the fridge for up to 3 days. Serve with bread, crackers, etc.
All images and content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or simply link back to this post for the recipe. Thank you.
Easy Spinach and Tomato Frittata – Ready in 10 minutes and healthy! Perfect for any meal! Great for using up odds-and-ends veggies, too!
Asparagus, Peas, and Smoked Gouda Frittata – Even the pickiest eaters will eat green vegetables in this healthy, easy, 25 minute recipe!
Creamy and Crispy Hash Browns Frittata – Hash browns, cream-style soup, and eggs. The eggs are creamy and the are potatoes crispy. Easy comfort food!
Vegetable Fried Rice Frittata (vegetarian, GF) – Like a fried rice vegetable stirfry that’s baked into creamy eggs!
Sweet Potato and Mozzarella Egg Skillet (GF) – Easy, cheesy comfort food that’s ready in 15 minutes!
White Cheddar and Dijon Baked Eggs – Fast, easy comfort food that’s ready in 15 minutes! The Dijon and cheese jazz these eggs right up!
Spicy Baked Eggs and Hash Brown Frittata (vegetarian, GF) – Frozen spinach is incorporated in this easy and fast egg dish with a slightly spicy kick!
Spinach and Red Pepper Frittata (vegetarian, GF) – Red peppers, spinach, and eggs are used in this easy and flavorful quickie meal!
100-Calorie Cheese, Vegetable and Egg Muffins – (GF) – Healthy, easy & only 100 calories! You’ll want to keep a stash on hand!